Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

slap me silly posted:

Who knew you could collect this much useless poo poo in one place in five short years.

One carload of useless poo poo has been excised from the premises! This is a financial win because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

goal #3 is done, roommates say they'll give back the whole deposit but because they are not very good with money I may not be getting it until May at the earlierest. ~_~

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Time for a check in. I might need new goals in July.

Goals for 2015:

Emergency fund up to 15K Various cash buckets sum to $13,630, which can be relabeled "emergency" as necessary.
Maxed IRA 3.5 months in and IRA contributions at $3400. 3 paycheck January really helped.
(Stretch) Track cash spending in YNAB Tracking with maybe $10/month of manual balance adjustments. I'm ok with that.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

My goals are pretty basic, as I do not know a ton of finances.

0. Get a job
1. Learn to budget
2. Pay off CC debt (1,500)
3. Work on longer term debt (I guess student loans? I also have medical bills, but I'm meeting with someone to determine the lowest I can give without being hassled)
4. Create an emergency fund

So do I just come back to this thread in a year and see which ones I actually did?

Going to try and give a better description into my goals and what I did, etc than last time. Call me out on dumb thinking. Also, I need to set realistic goals. Why would I say I would respond eveyr week when I know I would be very unlikely to do that??

0. I have not secured a job. However--------

I started off in December applying crazily. I applied through Dice and a variety of companies' pages. I spent 2 hours a day for a week and did this. School began again and I had less time to devote to it. But applying like that wasn't very smart and I would burn out after awhile anyway. So I started doing more LinkedIn stuff (and tried to follow the thread). I did not apply to jobs yet, I just tried to network with recruiters.

Then around early February I applied to some places on my college's network system. I got an interview or two. I had some before but this was the first one I felt pretty good about. I haven't heard back, but I think I was more confident and thorough through the process. Now I am applying on LinkedIn through their job listings and I feel like I am getting more people. I'm hopeful.

1. Well I know to budget you need some max number. But I never paid enough attention to specifics that I couldn't guess. So in Jan I kept track of what I bought. Then I decided what a reasonable max would be based on that. But I'm having problems because I am in college and have ended up on my campus while school was out. This is a problem because I am in a small campus in a small town. So I have to feed myself on the local grocer vs a large chain. Walmart is a 40 min walk, but its been winter for awhile.

Also, I noticed I dip into other budgeted items. Like maybe I buy less of one thing and buy more of another. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. I will post my specific budget and comments in a day or two. This is a wall of text already.

I am nervous because I just entered spring break. So I know my costs are going up because I need to eat, but they shouldn't deviate too much. I am going to be going out more this week, but I think it doesn't have to end up overly expensive, but let's see if it ends up like that.

2. LOL. NO. I am going to make a try to make a small dent this month, but because I know my eating costs are up I am not going to pay as much money this month, but compensate next month. I will hit min this month regardless.

3. Still in school so I did not bother with student debt. I have a ton of medical bills, but I am working out a deal between the bills and my school's insurance. I had to fix a few things with the insurance company and that took like 3 weeks. I was surprised it was so slow. My school has a small fund for bills related to mental health, and those are basically all my bills. The school will pay for most but I'm in the process of working it out. I don't even know which bills will be taken care of yet so I don't know what to do. I did pay a bill completely off in February. This one wasn't medical, but was $600 which is a big chunk for me.

4. Its probably dumb but I feel like I shouldn't save until I pay off my debt (C.C mainly).

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Late to the party but I wanted to share.

1) Max out my TFSA. Currently I have about $3,000 in contribution room remaining so I am going to hit this way earlier than I expected due to forgetting to account for a contribution in kind I made from an unregistered savings account.
2) Save up for LASIK ($2000-$4000?)
3) Stretch goal - hit $100,000 personal net worth. This is unlikely as I am at $70,000 now and if I continue to contribute $2,000/mo I will need it to grow around 13% in the remaining 9 months. One can wish.
4) Long term goal is I think I have a plan to get $1,000,000 in liquid assets with my partner within 11 years, and still maintaining a decent standard of living in Vancouver, and all doable on our current household income of around $130,000. Any raises would just accelerate the timeline.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Missed this thread somehow (teach me to mainly browse with bookmarks).

Goals for 2015.
1) Save most of money for 2016 wedding and honeymoon.
2) Increase income by 20% (Im underpaid for market so its either getting my ducks in a row and :yotj: or negotiating this at current company)
3) Continue to contribute 20% of gross to pretax retirement accounts.
4) Get 50% of way to maxing our equivalent of a roth. (Which is way better for flexibility as there are no restrictions on withdrawls). Current cap is about $20-25k depening on exchange rate.
5) Pay off the last of my debt aside from the mortgage. ($5k give or take).
6) liquidate assets from expensive hobbies I no longer pursue.

5 is happening this payday (bonus month hurrah). Hardest is the Roth equivalent.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

I just finished taxes and I have finances on my mind. It's also now the 2nd quarter of the calendar year, so time for an update.

I'm realizing a need to adjust my withholdings. This was my first tax year filing single in a long time, and I ended up with a large refund. Part of this is deducting alimony, but my alimony amount (vs what's classified as debt in the divorce) isn't that much and I will have the deduction next year as well. Last year I claimed 1 allowance on my W4, and I'm going to adjust that to 2 or perhaps 3 which I am researching now.

I'm also trying to right-size my budget. In 2014 I spent an average of 4k /month in total, but that does include reimbursable work expenses, divorce debt, and other unique things like putting together a bachelor pad and going on awkward dates. This past month total expenditure was $3400, and I've been trying to whisk excess into my emergency fund savings.

sweet_jones posted:

2014 was one of those best of times, worst of times years. My emergency fund took a big hit. I pillaged my middle-term savings. But I also wrapped up a divorce and got a better job. So onwards and upwards.

2015 Financial Goals

1. Rebuild cash reserves to include:
18k Emergency Fund (currently $2,832) ;
5k Middle-Term Savings (currently $1,006) this is what I call generic savings for possible house, new car, etc;
1k kept in the worthless savings account tied to my checking account, intent being to not touch my emergency fund again. This is there now, goal is to keep that throughout the year.

Update 1: My online savings account is at $6,124 and I have 1K in the savings account tied to my checking account. E-fund total: $7,124. While I believe 18k is a good goal for me to have this year, with budget on mind now I'm realizing 18k clearly isn't 6 months of expenses. Goal for next year identified. Haven't done anything with the other account.

quote:

2. Max Roth IRA and HSA again.
2014 ended up being the first year I did both. This year, these will be funded by direct deposit each pay period.

Update 1: On track.

quote:

3. Increase net worth to 110k (currently 80.1k).
This should be the outcome of the above plus finishing divorce debt, by my calculations.

Update 1: Net worth $96,181 - this has gone very well thanks to debt elimination and good returns on retirement accounts.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Claverjoe posted:

Holy howling hell, 39k for post tax income? Impressive. *Edit* I thought that was per month. Oops.

my goals:
Pay for wedding ~5k (her parents insisted on paying a huge chunk of it)
Pay off credit cards: ~5.4k (should be a lot less after I get my move reimbursement)
save up for another car ~5k
Pay down student loans ~20k
start retirement account (grad school sucks for that, and I've only just got a good paying job)

Income:
3.9k per month
Expenses:
2k per month (rent, utilities, food, fiancee's utilities)

Hope to get some side cash from doing after hours work for a startup, fixing up the place for my landlord for rent considerations, plus possibly renting out my place during the Masters golf tournament.

So, check in:

Wedding: Paid for! Fun was had by all!
Credit cards: Roughly about the same. drat wedding expenses, especially when we insist on taking care of the unexpected stuff.
Car situation: Well, I got a new car way ahead of schedule (transmission was going in my old car, did a trade-in and purchase, thank god the rate is 2% simple on a 19k note, car should be good for a decade, as I got a well rated hybrid car)
Student loans: On top of it
Retirement account: Prioritizing the credit cards, since returns aren't going to be equal to cards.

Not where I want to be, but traveling between here and Dallas (where my wife is in med school) is not cheap. Its about $300 a trip, when flight/airport parking/gas/fun stuff is accounted for. Hopefully when she comes over for the summer I can work more on the savings of things. Praise the dark lord Ross Perot who makes her MD/Phd. program free with a small $25kish stipend so we aren't royally screwed with debt.

Expect to have the credit cards paid off by the end of the year. Maybe 1-2k to toss into a vanguard account if I stick with being frugal. I want to do that to my 2nd bonus paycheck month. I get paid biweekly, and my first month with an extra paycheck will go towards credit card reduction, and hopefully the 2nd one will be used for eliminating the rest of the CC debt/kick starting a Roth IRA.

Startup is probably a no-go for now, landlord is on board with me on the whole "rehab house for some rent off" stuff. Also have permission to do AirBnB stuff with his place, just obey the 10 day limit. Sadly, the place won't be ready for this year's Master's Tournament, so no renting out my place for a week to get a 4k boost this year. Next year though it'll be ready.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Congrats on getting married within your financial goals :toot:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Well, sorry to drag the thread down, but my wife and I are separating. At least we have our debts paid off (apart from a pretty small student loan of hers) and a small chunk of savings to help out. And we're on speaking terms, so the chances of self-immolation by lawyer are pretty small.

Anyway, my financial goals for the year will need some revision once the dust settles. I worked out a monthly budget for myself alone, and it looks like I'll still be able to put away $500 a month, so that's something. :unsmith:

Yay for ending being married within our financial goals :suicide:

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Well, sorry to drag the thread down, but my wife and I are separating. At least we have our debts paid off (apart from a pretty small student loan of hers) and a small chunk of savings to help out. And we're on speaking terms, so the chances of self-immolation by lawyer are pretty small.

Anyway, my financial goals for the year will need some revision once the dust settles. I worked out a monthly budget for myself alone, and it looks like I'll still be able to put away $500 a month, so that's something. :unsmith:

Yay for ending being married within our financial goals :suicide:

I know of a couple that essentially can't divorce because they are upside down in over 700k in debt and don't make enough individually to separate debts/assets. This is probably good news in a messed up way :unsmith:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

2015 Goals: (In order of priority, highest to lowest)

#1 - Under no circumstances have children or buy a house.
#2 - Pay down $45,000 of principal on my wife's student loans. Stretch Goal: Pay off the remaining $14K too, and be debt-free!
#3 - Grow side-business income by 33% ($91K revenue). Stretch Goal: Grow side-business income by 75% ($121K revenue).
#4 - Do one stress-reduction activity every month (massage, art therapy, whatever). This might not seem like a financial goal, but I stressed myself out in 2014 to the point of medical intervention and was unable to run my side-biz for five months. It's better for my careers if I stay sane.
#5 - Keep or lose my day job as best fits the monetary goals above. I hate the damned thing, but money is money until my wife's loans are paid off.

Final Update for 1Q2015:

#1 - NO BABIES. Tada!
#2 - AHEAD OF PACE. I just wrote a check for $14,706 for the month, bringing my total loan repayments for the first quarter to $20,206. This is ahead of pace for the primary goal and roughly on pace for the stretch goal. I wanted to pay between $15K-19K, but I ended up losing the medical bill dispute rather badly. gently caress my insurance company, but at least it's "only" $9,300 and not something that will bankrupt me.
#3 - ON TRACK (or close enough). $13,691 in side-biz revenue received so far this year, but 2/3rds of checks received are Net 60 from last year's sales. I'm averaging $8K a month for YTD sales and growing rapidly, so I'm perfectly okay with where this is going.
#4 - ON TRACK. I got March back in control again for stress reduction, and I have relaxing plans already scheduled for April. Yay.
#5 - RESOLVED. Retain job through at least July, revisit goal then. This fits current monetary goals and avoids the indenture penalty associated with leaving my current job.

When I started the crazy-accelerated loan repayment in January of 2014, the combined balance for my wife's loans and my own was $141,900. We have only $39K left now. I'm so close to being done with that loan that it's starting to drive me batty.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Quarterly Report:

- Max out IRAs (myself and wife) for 2014 and 2015 tax years and 401k for 2015
Maxed out IRAs for 2014 tax year. On track for maxing out 401k. Gotta wait until I accumulate some more cash before I max out IRAs for 2015.
- Net worth to $160,000 (currently around 110,000 I think)
A little over 150k right now. Big jump in January and then February, first from annual bonus, then from a year's worth of RSUs vesting. 160k was probably still too conservative a goal, but at least this way I'll be able to blow past it!
- Get a decent number of points to travel around on via churning
Yeah I gave up on this. I just don't feel like it's worth the time/effort right now with the amount of travel we do. I definitely want to try again someday though.

Non-financial 2015 Goals:

- Win more games of Starcraft in the inter-corporate gaming league I play in than I did last season (3).
Currently at 3 wins (and 1 loss). Just one more, shouldn't be too hard as currently our team is #1 in the league. Should push our captain to put me in for the first round of playoffs when we'll (probably) be up against the #32 seed. :)
- Set new personal records for bench 1rm and mile run on my 30th birthday in November (aiming for 125% of body weight and < 6:30 respectively)
Will start working on this after Starcraft season is over. For now the only exercise I'm getting is biking to work.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I'm really glad we are doing the monthly/quarterly updates. This is a really neat thread to follow.

I am waiting until the 16th of April to post my next update because poo poo is getting real right now and even though the numbers are overall incredibly positive, they are teetering in red from day to day. Self-employment taxes make me cry
:qqsay:

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

District Selectman posted:

I'm going to set a 2015 goal to hit $175k in non-retirement liquid assets by the end of 2015 :yum:

End of December 2014 to almost end of January 2015, up from $97k to $110k. On my way :yum:

End of February 2015, up to $127k. Killing it :yum:

March: $144k so that's cool :yum:

This will slow down, but I think $200k is within reach this year

Mantle
May 15, 2004

March: $144k so that's cool :yum:

This will slow down, but I think $200k is within reach this year

drat, can you share your portfolio weightings?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

MrKatharsis posted:

This year was good. Got a car and a motorcycle, maxed my 401k and Roth IRA. Plenty in the emergency fund and we've been debt free for a few years.

2015 goals:
Move closer to work (and keep my job)
Max retirement accounts again.
Move leftover HSA to a bank with smaller fees.
Cash flow veterinary expenses for my sick cat.
Take a nice vacation.

1) Not moving yet. Lease expires in August and my spouse's job situation is uncertain.
2) On track
3) On track to spend it all this year so whatevs.
4) On track
5) Hopefully will still happen.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The long term investment thread would not approve

My retirement portfolio is pretty conservative though

District Selectman fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 27, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Nail Rat posted:

-sell the condo and move to the city
-add 3k to emergency fund(this will make it 6-7 months)
-contribute 6k to 401k
-contribute 5500 to IRA
-contribute 3350 to HSA
-finish the year by paying off the loan I'll doubtlessly need to sell the loving condo

-I'm moving to an apartment where I want to live in May, cutting my commute time per week by at least 20 hours and making it so I no longer have to adhere to a train schedule of any kind, and no longer will need to drive to the grocery store or the gym, or anywhere really. I'm even considering selling my (paid-off) car maybe this fall, which would save me $60 a month in car insurance and maybe get me a few k. However, the condo has not sold yet and I'd have to take a 30k loan out to sell it where it is priced at currently, so I'm not going any lower. If it doesn't sell by late summer I'm going to rent it out instead and kick the can down the road.
-Done on the emergency fund additions! The condo is a constant sense of frustration but it's nice to have 15k on hand.
-On track for the 401k contributions (this doesn't include match, either). I will probably up the contributions assuming I get a decent raise in July.
-On track for the IRA.
-On track for the HSA.
-See the first part. If I rent the place out I won't end up needing to take out that loan (for now). Never loving buy. Ever.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Since my student loan payoff is my primary goal, and my student loan statement comes in the middle of the month, I realized it's a little silly to be reporting my progress at the beginning of the month since it's already out of date. Starting in April, I'll be reporting my monthly progress once I receive my student loan statement in the middle of the month.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

spinst posted:

Goals:

Continue paying an extra $100/mo on my car loan, at least until I move.
Save up enough to cover moving costs without dipping into the e-fund.
Save up enough for a couch and bed frame, as I don't want to take mine.
No credit card debt!
No student loans! (Which means I need $3k saved by Oct. '15).

Progress:

Still paying $100 extra on the car.
Moving fund balance: $1,788. Should be enough for rent/deposit, UHaul, gas, etc…
I have enough cash back on one credit card to buy a bed frame… I may be gifted $1200 when I move that could be couch money, we'll see.
No credit card debt. :)
No student loans. Sort of. Waiting for my last loan to disperse, then I will immediately upload my Teacher Forgiveness paperwork, which will cover everything I have out. Score.
I will still need to pay next year ($3k in October '15, and $3k in April '16). I have $1,485 saved so far.

Probably won't update again until the end of June, as I will have moved by then and the poo poo will have hit the fan, maybe. Haha.

Edit: Had two numbers reversed!

spinst fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 28, 2015

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Not a Children posted:

2014 was good, but not great. Gonna see if I can't improve this year.

2015 Goals:
Increase my gross income to $75k.
Add at least $15k to my 401k and max my Roth IRA.
Somehow decrease my housing expenses, either by moving or otherwise compensating my current landlord in some way.
Maintain a girlfriend without driving her nuts with frugality
Maintain good grades in school; B or higher gets me back 100% of tuition costs!

edit: This is a stretch goal, but add $10k or more to savings. I'll be mentally and financially ready for a house purchase by 2017, I think.

End-of-Quarter update

Classes are going decently. One should be an easy alley-oop into a B+/A-, the other one I'll have to put a little more elbow grease into but the instructor seems like a total softie, so he'll probably end up giving enough extra credit for everyone to end up with at least a B. Anyone who knows about protective power relaying, hit me with a PM. Lots of overtime lately, and I'm on track for what I suspect will be a decent raise at appraisal time next month.
Income goals are as planned. On track to max 401k, ROTH IRA is already maxed.
Housing plans fell through, so I may end up actually moving back with my parents for a few months if I don't find anything by May 1. Sucks, but not the end of the world, and if I do end up doing that it's another ~$1200 in my pocket every month.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

March update

My wife will be starting a postdoc in the fall that will pull in somewhere between $45,000 and $60,000 (as opposed to the approximately $20,000 she gets as a PhD student).
Update: Instead of the original postdoc, my wife will be taking a position at a local federal agency. This means another year or so of a student salary instead of a postdoc salary, but it comes with a guaranteed full-time position afterwards if she wants it. We like living here, my family is in town, and she likes the work she'd be doing, so our short term financial loss is a long term gain and a net win overall.

Financial goals for 2015:
-Max out both Roth IRAs and my 457(b)

-Have wife begin contributions to 403(b) at new postdoc in the fall
Status: It's unclear if this student position will have a 403(b), but it probably won't.

-Increase frequency of grocery shopping trips made by bicycle instead of car, especially between April and October
Update: the weather is finally nice, so we've started biking for groceries again. I could have tried harder at this during the cold months.

-Keep home alcohol purchases below $50/month
January total $17.99
February total $43.47 (includes a 12 pack we bought on the 28th to boost us into March)
March total: $46.28
Monthly average: $35.91

April should be an easier month for this. Passover lasts 8 days and means we can't drink beer, and we each are away at a conference in the second half of the month. I'm going to make a sub-goal of not buying or consuming any at home beer while my wife is away at her conference. That should spur me to do more useful things with my alone time than watching Netflix (probably bike rides if the weather's good).

-New goal: Designate a purpose for the few thousand we should be getting back in our federal tax refund. Leading contenders here are starting a 529 or holding the money in savings for a lump sum boost for the 2016 IRA cycle.

-New goal: Devise a plan for earning enough points/miles for free international business class airfare and at least 4 free hotel nights for a 2016 international vacation.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

5) Don't spend any money in a casino unless it's on drinks with free music
This one is good! woot

4) Take on $7k in additional freelance web development clients
:derp: Turned this one into a different goal. Decided to change jobs and went from approx 35k gross to 60k gross! Start that job on the 13th.

3) Release (now partially) completed Android game
Stalled on this one :/ it's been a busy month though.

2) Save an additional $5.8k for a $7k savings total
Took a massive tax hit this year, so savings is basically down to zero. Boo.

However, I will be receiving approximately $8623.41 in inheritance funds in the next 2 weeks or so. :hfive:

1) Pay off 2 credit cards @ $4.4k and an additional $2k in the final card (remainder of 8k)
When the inheritance comes in we will pay off the cards in question, and that should leave us with a healthy enough e-fund balance to move both goals forward.

Our estimated budget futures with all the debt, increased income, etc places us being debt free with 7k in savings by EOY or shortly after depending on wife's freelance income.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Veskit posted:

Very late to the party but here goes

1) Be free of consumer debt, which stands at around $6,000
2) Have 3 months of expenses saved up
3) Budget all year (I stopped for 3 months)
4) Do these things and be able to afford to go to EVO 2015
5) Donate $700 to charity

MARCH SUCKED

1) It's around the same
2) Actually up to 2 months now!!!
3) loving gently caress this one I hate it
4) It's a definite maybe, depending on how april goes
5) Still on target

I'm loving burned out budgeting and my finances are wonky from not me. I definitely am making good headway still but I'm disappointed in march.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

MARCH SUCKED

I'm loving burned out budgeting and my finances are wonky from not me. I definitely am making good headway still but I'm disappointed in march.

I was going to say you can take a break from budgeting but then I noticed it's item 3. You're locked into some form of budgeting.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

So, for 215, my goals are:

1) Save $10k
1a) Prioritize that so my emergency fund grows from $5k to $10k
2) Make double-payments on my highest interest student loan
3) Max out a Roth IRA
4) Make some side income
5) Continue to avoid credit card balances and increase 401k contributions to 9%

1) Right now, I should blow this out of the water. I've got $6700 in my emergency fund and $5700 in other savings so far.
2) Emergency fund is up to $6700, so this is on track
3) On track still, unless I need this for something else...
4) Nope, not even close. Any ideas?
5) No CC debt, and my contributions increased to 9% in March!

Omne fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 2, 2015

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Zuph posted:

2015:
1. Knock out credit card debt.
2. Pay off remaining car loan.
3. Max out Roth IRA.
4. Increase income 10%.
5. Save enough to take the first honest-to-god, leave-town-and-do-something-recreational vacation of my adult life.

1. Credit Card Debt down to $3900 (from $4700)
2. Car loan down to $1800 (down from $2500)
3. No progress
4. 0.9% to go. I might just find $600 worth of junk to sell and call it good, but I'd like to find some more sustainable source of small side-income.
5. No progress

At the rate things are going, It's looking like it'll actually be February 2016 before I achieve goals 1 and 2. Looking at the budget, there aren't too many categories left to squeeze. Another reason to look for some side income.

On the plus side, I've been sticking hard to YNAB this year, and it's really helped reduce the amount of stress involved making these plans.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Veskit posted:

MARCH SUCKED

1) It's around the same
2) Actually up to 2 months now!!!
4) It's a definite maybe, depending on how april goes
5) Still on target

Are you burned out from budgeting because you're having to make a lot of manual entries, or because you're not making as much headway on #1 and #4 as you'd like? Maybe something else?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

pig slut lisa posted:

Are you burned out from budgeting because you're having to make a lot of manual entries, or because you're not making as much headway on #1 and #4 as you'd like? Maybe something else?

He's probably burned out by focusing his time on getting Dogs Can't Budget to actually budget that he has no time for his own budgeting.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't understand how budgeting is hard to do in 2015 with all of the automated options available, but maybe my finances just aren't complicated and I'm blissfully ignorant.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Bloody Queef posted:

He's probably burned out by focusing his time on getting Dogs Can't Budget to actually budget that he has no time for his own budgeting.

Lmao yeah that was my first thought too.

I know this is anti-budget, but when I made all non-monthly personal expenses single weekly cash envelopes, our budget got a lot easier to follow. All fixed and estimated monthly expenses like bills, gas, groceries, pet care, are logged individually. Any money spent on clothes, bars, restaurants, gadgets is all spent from cash. We pay ourselves a fixed cash amount every Friday.

You don't get granular tracking of blow money, but that was the part that pissed us off. I don't want to have to enter 60 convenience store transactions a month if the amount spent is accounted for and planned. We also had an issue that 'going out' money would blend with 'sports' money, would get borrowed from 'clothing' money. Simplifying it works better for us in that regard since that was our use pattern anyway.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Devian666 posted:

I was going to say you can take a break from budgeting but then I noticed it's item 3. You're locked into some form of budgeting.

pig slut lisa posted:

Manual entries and dealing with multiple accounts. Also I just have not been finding it useful. The first one is dealing with debt collectors and between balancing a lawsuit and researching court cases, and loving dealing with the fallout of these collections is tiring and making me not budget as much. Also I had a rough work couple of week because we were paying out bonuses and I work in payroll for a fortune 500 so it's a bit of a nightmare.

I'm just complaining overall I grew net worth by about 800 dollars in a month but finances are really getting exhausting.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

Manual entries and dealing with multiple accounts. Also I just have not been finding it useful. The first one is dealing with debt collectors and between balancing a lawsuit and researching court cases, and loving dealing with the fallout of these collections is tiring and making me not budget as much. Also I had a rough work couple of week because we were paying out bonuses and I work in payroll for a fortune 500 so it's a bit of a nightmare.

I'm just complaining overall I grew net worth by about 800 dollars in a month but finances are really getting exhausting.

You have a number of high priority things to deal with. A less time consuming budgeting process would help you focus your energy on things that need to be sorted out.

I did a massive catch up on all my business accounts and invoice so I'm ahead of where I need to be for filing the last financial year by about two months. It's been exhausting but necessary. Do what you need to do to sort out those collections.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
End of March/Quarter Update:

zamin posted:

Goal 1: Build up a one month buffer in checking (~3k). Started YNAB on 1/5 with about $200 to my name (spent way too much on Christmas). Current buffer as of today = $384. Rolling over about $150/mo at the moment, but May is a 3 paycheck month and I'll also get at least a $600 minimum bonus, which will fill the buffer.

quote:

Not too much progress in 2ish weeks. I spent less in a few categories than I had budgeted for, so my rollover into March was $130 higher than expected, bringing me up to $514.

Retconned my budget going back to the beginning to save up incrementally for some larger ticket items coming up, like car registration, birthdays, etc. This makes my adjusted rollover into March 456.

Work shut down for a day and a half due to the obscene snow we got, and I didn't want to waste the PTO to cover it, so income was down ~300 from what it should have been. We're working an extra Saturday this month to cover the lost volume and the lost income. Due to the income shortage, I was only able to rollover 77, bringing me to 533.

Got our announcement on our bonus, and my planned 600 is actually going to be 2100-2200 net of taxes. This, along with the third paycheck in May, will easily fill my buffer, knock out another savings goal I had 2 months early, and help me pay off my debt earlier than expected.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Financial Goals:

-Max my Roth IRA
-Get my investment accounts up to 50k (at 38k right now)
-Pay down 25% of my student loans
-Start saving towards my wedding
-Use YNAB and get to step 4
-Get emergency fund up to 10k

Non-financial goal
-Run the LA marathon in 2016
-Get a new job

1st quarter update:
-contributing 458.33 a month to my Roth IRA
-set up direct deposit to save $250 from each paycheck for my wedding/honeymoon
-hit 10k in my emergency fund

Sadly I fell out of using YNAB and need to get back on track. The rest are still being worked out.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

My goals really took a turn the last couple weeks for next year. I hope to have some time to revisit them in a few weeks but generally here they are:

1) Get divorced (lovely goal right there...)
2) In divorce make sure we both come out of it financially sound (should be doable but we need to sit down and work at untangling our finances)
3) Do not sell the house until spring 2016 (this will help out the ex a tremendous amount)
4) Get a roommate to help defer costs (plenty of house for this person)
5) Pay off my student loan (I had been concentrating on the wife's up until now)
6) Pay off my car (stretch goal)

Not what I would have wrote at all about a month ago...oh well.

1) trying to work it out...
2) if we split we will be cool
3) probably going to see and move closer to town this fall
4) roommate is cool, moving out in a month. Not planning on getting another due to wanting to move.
5) no work on this because of #1 (paying normal amount)
6) no work on this because of #1 (paying normal amount)

Wife and I bought the $12K of company stock she was offered. If we split it is hers if we stay together they usually pay 30-40% yearly dividend so that is cool.

I got a great bonus and a nice raise in March as well.

My hair stylist told me I am getting more grey... loving stress levels man.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I definitely won't be doing monthly updates. You might see me here a couple more times before a year ending summary, but here goes:

Moneyball posted:

1. Work 5 hours overtime a week, use proceeds ($5,000) to almost max out Roth IRA. I was deciding between paying down my student loans and losing a year's worth of IRA contributions, and I can always catch up on loans in the future.
2. Pay down car loan if possible. This is the decision I am most ashamed of- I don't know my current balance, whether or not it's simple interest or built in. And the interest is sky high. If it is indeed built-in, that means there is no financial incentive to pay it off early, right? If there is, however, savings to be made by paying it off early, I'm starting there.
3. Start paying back my student loans, though deferred. Question about these- I could actually probably pay for my MBA classes out of pocket if I really budgeted for it, or at the very least, I could decline the refund since I'm awarded $4100 and only use about $1900. If I can pay off my car early, does it make sense to accept all the student loans at 3-6% interest and use it to pay for the much higher interest car loan? It's kind of like robbing Peter to pay Paul
4. Get a higher paying job. This should be #1, but my current position is very secure. It only pays $17.34/hr though and does not have an employer 401k match.

1. Done. Not the overtime part (though I did take on two additional jobs lololol!) Maxed out my Roth IRA for 2014 and will slowly contribute for 2015.
2. On hold. Apparently there is little benefit to paying it back early. I will have to check with the finance company and if I can't pre-pay it, I'll have to abandon this goal.
3. In progress Deferred no longer. Currently paying the minimum on existing loans and putting aside money to pay for additional classes out of pocket.
4. Not likely to happen Not this year, at least. I'm going to get as much tuition reimbursement as I can and save some money to jump to another job in 2016 or 2017.

So far, it's only 1/4, which doesn't look too good, but I've managed to raise my net worth by $6,000 in a few months, so that's progress.

Two additional goals:

- Put away $2,500 to open a brokerage account and throw "extra" money at that regularly. Contributing to a 401k would be more beneficial but I want some money that I can access before I'm 65! When I get a job that matches 401k contributions, I will at the very least contribute up to the match.
Extra money is defined as whatever I save by not going to Starbucks or the bar, etc.

- Open an HSA when my employer's open enrollment period begins. I rarely have any medical expenses, so the HDHP will cost less per month and as I understand it, I'll be able to deduct the HSA contributions as well as invest the money? Of course, I could wind up actually needing medical expenses so it's a gamble.

And this is likely for another thread, then again it goes along with good decision making. I finally got another credit card after years of terrible credit. I plan to pay it off every month.
I have it set up to pay the statement balance, rather than the full balance. Is that the way to do it? As in, the statement balance is what's subject to interest, and the remaining balance is applied to next month's statement balance? Or should I just pay it in full?

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 15, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Moneyball posted:

I have it set up to pay the statement balance, rather than the full balance. Is that the way to do it? As in, the statement balance is what's subject to interest, and the remaining balance is applied to next month's statement balance? Or should I just pay it in full?

This is the correct method. The statement balance is the portion that will switch from interest free to interest bearing. So you pay that amount.

If you ever carry a balance in the future you need to pay off the entire balance to eliminate interest. Any payments go towards the interest free portion of the balance first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

SpelledBackwards posted:

2) The funding of my Roth IRA out the gate and some planned payment of backtaxes mean this will drop down to about 5 months from 9 months. With my first ESPP sale expected within the next two weeks, this will be back up to ~7 months soon.
3) January was down to about $330, but it still felt like overspending on lots of days despite vastly exceeding the goal. We'll see how this averages out over the year; I may have just gotten lucky.
4) Switched over, but old insurance company didn't acknolwedge dropping me and I got debited for another month's insurance. I still need to call and complain about that to try and get it reversed.
5) Not yet April, so I haven't done anything here yet. Turns out some people in my staffing level got proactive out-of-cycle January raises (shifted forward from April) in order to prevent the growing problem of poaching/attrition, but unfortunately I wasn't one of them :sigh:
6) Upcoming ESPP sale will be used to partially cover cash shortfall from funding my Roth IRA, as planned.
7) No movement here; my friend has a heavy grad school semester and won't have as much time as I was hoping between now and end of May.

New goals:
8) I had also planned to build a new computer last year to replace my old desktop from 2010, but I'm put that off to later this year. Depending on how busy I get and whether I can make incremental upgrades (or even need to if I'm not playing anything made in the last 2 years)... I may only spend a fraction of the $800-1300 I had spitballed for it. As low as $0-100 quieting my system down, maybe? Sold and gave away some old parts to cover some of those costs. I also sold a rifle but don't yet know if/where I'm going to apply those funds... I could apply it to ammo restocking from December, but I am already considering that purchase and the purchase price of this rifle itself as sunk costs, and treating the sale income as new money.
9) I should eventually establish a budget instead of just doing lookbacks using Mint. Plan to do that by April.

2) Paid said backtaxes and restored my E-fund through the ESPP as planned. I expect a small penalty, but it should be covered by an overpayment this year I had to run through a 1040X. Should be a wash or I'll get maybe $100 back from that.
3) First 3 months of trying to spend $380 or less have been really good. If I don't count some restaurant gift cards I bought at the grocery store but didn't use (KnyteGuy--style shifting, I know, but I'm not yet sure if they'll be gifts or if I will use them myself in Q3 when I don't have 5% back on grocery like Q1 and 5% back on restaurants like Q2)... then Jan-Mar I spent $321, $348, and $309 compared to $430 last year. This month however, I'm way off track, partly because of an unexpectedly expensive birthday dinner for a friend and some concerts on short notice with slightly more expensive dinner/drink expenses than I'd have liked. $240 spent halfway through the month (63% of budget). But I did get two free large pizza that were leftover from a work event yesterday and made a big ol' batch of my mom's amazing pot roast earlier in the week, so the next week or so should be low expenditure.
4) Got my refunds from the previous insurance company, and even got like $30 back on overpaid premiums from the new company! Guess they revised down from their initial estimate & billing.
5) Based on talk from my boss at a staff meeting last month, I don't expect an April raise either, unfortunately. Not that I ever budget for a future raise, but still. I was worried about my advancement path since the management position I was going for just got filled by another friend of mine, but that means I get out of the slump I was in and under him I might actually have better advancement opportunities with him in between me and my current manager. We'll see, and if not there are some other potential openings for me to fill or create on other teams.
The other side of this is that I bought an online self-paced training package for a professional cert so that I can polish up my resume and shop around if I don't feel I'm doing well. I said I'd update my resume by April if I didn't get the promotion, but I haven't done that yet. Changing this goal to having half that training done and finishing a new resume by end of May.
6) Done as far as the e-Fund goes. Decided not to spend another lot or 1.5 lots on spendy travel later this year, so still on track.
7) Still waiting for the friend's grad school semester to finish to get back no board with training
8) Spent about $350 on my computer after buying some new parts and selling some old ones. It's so quiet and still performing well for what I'm doing that that I'm happy enough to not upgrade any more on it this year unless some money falls from the sky
9) No work toward hard budgeting. I look at things like YNAB and don't want the overhead vs. post-analyzing spending trends in Mint and keeping careful track of my food expenditures. I still need to give it more thought, but likely this won't happen at all.

• Locked thread