Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

too bad bobsgame gave up on the hack van

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

mookface posted:

haha naem went to art school

Bitch I hav a master digree

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
Why not go a step further and live in an RV? Is it the gas prices?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

maester naem

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

TEAYCHES posted:

maester naem

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

naem posted:

Bitch I hav a master digree

master bater

naem
May 29, 2011

I'll have you know that crawl space was quite comfortable

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It'd be cool to do this, a lot of them seem to have cool solar and wind power setups and that seems like a neat project to undertake.

On the other hand you have to explain to people that you live in a van.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
maintaining a personal economy is important for vanliving: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jEuP-Yzuj8

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

Fandyien posted:

I am female which is why I asked for female I guess male would be ok but there would definately be a considerable lets get to know each other better would most likely take more time obvious reasons. I thought if there was someone else out there we could combine resources and know how get one van together and work together to get ther other person set up and going as well combining efforts definately go faster that going it alone? what are all you alls thoughts on this?

Good God looks like someone failed middle school english

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pookum posted:

was it you?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Freedomn

The n is for vaN.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Real story: when I was 8 I traveled across the USA from California to Maine and along the way I got food poisoning and thus was confined to the bed of the Econoline customized van that was part of our 4 vehicle caravan. My Uncle's(age 27) van. Shag carpet from floor to ceiling, leather bucket swivel seats, mini fridge, little sink and counter, full queen bed in the back with funky lighting... yeah, a 70's van. While in the heat of a burning fever I heard the song "Fame" over the van wide speaker setup (awesome), and this particular line - "I'm gonna live forever, I'm gonna learn how to fly *HIGH!" - made me think about mortality for the first time. That my grandparents would die, that my uncles and aunts, my parents, my siblings, myself, would die. Everyone and everything will die.

This realization of death and mortality came down upon me like a literal wall of bricks - crushing. I was never the same person after this event, and I shudder to reflect on how influential this one fever dream has been. And it happened in the sweetest 70's van you can imagine.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

No i Passed My parents van-schooled me because they know how bad the public education system can be

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Pookum posted:

listen garbage dick we gives gently caress all for that

bring the ruckus or beour bitch

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pookum posted:

No i Passed My parents van-schooled me because they know how bad the public education system can be

oh

congrats then

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pookum posted:

There's always something off about vanschooled kids. You'll meet someone and you'll be all drat, there's something a little off about that guy and then you find out they were vanschooled and it all becomes clear. If you're both adopted and vanschooled you're pretty much a write off

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

mookface posted:

I want to be the guy that lives in a van but I have too many responsibilities

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
This guy did a really great job building a super creepy stealth hobo van and it would be really impressive if the thing he was doing such a good job at wasn't living in a van

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd4QGsFeYsA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eIRRyjfCAY

i mean if you always wanted to live in a prop space capsule while jacking off and yelling into a CB radio and steaming hot dogs i guess this is the way to do it

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
connect a pipe from your exhaust back into the van, it'll help you sleep at night.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

enziarro posted:

This guy did a really great job building a super creepy stealth hobo van and it would be really impressive if the thing he was doing such a good job at wasn't living in a van

i mean if you always wanted to live in a prop space capsule while jacking off and yelling into a CB radio and steaming hot dogs i guess this is the way to do it

i noticed that he's a veteran. nice to know my tax dollars are paying his pension and health insurance for the rest of his life so he can gently caress off and do nothing in the way of employment for the next 30 years, putzing around in his fart van.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The thing about van is it really rains a lot so you're gonna wanna bring an umbrella and raincoat if you can.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

gggiiimmmppp posted:

this would be a cool thing to do for a summer in college while traveling the country smoking weed but not so much to just park it in the woods and live there as a lifestyle choice

It'd have to be a really cool van. Like 10x better than Mr T's van on the A-Team.

Kidsolo
Dec 4, 2006

Give the dog a bone

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I cannot be the only one seeing this backwards.

Can I?

reboot computer, should fix it

naem
May 29, 2011

enziarro posted:

The autist mobile

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
As an adult student with average grades, lousy credit, and no family support, it seems like I can either afford tuition or to pay my rent. I've been thinking about sleeping in a van on campus so I can finish school. I can shower at the gym, poop in the 24-hour library, charge my laptop during class, and spend all my free time studying in the union. I wouldn't even need an elaborate setup, just blacked out windows and room for a futon mattress. This thread has shown me resources are out there and has been really encouraging. When my frozen body is found in the back of a van next winter it will be thanks to this thread.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mookface posted:

gnarlyhotep is legitimately my spirit guide. He's an apache mystic who lives in a van and can turn into a wolf

werent u supposed to be updating your thread about your hosed up motel life aka canadian suttree

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
i know a girl who works in a cafe and lives in a van, shes broke as gently caress but she always has money for food and books since she doesnt pay rent and frankly shes really happy and content and im jealous as gently caress

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

i noticed that he's a veteran. nice to know my tax dollars are paying his pension and health insurance for the rest of his life so he can gently caress off and do nothing in the way of employment for the next 30 years, putzing around in his fart van.

er didnt you see the whole video? he has a ventilation system.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

The Twinkie Czar posted:

As an adult student with average grades, lousy credit, and no family support, it seems like I can either afford tuition or to pay my rent. I've been thinking about sleeping in a van on campus so I can finish school. I can shower at the gym, poop in the 24-hour library, charge my laptop during class, and spend all my free time studying in the union. I wouldn't even need an elaborate setup, just blacked out windows and room for a futon mattress. This thread has shown me resources are out there and has been really encouraging. When my frozen body is found in the back of a van next winter it will be thanks to this thread.
Seems like it would be really easy way to save money during school. Propane stove, warm sleeping bag, some led lights and ventilation to avoid condensation and you`d be set. If IŽd live somewhere with ridiculous rents, IŽd probably do something similar.
You can make them pretty nice.

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 16, 2014

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Best thing about this is you can also put a disco ball in the back and cruise around campus picking up chicks. It's like your own real life bang bus.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Azur posted:

Seems like it would be really easy way to save money during school. Propane stove, warm sleeping bag, some led lights and ventilation to avoid condensation and you`d be set. If IŽd live somewhere with ridiculous rents, IŽd probably do something similar.
You can make them pretty nice.

I don't get why the guy in the article is cooking in his van. He mentions cooking as a backcountry camper but why make your van smell like spaghetti and propane when there are microwaves all over campus? And he probably has access to some grad student lounge with a refrigerator. I would use my university's student union which has a commuter kitchen with refrigerators to store your lunch.
I don't want a fancy setup, just plenty of room to stretch out to sleep and not feel claustrophobic when studying at night. I don't want to spend any extra money and a boring van would encourage me to get out and spend time on campus. I bet I would really get into all the events that happen on campus if I never left and didn't have a dorm room to retreat to.
After I freeze to death I wonder how many weeks I'll be at the impound lot before my body is found.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

there are showers at community pools you dingbat

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

The Twinkie Czar posted:

I don't get why the guy in the article is cooking in his van. He mentions cooking as a backcountry camper but why make your van smell like spaghetti and propane when there are microwaves all over campus? And he probably has access to some grad student lounge with a refrigerator. I would use my university's student union which has a commuter kitchen with refrigerators to store your lunch.
I don't want a fancy setup, just plenty of room to stretch out to sleep and not feel claustrophobic when studying at night. I don't want to spend any extra money and a boring van would encourage me to get out and spend time on campus. I bet I would really get into all the events that happen on campus if I never left and didn't have a dorm room to retreat to.
After I freeze to death I wonder how many weeks I'll be at the impound lot before my body is found.

Months probably. Frozen meat will doesn't decompose. If your family can get to you before springtime, they can even bury you in a single lump.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Soundtrack for living in a van

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vumt6W9UyE

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Frostwerks posted:

werent u supposed to be updating your thread about your hosed up motel life aka canadian suttree

I could post more in there if there's any interest

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mookface posted:

I could post more in there if there's any interest

in the time it took you to reply i lost all interest. dont bother

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Frostwerks posted:

in the time it took you to reply i lost all interest. dont bother

Ok man anything for you. Anything else I can help (or can't help) you with while I'm here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I always wanted a nice 4x4 van that I could put my dirt bikes in the back of. They are expensive as hell though.

• Locked thread