Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I'm a self taught computer programmer man

I have to take some aptitude tests to get a job

what kind of stuff is on those things?

please tell me so I can study. thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

pity bump

pram
Jun 10, 2001

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

yeah, you should have pity, i currently make minimum wage and need this loving job tyvm

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

same

pram
Jun 10, 2001
check ur fuckin privilege

Blinkz0rz posted:

we're interviewing for a junior position and i swear the second i see a woman interview here and she has any skills i'll hire her in a second just so we stop having to interview young, white men between the ages of 22 and 27

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lots of dumbass questions like....there are 4 cities each connected by a road (intentionally vague), there is a lightning strike that causes a tree to fall and block the road between two of the cities blah lah blah

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

are you seriously selling the farm and becoming a sower of software

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Valeyard posted:

lots of dumbass questions like....there are 4 cities each connected by a road (intentionally vague), there is a lightning strike that causes a tree to fall and block the road between two of the cities blah lah blah

that's easy, use the singleton pattern. next!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
one of the grad schemse i applied to had questions that were purely based on probability scenarios which was terrible

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

PleasureKevin posted:

are you seriously selling the farm and becoming a sower of software

it's a family farm I am but another brick in the farm wall

the only programming language I know is some HTML :smugmrgw:

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

common interviewing questions for c# / java houses that dont actually tell the employer if someone will be any good are
  • what are the 4 basic principles of oo? can you explain them
  • whats an interface? whats an abstraction? what's the difference and why would you use one over the other
  • whats pass by reference vs pass by value
  • whats static and non-static
  • whats a stack, whats a queue
  • whats recursion? (maybe they'll have a small sample, and you'll need to walk through it mentally to answer some question)
  • write a fizzbuzz program
  • whats unit testing? whats constitutes a unit in unit testing? whats tdd? do you follow it?
  • what's mocking (in followup to unit testing)? what mocking library have you used?
  • how do you handle exceptions?
  • maybe some bullshit *brain quiz* goes here about how many quarters tall is the empire state building, why are manhole covers round, if you have 8 balls and a scale, but 1 weighs differently, how do you find which one it is, etc etc
  • we have some sql tables that look like *this*, write a select statement that does <this> (know differences between joins)
  • besides all that, you may actually be given some type of problem and be asked to code a solution, these usually don't require anything fancy, but if you're just beginning, just make sure you're comfortable using for and foreach. they're usually not technically complex, but do require some problem solving to break it down into its composite parts

there's like a bajillion other things they could ask you, but these are the ones that come to mind as more common (not necessarily more beneficial to either party)

good employers will ask questions like, what is something that you wrote? can we see it? (and then you talk about it, and they silently judge you on whether you write obtuse code or not)

Clockwerk fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 16, 2014

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

the only programming language I know is some HTML :smugmrgw:

coutns.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Clockwerk posted:

common interviewing questions for c# / java houses that dont actually tell the employer if someone will be any good are
  • what are the 4 basic principles of oo? can you explain them
  • whats an interface? whats an abstraction? what's the difference and why would you use one over the other
  • whats pass by reference vs pass by value
  • whats static and non-static
  • whats a stack, whats a queue
  • whats recursion? (maybe they'll have a small sample, and you'll need to walk through it mentally to answer some question)
  • write a fizzbuzz program
  • whats unit testing? whats constitutes a unit in unit testing? whats tdd? do you follow it?
  • what's mocking (in followup to unit testing)? what mocking library have you used?
  • how do you handle exceptions?
  • maybe some bullshit *brain quiz* goes here about how many quarters tall is the empire state building, why are manhole covers round, if you have 8 balls and a scale, but 1 weighs differently, how do you find which one it is, etc etc
  • we have some sql tables that look like *this*, write a select statement that does <this> (know differences between joins)
  • besides all that, you may actually be given some type of problem and be asked to code a solution, these usually don't require anything fancy, but if you're just beginning, just make sure you're comfortable using for and foreach. they're usually not technically complex, but do require some problem solving to break it down into its composite parts

there's like a bajillion other things they could ask you, but these are the ones that come to mind as more common (not necessarily more beneficial to either party)

good employers will ask questions like, what is something that you wrote? can we see it? (and then you talk about it, and they silently judge you on whether you write obtuse code or not)

holy moleu

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

thanks clockwerk :)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
fizz

buzz?

hth

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
an aptitude test?

well there's apt-get, apt-cache and ... uhhh ... I guess apt-remove too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

things like "reverse a stack" and "what's an efficient way to sort a stream of integers" and things like that there

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

rotor posted:

an aptitude test?

well there's apt-get, apt-cache and ... uhhh ... I guess apt-remove too

what about the simple answer, huh? that the question had all along? that aptitude itself the ncurses apt, also is purposeful (if not something i ever use ccuz lol if you ever use aptitude when not super stoned out of your gourd just thumbing thru things)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

be sure to ask if the interviewer has stairs in his house for the shortcut to riches!!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

rotor posted:

be sure to ask if the interviewer has stairs in his house for the shortcut to riches!!

no don't!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

rotor posted:

"what's an efficient way to sort a stream of integers" and things like that there

would "not the bubble kind" be correct?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes thats one ive been asked. how do you sort a stream of numbers into groups. like all the 10-19 numbers into one group etc

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

yes thats one ive been asked. how do you sort a stream of numbers into groups. like all the 10-19 numbers into one group etc

regular expressions and hard liquor

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

would "not the bubble kind" be correct?

man you can't do a bubba sort on no stream, get with the program son

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

get yo head in the game

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sniep posted:

regular expressions and hard liquor

i dont think regex or switch/case are acceptable

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

i dont think regex or switch/case are acceptable

gently caress you, i aint working miracles here, just sorting short data sets and giving you what you NEED

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sniep posted:

gently caress you, i aint working miracles here, just sorting short data sets and giving you what you NEED

GET THIS MAN A DESK

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sniep posted:

what you need, when you need it

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
my boss always asks "whats the fastest way to sort a billion unsigned chars" and nobody does very well.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

jesus gently caress i have no chance of getting a job

can't they just look at my one wordpress plugin and trust that i'll google poo poo as needed

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

they will say that it has been a pleasure Kevin

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

holy moleu

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pleasure kevin as i have found to my cost offers no warranty on pleasure

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I think I've posted this before but my brother was going for a security government level computer tech investigating job and the recruiter asked him:

"what travels through this" and pointed at some cat6 cable. he said data, including telephony / voice but the correct answer was "ethernet' apparently and he was politely asked to leave the recruitment process then he to
d me what happened and I lol'd at him

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I think I've posted this before but my brother was going for a security government level computer tech investigating job and the recruiter asked him:

"what travels through this" and pointed at some cat6 cable. he said data, including telephony / voice but the correct answer was "ethernet' apparently and he was politely asked to leave the recruitment process then he to
d me what happened and I lol'd at him

wtf

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its electricity anyway

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ethernet!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009