Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

quote:

There are often full time jobs at night at a hotel or gas station which will often pay more for overnight as well.

It's minimum wage but it's dead easy and alot of them have wifi as well.

In a gas station that's not that busy you can basically do whatever you want all night.

I know cause I hang out most nights with a guy who works graveyard at a gas station and he does jack poo poo all night.

http://np.reddit.com/r/vandwellers/

there are some fuckin preemo van tips here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

this redditor has a brand new kitchen:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Do they have tips on how to pick a good river to live down by?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
it better be down by the river!

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
park near restaurants that have free wifi

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Everything I ever needed to know about living in a van, I learned from Kenny Vs. Spenny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmG6N5nYpUg

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

[ask]im an old hand at living under bridges

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmQ8VoiPcIQ

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
It's like camping, but all the time

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

quote:

Here is the van i just got! i am now at the first steps to freedom.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

1/5 doesn't look like it's down by the river

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
I would end up living in perpetual fear of being raped instead.

It would be like being a woman.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

turns out living in a van in the woods isnt just for deranged hermits and rowdy roddy piper anymore

http://imgur.com/a/hJvVQ

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

is the guy who lives in a van like a Rockefeller to regular hobos who sleep behind a dumpster?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

this is a p sweet van op. im impressed

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

quote:

I'm really stuck on the idea of vandwelling, but there's a couple aspects I haven't quite worked out...

The big one is regarding my motorcycle. One of the big attractions to vandwelling for me is that it would allow me to travel with my dog, but I really don't want to give up motorcycling. I'd love to be able to bring one of my bikes with me, but I don't want a trailer for several reasons. The bike would need about 3x8ft of space which is where my trouble comes on. That's a lot of space to potentially give up. I'm fond of "dispersed" camping, and hate the idea of being a burden on folks, so my van is going to need to have a kitchen and toilet. I can go without a shower, as I can always shower at truck stops/YMCA/community pools/etc.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some van builds that might give me inspiration on how to fit a kitchen, toilet, and bed while giving up 3x8ft of floor space? I'm thinking a bunk that runs down the length of the van, which can be folded up to allow me to load/unload the bike?

The next hurdle is internet access. I'm a software developer (and this is how I'd be earning a living while traveling) so I need reliable internet. I can stop streaming music/video for entertainment, but I'll need Skype and occasionally I'll need to download large files for work. I'm thinking a combination of WiFi antenna and 4G hotspot would work. Can anyone comment on this?

Input is greatly appreciated. My lease is up in a couple months and I'm planning on moving into a studio apartment to save money and get acclimated to smaller living spaces. In the last 4 years I went from a 650 sq ft house to 1600 sq ft and am currently living in about 1200sqft with a big yard. Aside from my dog and my tools, I think a van is the perfect size for me!

this guy wants to move into a van with his dog, but wants to keep at least one of his motorcycles

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

quote:

I can always shower at truck stops/YMCA/community pools/etc

Ugh

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

quote:

Just some quick stuff if you dont want to read my "Story". Im currently only 17, and ive always been told with out college you wont make it far. I know for a fact that is a lie, but I've really been torn between going to college, and living in a van.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

Fandyien posted:

this guy wants to move into a van with his dog, but wants to keep at least one of his motorcycles

sounds like he needs . . . a house . . .

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Pookum posted:

sounds like he needs . . . a house . . .

don't vanshame

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I want to be the guy that lives in a van but I have too many responsibilities

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

this would be a cool thing to do for a summer in college while traveling the country smoking weed but not so much to just park it in the woods and live there as a lifestyle choice

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

mookface posted:

I want to be the guy that lives in a van but I have too many responsibilities

just wait a few years. then you can post from a van like gnarly

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Did someone make a joke about the van being down by the river yet?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

just wait a few years. then you can post from a van like gnarly

you wish you had this pimp ride

Wu-Tang dragons painted on the side

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

life after vandwelling:

quote:

Since then I've had multiple forms of dwelling (apt, van, rent a room in a house, stay with family, etc). Including living in my office for a year without anyone else knowing.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Demonachizer posted:

Did someone make a joke about the van being down by the river yet?

I cannot be the only one seeing this backwards.

Can I?

naem
May 29, 2011

The park near me in SF had free (no permit sticker) parking and it was camper van heaven.

Camper van heaven involves ill conceived hippie spraypaint murals to pretend you aren't homeless. Also it involved a lot of bush pooping, multiple dogs, and stealing the battery out of my jeep several times.

When they put up a sign saying "no vehicles X feet tall overnight" they all packed up and moved on except for the corpse that had been left in the poop bushes for months

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
how the gently caress do you live in your place of work for 1 year without anyone noticing.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
If you leave your stuff outside the van, it's okay as long as the police aren't sure who owns the land. Even if it looks like someone abandoned a van and garbage down by the river. http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/County-Van-down-by-the-river-tethered-to-stump-285300431.html

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Pookum posted:

how the gently caress do you live in your place of work for 1 year without anyone noticing.

yea i dont believe that for a second

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
gnarlyhotep is legitimately my spirit guide. He's an apache mystic who lives in a van and can turn into a wolf

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

mookface posted:

gnarlyhotep is legitimately my spirit guide. He's an apache mystic who lives in a van and can turn into a wolf

learn to keep a secret brother, we dont want his rates to go up

naem
May 29, 2011

Pookum posted:

A guys in art school slept in a crawl space under the roof and they let him

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
haha naem went to art school

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

mookface posted:

haha naem went to art school

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

quote:

I am female which is why I asked for female I guess male would be ok but there would definately be a considerable lets get to know each other better would most likely take more time obvious reasons. I thought if there was someone else out there we could combine resources and know how get one van together and work together to get ther other person set up and going as well combining efforts definately go faster that going it alone? what are all you alls thoughts on this?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

naem posted:

The park near me in SF had free (no permit sticker) parking and it was camper van heaven.

Camper van heaven involves ill conceived hippie spraypaint murals to pretend you aren't homeless. Also it involved a lot of bush pooping, multiple dogs, and stealing the battery out of my jeep several times.

When they put up a sign saying "no vehicles X feet tall overnight" they all packed up and moved on except for the corpse that had been left in the poop bushes for months

finally a way to afford housing in SF.

also:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

TEAYCHES posted:

learn to keep a secret brother, we dont want his rates to go up

brother moose speaks with large mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

it would be cool to live in a big van imo i respect these ppl and what they do as long as they park it next to a laundromat cause drat that poo poo would get gross

• Locked thread