Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I need to make some very simple edits to a video from a DVD. I've copied the VOB files, and I'm trying to use SUPER to convert them into WMV files, so I can throw them into WMM 2.6. I manage to convert the file, and Windows Movie Maker even lets me do the edits I want, but it always fails when I try to save the final file. Some digging around suggests that the format of my imported file is to blame.

So are there any settings for SUPER that are a surefire bet for playing nice with WMM? Or should I use a different converter on the original DVD content to begin with? (I've gotten the impression that SUPER is normally the best to use for these things, but I'm willing to try other programs if they're recommended).

Minidust fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
I think that version should support MPEG2 which is the original source of DVD. Demux video and audio track by using DVD Decrypter and import the video and audio to WMM. If the audio is DD5.1/DTS instead of MP2/MP3 you might need to convert it to some other format first.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Rosoboronexport posted:

I think that version should support MPEG2 which is the original source of DVD. Demux video and audio track by using DVD Decrypter and import the video and audio to WMM. If the audio is DD5.1/DTS instead of MP2/MP3 you might need to convert it to some other format first.
Thanks! I've gone through the demuxing part, but the resulting files don't import into WMM in their native state. File types are M2V and another VOB. I tried just renaming to the M2V file to MPG and MPEG, and WMM seemed to think it could import them (there was't a "no" symbol when I dragged it over), but I got an error message.

I also tried this "freemake" converter that I saw mentioned in the Windows Movie Maker forums. That one only converted the first 30 seconds of the video from the VOB.

For the record, I've also tried Windows Live Movie Maker (the one that comes with Windows 7). It actually allowed me to save the file, but it hard codes black space to force your video into a true 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio. For the video I'm working with, that results in window boxing all around when viewing in full screen. WLMM also lacks some of the basic editing options in WMM2.6, which is another reason I try to avoid using it.

Man, I figured DVD to WMM must be a really common scenario, since it's basically Babby's First Video Editor and everyone has it, but information is surprisingly sparse. :(

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I realize this is a stupid question but what is your end goal here? What is on this DVD and where are you trying to play the resulting file?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

nexxai posted:

I realize this is a stupid question but what is your end goal here? What is on this DVD and where are you trying to play the resulting file?
It's an amateur DVD of an indy wrestling show I was in. Trying to pull my match out of it and post it on YouTube.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

It's an amateur DVD of an indy wrestling show I was in. Trying to pull my match out of it and post it on YouTube.
If it's not encrypted, you should just use something like VirtualDub. You set your cut in point, your cut out point, set it to Stream Copy so there's not encoding (just cutting), and BAM, you're done.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

nexxai posted:

If it's not encrypted, you should just use something like VirtualDub. You set your cut in point, your cut out point, set it to Stream Copy so there's not encoding (just cutting), and BAM, you're done.
Sounds promising. Any sort of fade in/out options? If not, I can live without it.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

Sounds promising. Any sort of fade in/out options? If not, I can live without it.
I'm sure there are ways, but I've never done editing that "in depth" so I'm not sure what those ways would be. Google "virtualdub fade in out" and you'll probably find a tutorial.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The VOB files are just MEPG2 streams and should import no problem. Did you try renaming those files to .MPG and importing them in one by one?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Stanley Pain posted:

The VOB files are just MEPG2 streams and should import no problem. Did you try renaming those files to .MPG and importing them in one by one?

Minidust posted:

I tried just renaming to the M2V file to MPG and MPEG, and WMM seemed to think it could import them (there was't a "no" symbol when I dragged it over), but I got an error message.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
He said nothing of renaming the VOB files.

Also dumping a DVD should net you .VOB, .IFO and .BUP files. Not sure where the M2V file is coming from. If the DVD is NOT encrypted(most likely it's not) simply copying and importing the VOB files should work no problem.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Stanley Pain posted:

I've tried this - I can import the renamed file, but when I add it to the timeline I get audio only (and just the first 30 seconds).

Stanley Pain posted:

Also dumping a DVD should net you .VOB, .IFO and .BUP files. Not sure where the M2V file is coming from. If the DVD is NOT encrypted(most likely it's not) simply copying and importing the VOB files should work no problem.
When I demuxed this is what I got:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Minidust posted:

I've tried this - I can import the renamed file, but when I add it to the timeline I get audio only (and just the first 30 seconds).
When I demuxed this is what I got:

Windows Movie Maker supports VOB files. Try using a different program to RIP the DVD (something that doesn't alter the files at all) or simply just copying the VOB files from the DVD if it's not encrypted. Try DVD Decrypter @ http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Stanley Pain posted:

Windows Movie Maker supports VOB files. Try using a different program to RIP the DVD (something that doesn't alter the files at all) or simply just copying the VOB files from the DVD if it's not encrypted. Try DVD Decrypter @ http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk
Yeah, I did copy my VOB files directly from the DVD. Are you sure you're not thinking of Windows Live Movie Maker? That one takes my VOB files, although it gets all weird with the time if I don't convert the file first. Like, the progress bar always appears to be 30 seconds, but if you click around and manually advance you can view past it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Minidust posted:

Yeah, I did copy my VOB files directly from the DVD. Are you sure you're not thinking of Windows Live Movie Maker? That one takes my VOB files, although it gets all weird with the time if I don't convert the file first. Like, the progress bar always appears to be 30 seconds, but if you click around and manually advance you can view past it.

Curse Microsoft and their silly named programs :P

Try converting the VOB files to WMV (If Movie Maker doesn't import this there's a bigger issue at play) using this: http://www.pcfreetime.com That program was recommend on the MS answer forums but use at your own risk and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Stanley Pain posted:

Curse Microsoft and their silly named programs :P

Try converting the VOB files to WMV (If Movie Maker doesn't import this there's a bigger issue at play) using this: http://www.pcfreetime.com That program was recommend on the MS answer forums but use at your own risk and all that.
Ha!

What I did originally was convert the VOB to a WMV, using SUPER. This appeared to work fine in Windows Movie Maker, up until the very last step where it saves the file. It would start saving, get maybe 60% through it and then throw up a fairly generic error message - citing the save location, disc space, or file format as the problem. Given that it saved other WMV files fine, it seemed that the converted file was the problem.

I tried SUPER-converted WMV files using a different codec, but those ended up degrading the video quality quite considerably. Of course, movie maker saved with those files just fine.

Guess my next steps should be to play around with VirtualDub and/or PCfreetime! Naturally I'll select whatever "advanced" install option is offered and turn down any adware offers and such. Thanks for the input so far guys.

• Locked thread