Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Aerofallosov posted:

Lawyer up, clear out the identity fraud, get a new SSN. When I get work, I intend to have a no over draft debit card and a small (~200 dollar) credit card. I am likely going to have to declare bankruptcy, and it sucks. But that's where the lawyer comes in to talk to me and see what we can do (as well as what the best option is). And hey, thanks to Obamacare, I won't have to be uninsured and deal with the monster medical costs that entails.

Currently, I am looking at lawyers I can afford, applying to jobs (building up my linkedin network, working on my resume, slinging resumes and cover letters at jobs, talking to people) and keeping on an even keel as best as I can. I also intend to use low cost health care until my insurance and such kicks in. It's going to be a very long term process, yes. But it'll get there. When student loans come up, I will talk to Great Lakes to see which payment plan option is best for me - or if I need more forbearance. They told me I was a bit early to start asking when I last contacted them.

Once things are reasonably steady, or as soon as I can, I definitely want to pick up a copy of you need a budget to help make sure I stick to my budget and build savings. I also intend to make sure I get a job that, you know, actually pays me.

That sounds like a great plan. Excited to hear how it turns out for you this year! :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

2014 was an alright year, other than for the car accident in December and having to say goodbye to my first car. At least I got about 5k for it, which was more than I thought.

2015 Goals:
1.) Work toward something for better/more? employment. I have got to get some sort of skill under my belt, and at the position I'm at now I have't really been able to add anything to my resume for a bit. That thankfully seems to be changing and with a possible minor promotion/raise and more responsibilities coming up, but we'll see.
2.) Try not to freak out at the auto loan. $130/mo, 4.5%, 7 to pay off after a down payment of 3, leaving about 2k left over. Even with this added to the budget, still in the green. Plus going from roughly 20 to roughly 30 mpg should help.
3.) Try and rebuild the checking, which is down to about 4k after the down payment and best manning a wedding. Figure out if I want to put the roughly 5k into the checking or start a savings somewhere. Would appreciate thoughts/advice on this.
4.) Keep trimming some fat: go back to not eating out for lunch!!! for one, and doing alright so far the new year. Keep an eye on groceries. These tend to be the two main holes, everything else is under control.
5.) Keep at least the 5% 401k I'm at now, for the max employer match.

Really would love a better/additional income source.

Non-financial goal:
Keep working out, started in 2014, fell off after accident, gotta get back on.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
My goals are pretty basic, as I do not know a ton of finances.

0. Get a job
1. Learn to budget
2. Pay off CC debt (1,500)
3. Work on longer term debt (I guess student loans? I also have medical bills, but I'm meeting with someone to determine the lowest I can give without being hassled)
4. Create an emergency fund

So do I just come back to this thread in a year and see which ones I actually did?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

My goals are pretty basic, as I do not know a ton of finances.

0. Get a job
1. Learn to budget
2. Pay off CC debt (1,500)
3. Work on longer term debt (I guess student loans? I also have medical bills, but I'm meeting with someone to determine the lowest I can give without being hassled)
4. Create an emergency fund

So do I just come back to this thread in a year and see which ones I actually did?
No, you should post in the budget thread and make a concrete plan to do all these steps. Just waiting a year to see what happens isn't going to get you anywhere. What kind of job are you looking for? Have you posted your resume here for feedback?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Very late to the party but here goes

1) Be free of consumer debt, which stands at around $6,000
2) Have 3 months of expenses saved up
3) Budget all year (I stopped for 3 months)
4) Do these things and be able to afford to go to EVO 2015
5) Donate $700 to charity

It's fairly simple overall because about 1k of that consumer debt is in dumb collections that need to be removed all together. The rest is a credit card that is at 5 grand. I hate that stupid thing but It also allowed me to survive while being under/unemployed out of college. If I get a bonus this year it'll be really simple.

I didn't write this in 2014, but that year I paid back 8k in debt alone (while getting hosed by interest) so I think I'll have an easy time hitting those goals this year. I also didn't get a substantial bonus last year because I was too new to the company. Wish me luck everyone.

I forgot about the charitable donations I set up. My company matches them dollar for dollar and I feel better funding a scholarship that's important.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 13, 2015

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
My plan is fairly simple. Recent graduate school grad.

1. Get a job that pays 50k+.
2. Create a frugal living budget.
3. Save up an emergency fund of 10k.
4. Maintain frugal living budget, but now use the income previously for emergency fund to pay off student debt.

I did a rough excel sheet and I think I could do it in 3 years.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

moana posted:

Financial Goals for 2015:

- Sell my house
- Continue to make six figures with writing
- Continue to max out IRAs, HSAs, and solo 401ks

Can you explain how you're making six figures with writing?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

a shameful boehner posted:

Can you explain how you're making six figures with writing?
Sure, there's a few goons over in the Creative Convention self-publishing thread who are making a more than decent living at it. If you're interested, come post there! Basically I wrote 7 romance novels last year, had a couple breakout hits, and I plan to expand my catalog by writing 12 more novel-length works this year since I quit my day job. Woop woop for not wearing pants!

Don't get me wrong, it's loving difficult work, creative work, and you have to dedicate yourself to learning how to market your books if you want to do well. You can't write whatever you want, you have to write to the market. I'm not planning on writing as a long-term career, Amazon is way too fickle for that. Sometimes I have $5k months, sometimes I have $30k months, and the income is super variable.

My goals in the next few years:
- 2015: write my butt off, save six figures, sell my expensive house., buy a house with the profits
- 2016: semi-retire, start a family
- 2017++, depending on how soon book royalties dry up: head back into the ever-lucrative field of education (I actually have an interview tomorrow for a part-time position teaching robotics and STEM stuff because dang it, I can't get the education bug out of my rear end :v: )

This past year I had $250k income and $40k expenses not including the mortgage. So I'm hoping by the time I have to get another job, my mortgage is gone and my work doesn't have to be well-paying to cover my expenses. It's a gold rush now though over at Amazon, so I'm making hay while the sun shines. Hope that helps, please feel free to PM me with more questions if you'd like to try your hand at it!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
That sounds kind of fun and interesting. I'll have to look at the thread.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I'll be your Fabio for your covers if you'll give me 10%.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

moana posted:

This past year I had $250k income and $40k expenses not including the mortgage. So I'm hoping by the time I have to get another job, my mortgage is gone and my work doesn't have to be well-paying to cover my expenses. It's a gold rush now though over at Amazon, so I'm making hay while the sun shines. Hope that helps, please feel free to PM me with more questions if you'd like to try your hand at it!

Not to derail but I just want to say how awesomely refreshing it is to see posts like this. I love to hear about people who are killing it by thinking outside the box. I'm assuming you're generous with your advice because it is a lot harder than it sounds...I mean, any time I flashback to the horrors of writing 10-page papers in college and my balls retreat to my stomach. I can't imagine writing a novel.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I'll be your Fabio for your covers if you'll give me 10%.
I charge $100-$200 for covers for other authors. If you send me Fabio pics that I end up selling as covers I will give you half of what I make, but you're not getting your grubby hands on my book royalties ;)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 13, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

moana posted:

I charge $100-$200 for covers for other authors. If you send me Fabio pics that I end up selling as covers I will give you half of what I make, but you're not getting your grubby hands on my book royalties ;)

:stonk: Oh no, you just gave him the pricing information he needs to set himself up as a competitor and undercut you!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

If I didn't have mad cover design skillz I'd be worried, BRING IT BITCHES

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Creative writing jobs are the best jobs.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Veskit posted:

Very late to the party but here goes

1) Be free of consumer debt, which stands at around $6,000
2) Have 3 months of expenses saved up
3) Budget all year (I stopped for 3 months)
4) Do these things and be able to afford to go to EVO 2015

It's fairly simple overall because about 1k of that consumer debt is in dumb collections that need to be removed all together. The rest is a credit card that is at 5 grand. I hate that stupid thing but It also allowed me to survive while being under/unemployed out of college. If I get a bonus this year it'll be really simple.

I didn't write this in 2014, but that year I paid back 8k in debt alone (while getting hosed by interest) so I think I'll have an easy time hitting those goals this year. I also didn't get a substantial bonus last year because I was too new to the company. Wish me luck everyone.
Good goals, may I suggest another one?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Dude has sub 3 months worth of e-fund and 6k of consumer debt. He totally needs to get rid of those first. He's got his priorities right. (Well maybe put the EVO 2015 money into a roth...)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

EX METH HEADS MAKE THE BEST SPONSORS IN NA OK.

Bloody Queef posted:

Dude has sub 3 months worth of e-fund and 6k of consumer debt. He totally needs to get rid of those first. He's got his priorities right. (Well maybe put the EVO 2015 money into a roth...)

Don't take it too seriously I know where I'm at. Also I have a matched ROTH 401k that I use.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Veskit posted:

Don't take it too seriously I know where I'm at. Also I have a matched ROTH 401k that I use.

I usually am apt to give you poo poo, but your goals are solid. You're in a less than ideal situation (but not a bad one) and your goal is to get out of it. That's to be commended.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Joint/Married household

Student Loan Debt = $21,350
Emergency Fund = $1500
Family Loan Debt = $4000
Car Loan = $18500

GOALS

- TRACK MY drat BUDGET. I am on and off on this one over the past 5 years, this year I'll have 12 solid months tracked damnit!
- Put $740/month towards student and car loan payments (this will actually pay above the minimums).
- Use bonuses/gift money to pay off the highest remaining interest student loan in full ~$1800.
- Bolster Emergency Fund to $6000.
- Pay half of family loan debt.
- Help my wife expand her fledgling photography business, 400% gross profit increase from last year (Q4 2014 was 95% of the business).
- Sell second house (that I am currently renting at break-even).*

*If this goes really well my goals will get crushed by the summer from the profit of selling the house...we shall see.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 13, 2015

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm just joshin Veskit with that gif.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

moana posted:

Financial Goals for 2015:

- Sell my house
- Continue to make six figures with writing
- Continue to max out IRAs, HSAs, and solo 401ks

haha gently caress off

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

at the date posted:

haha gently caress off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBY29rBlkbc

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

pig slut lisa posted:

That sounds like a great plan. Excited to hear how it turns out for you this year! :cheers:

Thanks! I have a bank account in the US now, talking to a couple of pro bono places to see who can fit me in/low income places. At least I have it now set to where if anything is opened with my SSN, they call me. FTC forms got sent off, so I'll see how that goes. Still not a fan of my mom.

Thanks to glickeroo, I have a copy of YNAB, so that's 1/6th down. I'm reading at least one step on their guide a night and playing with it a bit. I'm checking around jobs, and trying to focus in on what I want vs what I can do if I can't get what I want vs the last ditch I don't want to starve job. Some of my family works at a local gas station and they'll take me if nothing pans out soon (the temp workers are going home/none of them applied to stay on). So I won't be totally out and starving, and I get to look after dad even if his political stance makes me want to jump out a window. Plus, they give you 2-4 extra bucks an hour for night shift. Owls, represent.

Also likely eligible for very low cost or medicare health care. Hooray for free to 10 dollar doctor visits.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

2015 goals:

- max out my Roth IRA
- have $10k in my savings account by the end of the year
- pay off my private student loan (down to $4k from $20k in 4 years hell yeah)
- keep working on getting my teaching license so I can leave my terrible job and move closer to my sick mom
- start planning for having babies and stuff :3:

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Realized that I will be well over the Roth IRA income limit this year. I will switch that money to housing downpayment fund.

Nah, contribute to a Roth with the backdoor method instead: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Backdoor_Roth_IRA

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

2015: goals

I started b-school last fall and have had a hell of a time adjusting to student life after working for 5 years.
I was crunching my expenses for the past 5 months and realized that my monthly expense has been about 5 grand per month excluding tuition...

I've come up with a monthly budget with the aim of cutting that by 20%.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SlapActionJackson posted:

Nah, contribute to a Roth with the backdoor method instead: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Backdoor_Roth_IRA

Yeah, I'm thinking about this, but I looked at my Roth IRA and I actually have way more money in there than I thought (oops), so the housing downpayment is a higher priority anyway.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
- Buy a house
- Do 250K in sales through the business
- Pay self 36K this year (lol yeah right)
- continue to keep a detailed budget.
- get 5k in home improvement fund
- flip a couple of cars
- put $4,000 in IRA
- keep expenses under $1800 per month
- go on a drat vacation
- Take at least one full day off per week

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

My dumb loving law firm to earn an additional 40% in revenue and to decrease costs by 25%.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Leroy Diplowski posted:

- Buy a house
- Do 250K in sales through the business
- Pay self 36K this year (lol yeah right)
- continue to keep a detailed budget.
- get 5k in home improvement fund
- flip a couple of cars
- put $4,000 in IRA
- keep expenses under $1800 per month
- go on a drat vacation
- Take at least one full day off per week

I just realized I think I paid myself roughly poverty levels of money

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

ZenVulgarity posted:

I just realized I think I paid myself roughly poverty levels of money

Yeah, I paid myself 21K last year up from 14K the year before. Also, I am supporting a family of 4 . But hey, there's WIC and food stamps, flipping cars and bartending under the table. Life ain't so bad. Also, there's some really kickass programs in my area to convince poor people to buy houses. I would imagine a lawyer would have the mindset and knowledge to get some government cheese to help things along.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Yeah, I paid myself 21K last year up from 14K the year before. Also, I am supporting a family of 4 . But hey, there's WIC and food stamps, flipping cars and bartending under the table. Life ain't so bad. Also, there's some really kickass programs in my area to convince poor people to buy houses. I would imagine a lawyer would have the mindset and knowledge to get some government cheese to help things along.

Most of the time it's done that should be illegal but is done somehow legally.

Grants are fun, btw

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

james1844 posted:

Please do let us know how you're able to work this out. My wife and I have three investment properties, but we keep getting denied by the banks - I think the concern is that we have too many mortgages. So if you're able to solve the problem of how to get more property without bank financing, It would be great to hear about it - so far I haven't seen a good model.

The 6 I had a shot at temporarily fell through as one guy in the deal just had a major personal situation come up. I got two offers on cheapo fixer uppers out now, I think one will get accepted and the other will not. Sent out 607 targeted letters last Thursday.

I tried to PM you. Have you looked into a portfolio loan? I have some other stuff I was gonna say in the PM also.

My dumb side thinks I should quit my job and focus on this full time, but my analytical side says no way. If I can turn three deals in 60 days I'm going for it though, I got like 9 months of living expenses (separate from business funds) and a unique niche without much competition.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
2014 was a weird year for me. It was pretty great financially, but ended with a bunch of e/n stuff not germane to BFC.
Good:
- Got promoted
- Bought a house with a 20% down payment
- Saved 1/3 of the value of that down payment back into investments
- Expanded emergency fund to be able to absorb major home repair (roof, furnace, etc) separate from investments

Bad:
- e/n nonsense means I have (or had, at the start of 2015) more house and vehicles than I need
- During e/n nonsense I bought a new car for myself, which is not spectacular decision making on my part. It's on a 0% APR deal, but still. Not a great way to deal with problems or use money.

So, since 2014 got all weird on me, 2015 is going to be about fiscal improvement. I'm cheating a bit, since I've accomplished two of my goals already since I'm posting more than 3 weeks into the year

Goals:
- Sell the car my ex drove (done, sold it to her, for KBB value)
- Get a roommate/renter (done, $500/mo and 1/3 of utilities in my pocket)
- Save another 1/3 of that down payment amount back.
- Don't blow all my discretionary income on having a social life
- Get back on the YNAB train. I fell off during the e/n spell.

Stretch goal:
- Maybe get a second roommate? There's still another bedroom open.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Ribsauce posted:

By the end of 2015 I will have 10 properties I am receiving checks off of monthly,

Got 1 locked up, 3 total, 7 to go, looking at 2 more this week.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

District Selectman posted:

I'm going to set a 2015 goal to hit $175k in non-retirement liquid assets by the end of 2015 :yum:

End of December 2014 to almost end of January 2015, up from $97k to $110k. On my way :yum:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

2015 will be one of the most expensive years for us. We have a newborn and in February we'll have two kids in daycare to the tune of $1200/mo. Our daughter is already on some pretty expensive formula, diapers for two kids, etc. adds up really quick. My main goal is to mostly just stay afloat and not spend more money than we make.

2015 Financial Goals
  • Continue contributing to retirement accounts and kids 529 plans
  • Pay off our car ($9500 owed)

I'm also hoping to work less in 2015, it's been a very busy year for me and not bringing my work home with me will be a wonderful change of pace.

I have about the most halfassed goals, and I even cheated because we paid off our car prior to 2015. But progress is progress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

dreesemonkey posted:

I have about the most halfassed goals, and I even cheated because we paid off our car prior to 2015. But progress is progress!

Don't look at it that way. Imagine how embarrassing it would be if you didn't meet even the goals you view as easy! By that measure you're a smashing success so far.

• Locked thread