Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
My goals were pretty modest but I've had another terrible year of being paid late (boss still owes me a bunch of money :sigh: ) so I spent most of the year just treading water and trying not to lose ground.

2015 goals:
Maintain 0 balance on all CCs
Failed this one bad. I used my cards to float between paychecks when I wasn't getting paid on time so they ran up pretty high. The highest balance of the year (split between two cards) was around $5100; currently one has a balance of 0 and the other is around $1450 and when I get the rest of the pay I'm owed that'll be back to 0 as well.

Rebuild emergency fund to cover 6mo expenses
Failed :sigh:
But I do at least have an emergency fund again vs last year -- it's just not anywhere near where I want it to be.

Max out IRA and HSA contributions
IRA maxed, haven't started the HSA yet so I only partially failed this one lol
Oh, almost forgot -- I also put the inheritance into a retirement fund. It might have been better to keep it in the efund or use it for the HSA but that was more of an emotional decision than a really rational one, and it was really making me sad to think about pissing it away on daily expenses so I wanted to put it where I couldn't spend it at all.

Once goals 2 & 3 are out of the way start either saving to replace my beater car or pay more aggressively on my mortgage (probably car; it's 10 years old and I want to be ready for repair or replace in the event it craps out on me).
Car is still going but is going to need some repairs soon, I have a pretty reliable and cheap mechanic so I'm not as concerned about trying to replace it immediately though. I'm throwing a little extra on my mortgage payments every month at least.

So overall not a terribly successful year re: goals but considering the bullshit my job has thrown at me the year didn't end as badly as it could have. I know my 2016 goal should be to find a new job, but despite the pay issues I'm unlikely to find something that has as many quality of life perks as this one in my area so I'm going to stick with it for a while yet. I may not get paid on time but I can roll in at noon any day I feel like it and take off freely whenever I want, and when I do manage to get paid it's really good for this area.

Most of the bad stuff happened early on and the last quarter has been pretty good; I've been spending a bit too freely on dumb poo poo in the last couple months but I think I just wanted to cut loose a little after nearly two years of being really tight.

e: added link to original post

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep 13
Sep 6, 2007
"Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's WORK OUT"

Deep 13 posted:

- Max 2015 Roth IRA contributions before the end of the 2015 calendar year--i.e. not using the 15 April 2016 deadline.
- Add $4000 to savings
- Use 2014 budget data to anticipate and evenly fund seasonal travel, insurance premiums, student fees, etc.

- Done!
- Nope, only around a grand added. 4k was a serious reach but a good goal nonetheless.
- Only a medical bill really surprised me here. Otherwise a win for budgeting.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

pig slut lisa posted:

September 2015 update:

-Max out both Roth IRAs and my 457(b)
Status: On pace. Roth IRAs are maxed. My 457(b) is at $15,000 in contributions for the year and should hit $18,000 at the end of November.

-Have wife begin contributions to TSP at new part time job
Status: 98% sure she is contributing enough to get the full TSP match. It's not a huge amount of money since she's still working part time, but once she graduates in May she'll go full time. I'm sure one of the 2016 goals will be to try and get her as close as possible to maxing her contributions during the last 7 months of 2016.

-Increase frequency of grocery shopping trips made by bicycle instead of car, especially between April and October
Status: Our CSA ended early and we got a refund check of $50. Will probably bike to the farmers' market a couple more times to buy from other farmers, although the season is rapidly drawing to a close. Now is the time of year when biking to the grocery store gets tougher, so I'm going to try to bike to the grocery store at least twice in October.

-Keep home alcohol purchases below $50/month
January total $17.99
February total $43.47
March total: $46.28
April total: $35.50
May total: $42.66
June total: $45.79
July total: $73.45
August total: $45.00ish
September total: $45.00ish
Monthly average: $43.90

I'm quite confident we stayed under $50 each month, but I did a bad job tracking precisely

-Designate a purpose for the few thousand we should be getting back in our federal tax refund. Leading contenders here are starting a 529 or holding the money in savings for a lump sum boost for the 2016 IRA cycle.
Started a 529 in August when the market dropped, initial contribution of $2,000. Not even gonna check it til maybe next fall if we have more money to chuck at it.

-Devise a plan for earning enough points/miles for free international business class airfare and at least 4 free hotel nights for a 2016 international vacation.
This is going great. Still no plans made but I have approximately 95K Chase UR points, 100K Amex MR points, 165K AAdvantage miles, 58K Alaska Miles, 55K BA Avios, and decent balances with IHG and Hilton. My wife also has a decent balance in several programs, including 75K Amex MR points, 200K AAdvantage miles, and 50K Alaska miles.

I'll probably one more update before the end of year check in. I'm very pleased with everything so far this year. Next year's goalsetting will be more of a challenge since we'll be getting a big income bump partway through the year and my tax situation remains screwy so who knows what my refund will be.

End of 2015 Final Update:

-Max out both Roth IRAs and my 457(b)

-Have wife begin contributions to TSP at new part time job
Status: She's contributing enough to get the full match, and slightly more besides :peanut:

-Increase frequency of grocery shopping trips made by bicycle instead of car, especially between April and October
Status: On balance, we did not do as well with this as I would have hoped :redass:

-Keep home alcohol purchases below $50/month

-Designate a purpose for the few thousand we should be getting back in our federal tax refund. Leading contenders here are starting a 529 or holding the money in savings for a lump sum boost for the 2016 IRA cycle.
Status: Started a 529 in August when the market dropped, initial contribution of $2,000.

-Devise a plan for earning enough points/miles for free international business class airfare and at least 4 free hotel nights for a 2016 international vacation.
Status: We have enough points/miles to do this and more, although we probably won't take a trip til 2017.

e: I do not deserve the gangtag because I went to Las Vegas last week and broke my rule about not dipping into previous days' winnings/remainders on following days. Ended down $300 farther than I would have had I not done this. Stupid stupid.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 31, 2015

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

1) Max out Roth 401k ($18,000) - DONE
2) Max out Roth IRA via backdoor contribution ($5,500) - DONE
3) Max out HSA (about $2k pre-tax dollars since my employer contributes the rest) - DONE
4) Establish emergency fund of $20,000 - Decided to keep it at $5,000 and instead plow money into investments, see below
5) Establish a taxable investment account at vanguard of $10,000 for index funds to further save for retirement - Contributed $45,000 instead
6) Save up an extra $5,500 at the end of the year so that when Jan 1 2016 comes around I can immediately max out IRA again instead of waiting - DONE

Overall exceeded goals by ~$20,000

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I didn't really earn the gang tag this year :( it's hard to plan for a full 365 that far in advance!

Original post:

fuzzy_logic posted:

Goals for next year, by priority:

- stick to the new itemized budget. Shuffle money between categories as needed instead of pulling money out of savings.
- save up deposit for move
- collect old deposit from annoying roommates after move instead of avoiding the issue because they're too annoying, seriously it's a lot of money and I owe some of it to someone else
- pay off smallest loan
- double e-fund to 8k
- start some kind of retirement savings, either 401 or IRA, do some research self
- attack the highest interest loan and at least half it
- restock the etsy store and try to at least cover my hobby expenses there

Bring it year of the sheep! :homebrew:

oh and: don't start smoking again!

eta: just set all my loans to autopay every month and discovered that all but one of them gets a .25% interest reduction as a result. already making progress!

After this I moved to a new neighborhood and quit my job, got a job working in the public sector so my income went down but I now have a pension so yay retirement saving!
Final accomplishments:

1 - doing ok at this but blew it after switching jobs and again in December
2 - did this
3 - annoying roommates skipped town, I chose not to bother chasing them into another state
4 - did this
5 - failed! but I did get my savings back to pre-move levels very quickly
6 - this was done for me lol, involuntary pretax pension withdrawals
7 - failed! highest interest loan started out at 9900 and is now 7500
8 - failed! didn't sell a drat thing this year

That's a less than 50% success rate but at least I don't hate my job and my roommates now

on the plus side, total loans dropped below 50k and I'm starting to finally feel optimistic about paying them off - the website shows me how many months I take off the life of the loan every time I overpay and as of right now I have owed $0 on them for about four months but am still overpaying.

Also I'm 2 years not smoking, I think it finally took this time :peanut:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

fuzzy_logic posted:

Also I'm 2 years not smoking, I think it finally took this time :peanut:

:respek: nice job here!

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Original goals | Horrible $12K tax bill in February | End of Q2 | November (includes updates on goals 1-3)

1. Maintain maximum funding of 401k + match, 403b, and Roth IRAs DONE
2. If I don't have a job starting fall 2015, pick up a lecture or two to max my 457b DONE
3. Decide where we're going to save for college and begin DONE
4. At least $30K to investments. Don't spend too much on the baby, future us, PLEASE!...I marked this as a fail in November, but we rallied and saved up 15K as of today. Plus the 12K tax bill that means we’re only 3K short of the 30K I wanted us to save this year. Coincidentally, that’s about how much we spent on baby stuff…so I'm calling this a NOT BAD!

Happy 2016! Tag me please!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I'll take the gang tag as well. I met and exceeded my goals in the most roundabout fashion possible. That and the tag is ironic because I don't live in the US and the New Zealand equivalent retirement savings account is the one with the lowest balance (due to there only being a small tax advantage to myself).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Claverjoe posted:

I'll leave it to the person behind the tag if you think I deserve the sweet gang tag.
Well, I looked at your post and thought about it and the tag says "401k" and one of your goals was retirement savings and your end of year post says "no retirement account" and I had to come down on the side of no :( sorry man. Keep plugging away, this'll be a hell of a lot easier once some of your temporary stuff has passed and you did good reducing the credit card instead of increasing it!

spwrozek posted:

So I leave it up to you slap me silly.
Both of you in good shape after the divorce and you paid down a bunch of loans, that's a win in my book.

pig slut lisa posted:

e: I do not deserve the gangtag because I went to Las Vegas last week and broke my rule about not dipping into previous days' winnings/remainders on following days. Ended down $300 farther than I would have had I not done this. Stupid stupid.
All the other stuff more than made up for this one-time failure of sanity so I gave you the tag anyway. I can always take it away again if you beg nicely :)

Devian666 posted:

I'll take the gang tag as well. I met and exceeded my goals in the most roundabout fashion possible.
Hmm, a lot of what happened was outside your control, basically you're claiming market movements and acts of god as success at your goals which is not in the spirit of the thread :) Did you at least maintain the $88/mo into the kiwisaver account all year?

Not going to bother listing all the others. If I missed yours, holler at me. Nice work, everyone, and keep at it!

• Locked thread