Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Are there any of these that don't/didn't suck horribly besides some of the stuff on Tabletop Simulator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I don't know, but apparently I have been playing monopoly wrong this whole time because I never knew that if you didn't want to buy a property, you had to auction it off. That probably would have made the games go by much faster.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Space Hulk was a fairly popular board game that'd had a few adaptations over the years. The current one is pretty good as a more claustrophobic X-COM.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Europa Universalis turned out alright. It even has a Goon running the project now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Actually OP, the stuff on Tabletop Simulator overwhelmingly sucks. There's a bunch of good games on VASSAL and sites like Board Game Arena and though.

e: also Puzzle Strike and Yomi are cool.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Carcassonne on the Xbox 360 was a thing I played a ton with friends. It was pretty fun and seemed well-made.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I like Ticket to Ride.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Came in here to post the best video game version of a board game and it's in the OP. I have an NES emulator on my phone just to play Monopoly sometimes when I'm bored.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Clubhouse Games on the Nintendo DS was really great, and it's sad that there were never any followup or copycat games on other systems.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I really like the N64 Monopoly because you can play as Mr. Potato Head

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

blackguy32 posted:

I don't know, but apparently I have been playing monopoly wrong this whole time because I never knew that if you didn't want to buy a property, you had to auction it off. That probably would have made the games go by much faster.

Yeah, when I found out the actual rules I was dumbfounded. No money for landing on Free Parking? gently caress that.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

http://www.brettspielwelt.de/Spiele/

The cattle are multiplying

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

blackguy32 posted:

Not against you personally, but I feel like every single person I've ever spoken to who hates Monopoly is not aware of a couple of key rules that make the game go waaaay faster than people think it does. One is like you said about auctioning off the properties. The other is that if you have properties you that aren't part of a monopoly you can freely sell them to any other player for any amount you agree on or barter with other properties, etc.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I rented Clue for SNES when I was a kid, it was pretty mediocre.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Neo Rasa posted:

Not against you personally, but I feel like every single person I've ever spoken to who hates Monopoly is not aware of a couple of key rules that make the game go waaaay faster than people think it does. One is like you said about auctioning off the properties. The other is that if you have properties you that aren't part of a monopoly you can freely sell them to any other player for any amount you agree on or barter with other properties, etc.

I hate monopoly and I know how to play it correctly. This is because monopoly is a bad game literally designed to be bad.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Trading in Monopoly is like the whole point of the game, otherwise it's just an even more boring Risk. Also, house rules, trades are not limited to in-game commodities

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Axis And Allies on PC is pretty fun.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I thought this was a thread about board games based on video games. Anyone remember this fuckin thing?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Charles Martel posted:

Came in here to post the best video game version of a board game and it's in the OP.

Ditto. The only two things wrong with it are 1) you can't speed through the end of the CPU's turn, and 2) no way to trade the Get Out of Jail Free cards (unless I've been missing something all these years.)

Music, sound effects, and animation are all great, and everything's optimized for speed. The later console ports (SNES and Genesis) add a bunch of frippery that slows it down. Never did play the N64 one,

Another fun thing about the NES one: The auctioneer banging the gavel on the floor :wtc:

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial

mabels big day posted:

I thought this was a thread about board games based on video games. Anyone remember this fuckin thing?

Sweet fuckin childhood memories right there. Actually did a pretty good job being like a board game version of R/B.

Anyone ever play that old online version of Cosmic Encounter? Kid me had fun with that too.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
As I recall, Risk on the original Playstation was pretty good. An actual board would be much more convenient with multiple people, but for two or three kids around a TV it was fine. It saved you the rules arguments about dice rolls.

It had a secondary mode that played pretty much like the Total War in world view. I think you could build and conquer bastions or something, and there would be riots that lead to places falling and becoming factionless.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 16, 2014

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There's an iOS version of Galaxy Trucker, the original game is excellent and I've only heard good things about the port.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

neverwinter nights 2: mask of the betrayer, op

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

gently caress yes this game owned. my friends and i would always play this. there was even a sequel to this that my friend had that had more pokemon, i think up to 3rd gen? i don't know if there were any others

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Talisman is really sweet. If you have one friend who bought all the DLC, you can just make him host every day and you'll get to play with his toys.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
iOS and Android have a bunch of board game adaptations- tablets are pretty good for it, apparently. I really like Small World, which does asynchronous multiplayer. For iOS, here's a site that's entirely reviews of iOS boardgames.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

When I was younger I played the video game version of the game of LIFE. It was kinda weird and featured every character in constant super big head mode. It was alright from what I remember.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's one or two digital versions of Chess that more or less approximate the rules.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Gestalt Intellect posted:

There's one or two digital versions of Chess that more or less approximate the rules.

BATTLE CHESS :c00lbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftgNAJBynY&t=432s

Groly
Nov 4, 2009
Sid Meier was inspired by a board game called Civilization to create a video game called Civilization. Other parties then turned the video game into two separate board games.

The original board game even got an expansion (called Advanced Civilization) that received a video game version of its own.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Groly posted:

Sid Meier was inspired by a board game called Civilization to create a video game called Civilization. Other parties then turned the video game into two separate board games.

The original board game even got an expansion (called Advanced Civilization) that received a video game version of its own.
man, this is some street fighter: the movie: the game poo poo

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

gently caress yes. This is my second choice.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Nueroshima Hex on iOS and Android is one of the few games where it makes the real thing obsolete. It handles all the timings of the game perfectly which is a huge deal, and it's fun as hell to boot. Highly recommended

Not sure if it really counts but Pinball Arcade on every platform with an internet connection emulates real pinball tables, and some of the really great ones too. It's superior to real pinball tables by actually existing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Countblanc posted:

I hate monopoly and I know how to play it correctly. This is because monopoly is a bad game literally designed to be bad.
This is the absolute truth. How Monopoly ever became so popular or why people continue to play it when so many better games exist is one of the great mysteries of the age.

Or the more recent Battle Vs Chess.

• Locked thread