Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
supertrap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

heres my favorite trap album fam:

devil
Jul 14, 2012

it doesn't count as an emptyquote if you do it to yourself

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
im fine with it but that's just me

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Gaming Gal posted:

it doesn't count as an emptyquote if you do it to yourself
i see you havent received the updated emptyquote rules yet

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

SgtScruffy posted:

Update: Girls don't wear clothes to trap shows.

Can confirm, genre is awesome for this alone.

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

alansmithee posted:

Also, does it have to be actual black people samples for it to be trap music, or can it be white people who sound black? What if I wanna use a Bobby Caldwell sample? Is that a different genre?

it's not trap unless you have that one sample of the black guy yelling HEY

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
What do you call yung lean if he performed in the early 1900s rural america?

Ok ill see myself out

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

i just realized that black people that make trap can sample themselves....jesus christ. how deep does this genre go

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

https://soundcloud.com/braeden-bailey-1

you guys should give that guy a follow if you enjoy future trap poo poo, he's pretty rad. did a remix of a DIVERSA song, who i masturbate to daily, so he's a-ok in my book

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

slowfreq posted:

instead of whining, tell me what to fix. i'm not stubborn, i'll fix poo poo and update it with better info if you give me good info to put into the OP.

Your OP isn't something you can just 'fix' by adding more subgenres or whatever. It's broken on a fundamental level due to your lack of understanding of the genre.

slowfreq posted:

"i hate trap so much i'm gonna argue about it constantly in a thread about trap, that'll show him"

People here aren't posting because they hate trap, just your weirdass myopic definition of the genre. I mean look at the wikipedia article for trap.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_%28music%29

It's not hard to understand, and it's only half as long as a typical entry for a minor star wars character. You're only covering a subset of the genre without even acknowledging the larger context.

Also you try to define it using spurious labels that were never meant to be taken seriously in the first place. eg. "circus trap" "future japan"

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

slowfreq posted:

instead of whining, tell me what to fix. i'm not stubborn, i'll fix poo poo and update it with better info if you give me good info to put into the OP.

Don't listen to the haters man, dope OP. my only issue is you forgot to include minimal trap in it, which is the best and "purest" form of trap imo and should be added to the top of the list: http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=vnJpDf8wDy4&p=n#/176;194

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

People here aren't posting because they hate trap, just your weirdass myopic definition of the genre. I mean look at the wikipedia article for trap.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_%28music%29

It's not hard to understand, and it's only half as long as a typical entry for a minor star wars character. You're only covering a subset of the genre without even acknowledging the larger context.

Also you try to define it using spurious labels that were never meant to be taken seriously in the first place. eg. "circus trap" "future japan"

i will concede that i probably (and by probably i mean definitely) don't know as much about the genre as someone who's listened to it since the 90's. i started listening to it about a year ago, and my knowledge of it starts from about a year ago too. in that, my op focuses on the trap music that's gotten popular in the past year, which probably doesn't include "classic" trap, which i am not really that familiar with.

that being said, the only reason i made this thread was because there was no other trap discussion thread on NMD (that i could find), so i made one. i can understand that i probably should be knowledgeable in trap to make an informative OP (which i guess i failed at!), though.

devil
Jul 14, 2012

this thread has been on gas chamber countdown since you started it and i hope it happens before you can make any more stupid posts about what you think "trap" music is

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

My problem is the thread was called trap and was immediately poo poo upon. Can there not be a first thread with some talk about a genre without a bunch of fucks coming in and looking down their noses?

A first trap thread emerges. it is imperfect. It begats discussion of the genre and the artists who produce it - and is overwhelmed by tons of people scratching their rear end in a top hat and screaming "trap is 4 dumbs!"

There becomes a Trap 2.0 thread where there is music and talk shared amongst people who like it and those who don't like it ignore it.

Imagine a place where people could discuss the music they happen to like!

Also: MartyParty. Oh hey its "the trap" it probably sucks.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Chief McHeath posted:

My problem is the thread was called trap and was immediately poo poo upon. Can there not be a first thread with some talk about a genre without a bunch of fucks coming in and looking down their noses?

A first trap thread emerges. it is imperfect. It begats discussion of the genre and the artists who produce it - and is overwhelmed by tons of people scratching their rear end in a top hat and screaming "trap is 4 dumbs!"

There becomes a Trap 2.0 thread where there is music and talk shared amongst people who like it and those who don't like it ignore it.

Imagine a place where people could discuss the music they happen to like!

Also: MartyParty. Oh hey its "the trap" it probably sucks.
I know you would like to imagine a world where all of that is true but actually people articulated the problems with the thread pretty clearly:

Gaming Gal posted:

i think the point everyone here is trying to make is that if you want to make an informative thread about a genre of music it would help if you knew a lick about the genre of music youre posting a thread about

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Your OP isn't something you can just 'fix' by adding more subgenres or whatever. It's broken on a fundamental level due to your lack of understanding of the genre.

So yeah, you should know something about what the gently caress you're trying to talk about if you want to talk about it. If you have no interest in actually learning about the music you supposedly like and just want to post your favorites, go to PYF or something.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

slowfreq posted:

i can understand that i probably should be knowledgeable in trap to make an informative OP

then why did you do it?

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

cryme posted:

then why did you do it?

i just wanted to make a discussion thread, and i didn't want to have just one line of "hey, discuss this", so i attempted (really badly) to make it informative. i tried modeling it after the drum and bass thread, but i'm poo poo at things, so it went badly

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005
Saw RL Grime and Lunice last week. Grime was fine in that "festival" trap sort of way, but I really enjoyed Lunice. He's a bit goofy, but at least he has stage presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

troll for dollars posted:

What, if any difference, is there between Cloud Trap and Witch House? They seemed very similar, and would appear to share some similar origin genres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88zQ_sf6BMg

• Locked thread