Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Introduction

With simple gameplay and pretty graphics, the first game Dragon Ball Z: Assault of the Saiyans was pretty successful. So after less than 1 year, Dragon Ball Z II: Gekishin Freeza was released. This game is an epic following the story of Freeza Saga up to the Spirit Bomb attack. The game plays very similar to the first and is considered to be better by most. I used to think it was better too, but now playing it again after so many years, I think the first game has more charm.

This is a SSLP and I'll play the game in Japanese using an emulator. The translation patch for this game is incomplete so I won't be using it. The story is pretty much the same as the anime anyway so I'll just point out the difference as we reach them. During the cut scenes I will post my own version of the caption and show it in italic. Feel free to post your own version in the thread. I'll frequently compare this game with the first, so having basic knowledge of the plot up to the end of Freeza Saga is necessary and experience of the first game by playing or reading the SSLP of the first game is assumed.

Important:
Please don't talk about things that only happen in the game and not yet shown in the LP. On the other hand, spoilers for the anime series are fine.

Episode 1 Wild ride in space
Episode 2 Snail's pace in space
Episode 3 Perils in space
Episode 3.5 Scheming in battle
Episode 4 Racing in the air
Episode 5 Training in space
Episode 6 Turning the tide in battle
Episode 7 Ganging up in battle
Episode 8 Meeting Freeza in person

Post game content part 1
Post game content part 2

mkwong98 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Bonus videos

HD version of game title screen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC73qM8YPPE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju-9yREPnn8

A song for Ginyu Force:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyAEB8TPs1g

Final boss and ending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOggWzmRkMs

End of LP special:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W81ms_riYU

mkwong98 fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 4, 2015

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Episode 1 Wild ride in space

Welcome to the second game of the series. We are presented with two options :

The first option is "Game start" and the second option is "World Martial Arts Tournament". The second option is an expanded version of the Tourney mode of the first game and we will look at it later. So let's start the game!

Last time, Vegeta goes to Goku's house when Chi-Chi is out. Goku throws a party and they have an eating contest where they have to eat while throwing ki attack at each other!

Meanwhile Piccolo gets drunk and starts ripping his cloths off, much to Gohan's embarrassment.

But Chi-Chi suddenly returns! Enraged by what she sees, she kicks Vegeta into orbit!

As well as pounds Goku into the ground, throws Piccolo out of the house and gives Gohan a bad hair cut while she's at it! Piccolo then goes to hide at King Kai's planet.

Vegeta returns to his home with his pride completely destroyed and hides inside a healing tank, refusing to come out.

With no alternative, Vegeta's family throw him out and forbid him to return until he finds the dragonballs on Namek and fixes his problem.

On the other hand, Chi-Chi argues with her insurance agent Bulma, who claims that injuries made by spouse is not covered by the policy.

Gohan gathers the remaining Z fighters, kidnaps Bulma and runs away from home.

And now we control the space ship heading for Namek.

If we press the B button at this point, we can move the camera freely. Our goal can be found near the top right corner of the map. We are forced to follow a track on this map, so we won't get lost. On the bottom left of the screen, we can see our party members. Unlike the first game, the game is kind enough to give us 5 members right off the bat. Three of them are supposed to be dead at this point in the anime, so this is they lucky break. On the bottom right, we have a much improved menu with five options.

The top option is to move our party. It works more or less the same as the first game except that we don't have to move the full number of steps and the cards we get are not biased. On this map, I'll move 1 step per turn to have more time to level up our party. But before we move, let's have a look at other options.

The middle left option is the item list. We start the game with Bulma card, which heals a small amount of HP and BE. This card can be used once per turn and it does not have a turn limit so the card is very useful. You can think of this card as a replacement of the inn in this game.

The second card is the dragon radar. It is pretty useless in this game as we now can view any part of the map any time we want and it is pretty easy to find out where we need to go.

The middle right option is the stat screen. Our party members start with level 11 and have around 1500BP. Most of them do not have enough BE to use their best attacks. Compare to the first game, Gohan's BP has vastly improved form being the lowest to being the second highest. The biggest improvement is Krillin's ki attacks. Not only he learns to use Taiyoken, his Scatter Shot also becomes a multi-target attack. This is the only multi-target ki attack that we have access to at the moment, so he is the star of our team.

The bottom left option is save game. This game has two save slots and this makes a very useful glitch possible. We'll see that glitch in action at the end of the game, I'm surprised that the glitch still works using an emulator. The bottom right option is story recap. Instead of a brief summary of the stage like the first game, this time it will show the cut scene at the beginning of the stage instead.

This is it for this update, I'll show the game play in the next episode. As a bonus, I made a HD version of the title screen of the last game a while ago, you can watch it here.

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
I didn't realize there were so many NES titles in this line. I have experience with the SNES game that goes only ever-so-slightly farther than this game and it can be pretty dreadful to play. I followed the last thread and I'm looking forward to this one.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Ooooh! Can't wait to see how this all turns out.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I enjoyed the first thread, let's see how the rest of the game has been improved.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

X_countryguy posted:

I didn't realize there were so many NES titles in this line. I have experience with the SNES game that goes only ever-so-slightly farther than this game and it can be pretty dreadful to play. I followed the last thread and I'm looking forward to this one.

On NES, there are
1 DB action game
2 DB RPGs (DB2, DB3)
4 DBZ RPGs (DBZ1, DBZ2, DBZ3, DBZG)
1 DBZ fighting game with a barcode add-on

I'm going to LP the 4 DBZ RPGs. I haven't play DB2 before so maybe I can LP it blind once I finish these 4 if anyone is interested. I played DB3 years ago on an actual FC and it was very difficult back then. It uses very long password and very easy to die at the beginning. It has a remake on WSC but I haven't play it.

I played the DBZ RPG on SNES, but I think it is not as good as DBZ1 or DBZ2. There are 2 other non-action games on the SNES and I think they are pretty fun.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

mkwong98 posted:

I played the DBZ RPG on SNES, but I think it is not as good as DBZ1 or DBZ2. There are 2 other non-action games on the SNES and I think they are pretty fun.

They were basically my substitute for reading the manga back when manga scans were impossible to find and nobody was publishing either series.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The SNES RPG did have great music. If they just increased the EXP of encounters, they wouldn't need to have an increase encounter trap.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

They were basically my substitute for reading the manga back when manga scans were impossible to find and nobody was publishing either series.

Are you familiar with the two games? I really want to see LP of them.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The SNES RPG did have great music. If they just increased the EXP of encounters, they wouldn't need to have an increase encounter trap.

One of the good points of DBZ and DBZ2 on NES is that they use EXP directly as power level, so it feels like your team is really stronger after every battle.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
to be honest, the only DBZ RPG I ever really played was Attack of the Saiyans, which was fun, but left me wondering what is it with the anemic desire to never have an RPG cover more than one saga. Also a Freiza cocktease at the end that goes nowhere.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Sweet I was wondering when you'd LP the next game. Didn't know there were four on the NES, glad you're going to look at them all.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Just powered through the first one, I remember playing some DBZ RPG on a SNES back in the day. Covered the start of Z to after Frieza at least.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh man there was a sequel! I really liked the first thread so I can't wait to see how they polished it up for round 2!

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011
One thing I've always wanted was a DB/DBZ/DBGT game where it was kind of like Disgaea, where you can fight stuff and level up your stats, going from the ~300 Goku and Piccolo had at the start of DBZ to the billions and billions they had at the end of the Buu saga... Given the size of games now, they might even be able to fit the entire DB* Universe into a single game, going from Bulma meeting Goku for the first time, to fighting Omega Shenron. Maybe even have the movies as little side stories, since I can't figure out where in the canon they're meant to take place.

Doesn't even have to be an RPG, it could be an action/adventure and I'd be cool with it. It could even be a fighting game, I'd buy it in the blink of an eye. Hell, I'd settle for a FAN game that let you do that.

Maybe have a chapter select as a Shenron Wish, so you could go back from eg. Gotenks vs. Super Buu to Goku vs. General White, or something like that?

About THIS game, though, do they explain why the Nappa fight ended so differently? Is it just really tough at the start, and you need 5 fighters, or do they give a reason they didn't die?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

thetrueoskar posted:

One thing I've always wanted was a DB/DBZ/DBGT game where it was kind of like Disgaea, where you can fight stuff and level up your stats, going from the ~300 Goku and Piccolo had at the start of DBZ to the billions and billions they had at the end of the Buu saga... Given the size of games now, they might even be able to fit the entire DB* Universe into a single game, going from Bulma meeting Goku for the first time, to fighting Omega Shenron. Maybe even have the movies as little side stories, since I can't figure out where in the canon they're meant to take place.

Doesn't even have to be an RPG, it could be an action/adventure and I'd be cool with it. It could even be a fighting game, I'd buy it in the blink of an eye. Hell, I'd settle for a FAN game that let you do that.

Maybe have a chapter select as a Shenron Wish, so you could go back from eg. Gotenks vs. Super Buu to Goku vs. General White, or something like that?

About THIS game, though, do they explain why the Nappa fight ended so differently? Is it just really tough at the start, and you need 5 fighters, or do they give a reason they didn't die?

I think they just considered 2 more a "past 2 of game 1" kind of thing.

I always preferred the Dragonball games that allowed you to alter fates though. Conversly I really hate the ones that make you win fights and battles only to have you auto-lose in the cutscenes.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

thetrueoskar posted:

Maybe even have the movies as little side stories, since I can't figure out where in the canon they're meant to take place.

Don't worry. I don't think anybody can.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

thetrueoskar posted:

They don't explain why it is different. It is a bit tough at the beginning and near the end but I don't think this is the reason for it. I think playing with just Gohan and Krillin for most of the game will be too boring for a RPG.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Episode 2 Snail's pace in space

Why would anyone make the backgroud music for the map screen shorter than 10 seconds? There are not many good music pieces in this game, but there sure are some really bad pieces. And I'll spare us by not posting the map screen music here.

Time to move on!

So we take it slow by moving one square per turn:

And the Earth which appears to be blue in the intro has turned green as soon as we leave!

In this game, in place of inn and item mini-games, there is a draw at the end of each turn.

We pick one of the eight cards, which grant different effects based upon the character shown on the card.

On this map, Each column has exactly one Freeza card and a Freeza card will give us an enemy encounter. If we have a scouter card, then the game will give us a choice and we can use a scouter card by choosing the right option. This will let us can see which card is a Freeza card:

Besides Freeza, each column has a different set of characters which the game randomly picks one from. Some of the characters are unique to that particular column.
For the far right column, we have Bulma and Kame:

Bulma card will heal either HP or BE by a small amount for all characters.

Kame card will let one of the characters to play a training mini-game. On this map, we will play the symbol matching game from the first game. However, the amount of BP we gain is much higher than in the first game.

At around 2900BP, Gohan gains 420BP after matching 3 cards in the game. For reference, the BP gain in 1 battle on this map is 100 - 200BP per character, so I think 420 is pretty good. The amount will increase as level increases, so it is the best to keep playing it with the same character to maximize the gain.

For the second column from the right, we have Korin, Oolong, Vegeta and Ginyu:

Korin card heals either HP or BE by a large amount for all characters.

Oolong card will swap all five(left) or just one(right) of the cards with new card(s). If we are keeping good cards for later use then this can mess up our plan. On the other hand, if we use up all the good cards then this is a good way to get some new one.

Vegeta card will trigger a collision event. We will have a huge piece of rock or a large fire ball in front of us and we choose either to destroy it with Ki blast or try to dodge it.

If we use Ki blast(left), we will use 10% of BE from every one. If we try to dodge it and is successful(centre), then we are safe. But there is a chance that it can fail(right) and in that case every one some of their HP.

Ginyu card will steal a random item card from us! Space is a dangerous place indeed. :(

For the third column from the right, we also have Korin, Oolong and Vegeta. And instead of Ginyu, we have Porunga:

Porunga card is the opposite of Ginyu card and it gives us an item card.

For the far left column, we have Korin, Bulma and Enma:

Enma card will change the attack and defense of one card to Z.

Out of the four columns, the Kame card of right most column has the most worthwhile and long lasting benefit. So we will choose that column for every turn.

And it doesn't take long to meet our first enemy encounter!

Oddly enough, instead of two spaceships shooting at each other Star Wars style, we park our spaceships on a drifting rock and duke it out on the surface. :confused:

This tune is easily the best tune of the game!:rock:

Our first encounter is a group of 2. On this map, each enemy is worth 50BP to each of our party members. On the screen, the left option is "Manual" and the right option is "Auto". Since we have some good cards and we have the advantage of 5 against 2, we use the "Auto" option. The "Auto" option does not use our cards and it uses other random cards instead. Let's see how our initial group fare against the enemies:

A improvement during the battle scene is that the game will move to the next attack automatically, whereas the first game will stop and wait for the user to dismiss the text.

When a character is in critical condition, a "Help!" sign flashes above the portrait instead of showing a hurt portrait. Here we also see the new multi-target attack. When a character uses a card with matching style, that character can either execute a critical hit or hit every enemy with a standard attack.

Finally we have a demonstration of Ki attack. Unlike the first game, the view point does not change to first person view when a character execute a Ki attack, instead it sometimes adds the stare down between the two at the bottom of the screen. This stare down animation, the battle music and the sound effects give the battle scene a very intense atmosphere.

After the first round, we choose the "Manual" option and we have 3 choices under it. The first is "Attack", the second is "Item" and the third is "Escape". The first thing to do is to use the Bulma card to heal one of the party members.

Then we go back to the first menu and use the "Auto" option again. This time, we defeat both enemies. Another improvement in this game is that once an enemy is defeated, any party members still targeting him will switch to another enemy. This is a standard RPG feature which is missing in the first game.

We gain 100BP for each of our party members and we also obtain a Chi-chi card. I'll list out all the item cards in another update.

Back to the map screen, we use the Bulma card again and we will keep using that card every turn until all party members are healed.

Soon we have another enemy encounter with two enemies and as before we use the "Auto" option to deal with them.

Another Ki attack on Ten. The size of the explosion varies depending on the amount of damage dealt, so it is smaller this time.

Yamcha uses Kamehameha and the stare down is not shown this time. Maybe it only shows when that attack is one of the more powerful ones for that character.

Then We spend another round to defeat the enemies and receive another Chi-chi card.

In the next enemy encounter, we face a group of four enemies:

Guess which ones are the stronger ones of the bunch?

We will see them again in another fight where we have a scouter card. Here are their stat:

What? The two at the centre are actually the weaker ones!

With four of them, it is time to use the "Manual" option

We use Scatter Shot and let Ten use 7 stars Turtle style card and pick the right option to attack everyone. One of the enemies uses a 6 stars card with matching style to deal heavy damage on every one. But in the end Krillin's Scatter Shot saves the day!

Krillin you are the best!:allears:

See you in the next episode of Dragon Ball Z2 LP!

mkwong98 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 10, 2015

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!

mkwong98 posted:

Krillin you are the best!:allears:!

Not something that is often said.

Looks like this is pretty much a warm up area for grinding. How many times stronger will the party need to get to be relatively safe for the next zone?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Good thing those random asteroids have oxygen.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

X_countryguy posted:

Might have to have a "Krillin owns" count instead of a "Krillin owned" count at this point.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

X_countryguy posted:

Looks like this is pretty much a warm up area for grinding. How many times stronger will the party need to get to be relatively safe for the next zone?

The next zone has the same enemies so around 3000 BP will be more than enough unless you want to challenge the optional boss. In that case, we need around 12000 BP which is pretty much impossible to get.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I unironically love this game, and the others in this series. Way better than any modern DBZ RPG. The last one is even an original story!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Firstborn posted:

I unironically love this game, and the others in this series. Way better than any modern DBZ RPG. The last one is even an original story!

I dunno I think Attack of the Saiyans is a better game than this one.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Episode 3 Perils in space

Last time we had a few fights with Freeza's goons and Gohan's HP is now down to 8. We use the Bulma card(recover 25%) on him and move on...

No! Gohan's HP is still dangerously low and Krillin does not have enough BE to use Scatter Shot. We use Bulma card to bring Gohan's HP back up to 38 but the average HP of the party is just above 50%.:pray:

Man down! Man down!:gonk:

No! Yamcha you useless piece of $#%@!:argh:

Thankfully, Krillin take a hit without problem.:bravo:

This is what a critical hit looks like.

Death is much easier to recover from in this game. Every round a downed character recovers a small amount(5%) of HP and the character is revived when it is back to max. And we can speed up the process by using cards with healing effect on that character.

At this point, we retreat in order to cut loses and heal our party members. Fortunately we do not meet any new enemies until Gohan is revived:

After this we move along without much problem and we finally reach our first point of interest:

Gohan and co. find a ghost ship in space! Gohan, being adventurous and rebellious, decides to go inside and look for treasures.

However, the ghost ship is actually a pirate ship in disguise, and the pirate ship captain forces Gohan to cough up all of his money or walk the plank! And the end of the plank leads to a fall through the waste gas duct into space.

Gohan gives 5000 dollars to the captain, but the captain does not recgonize Earth dollar and so he throws the money back and repeats his demands.
The game will repeat the question until we choose "NO".

At this point Gohan has no choice but to walk the plank. However, instead of falling down, he flies right back up. The surprised captain miss-fires his gun at the ceiling causing a loose tile directly above him to fall!

Gohan debates with the Z fighters whether to save him or not and finally decides to do it, as space pirates still have some historic values.:pirate:
Another question that repeats. This time we have to choose the left option.

Gohan snaps the tile out of the air and breaks it with his jaw!:toughguy:
Similar to the Vegeta event, we lose some BE.

The captain mumbles some nonsense in Japanese about no food in the freezer and walk forward 7 steps for a short cut.

Back on our way, Chaozu kindly shows us his incompetence by demonstrating it is possible for a character to try and fail at dodging a Ki attack:
:ughh:

We don't really need the tip; it is pretty easy to spot where the short cut is on the map.

And we use the short cut to go to the planet because. On our way there, Gohan gains 420BP from a training mini-game as we saw in the last episode.

We arrive at Namek! And we land on it immediately.

We meet a Namekian and he offers us some drinks.

If we accept it, we'll get drugged. Then we wake up and see the Namekian in his true form!

Or if we don't accept it then the Namekian knows his trick is exposed and so he shows his true face.

In both case, we can't leave until we choose to attack. I don't think the choice makes any difference.

And we have a mini boss fight. This will be a difficult fight if we don't build up the characters by moving one square at a time.

Once again, the honor goes of Krillin.:toot:

We get a bunch of BP and 2 item cards. The first of the two item cards is Porunga card and it is the reward of this side-quest. It grants us the effect of three different item cards that we can choose from a list of 6 on the map screen or 9 during battle.

There is no other plot event until the end of the map. During the travel, Gohan plays the training mini-game successfully 3 more times, gaining 840BP twice and 1050BP once. Here is the final stat of the party members:

At least this planet is green.

We will see what awaits them in the next episode of Dragon Ball Z2 LP!

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Krillin saving the day always makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :unsmith:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The battles on Namek are going to be so lopsided at this pace.

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Wow, the fact that character only get knocked out and not permanently killed is a surprising change of pace. They really made this game more forgiving.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
So when are we getting a Chaozu only run? :colbert:

chibi
Feb 11, 2004

Seeing Krillin actually succeed makes me want to see him get all the training and be our star forever.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
Calling it now: Krillin will end up soloing every boss encounter, and coming up on top, Destructo Disks going everywhere.

The DBZ lore is being rewritten.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

chibi posted:

Seeing Krillin actually succeed makes me want to see him get all the training and be our star forever.

I agree with this. Let's give every training possibility to Krillin. He shall become the Slayer of Gods, triumph where Goku failed.

We'll get Beerus in this game somehow.

RSCNyx posted:

Calling it now: Krillin will end up soloing every boss encounter, and coming up on top, Destructo Disks going everywhere.

The DBZ lore is being rewritten.

Considering how much DBZ games love What-Ifs (and rightfully so) and how the newest game's premise is history being rewritten, I wouldn't mind this actually happening. Like, at all. It'd be super cool.

When was the last time Krillin got to shine, Supersonic Warriors with the What-If of Krillin getting the Genki-dama?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It is killing me that Yamcha is almost as weak as Chaotsu and Chaotsu is completely useless. Poor dolt.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!

Mordaedil posted:

It is killing me that Yamcha is almost as weak as Chaotsu and Chaotsu is completely useless. Poor dolt.

Basically it's about spot on. Has Yamcha done ANYTHING worthwhile since Dragonball? I think he beat one of the Ginyu Squad on King Kai's planet, but I believe he's won about the same number of fights since DB as Chaotsu.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Earthlings are weak and useless fuckers.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Too bad that training mini-game stops being useful when we are not in space.:(

Anyway, I decided to challenge the hard path of this game and I looked for info of this game and the those on gamefaqs are too brief and wrong. Most of them talk about save and reload to get into battle or training for every step in the first map but I don't think it is a good way to do it. I found a Japanese site with lots of in depth information including damage calculation. My choice of training Gohan paid off in an unexpected way, now I have finished all the hard fights and I am training to fight Freeza. I'm hoping to finish the game this weekend and post one update next week. There will be 5 to 6 more updates including some post game contents.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Episode 3.5 Scheming in battle
In this mini update we will look at battle mechanics of this game. First lets look at all the consumable items available:

Scouter (Assist)
Shows the enemy's battle card(except those of bosses), HP and BP or shows Freeza cards on card draw screen.
Useful for seeing boss' HP. BP can be misleading in this game and fans know the rough BP value for bosses anyway.

Young man (Assist)
Adds a Namekian to fight beside our party for one battle. The Namekian is a NPC and will use his own card. His BP scales up with other party members but max out at 37000.
Pretty useless, we usually need help during boss fights only, this NPC rarely makes a difference.

Puar (Transform)
Exchanges one of our cards with one of the enemies'.
Extremely useful, this is the only way we can temper with enemy's battle card.

Oolong (Transform)
Replace all 5 battle cards with new ones.

Chi-Chi (Anger)
Changes one battle card into a Ki battle card.

Enma (Attack)
Changes the attack of one card to Z.

Baba (Defend)
Changes the defense of one card to Z.
Not as useful as Enma card because we don't know which enemy will attack which character, not all characters get attacked.

Senzu (Immortal)
Completely heal the HP and BE of one character.
Very useful, there are very few healing item cards in this game. It is odd that they use Korin for this in the first game.

Korin (Immortal)
Completely refill everyone's BE.

Kaio (Battle)
Increases attack power in a battle. Effect increases exponentially as more are used on the same character. (+87.5%, +200%, +337.5%, +500%)

Grandpa (Seal)
Stops the attack of one enemy for one turn, as well as reducing the defense of that character. The effect increases as more are used on the same character.

Mr. Popo (Art)
Transforms the Ki attacks of the enemies to normal attack for one turn.
None of the FAQs that I read has this information. Like the Baba card, if the enemy does not use Ki attack then it is wasted. Useful in one particular battle in this game.

Porunga (Dragon)
Grants the effects of 3 different cards. (Young man, Senzu, Puar, Grandpa, Enma, Baba, Kaio, Chi-chi, Oolong)
You can only get two of them in the whole game.

The formula of damage calculation is roughly like this:
BP(a)/BP(d) * Card(a)/Card(d) * Att(a)/Def(d) * Kaio * 8

BP(a) = BP of attacker
BP(d) = BP of defender
Card(a) = number of stars on the attacker's battle card + 4; Z = 10
Card(d) = the number written on the defender's battle card + 4; Z = 10
Att(a) = the attack rating of the attacker
Def(d) = the defense rating of the defender - number of Grandpa cards used
Kaio = Kaio card modifier

We know most of the numbers in the formula; the new parts are Att(a) and Def(d). All normal attack and Ki attacks have different attack ratings and the attack ratings differ between characters. All characters also have their own defense rating. The normal attack, the standard rating is 7 and the standard rating for defense is 4. By having a higher rating value, a character will have a higher effective BP. The ratings for our party members are very close to the standard ratings. On the other hand, the lower tier enemies tend to have higher attack rating. I guess it won't do if the enemies are outclassed too soon as the BP curve is very steep in this game.

We will how we use these info in the next episode of Dragon Ball Z2 LP!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Carbon dioxide posted:

Earthlings are weak and useless fuckers.
King Kai could have taught everyone else the Kaioken, what with having all the time in the world since they are dead. The talk about the strain on the body is bullshit since later SSJ forms are like 600x Kaioken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!

Scalding Coffee posted:

King Kai could have taught everyone else the Kaioken, what with having all the time in the world since they are dead. The talk about the strain on the body is bullshit since later SSJ forms are like 600x Kaioken.

Piccolo merged with Nail and Kame knowing the Kaioken would have been sick. It would have kept him and some of the other characters relevant for more than an episode or so. But we couldn't have had that because it'd take focus off of the glorious Goku and, to a lesser extent, the other Saiyajins and half-Saiyajins. C'mon Toriyama, Goku was not THAT interesting.

• Locked thread