Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

FuriousAngle posted:

Piccolo merged with Nail and Kame knowing the Kaioken would have been sick. It would have kept him and some of the other characters relevant for more than an episode or so. But we couldn't have had that because it'd take focus off of the glorious Goku and, to a lesser extent, the other Saiyajins and half-Saiyajins. C'mon Toriyama, Goku was not THAT interesting.

Piccolo didn't stay that long with King Kai so it is reasonable that he didn't learn it. As for the others, I guess they just gave up after seeing how powerful SSJ was. And Krillin didn't go to King Kai at all. What interest me more is the possibility of Piccolo farming other Namekians, just like how Vegeta abused zenkai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!

mkwong98 posted:

Piccolo didn't stay that long with King Kai so it is reasonable that he didn't learn it. As for the others, I guess they just gave up after seeing how powerful SSJ was. And Krillin didn't go to King Kai at all. What interest me more is the possibility of Piccolo farming other Namekians, just like how Vegeta abused zenkai.

Presumably, it took Goku a while to get to King Kai's planet (I've seen estimates of about six months), plus he was not only adjusting to the gravity, but also learning how to use the Genki-dama, which I'd argue is a more difficult ability to master. Plus there was all that time dicking around with Bubbles and Gregory.

Piccolo would have arrived at King Kai's considerably stronger, so depending on how long it took Piccolo and team-Tien to reach the end of Snake Way I dunno how far-fetched it'd be for him to have learned it. After all, we saw (at least in the anime) that Yamcha had gotten considerably LESS Yamcha by that point to where he could take down a Ginyu Squad member (which even Vegeta couldn't do at that point.) That's quite a jump for the shittiest fighter in the series. If they could get Yamcha stronger than Vegeta, there's no point in NOT having taught Piccolo or at least Tien the Kaio-Ken. Then again, if we're only going off what happened in the manga, Yamcha never really beat anyone in DBZ so they really could have been there only a few days.

And I think the author just gave up on humans after SSJ showed up. He gave up on super-namekians sometime around SSJ2. I always liked Krillin and Piccolo more than Goku, so this always pissed me off.

In an unrelated note, I'm such a nerd.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Krillin is the best Dragonball character and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
I always liked Tien, and appreciated that he could at least stall Stage 2 Cell and annoy Super Buu.

But yes, as others have said, I disliked how SSJ/SSJ2/SSJ3 became the focus as time went on.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See if you can train Piccolo, Krillin, and Tien to the point where they can go toe to toe with Frieza! Give them the props they so rightly deserve!

And keep up the great work, OP! This thread is bringing back fun memories of trying to figure out just what the hell was going on in this game!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FuriousAngle posted:

C'mon Toriyama, Goku was not THAT interesting.

Wasn't that more at the fan's behest? Wasn't the original idea to 'kill' off Goku during Cell saga and have Gohan take center stage from that point on? I mean, yeah, it's still a Saiyan in the lead, but IIRC Gohan tosses the SSJ bit to the side and has his own weird power path that he follows.

I also want to chime in agreement with the Piccolo and Krillin fans here.

FANSean
Nov 9, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

Wasn't that more at the fan's behest? Wasn't the original idea to 'kill' off Goku during Cell saga and have Gohan take center stage from that point on? I mean, yeah, it's still a Saiyan in the lead, but IIRC Gohan tosses the SSJ bit to the side and has his own weird power path that he follows.

I also want to chime in agreement with the Piccolo and Krillin fans here.

I thought Cell was going to be the end point (Though the term's useless since I think there were five planned end points by DBZ) so in a sense, it was just supposed to end on Gohan becoming the strongest and then the series ending from there, but then they did more and undermined Gohan's position

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Wasn't that more at the fan's behest? Wasn't the original idea to 'kill' off Goku during Cell saga and have Gohan take center stage from that point on?

Not just that time, DBZ is all about Toriyama trying to make Goku pass the torch to Gohan but always having to bring him back because people kept wanting Goku.

- Killing him at the start of the saiyan saga.
- Having him stay on Earth healing instead of going to Namek with everyone because of a convenient lack of senzu beans.
- Heart disease.
- Having Gohan kill Cell and make Goku stay dead voluntarily after the Cell saga (closest he has been).
- Mystic Gohan powerup.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Okay words... Lets get one thing straight, Toriyama is a lazy motherfucker. Akira Toriyama basically had to be tricked into doing Dragon Ball, because his editor essentially had to tell him "It'll just be a short series" which was supposed to end at the Pilaf arc. He had to be convinced (money helps) to go longer, and since the World tournament arcs in his previous work Dr. Slump (A comedy manga about a robot girl) he decided that would be the focus on the next storyline, so pretty much EVERY arc was meant to be the end of Dragonball. At Piccolo Jr. and Frieza were both the main ones that people should be familiar with. Piccolo Jr. wrapped up the story of the young Goku (who actually was a hero and interesting and etc. at this point) and concluded his adventures as well as setting up the "There'll always be something in the world" with the young Piccolo.

So at this point the anime asked for something to help distinguish between Dragon Ball and this new series, hence 'Z' because Toriyama figured "Last letter of the alphabet and this is the end" HA! Regardless this is the point Goku really transitions from his previous role as the hero to his new role, which is the Legend, most notably the Freiza Saga was the best example, because Goku wasn't there for pretty much the entire arc, made a short appearance for the Ginyu Force and then promptly was injured until Freiza needed to be defeated.

Now at this point? Toriyama spent 5 days of the week playing dragon quest or watching TV or building models and 2 actually drawing a chapter of Dragon Ball, because again, the dude was lazy. He fully admits that characters dropping off the face of the earth? that was him forgetting they existed. But Freiza was really meant to be the end, because Goku was supposed to essentially end the Freiza Saga becoming God, realizing the legend, etc. etc.
... and then it kept going.

Now the actual thing to take away, Cell was never planned for the Android Saga, hell 16-18 were never planned. He made Gero and 19 and said "These are our main enemies" to which his editor went "So the villains this time are a fat man and an old guy?" So Toriyama drew the other androids and following that came "Oh joy! now a bunch of teenagers!" and even Cell himself got his Editor badgering him over how Cell looked pathetic and Semi-Perfect Cell looked like a goofball.

But anyway yes, the end of the Cell Saga was meant to be that Goku dies, and Gohan takes his place as Earths defender... then his editor convinced him this was a bad idea. Poor Gohan, he never achieves anything except killing Cell.

Anyway, the moral of this story is that Toriyama was as lazy as any of us, and his editors basically kept pushing him to do stuff. And a lot of the things in Dragon Ball that at the time "Broke new grounds" were more because Toriyama had no idea what people did in manga and storytelling and just did what he wanted. My goodness the man doesn't even remember what happened in his own manga, he had to ask Eichiro Oda (Author of One Piece) Mid-Interview who a character was because he'd legit forgotten they'd existed. And he knows that Oda remembered everything.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 14, 2015

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Onmi posted:

My goodness the man doesn't even remember what happened in his own manga, he had to ask Eichiro Oda (Author of One Piece) Mid-Interview who a character was because he'd legit forgotten they'd existed. And he knows that Oda remembered everything.

"Who is this Yamucha you keep asking me about? Oh! You mean the lovely fighter who kept dying?"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

FuriousAngle posted:

"Who is this Yamucha you keep asking me about? Oh! You mean the lovely fighter who kept dying?"

More legitimate example. He honestly couldn't recall who Tao Pai Pai was. Though okay benefit of the doubt, Tao Pai Pai was a villain in the Red Ribbon Saga (the first man to truly beat Goku, got a Black Nimbus, I think he's even responsible for the first on-screen death by killing Bora with his own spear) who Goku beat and then he showed up later as a Cyborg to fight Tien in the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament (where he got chumped by Tien to show his growth)

He also didn't remember Launch, but in her case, she was actually pretty prominent throughout Dragon Ball and because he honestly couldn't care because caring took effort, he just forgot she existed once the timeskip happened.

More hilariously, He constantly mixed up Super Saiyan 2 and 3 which... okay if you mix up SSJ1 and 2, sure, there's very minor changes there

But 2 and 3 are not easy to confuse. That takes EFFORT when you wrote and drew the series.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Haha, this thread makes me want to binge-watch DBZ Abridged.

"Hey. Remember when we did things?"Bulma

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Onmi posted:

Now at this point? Toriyama spent 65 days of the week playing dragon quest or watching TV or building models and 2 actually drawing a chapter of Dragon Ball,
Gotta give a guy some credit for being able to squeeze 67 days of work into just seven, and weekly even.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Cheez posted:

Gotta give a guy some credit for being able to squeeze 67 days of work into just seven, and weekly even.

Yeah I was initially correcting from 6/1 to 5/2 and... forgot a backspace.

Regardless supremely lazy... like for instance in 2013 when he wrote Dragon Ball Minus. Which basically let him personally establish his events on what happened to the Saiyans. The short of it being Frieza called them all back and then blew up the planet

Also features Goku's mom and Goku literally taking Supermans backstory whole now

so yeah his own established "Goku hit his head as a baby and that's why he was raised good" is just "His dad and mom sent him to earth to keep him safe because his did predicted planetary destruction."

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Onmi posted:

Yeah I was initially correcting from 6/1 to 5/2 and... forgot a backspace.

Regardless supremely lazy... like for instance in 2013 when he wrote Dragon Ball Minus. Which basically let him personally establish his events on what happened to the Saiyans. The short of it being Frieza called them all back and then blew up the planet

Also features Goku's mom and Goku literally taking Supermans backstory whole now

so yeah his own established "Goku hit his head as a baby and that's why he was raised good" is just "His dad and mom sent him to earth to keep him safe because his did predicted planetary destruction."

That's.... that's so unnecessary.

"Yeah you know how Goku's defining character trait is the purest good guy we've ever seen and helping Frieza with energy well I know you're haunted every day by the fact he was technically a BAD kid for a month before hitting his head. Here lemme clean that up for you."

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FuriousAngle posted:

Haha, this thread makes me want to binge-watch DBZ Abridged.

There are worse things to binge watch over a weekend...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That explains all these new movies retconning poo poo or otherwise should not exist.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

That explains all these new movies retconning poo poo or otherwise should not exist.

To be fair, They're just retconning GT mostly and that was never canon (and it was also terrible). I liked Son Goku and his friends return and I liked Battle of Gods because both of them captured the spirit of the original Dragon Ball very well, a largely goofy happy fun time, and with BoG with a bit of serious drama. I liked how Beerus and Goku fought one another throughout a city and unlike every Super Hero Movie ever these days, they didn't crash through one building or cause serious loss of life. I like that Goku lost and admitted that he couldn't win. I like that Super Saiyan God was just a red coloured Goku.

I liked that poo poo a lot better than the planned "Beerus is actually a Virus who was responsible for the Saiyans all turning evil!" that they originally planned to go with.

The only things in the past that were retconned were... Freiza was tasked with blowing up Planet Vegeta (which he wanted to do anyway), Vegeta had a brother who couldn't fight, And now Freiza is being brought back to life in the upcoming movie which Toriyama wants Vegeta to be the hero of.

Were any of these necessary? No. But I'm a grumbly rear end who would cross his arms and say nothing after the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament was necessary.

EDIT: Except Piccolo turning Good and Mr. Satan. The world needs more Satan.

Old Greg posted:

That's.... that's so unnecessary.

"Yeah you know how Goku's defining character trait is the purest good guy we've ever seen and helping Frieza with energy well I know you're haunted every day by the fact he was technically a BAD kid for a month before hitting his head. Here lemme clean that up for you."

More likely "Wait Goku was a bad kid for a month, Really? huh... I completely forgot when I wrote minus."

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 16, 2015

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
After a series has concluded, I don't let the author add on extra poo poo to me. It's all just discontinuity in my mind. J.K. Rowling introduced me to that mindset.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

After a series has concluded, I don't let the author add on extra poo poo to me. It's all just discontinuity in my mind. J.K. Rowling introduced me to that mindset.

That is a perfectly find mindset to take. Though I would have cut off "Everything after PoA" in your example.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Onmi posted:

The only things in the past that were retconned were... Freiza was tasked with blowing up Planet Vegeta (which he wanted to do anyway), Vegeta had a brother who couldn't fight, And now Freiza is being brought back to life in the upcoming movie which Toriyama wants Vegeta to be the hero of.
The movies involving Bardock becoming the Legendary Super Saiyan and the rest of the Ginyu Force. Both of them were just pointless. Can't wait for an abridged take on the Ginyu Force movie.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

The movies involving Bardock becoming the Legendary Super Saiyan and the rest of the Ginyu Force. Both of them were just pointless. Can't wait for an abridged take on the Ginyu Force movie.

Oh that was just a tie in to the video game, Ultimate Tenkai- There's a Ginyu Force movie? Do you mean Yo! Son Goku? cause that wasn't about the Ginyu Force that was about dudes who were that strong... also it was just a reunion thing that wasn't even done by Toriyama, and regardless I liked it, it reminded me of Dragon Ball. And Dragon Ball was always good when it was Goofy and Silly... except King Piccolo, that was good regardless.

EDIT: I mean if we counter the Bardock thing we would be counting Dragon Ball Heroes as well and that leads to this stupidity

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 16, 2015

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

The movies involving [...] the rest of the Ginyu Force.

Wait what?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I only saw the mention of the Ginyu Force. Frieza Force, Bleh.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Bardock being the Super Sayian movie was great just for the abridged take on it.

That moment when he finally puts together he's in the past is great. "Shark jumping bullshit" indeed buddy.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Episode 4 Racing in the air

Welcome back! Last time we finally landed on Namek, so let's head out!

Phew, we are finally on Namek! Hey kid, what are we doing here?

Gather the dragonballs and summon Shenon to free the Earth from the tyranny of my mom. The set on Earth still has a long time before it activates again. I can't wait that long or else everyone on Earth will have a bad hair cut like mine.

Oh no! That is terrible! Can't we defeat her?

No way! See what happened to Goku and Vegeta! And my company will go bankrupt if Chi-chi makes more claims! Our best bet is the dragonballs.

We have a signal!

Bulma, which way is the closest signal? Let's start with that one.

That direction... WHAT IS THAT? It's a gund-, sorry wrong anime.

Two alien space pods. Can it be Vegeta? But who is in the other space pod? His girlfriend? No way...

Meanwhile

I'm hopeless. I'm hopeless. I'm hopeless...

Don't worry Vegeta. I'll help you. Just collect those dragonballs, right? What do you do with them? Eat them?

Meanwhile

Gohan, what are you going to wish for?

Infinite Tsukuyom.

Huh?

Better Than Life from Red Dwarf?

Huh?

Human Instrumentality Project?

Huh?

The Matrix?

Oh, you are going to put every one in the VR and enslave them before Chi-chi.

No, just my mom. But enough talk. Let's move!

We start at the northeast corner of the map.

But we are not alone here. Cui is at the northwest corner of the map and for some reason he has a dragonball.

And Vegeta is at the southeast corner of the map. But isn't he with Cui in the cut scene?

Our target is the village at the southwest corner of the map and Vegeta and Cui will move towards the village too.

At this point, the game plays like a multiplayer game. The three teams will take turn to move around the map and draw card, and the first to reach the village will get the dragonball. Sounds fun? In theory yes, but the execution of this idea is not that good.

The biggest problem? We don't have to win! It is not game over even when the other teams get the dragonball and it doesn’t make any difference to the later stages.

There are three such stages in total, and instead of Cui, we play against Dodoria and Zarbon in the other two.

The computer controlled teams move along a fixed path but the length they move for each turn is random. Here, the map favors Cui as Vegeta’s path is more winding and we are the furthest from the village. To counter that, our party has a new “Fly” command on the top right. With this, we can move 4 extra squares on top of number given by the battle card we choose and we move on any terrain. The catch is that since we are flying, we are more likely to encounter enemies. The chance increases from 1/2 to 23/32 for flying and decreases to 3/32 for walking. In this stage we fight the same enemies as the ones in the last map. While we are on Namek, we won’t find the Vegeta card in the card draw. On the other hand, we have three new cards in our card draw.

The first one is a blank card. It does nothing.

The second one is the Grandpa card. If we draw this card, we can choose to stop one of the other two teams for 1 turn. If one of the other two teams draws this card, then that team will stop for 1 turn.

The third one is Guldo card. It is the opposite of the Grandpa card and will stop our team for 1 turn no matter who draws it.

For walking, we have all cards except Guldo and Ginyu cards so there is no negative card. And for flying, we have Freeza, blank, Guldo, Ginyu, Oolong, Grandpa and Porunga. The most beneficial choice for flying is to pick the left most cards as it only has Grandpa, blank and Freeza cards. So we won’t have training mini-game if we fly. Speaking of which, we have another one of the training mini-game back from the last game:

As we can see, instead of being an added bonus, training becomes the main method of gaining BP for walking. If our priority is gaining BP, then flying and fighting every turn is a much more reliable choice. So the catch is not really a catch after all!

On the other hand the other two teams can draw blank, Grandpa, Guldo, Ginyu and Oolong as well as the following two, which are available only to them:

The Cui card is the opposite of Enma card, it turns the attack and defense of the best card to 1.

The Burter card will make that team move further in the next turn.

Since the other two team can draw Oolong or Cui cards, any good battle cards in our deck will be taken away easily so it will be a waste of effort to build a good deck. Instead, by flying with the best battle card every turn, we can over take the other two teams easily. However, winning the race is not the only objective on this map, we can also choose to intercept the other two teams. We can do that if our team pass over their location or block their path and wait for them to pass over us:

Are you looking for dragonballs too? If you find them, can you let me use them first? Pretty please?*puppy dog eyes*
Of course!:swoon:
Baka Bulma!:doh:

Yes, if our team has a dragonball when that happens then Vegeta will snatch it from us. Since we don't and the team which pass over the other team will stop moving and skip the card draw, we can keep moving just one square ahead of Vegeta for a few turns to seriously hinder his progress and quickly fly to intercept Cui. This time, we immediately get into the battle screen against Cui's team.

Remember the mini-boss in the last stage? He was a tier 2. And Cui's team consists of him and three tier 3 goons:

Last time, we learnt enemies usually has a higher effective BP than the BP value given by the scouter. So even the three goons are a big threat against our team. And it is hopeless to fight this team normally; the best choice is to retreat. However the success rate of retreating is not 100%, so don't pass over them if not prepared. And it doesn't take long for this to happen:

It is no surprise that he is the first to go.

But even if he is alive, he still won't get pass this one. This attack is the same as Vegeta's "Explosion Wave" from the last game. This attack is now multi-target and is used by many of the bosses in this game.

This is a scene which the first time player will see often. Why else would the development team make the game over scene so long?

We'll see how to deal with Cui in the next episode of Dragon Ball Z2 LP

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I should've been reading this LP a lot sooner, it's fun.

I played a terribly translated SNES (it started half English half Japanese, slowly became French/Japanese and ended in Japanese) version which went from Saiyan to Freeza saga.
Ironically Yamcha was the best in that game. His version of the spirit bomb saved me through many battles as it seemed to be impossible to dodge it for the AI. So as long as he could fire it I could damage the enemy even if punches failed.
I'm also not sure due to the at that point non existent translation, but I think I somehow managed to have Piccolo fuse with two more Nameks after he already fused with Nail. I encountered two Nameks and they showed the same animation they showed with Nail after which he was suddenly lot stronger. :psyduck: He was key in defeating Frieza being more powerful then Goku. (just the way we like it)

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Huh, I never really thought about that, WHY are they going to Namek if everyone is alive and kicking?

That game over screen is adorable.

Darth TNT posted:

I played a terribly translated SNES (it started half English half Japanese, slowly became French/Japanese and ended in Japanese) version which went from Saiyan to Freeza saga.

That was actually a remake of this very same game and the previous one (which mkwong98 already LP'd).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Petiso posted:

Huh, I never really thought about that, WHY are they going to Namek if everyone is alive and kicking?

That game over screen is adorable.

That was actually a remake of this very same game and the previous one (which mkwong98 already LP'd).

Piccolo isn't alive, which means earth has no Dragon Balls. Considering he decided to turn Face they ought to pay him back.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

I should've been reading this LP a lot sooner, it's fun.

Ironically Yamcha was the best in that game. His version of the spirit bomb saved me through many battles as it seemed to be impossible to dodge it for the AI. So as long as he could fire it I could damage the enemy even if punches failed.
I'm also not sure due to the at that point non existent translation, but I think I somehow managed to have Piccolo fuse with two more Nameks after he already fused with Nail. I encountered two Nameks and they showed the same animation they showed with Nail after which he was suddenly lot stronger. :psyduck: He was key in defeating Frieza being more powerful then Goku. (just the way we like it)

I think that attack also has 100% hit rate in this game, but I'm not certain on this.

I like the NES games more than the SNES game. I remember the bosses in the SNES remake can attack 3 times in a turn, which is totally unfair. And unlike the NES games, BP is not the same as EXP so the characters only get better at level up, instead of immediately after each battle. Also the power-up from Namek Elder changes the style of the characters so Gohan has to share the same style with the rest of the Z fighters.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Episode 5 Training in space

Welcome back! We have a new plot recap for this map when loading the save or pick the bottom right menu item:

Now let's challenge Cui!

We have another attempt at the map again. With a few uses of save and reload, we manage to improve our team members by 600BP each and our battle cards aren't too bad.

This time we starts the fight by using 3 Kaio cards on Gohan. This will give him a huge attack bonus.

Then we use 4 Chi-chi cards to get a full set of Ki attack cards. We have too many of those anyway.

And we use one Enma card so Ten can do some damage too. The plan is to have Chaozu seals Cui's attack and the others use the most powerful attack possible. This plan has 2 big weaknesses, the first one is that Cui must use a battle card with low defense and we don't have a Puar card to ensure that. The other weakness is that Cui may attack before Chaozu has the chance to move. So after a few reloads:

Ten only has enough BE to use Kikoho and it is not doing too much. We have seen Krillin's attack already so it is not shown here. Krillin's attack deals 30 HP damage with his 6 stars card. Overall, their BP are too low to do anything outstanding.

For 100 BE, Gohan's Masenko is not as damaging as one expects. So it is better to send Ten to train in the first stage.

This run is pretty good. Cui is in critical with just one round of attacks.:dance:

The second round, we only use the Bulma card. Thankfully, Cui doesn't use a powerful battle card. It still hurts a lot, but it is not fatal.

Natually, Gohan finishes him off. After this, it takes us another 2 rounds to finish the fight.

We get the 2 stars dragonball from Cui as well as 6 item cards. But the most important reward is the 3500 BP since we don't have much time to train during the dragonball race.

This is very close. If Vegeta moves one more step then we will have to reload and fight Cui again.

This is our team after the battle.

We go into the village and the Namekian gives us the 4 stars dragonball.:hfive:

Meanwhile back on Earth, Goku just wakes up from his coma:

Huh? Where am I? ...Who am I?

Oh no! Goku has amnesia!

Yajirobe arrives with some Senzu beans. Goku takes one and his wounds are healed but he still doesn't have his memory.

They decide to send Goku to Namek to find the dragonballs to restore his memory. In reality, this is a ploy by Goku to get away from Chi-chi!

Now we get to play as Goku!

And we have one additional page to the plot recap.

This map is very much like the first map, including the enemies.

Goku starts with 10000 BP, which is lower than Chaozu!:sweatdrop:

We also has the same training mini game too, but the reward does not worth the trouble. Now we know instead of linking directly to BP, the reward is actually based on the character's level, as this is the reward is the same amount as Gohan's.

Goku comes with a large range of Ki attacks but only has 70 BE.

We can only use up to Kaioken Kamehameha at the moment.

We move one square per turn too, but we not doing it for BP, we are doing it to restock our items. Eventurally, we reach our destination. Goku's journey in space is divided into three parts, each part ends with a training section.

The map switches to the inside of the ship. The tile next to us is the rest area and the tile at the bottom is the training game.

In this mini-game, we play against the gravity chamber (CPU) in 20 times Earth gravity. The game is similar to Blackjack in that the side with the highest total number of stars without going over 10 wins the round. If we wins then Goku will gain a large amount of BP and the CPU will lose some HP depending on our level. If we lose then Goku will lose 20 HP. The CPU has 20 HP and the training section ends when the CPU loses all HP.

First, the CPU will pick 1 to 3 cards. Then we get a random card as our first card and we can choose to either end using more cards or pick a card from our deck as the second card. After this we can choose to end or add a third card, but the third is also randomly generated. If our cards totals to over 10 points then we lose the round without seeing CPU's cards.

If we win the round and has 10 points, the CPU will lose double amount of HP. If we win the round and used 3 cards then we get double BP. If we win by having a Z card and a 2 stars card then we get triple BP.

Our first round we win triple BP because of Z and 2, and the CPU loses double HP because Z counts as 8 points. Goku gains a few levels from the reward and so the next round he deal more damage to CPU as well.

After each round, we can choose to leave the game and rest up. The CPU's HP will also return to full, so we can repeat this as many time as we want until Goku is strong enough to deal 20 HP damage to the CPU.

In the end, we finish the game with a large win and Goku has 138160 BP by then.

After this, we are back on Namek!

Our opponents in the second dragonball race are Dodoria and Vegeta.

This time we start at the north west corner of the map, Dodoria in the north, Vegeta in the east and the village in the south. This map favours Vegeta since Dodoria needs to take a long path round some mountains. This means we have to move at full speed to fight Dodoria and get to the village before Vegeta.

Dodoria has 22000 BP and 425 HP. Just like Cui, he comes with three tier 3 enemies. But now with the reward from beating Cui, they are no longer threatening. And the relative gap between our BP and Dodoria is much smaller now. So this fight is much easier.

Dodoria can use mouth blast which is very powerful and is likely to kill who ever the attack hits.

Ok, let's try again, the plan is the same as fighting Cui:

We have 3 Ki attack cards already, so we use 2 Chi-chi cards, 2 Enma cards and 1 Baba card to set up our battle cards. Then we use 3 Kaio cards on Gohan and dump all of our best attacks on Dodoria.

We start with Chaozu stopping Dodoria's attack.

Yeah! We kill him in one round!:toot: After that we spend a few rounds finishing off the rest.

We earn 5000 BP, 3 item cards and the 3 stars dragonball.

This is the status of our team by the time we reach the village.

And they promptly give us the 6 stars dragonball.:toughguy:

Then we are back with Goku:

Kaio contacts Goku and tells him what has transpired on Namek. He also tells Goku that Piccolo is with him.

Piccolo cuts in and encourages Goku to help Gohan.

So this section is the same as the last Goku section. We restock our item cards while fighting enemies occasionally. Now Goku has enough BE to use Kaioken X3:

The path is pretty short and we quickly reach the training mini-game at the end.

Time to challenge 50 times Earth gravity! This time we have to get through 50 HP to pass the game.

We overdo it... just a little.:woop:

We'll be back with Gohan in the next episode of Dragon Ball Z2 LP!

mkwong98 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 7, 2015

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Freeza...:getin:...goku's comin for yo rear end. I thiiiiink you may have overdone the goku training...but I'm not the one looking to make Freeza a purple stain on Namek, so I can't say too much.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A six digit power level would be enough for his second form. The gravity challenges seem so much more forgiving than that SNES challenge.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Episode 6 Turning the tide in battle

Well come back! We are back with Gohan on Namek:

Lord Freeza! Vegeta is looking for the dragonballs.

Then we must help him, my dear Zarbon. I'll call my personal task force if I have to.

Summon the Ginyu Force? Isn't this too excessive?

Vegeta is one of the last few Sayians. We must help to preserve their race and culture at all cost. This is the least I can do as a servant of the universe.

I understand now, Lord Freeza. I'll make the arrangements.

Thank you Zarbon. And please call me Freeza.

So we are at the third race and this is the biggest hurdle of this LP.

This time the village is at the centre of the map. Once again we start at the north west corner of the map, Zarbon in the south east and Vegeta in the north east. Since the three teams are at roughly the same distance from the village, so this map actually favours our team. However the plot is better if we lose this race. We'll see about that later.

This map introduces the tier 2 goons.

We have seen one of them in the first stage, the other two have similar BP and HP. Each one will give use 200 BP.

The village is in sight after the second round. We have to go round it and head south east to face Zarbon.

Here is the stat of Zarbon and one of the goons we haven't see the stat of.

Ten now has enough BE to use his best attack.

Gohan's BP is slightly higher than Zarbon's and it still hurts.

Krillin deals the final blow again!

Huh? We haven't finish the rest of the goons yet.

Oh dear...:wth:

Help?:ohdear:

55000 BP! The scouter must be malfunctioning!

But we soon find out that it is telling the truth as Zarbon has his revenge. Ok, let's try again!

Try again...

Ok if Gohan does not get hit again then we will be fine...

No! We may need to restart...

Wow, good dodge. If the last one does not target him...

What!

Ok, "what does not kill me makes me stronger", right?

Only if you are a Saiyan with a senzu bean. :getin:

As usual, once we are fighting the second form, we use 2 Kaio cards and 1 Enma card. And because we have 2 Ki attack cards already, we don't use any Chi chi card.

Not only that, this time we will go one step further and use the only Puar card we have and give Zarbon a battle card with weak defense. We also get a good battle out of it.

Eat this! You ugly monster!

We kill the rest in the next round and we are rewarded with:

We get 11500 BP, 5 stars dragonball and 5 item cards. This is the first time we get our hands on Korin card and Grandpa card.

We are very powerful at this point in the game, comparing to around 8000 in a normal run which does not kill the bosses earily.

We reach the village and receive the 7 stars dragonball.

We also pick up Dende who wants to follow us for no reason. Well, we are not complaining, since this will upgrade our Bulma card to Dende card which heals 50% HP and BE instead of 25%.

With the third race being concluded, we return to Goku.

We marvel at the sweet fruits of our hard work!

There is a planet close to our starting point. It is for our best interest that we land on it.

Goku lands at an outpost of Freeza's occupation army and liberates the planet. It is a mystery why they don't attack Goku when he is inside the spaceship.

Goku is up against a tier 3 and 2 final tier goons. A cake walk for Goku at his max.

The native sees Goku is a Saiyan and starts talking about Saiyan Bardock and Freeza 20 years ago and Kakarot.

Goku says that was his name and the native gives him a package.

We get a Porunga card, but this is not what we want, so we have to reload again.

In some attempts, the battle rewards a few items cards, making our inventory full and we can't get the package.

Forturnately the battle is very easy and we finally get the Frog card. We will see the use of it later.

We leave the planet after that. Surely this side quest is not in the autopilot data prepared by Dr. Brief, so it is a wonder that Goku can pilot the spaceship this well.

Then we quickly finish the stage with the training against 100 times Earth gravity.

And Goku thinks he is now strong enough to go up to 10x Kaio Ken.

As two different forces converge to Namek, get ready for the most chaotic fight in the video game history of Dragonball fanchise in the next episode of Dragon Ball Z2 LP!

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I guess you're doing an overpowered run now and will show later the alternative scenes since you mentioned the plot is better if you lose the third race.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

mkwong98 posted:

Well come back!

Oh ho ho!:awesome:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think Goku can take Kaioken to a level beyond 10.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
You know, as simple as the sprites are I have to appreciate that they gave all of the non-mooks animation approximating their moves in the show.

quote:

55000 BP! The scouter must be malfunctioning!
So is that above or below 9.000? :downs:

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

Petiso posted:

I guess you're doing an overpowered run now and will show later the alternative scenes since you mentioned the plot is better if you lose the third race.

Yes, I'll show it in post game content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Goku's power level, TRULY, is indeed maximum. Time to get the popcorn folks, we have a curbstomp battle on our hands!

• Locked thread