Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

drat son, where'd you discuss this?

Trap: bass music characterized by 808 drums, samples of black people saying things, and drat SON WHERE'D YOU FIND THIS

To get any newbies to trap started:

- Circus/Festival Trap: the most popular kind of trap, with lots of one-shot vocal samples and/or horns.
See:

> Bro Safari ft. DJ Craze - Spooked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya_XddpkeJ8

> Mr Carkack - Palm Hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13wgFb8ghzQ

> Keys N Krates - Understand Why
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIFtQgwfH4E

> RL Grime - Core
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDbcsGvQ2Rg

- Future Trap similar to circus/festival, but with less of a focus on vocal one-shots and synth stabs and more on soul and funk

> sam gellaitry - business
https://soundcloud.com/samgellaitry/business

> Rvdical the Kid & MisterMack - Ethereal
https://soundcloud.com/flowfi/rvdical-the-kid-mistermack-ethereal

- Hybrid Trap: Trap/dubstep mix. A.k.a., trap for people who don't like trap.

> Carvar & Clock - Miskatonic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Xf5CvWe6M

> Twine - Freakin Out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_M4wW1p-Y

> LAXX - Semi Auto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSnDcab23Ho

If there are any subgenres I've left out, let me know.

ALSO: Feel free to promote any trap you've made, as long as you're also somewhat contributing to discussion and not spamming every other post with your fire mixtape.

slowfreq fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I'm seeing Flosstradamus tomorrow night (though they may be more EDM than Trap). I'm gonna dance my balls off while screaming Windows 95-era internet .wav files that they sample. I'm excited.

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

SgtScruffy posted:

I'm seeing Flosstradamus tomorrow night (though they may be more EDM than Trap). I'm gonna dance my balls off while screaming Windows 95-era internet .wav files that they sample. I'm excited.

that's the problem with living in buttfuck kentucky, is that no good musicians ever play near me

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005
What, if any difference, is there between Cloud Trap and Witch House? They seemed very similar, and would appear to share some similar origin genres.

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

troll for dollars posted:

What, if any difference, is there between Cloud Trap and Witch House? They seemed very similar, and would appear to share some similar origin genres.

i've never actually heard of witch house before. seems like witch house, based on what i've heard from googling "witch house", it's more dark and dissonant than cloud trap.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

No Keys n Krates in the OP! Shameful.

Also, is anyone going to see RL Grime in London on 16th January? I'll be arriving alone unfortunately.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

SgtScruffy posted:

slowfreq posted:

that's the problem with living in buttfuck kentucky, is that no good musicians ever play near me

I don't know where you are in Kentucky, but Flosstradamus was in Cincinnati November 30th, went to that show with some friends.

Definitely had a good time, but it wasn't the performance I had hoped for. Autobot did most (almost all) of the DJing while J2K spent most of the show waving flags around on stage and playing hype man. We all kind of left with the same suspicion that Autobot does all the live stuff while J2K is probably some sort of studio wizard who predominantly makes the stuff.

I was expecting a lot of energy, and there was plenty, but it kept getting broken up over and over again with the music stopping and them giving instruction to the crowd, call and response, what have you. I'd like to see them in a festival setting before I pass judgment because I love their produced stuff. A favorite of mine, their remix of Sub Focus - Tidal Wave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nSY4FHAl34

If not the best, at least the most memorable trap show I ever went to was Grandtheft in Louisville. There were seriously maybe 60 people there, and the venue Diamonds regularly packs in hundreds for a Saturday show. Very intimate, he dropped a bunch of his better remixes and tried some new stuff I hadn't heard.

Bonus link: Kaskade - Atmosphere (Instant Party! Festival Trap Remix) - https://soundcloud.com/instantpartymusic/kaskade-atmosphere-instant

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cloud Trap and Witch House

Ok this "genre" is an elaborate joke and the subgenres are all in on it. Got it.

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

thathonkey posted:

Ok this "genre" is an elaborate joke and the subgenres are all in on it. Got it.

trap doesn't actually exist, it's all an inside joke

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

SgtScruffy posted:

I'm seeing Flosstradamus tomorrow night (though they may be more EDM than Trap).

lmao

What, if any difference, is there between Cloud Trap and Witch House?

lmao

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

devil
Jul 14, 2012

Hmm.. this alien must have said something funny

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Oh cool the kind of lovely music I make gets lumped in with even shittier music that OP likes. gently caress off bud

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Oh cool the kind of lovely music I make gets lumped in with even shittier music that OP likes. gently caress off bud

which subgenres did i forget in the OP? i added the ones that i know, but if i forgot some, let me know

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Gaming Gal posted:

Hmm.. this alien must have said something funny

He does say something but it isnt funny

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Future Japan

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

slowfreq posted:

which subgenres did i forget in the OP? i added the ones that i know, but if i forgot some, let me know

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Oh My God

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

this is now a yung lean fanthread, everyone out

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Update: Girls don't wear clothes to trap shows.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Saw yung lean last night.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Can't believe this thread is transitioning into serious posting rather than 5-10 mocks and a graceful slide into oblivion.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

I don't get your problem with it?

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

The Fresh Prince posted:

Saw yung lean last night.

where? and how'd it go? i've only ever seen video of him live, and tbh it sounded pretty rear end

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

UncleBlazer posted:

I don't get your problem with it?

The music the OP tried clumsily to refer to is poo poo, and to top it off with there's a whole bunch of unrelated music just randomly thrown in. Nobody but dumbasses has ever said anything is "Cloud Trap", especially when he pretty much just names the sadboys poo poo which are pretty clearly rap. And why is footwork here? And wtf is "Future Japan"?

And I don't even listen to cracker trap but how do you not have baauer who like created the poo poo?

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

alansmithee posted:

The music the OP tried clumsily to refer to is poo poo, and to top it off with there's a whole bunch of unrelated music just randomly thrown in. Nobody but dumbasses has ever said anything is "Cloud Trap", especially when he pretty much just names the sadboys poo poo which are pretty clearly rap. And why is footwork here? And wtf is "Future Japan"?

And I don't even listen to cracker trap but how do you not have baauer who like created the poo poo?

i tried not to add in the music everyone's heard. but if you have any alternatives to the songs i have up there, let me know

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

If you don't want to listen to it and don't want to talk about it, please just ignore the loving thread (that means don't read and reply!) and/or stab yourself in the neck.

The "you enjoy a lesser version of something I enjoy and I WILL TELL YOU ABOUT IT AND WHY YOU ARE STUPID" attitude does no good for you or the people that actually want to discuss something.

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

what's really killing me, though, is sam gellaitry. he's been posting tracks like once every couple weeks or so, and i think he's working up to a full-length album of tracks, but nobody's announced anything. i just want to slap the head of his record label for not releasing it right now

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

alansmithee posted:

Oooh I see. Well yeah I agree with you 100% on everything you've said.

I'd say for the OP maybe put RL Grimes, Keys n Krates, Kai Waichi.

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

UncleBlazer posted:

Oooh I see. Well yeah I agree with you 100% on everything you've said.

I'd say for the OP maybe put RL Grimes, Keys n Krates, Kai Waichi.

no clue how i didn't think of RL Grime, i'm def putting him into the OP. haven't actually heard of the other two artists, but i can dig keys n krates. not too big a fan of kai wachi though tbh

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
My favorites are whitey mcwhiterton and ku klux jam.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Chief McHeath posted:

If you don't want to listen to it and don't want to talk about it, please just ignore the loving thread (that means don't read and reply!) and/or stab yourself in the neck.

The "you enjoy a lesser version of something I enjoy and I WILL TELL YOU ABOUT IT AND WHY YOU ARE STUPID" attitude does no good for you or the people that actually want to discuss something.

What if you think that threads in the music forum should actually be informative and display some basic knowledge about the music being discussed?

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

A human heart posted:

What if you think that threads in the music forum should actually be informative and display some basic knowledge about the music being discussed?

i don't even know how to spell the word "trap"

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

slowfreq posted:

i don't even know how to spell the word "trap"

where did this music come from, op ?

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

rectal valium goop posted:

what do you mean?

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

rectal valium goop posted:

it comes from where all great music comes from: the heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

A human heart posted:

Perhaps the OP isn't the greatest or deepest given Future Cloud Helicopter Spiral trap. I think that it was made pretty clear it was designed to be a thread for people who enjoy RL Grime or Bro Safari or Flosstradamus or What So Not or ETC! ETC! to talk about similar sounds.

But, the terrible music it is, it surely can't be discussed among people with a similar taste in a MUSIC forum because you don't have a taste for it and you feel a need to belittle and poo poo on people for it.

Go to your own Deep Jungle Psy Prague Minimalist Ambient Garage proto-Gregorian Chant thread if you want to talk about it. I'm not gonna waltz in there and tell you its some bullshit.

gently caress yourself.

• Locked thread