Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

You know, as simple as the sprites are I have to appreciate that they gave all of the non-mooks animation approximating their moves in the show.

So is that above or below 9.000? :downs:

We're way past 9000 and power levels will be a thing until they fight Freeza in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mordaedil posted:

We're way past 9000 and power levels will be a thing until they fight Freeza in the show.

Full power Frieza is 1.2 mil apparently.
But Toriyama is especially lazy w/regards to his own works for being a famous Mangaka.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

But Toriyama is especially lazy w/regards to his own works for being a famous Mangaka.

Power levels made no sense to me, since Vegeta could blow up a planet when in the double digit thousands, what's the point after that?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Piccolo blew up the moon and he was weaker than when he fought Raditz. He also didn't spend five minutes to charge it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

THE BAR posted:

Power levels made no sense to me, since Vegeta could blow up a planet when in the double digit thousands, what's the point after that?

Apparently the cores of planets and moons are made of high explosives.
Yamcha could probably blow up the earth if he sent down a ki ball to the core.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Scalding Coffee posted:

Piccolo blew up the moon and he was weaker than when he fought Raditz. He also didn't spend five minutes to charge it.
Roshi blew up the moon in Dragonball and when Bulma was playing with a scouter in the Saiyan Saga he pinged something like low 100s.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Why would Roshi destroy the moon? Roshi was around 120.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Parts Kit posted:

Roshi blew up the moon in Dragonball and when Bulma was playing with a scouter in the Saiyan Saga he pinged something like low 100s.
Roshi had to power up for that, though.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
I always thought the point of power levels was to show how arbitrary the measurements were, since every villain had a whole bunch more but still got their asses kicked because the good guys actually trained and knew how to fight.

Or maybe my brain is retroactively trying to make power levels a less silly concept in my memory.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ysengrin posted:

I always thought the point of power levels was to show how arbitrary the measurements were, since every villain had a whole bunch more but still got their asses kicked because the good guys actually trained and knew how to fight.

Or maybe my brain is retroactively trying to make power levels a less silly concept in my memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlnyjw5LUj0

"Wait a drat minute, something's wrong here. Back on your planet, the Namek couldn't even stand up to Nappa. Yet here he is now taking on Frieza - in his second form!"
"What do you think happened?"
"Well, either Frieza hit me so hard I'm in a delusional coma, or..."
"Or?"
"Power levels are bullshit!"

Scalding Coffee posted:

Why would Roshi destroy the moon? Roshi was around 120.

To stop the rampaging giant ape Goku. This was a dragonball thing, not Z.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Wait some people thought there was a point to Power Levels that wasn't "This is highly innaccurate and used by the villains who are in the wrong every time because they underestimate the 'low power level' opponents?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Well, how often do you see planets or moons training during the series, hmm? Those lazy rocks had it coming.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Onmi posted:

Wait some people thought there was a point to Power Levels that wasn't "This is highly innaccurate and used by the villains who are in the wrong every time because they underestimate the 'low power level' opponents?

I know it's supposed to be that way in the show, but the wiki people seem to think otherwise!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
When they try that on other shows it means a slow death.

The wiki people treat everything as canon.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Onmi posted:

Ah, this takes me back to my younger, stupider days.

Yes. There were people who got into slap fights over arbitrary numbers based on a couple of lines tossed here and there. Stupid guesswork and justification came out of everywhere, because if you could prove that your numbers were right and someone else's numbers were wrong, then you won. But the numbers are a very fluid thing, and all you have to know is that the next bad guy to come along is going to have a higher number than the last good guy who won. Until another good guy has a higher number again. Here's a hint - It's always going to be Goku.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That doesn't seem to fit what they say in the manga when I was recently re-reading it. Maybe it has the wrong numbers, but it had 8000 at the right time. First form was 500,000, second form was "just exceeded 1 million", third form was "double" and fourth was... Double that? And then he wasn't even using 50% of his strength. And then he decided to use 100% and something called "Turbo", which seemed to be his own type of kaioken, but seriously all scouters were busted so who knows.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Every power level chart I read listed ultimate Freezer at 12 million. Goku had 15 million. After that, everyone who mattered was basically a multiple of five million.
Form 1 had 530000
Form 2 had one million
Form 3 1.4 million
Form 4 base had 6 million

Dragonball was better, even if it still used power levels for tournaments. No bullshit numbers. gently caress numbers.

edit: I can guess where you got that. It was before everyone decided that going SUPAH! should increase your power level by 50X, so you can forget Kaioken exists.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 17, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Scalding Coffee posted:

Every power level chart I read listed ultimate Freezer at 12 million. Goku had 15 million. After that, everyone who mattered was basically a multiple of five million.
Form 1 had 530000
Form 2 had one million
Form 3 1.4 million

Dragonball was better, even if it still used power levels for tournaments. No bullshit numbers. gently caress numbers.

huh, don't know why I remembered 1.2.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

Form 1 had 530000
Form 2 had one million
Form 3 1.4 million

edit: I can guess where you got that. It was before everyone decided that going SUPAH! should increase your power level by 50X, so you can forget Kaioken exists.

I see some lists showing 120 millions. I think the power level just doesn't make sense after Ginyu.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I only go by lists that were available when DBZ was still a thing. Anything new is worthless and lazy.

Ginyu was a massive jump compared to everyone else, but by that point, everyone was multiplying their power the whole time. After that, it is assumed that everyone gets another digit in power for each saga.

Yu Yu Hakusho tried measuring power and the 2 kings basically tripled their power within a week, after hundreds of years in power.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 17, 2015

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
What Onmi said, basically. I figured power levels were a capital W Wrong device when, fighting Raditz, Goku's only 10x more powerful than a farmer and gets 3x as powerful charging up a Kamehameha.

Although I think I always assumed there was some lost context or mistranslation going on that gave us Power Levels Be Bullshit, Vegeta suddenly just knows how to sense energy, and Earthlings can "hide" their power levels.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
Did anyone else get suckered into buying the rulebooks for the Dragonball Z roleplaying game? It was pretty ridiculous. All I remember is that you could charge a Genki Dama with a literally unlimited amount of energy, doing UnlimitedD6 damage. They said you could just roll 1 die and multiply it by the factor to get the right number, but Jesus Popo that's a ridiculous rule for a tabletop rpg.

Still, I feel like it might be fun just to go back and try it out to see exactly how bad it is.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

FuriousAngle posted:

Did anyone else get suckered into buying the rulebooks for the Dragonball Z roleplaying game? It was pretty ridiculous. All I remember is that you could charge a Genki Dama with a literally unlimited amount of energy, doing UnlimitedD6 damage. They said you could just roll 1 die and multiply it by the factor to get the right number, but Jesus Popo that's a ridiculous rule for a tabletop rpg.

Still, I feel like it might be fun just to go back and try it out to see exactly how bad it is.

I'd be up for reading scans or anything, because I love dumb 3.5 bullshit. It being so modular means it'd be a cinch to transform all your D&D monks into literal Goku's. So you know, I'd be totally up for throwing that at my players.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Form 1 had 530000
Form 2 had one million
Form 3 1.4 million

I have a feeling I missed something between Form 2 and 4, I mean holy what. I guess it kinda makes sense since Piccolo goes from kinda even fight to being slightly outmatched.

But yes, gently caress numbers.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

I'd be up for reading scans or anything, because I love dumb 3.5 bullshit. It being so modular means it'd be a cinch to transform all your D&D monks into literal Goku's. So you know, I'd be totally up for throwing that at my players.

But yes, gently caress numbers.

It actually wasn't 3.5, it was some system called Fuzion. http://www.scribd.com/doc/228586664/Dragonball-Z-RPG-Core-Book-pdf

It seems like one of those systems that starts off pretty easy to manage, then gets ridiculous once you start multiplying things. Although that fits perfectly with the theme of Dragonball Z. It also, from what I remember, seemed better-geared for 1-on-1 battle, meaning if you had a group of, say 4 players, you'd have 2-3 people just standing around giving color-commentary. They got up to the Android Saga with supplemental source books before they gave up.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That was a lot of ridiculous stuff, holy crap.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

That was a lot of ridiculous stuff, holy crap.

Yeah, there's a Power-Up mechanic that really is true to the nature of the show.

DM: Okay, Frieza advances on you with murder in his eyes.
Player 1: I power up.
Player 2: I power up.
Player 3: I power up.
DM: Frieza powers up as well.

After ten rounds of this...
Player 1: Okay, ready to attack.
DM: Alright, round 1 of combat begins...

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

FuriousAngle posted:

Yeah, there's a Power-Up mechanic that really is true to the nature of the show.

DM: Okay, Frieza advances on you with murder in his eyes.
Player 1: I power up.
Player 2: I power up.
Player 3: I power up.
DM: Frieza powers up as well.

After ten rounds of this...
Player 1: Okay, ready to attack.
DM: Alright, round 1 of combat begins...

That's also how it usually works in the fighting videogames when both players have emptied their ki bars.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Episode 7 Ganging up in battle

After training Goku with 100 times Earth gravity, we return to Namek:

Bulma is too busy at being bored when the Z fighters return with Dende.

Hey Krillin, who is this mini Piccolo?

This is Dende and he wants to move to Earth.

Hm... Dende, how much food do you eat each day?

Namekians don't need to eat.

It is decided! Dende will stay and help out at my place.

Bulma, I'm sure you will break a few child labour laws if you do that.

Ha, those laws only apply to human.

Whatever. I'm taking him to Guru's house to get a passport. See ya!

And so we have Krillin's solo stage!

This is the first stage where we are not forced to move forward or race against others, so we have all the time we want. However this stage also has the tier 2 goons, so if we haven't defeat the bosses, then Krillin will have a very hard time against them. In fact the game expects us to run away and will automatically force Krillin to leave if we spend too long in battle. Our Krillin has enough BP to handle them but it is not efficient to do that so we will move as quickly as we can.

With Dende with us, Krillin has go problem reaching our destination at the west side of the map.

Hi Dende! It's been years since you visited. We miss you so much, you should visit us more often! What brings you here? Do you come to play with us? Oh, I'm so happy! We can buy some new board games if we know you are coming. Speaking of which, I saw a final ultimate special extended mark 5 version 3.1583 edition of Madnug the other day! Can you believe it? And it costs an arm and a leg! Of cause I can grow them back, but it still hurts a lot. And can you believe what is inside that box besides the game set? It is the OST of the anime together with an interview of the composer which has a limited print. And-

Nail! Nail! Sorry, I don't come here to play. Is Guru inside? I want to see him.

Oh, why don't you say so sooner? Guru is taking a nap inside. Just go in and wake him up.

Yo! What's up?... Did I say it right?

Hey, is that a dragonball on top of your seat?

Hello Guru, this is Krillin. He and his friends are looking for the dragonballs and I'm with them at the moment.

Krillin? I don't remember giving this name to anyone... Krillin, is that the latest fashion trend? I want some clothes like that too. And what happened to you? Your skin colour isn't normal, your ears are not pointy, your nose is missing and your antennae became two black strips.

That is because I'm not a Namekian.

Don't worry Krillin, come closer and let me heal you.

Wow. My power just skyrocketed!

Hm...you still look the same as before. Now I understand why you are looking for the dragonballs. You can have this one.

Thanks! I'll bring the others here too!

This is the end of that stage and we switch over to Piccolo.

Our target is to train until Piccolo is at level 30. We can play any of the 3 mini games, 2 of which we have seen before.

And here is the prize from the last stage.

The third training is the clone sparring from the previous game. It also gives the biggest reward. The problem is that this game will drain a lot of HP and we can't access it if Piccolo's HP is too low.

When that happens, we can go to Kaio to heal up.

With that out of the way, we are back with Krillin. This time he takes the whole team with him to Guru's house.

Look at that! The power boost is pretty big. This stage is the same as Krillin's solo stage and it is a catwalk with a full team.

And as we reach the destination:

Isn't that Vegeta?

Krillin? What are you doing here?

...Oh, so that is why you are collecting dragonballs. I'm looking for them too but I think your wish is more important. Ok I'll join you.

Inside the house:

Guru, I'm not a Namekian and I'm not from this planet! I dress like one but I'm not! How many times do I have to tell you? I'm healthy, so please stop healing me!

Gohan! You are here too! Hang on, I sense some body else... The Ginyu Force! Why do they come to this planet?

Gohan, are you done yet? Let's go.

And Gohan goes outside to check out the Ginyu Force.

Meanwhile, near Freeza's ship:

Welcome, Ginyu Force!

Hi Freeza, what do you want?

I want you to help Vegeta to collect the dragonballs.

That's easy. Is that all?

You can beat up some bad guys if you find any.

Ok team, did you hear that? Let's move!

Roger!

Let's see...I have them on the scouter!

Our party members are scared of the approaching Ki signals.

Captain Ginyu is happy to see the dragonballs we are holding and demand us to hand them over.

And we say, "NO!"

Ginyu decides to take it by force and tells his team to decide who fights who by playing rock-paper-scissors.

And they take a bit of time to do that.

Vegeta asks if Goku is coming.

And hopes he will arrive soon as the battle starts.

We are fighting the whole Ginyu Force in a single battle! The BP of our party members are more than enough to handle them.

Not only that, we also have Vegeta with us! Vegeta is a NPC in this game and he uses a random battle card, so we have 6 attacks each round.

And these are the BP and HP of the Ginyu Force members. With five boss characters, there will be lots of Ki attacks each round as we can see with the scouter card and so this is the fight where Mr Popo cards are especially useful. However, since we want to see their Ki attacks, we are not using them. Out of the four Ki attacks, 3 of them are basic energy blast and Captain Ginyu uses Explosion Wave.

After 1 round of combat:
(The spaceship does not change colour when playing, it is due to the GIF program)
Reinforcement has arrived.:wave:

However he can't join the fight yet and we have to move him to the battle field. And each round we switch back and forth between Goku and the battle until then. One problem with this is that we lose the effect of scouter cards and so we can't see the enemies' current HP.

We start to see some unique attacks from the enemies:

Ginyu has a super energy blast which hurts a lot.

Guldo's stop time works similar to Chaozu's special attack.

Burter's looks like Goku's Kaioken.

Jeice's looks like Yamcha's Souki Dan. The Ki attack animations in this game is very limited.

Meanwhile Vegeta is doing his part nicely:

Just like the anime, Guldo is the first to go, and by Vegeta too.

Goku finally arrives at the battle field.

And reads Gohan's mind.:psyduck:

Then he immediately joins the fight. An improvement over the previous game is that Goku is listed at the beginning, so I don't need to move the cursor to the end of the list.

Recoom shows us the Renzoku-Energy Wave which Vegeta has also. Unfortunately we don't get to see Recoom's last attack.

With Goku's help, the Ginyu Force is greatly weakened and Gohan takes the chance to defeat Jeice.

Surprisingly, Captain Ginyu is the next to goes down. He is defeated by our frog card.:hfive:

Goku doesn't fool around and takes down Burter.

Krillin deals the final blow and Ginyu Force is no more!:dance:

A reward of 24000 BP is pretty lacking, as there are 5 of them.

Vegeta kills all of them and Goku isn't able to stop him. But unlike the anime, Vegeta kills Captain Ginyu too.:twisted:

Vegeta talks about Super Sayian and Freeza.

Goku and the others try to summon Shenron but not successful.:confused:

Meanwhile Freeza loses signals from the Ginyu Force and decides to deal with it himself!

Get ready to see Freeza in action in the next episode of Dragon Ball Z2 LP!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Umm, excuse me but there seems to be a mistake in your update.

Namely that you didn't link to this. Shameful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyAEB8TPs1g

I'm surprised the game just took the Ginyu Force out of the equation this fast though. I guess a NES game wasn't going to have the whole Freeza arc in, but...wow, that's some bad treatment for the best characters of this arc.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Seems they don't have time to deal with any Nameks in this game besides Guru. It is strange how NES games can have massive maps, but the story tends to be cut into small sizes when given a chance.

Vegeta is significantly stronger at this point than when Goku recovered from the Ginyu fight.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

Wow, I haven't seen this before.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Vegeta is significantly stronger at this point than when Goku recovered from the Ginyu fight.

Yes, this is because our team is significantly stronger as well. By defeating the bosses early, we skipped one full stage and lots of grinding. I'll play the game again after I finish this run to show a normal power level run and events that we have missed. And once more after that for some special demonstrations.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Another bonus video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju-9yREPnn8

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Episode 8 Meeting Freeza in person

Last time, Freeza finally makes his move and leaves his ship.

Meanwhile at Guru's house:

Nail finally finishes Dende's passport so Dende can now go to Earth!

Dende is in such a hurry that he doesn't stop to greet Freeza and Freeza feels sad that he does not stop to play with him.

How do you do? My name is Freeza and I'm looking for the dragonballs for a friend.

Is your friend Vegeta?

Excellent! So you have met him. How is he?

We gave a dragonball to him and he is travelling with his friends from Earth.

His friends from Earth? So he has other friends to help him?

I think they are working together. You see, the dragonballs can grant 3 wishes so they can have all their wishes granted.

Do you know what his friends wish for?

They want to stop a tyrant on Earth.

A tyrant? This is a noble cause, please tell me more so I can help them!

The tyrant is a woman who is so strict that everyone fear her including her son. Her son wants to use the dragonball to trap her in a virtual reality so that she cannot stop them from having fun.

What? But that is just an overprotective mother! She is not evil! How can you do that to woman who loves her family? How have Vegeta fall so low to help them? This is not just! This is injustice! I'll stop them!

Nail, I think you said too much.

Namekians do not have mother so I don't understand what is really happening but I trust their judgement and I'll not let you hinder them!

It is impossible to win this fight, but Nail does have a reason to have such a high HP for 42000 BP. His task is to delay Freeza for as many turns as possible.

We use battle card with the highest defense and it still hurts alot. Any ki attack from Freeza automatically shows the big explosion regardless of the actual damage.

After each round, we switch over to Dende. Our aim is to move Dende to Goku at the far east of the map:

There is no card draw in this phase so we won't meet any enemy. We use the battle card with the highest attack to move Dende as far as possible. After this, we switch back to Nail and we repeat this cycle until Nail is defeated.

And that happens in the third turn.

Stop already! Can't you see the truth?

You are too late now.

So that kid! It is a shame that you have such a noble heart but it is misplaced.

Freeza starts chasing after Dende.

And oddly enough he gets card draw which can hinder us while we don't. Maybe it is too much trouble to remove battle from the player side card draw.

After a few turns, Dende reaches Goku.

And he promptly summon Porunga for them.

Hey, if I grant you 30 wishes, will you not bother me for the next 10 years?

But we only need 2...

Make it no less than 3!

Yes sir... Can you restore Vegeta's mojo?

Done. Give me two more!

Teleport me over. I want to witness this historical moment with my own eyes.

I want to come too but I can't leave my planet behind...

Gohan? Anyone?

Ok, let's make the final wish!

But Piccolo is not here yet...

What? Porunga is gone? Then Guru...

No way... Are we going to stay here until the dragonballs on Earth activate?

So here you are. I will not let you continue with your evil plan!

Once again, we face Freeza in battle and he still is impossible to defeat. Our objective is to hold fort until Piccolo join us.

We know Freeza has 530000 BP, so Goku and Vegeta deal some heavy damage to Freeza with weak battle cards.

And Freeza beats Chaozu senseless.

Just like the last fight against Freeza, we switch over to Piccolo after one turn.

We immediately move Piccolo to where Nail is.

Ok, I'm no good Samaritan so I better get moving.

If you take out the medicine from the inside pocket then you can take the 3 throusand dollars inside that pocket as well.

Let me take out the money first...

Got you!

No!

I'm not that much stronger and I have another voice inside my head. What a rip-off.

Piccolo still has a long way to go.

Soon we have our first casualty.

Piccolo arrives but we are not done yet. We still need to hang on for a few more turns. With Goku in the fight and we know exactly where Piccolo is, Piccolo's entrance is much less dramatic

It is rare to see but attacks like Taiyoken has different level of effects. If the attack is too weak, like in this case, then the attack has no effect even when it hits the target. As the attack gets stronger, it may stop the target for more than one round. But in that case, the enemy most likely won't last more than 1 round for us to see.

Vegeta continues to show off his ki attacks.

Gohan also goes down.

And the game finally decides to end the fight for us.

We now have the full team and we can move freely while Freeza chases us around the map.

We meet the tier 3 goons as well as palette swap of Cui. This version of Cui has 8000 BP and 200 HP. We gain 600 BP for defeating one of them.

Our target is Goku's ship.

Once we reach it, we can send one character to play the mini game. It plays the same as before except that the computer loses all HP in one turn, so we can't play more until the next turn. And sooner or later Freeza will catch up with us and we have to move around the map too lure him away.

It takes awhile to max out every one but it is definitely faster than fighting goons.

Time to fight Freeza for real!

With max out characters, Freeza's first form is not scary and here we see him misses most of us.

We finally have a chance to see Piccolo's most powerful attack.

And Gohan taks down the first form.

A big but pointless reward.

We all know this isn't the end.

The game immediately throw us into the next battle with Freeza. We can escape from battle at any time but Freeza's HP will be back to max if we do.

If we use scouter on him:

And it blows up in our face! We can actually find out the BP of Freeza's second form using the emulator and it is 700000 BP. This looks pretty low, but the game balance it out by increasing the attack rating of all Freeza's attacks. The rate of increase differs between different attacks but we can think of that as attack of 1 million BP and defense of 700000 BP.

Piccolo continues to show off his attacks.

Freeza does not have anything new to show, so we keep the fight short.

We get another big BP reward.

Freeza transforms into his third form. This is where it gets difficult.

Our party members are still in top shape thanks to Dende but Freeza is now powerful enough that Dende can't keep up in a long run. He has 800000 BP with a large boost in attack rating and a small boost in defense rating. So he has around 2 million BP in attack, 1 million BP in defense and 1000 HP.

We want to keep the fight short and so it is time to use an item card:

We use a Puar card to make sure Freeza does not have a high defense battle card. In this case, we don't have a battle card with lower defense so we swap out Freeza's battle card with one which has the same defense and weaker attack.

It is time to use Super Spirit Bomb! It always shows the biggest explosion.

That puts him in critical after 1 round.

And Piccolo finishes the job with a mouth blast.

40000 BP? Guess how much BP will we get for beating the final form.

Freeza's last form is no joke. Are you ready?

Freeza has 999999 BP and 1600 HP. His effective BP is around 4 million for attack and 1.2 million for defense.

Not only that, he also removes Dende from the equation. Poor Dende...:cry:

As revenge for this, we will use as many item cards as possible!:argh:

Puar card? Checked.

Four Grandpa cards? Checked.

Porunga card as Chi-chi card, Kaio card and Grandpa card? Checked.:madmax:

Now a weak attack will do 50 damage. And we already burn through over 400 HP in 4 attacks.

But even without those 4 attacks and a few of those Grandpa cards, Goku can easily one-hit KO Freeza's final form with Super Spirit Bomb.

Who guessed it?

So we add a hole to the planet.:woop:

And Kaio cares more about giving out passwords.:ughh:

Credits!:bravo:

Then we see the full cast of this game, including the goons.

The end? Of course not!

:ssj:

If you think the fight is too short, here is a version where only healing item cards are used as well as the ending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOggWzmRkMs

Thank you for reading. There will be two more updates and I hope you enjoy the trip so far.

mkwong98 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 14, 2015

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The scouter's blowing up if you try to scan Freeza is another one of those unnecessary detailed things I love :allears:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I wonder why they got rid of the grid in the SNES game? Was it really that much of a slog or too restricting?

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

I wonder why they got rid of the grid in the SNES game? Was it really that much of a slog or too restricting?

Yes, I think that game is trying to be more like a standard RPG with house and shops and the maps in that game is much larger so there are much more walking to do.

I think the card system tries to simulate a board game, so it works better when there are several characters moving on the map. And although there are flaws, it is pretty fun to have some NPCs moving on the map in DBZ2. Actually I think the card system will work well in a SRPG too.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
More games should use cards for fighting. I liked having an element of preparation when doing attacks. I am forced to use all my items to get the strongest attacks and buff/debuff cards are going to work.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Nice LP. I was always a big fan of these games because I felt they captured the spirit of the Dragon Ball Z series even if they didn't have enough powering-up cut-scenes.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Post game content part 1

Welcome back! Last time we finished the main game by beating the bosses early and winning every race. This time we will do the opposite!

First, here is the background music for Porunga:

And we make a wish to travel back in time!

The good old days...

Guess who will reach the village first?

And the winner is Vegeta!

When a computer controlled unit reaches the village, that unit gets into a battle against a young Namekian.

We controls the Namekian and he has only one ki attack. This is a one-sided fight but we can always hope...

...or not.:suicide:

And so Vegeta has the dragonball!

Then we controls Goku and this time Goku trains without leaving to heal up so he doesn't gain as much BP as our last run. Other than that, this section has nothing new to show so we skip directly to the next Namek stage.

Our team members gain a few hundred BP in the last stage.

Once again Vegeta wins the race.

We have another improvement of a few hundreds BP in this stage.

Don't you think that village elder looks like Kami?

Another fight against Vegeta.

This time, our fighter live long enough to use a ki attack but the result is still the same.:cry:

Vegeta takes the second dragonball!

We switch over to Goku as before and this is his BP at the beginning of the stage.

Once again, we skip to the next race.

This stage introduces the tier 2 goons and we are stalling on purpose so we are rewarded with much bigger BP gain.

The reason for stalling is that we want Zarbon to take the dragonball for a change.

Another fight for the dragonball! This time it is against Zarbon.

Zarbon naturally kills every one. Come to think about it, even if we manage to get the dragonball, the others will not know about it and still come to the village. So every one will die anyway.

Zarbon gets the dragonball.

But there is an extra scene for this stage.

We get to move around the map freely without Zarbon or Vegeta! So this is the best grinding place as this is the only stage with the Z fighters before Guru and without time limit. And this stage has tier 2 enemies too so it doesn't take too long to grind.

We fight a few times quickly to get another 1000 BP.

We get an extra scene and a good place to grind at the cost of one dragonball. I think it is a pretty good trade.

We switch over to Goku and as before, Goku finishes the training game without leaving once. This is his BP at the beginning of his third stage.

Then we have Krillin's solo stage

Krillin is much weaker than our previous run, so fighting enemy can be difficult.

And this time, Freeza's henchmen trio are roaming on the map too. Krillin will be doomed if he encounter any of them. Luckily they are easy to avoid. Other than that, the rest is the same as before.

After this, we have the second journey to meet Guru. Once again, we have the henchmen trio on the map too.

So this is Krillin's BP after the power up. This is much lower than our first run.

Than there is an entirely new stage with Vegeta with us. The goons we fight here are tier 3 enemies.

Our target is to beat the henchmen trio and grab the dragonballs.

This is more than enough to beat them.:toughguy:

But not him.

We tackle them from starting with the weakest. We gain a few thousand BP by fighting our way to him.

We don't get to see Vegeta fighting the trio in the last run, we do now.

The reward from the fight is still big, but not as significant.

Freeza moves in a fixed path around the ship, so we can get inside the ship easily. Let's see what is inside.

We find a dragonball! Then we decide to explore a bit more.

And Vegeta introduces the others to the healing tank. We can choose who we want to send in. But each time there is a chance that Freeza will find us.

When that happens, we have to endure fighting Freeza for one round.

Can't even hurt him!:sweatdrop:

It hurts! A LOT!:supaburn:

It will undo all the healing we get from the healing tank and more! Definitely not worth it!

If Freeza uses Explosion Wave then we will get a game over.

We have a lot of healing to do after that fight. We escape from all fights until all are fully healed and then we move on to fight the next one.

With his BP much higher than the others in the team, he gets to kill the other bosses.

We now have all the dragonballs!

Then the Ginyu Force arrives as usual, but this time we hand over the dragonballs.

Goku arrives too soon after.

But this time we don't need to wait for him.

He immediately joins our team.

This time we can move on the map.

And this is our team. The BP of the whole team is much lower than the previous run.

But we are not fighting the whole team in one battle. We have to chase them like the henchmen trio.

Each of the Ginyu Force now has a few goons with him.

Leave no survivors!

This fight doesn't give much BP.

Here is our next patient.

He suffers from Blue Energy Deficiency.

And here is the payment for the treatment.

Next!

The treatment for this patient is acupuncture applied to the face with a fist instead of needles.

Pay up!

Next!

He suffers from an extreme case of bad breath.

We punch the bad tooth out of his mouth.

Another job well done!

Our BP before the last fight in this update!

The goons with him are stronger than the others.

We don't have the frog this time.

The one who gets hit by body change will be left with 29 HP.

We can use his Ki attack too.

But he change again before we can do anything fun with his Ki attack. We heals Krillin with Bulma card but after the second change, he is back to 29 HP again.

We do better in the next round.

And he keeps changing body...

Then he changes with Chaozu again and get his body back.

However we are not fast enough to beat him before he changes with someone else. This attack is pretty powerful as it always leave the character with 29 HP. Bulma card can't keep up.

The worst case scenario!:wth:

Can we beat him?:ohdear: We better keep track of his HP with a scouter.

Captain Ginyu can use Goku's Ki moves too.

It takes awhile to finish the battle.

And the Ginyu Force is down!

Here, Vegeta only kills Captain Ginyu since the others are gone already. After this the rest of the game is the same as the previous run so I'll stop here. Thank you for reading, we have 1 more update to go. Bye for now!

mkwong98 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
I'm wholly assuming the answer is no, but if Ginyu finishes the fight with one of your fighters' body, are there any lasting effects? I know we're not blessed by the gods enough to have the game just give you Ginyu and remove Chiatzou forever (or Goku :D) but does anything happen post-battle?

• Locked thread