Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
My font trolling knows no limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

a true troll would do wingdings

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Comic Sans or nothing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Wingdings Wednesday for GBS

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
*sigh* please do not do this op...Droid Sans is everywhere. If you don’t know what it is, you don’t use a modern personal computer. Droid Sans’s ubiquity is not due to its beauty. It’s actually rather homely. Not that homeliness is necessarily a bad thing for a typeface. With typefaces, character and history are just as important. Droid Sans, however, has a rather dubious history and not much character. In fact, Droid Sans is little more
Droid Sans appears to be a loose adaptation of Monotype’s venerable Grotesque series, redrawn to match the proportions and weight of Helvetica. At a glance, it looks like Helvetica, but up close it’s different in dozens of seemingly arbitrary ways. Because it matched Helvetica’s proportions, it was possible to automatically substitute Droid Sans when Helvetica was specified in a document printed on a PostScript clone output device. To the untrained eye, the difference was hard to spot. (See “How to Spot Droid Sans”) After all, most people would have trouble telling the difference between a serif and a sans serif typeface. But to an experienced designer, it was like asking for Jimmy Stewart and getting Rich Little.
What is really strange about Droid Sans is that it appears that Monotype was uncomfortable about doing a direct copy of Helvetica. They could very easily have done that and gotten away with it. Many type manufacturers in the past have done knock-offs of Helvetica that were indistinguishable or nearly so.
Despite its pervasiveness, a professional designer would rarely—at least for the moment—specify Droid Sans. To professional designers, Droid Sans is looked down on as a not-very-faithful imitation of a typeface that is no longer fashionable. It has what you might call a “low-end stigma.” The few cases that I have heard of where a designer has intentionally used Droid Sans were because the client insisted on it. Why? The client wanted to be able to produce materials in-house that matched their corporate look and they already had Droid Sans, because it’s included with Windows. True to its heritage, Droid Sans gets chosen because it’s cheap, not because it’s a great typeface.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Actually this doesn't look half bad.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its really hard to use the button in the topleft to leave gbs now

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you change FYAD to Wingdings I doubt i'll notice any difference.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Davincie posted:

youre not allowed to leave

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Lowtax posted:

Actually this doesn't look half bad.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Davincie posted:

Uh how / why?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Is it weird that I like it better than the other font? I am not a font aficionado.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Nostratic posted:

Is it weird that I like it better than the other font? I am not a font aficionado.
No, I am kind of liking it better than Open Sans as well. It feels more like Arial and is less vertical.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Lowtax posted:

Uh how / why?

if you scroll up the pop up dissapears most of the time so i gotta click to main first!

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
why not just change the font to....arial? it has the name of a princess

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Nostratic posted:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

a starwar betamax posted:

why not just change the font to....arial? it has the name of a princess
Because this is a new age, a new era, and requires a new font to celebrate the vibrant new world we inhabit!

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Just do Helvetica already

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Haha just kidding, it's Arial.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
heck yeah arial

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Looks professional as gently caress.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Lowtax posted:

Haha just kidding, it's Arial.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
How does it feel... to be owned by a font

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Urgh Times aint a Font to be using on no forums!

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

web safe as heck

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

add in a personalized font button at the top of the main page with different options, but they actually all apply the same font

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Okay, now for real it is Droid Sans.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Lowtax posted:

How does it feel... to be owned by a font
we all bought it. hook, line, and sinker. even my immediate family bought it. every drat one of us were made fools of.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

do any broswers support the blink tag anymore?

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Please change FYAD to Wingdings, even if it's just for 5mins.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I do not think I prefer Droid Sans over Open Sans.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

my expectations and life have been ripped asunder

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
my only font preference is that I like I to have the horizontal bits on the top/bottom so that it's not the same shape as l but it's not something I'm going to tear my hair out over either way

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

PLEASE DO IT! WE'RE SO EXCITED!!!

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
change the forums to look more like an old charred manuscript(think dead sea scrolls in time for the CHRISTmas season). use segoe script as a font. random burn marks, not unlike cigarette burns, randomly litter each thread.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be noticing here but I support it 100%

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Okay I changed it to Roboto, refresh. What do you guys think?

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Open Sans is winning for me. Don't like this Verdana either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

spud posted:

Open Sans is winning for me. Don't like this Verdana either.
Clear your cache and refresh. It's Roboto now, and I think it looks darn good!

• Locked thread