Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

push cena harder, i'm sure that's the problem

Malt posted:

Brock Lesner is a special attraction.

To be fair, he wasn't really advertised. The only thing advertised for this show was Chris Jericho and the fact that it was a post-PPV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Swan Curry posted:

When does football season end? Are the losses in viewers around what they'd expect to lose now, or are they losing more than they usually would?

They are about what you'd expect but this is a bit lower than usual, especially a show with the return of Chris Jericho, Brock Lesnar, and Roman Reigns plus John Cena vs either the #1 or 2 heel in the main event. That's why it's bad.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I hope ratings get low enough that Vince loses his mind again and does something crazy. That's my favourite.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
jack swagger and lana have an illicit affair, lana gets pregnant with a real american baby, rusev is told he'll be the godfather and turns face. John Cena

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Daniel Bryan posted:

They are about what you'd expect but this is a bit lower than usual, especially a show with the return of Chris Jericho, Brock Lesnar, and Roman Reigns plus John Cena vs either the #1 or 2 heel in the main event. That's why it's bad.

Not to make excuses, but even a terrible Bears team is still a national draw.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah, Dunn is the director for all their shows because his dad saved a bunch of tapes from a burning car so Vince gave him a job for life.

real shame they don't upload all those old tapes to the Network otherwise his continued employment might be justified

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Is there a card line up for tuesday night smackdown?

West007
Apr 21, 2013

I just finished watching NXT (R)evolution, how anyone thought that TLC could outperform it is beyond me. gently caress TLC, gently caress RAW, stick to NXT.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax
I find it infinitely hilarious that New Day's logo on the Titan-Tron looks like a Command & Conquer faction icon. It even spins like one too.

West007 posted:

stick to NXT.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

oatgan posted:

real shame they don't upload all those old tapes to the Network otherwise his continued employment might be justified
I wonder just how much money are they saving from not putting those tapes on the network?

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*

West007 posted:

I just finished watching NXT (R)evolution, how anyone thought that TLC could outperform it is beyond me. gently caress TLC, gently caress RAW, stick to NXT.

I've been doing just NXT and the PPV's for a while now, it's working out real good. Just thinking about sitting through Raw is quite stressful...

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

achillesforever6 posted:

I wonder just how much money are they saving from not putting those tapes on the network?

I wonder what's even on the tapes. Like did Daddy Dunn risk his life for a bunch of super boring 70s house shows?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So they push Rusev right before Russia invades the Ukraine, and put him up against Ryback right as the ruble collapses?

Does... does Vince control all international politics?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The size of the writing team is not the problem. Well, it is, but it's not the root of the problem. The problem is how the writers are implemented.

First off, Vince hates the writers. With a passion. They're a bunch of lazy MILLENIALS that aren't real men/women. As such he often bullies them, belittles them and works them like dogs, with long meetings that last all day without breaks or meals, while the favoured lot (McMahons, Hayes, Dunn etc) all get their PA's to get them food. These are the stories where you get the "Vince eats nothing but steak wraps covered in ketchup" stories. And it's done on purpose.

Second, Vince likes to pit the writers against each other. He loves it when they attack each other. All fighting for his attention. He creates an atmosphere that is toxic to the creative process. Instead of building on ideas and improving them they're all tearing ideas to shreds and taking anything good out of it. And then Vince takes the crap that's left and rewrites it anyway.

And this happens nearly every day. They get days off, but those days off are taken away because Vince is a workaholic and gets bored in his days off. Days turn into weeks, into months, into years, until people are overjoyed to be fired. Their health improves, their relationships repair, they lose weight. Often the attitude is to keep your head down, make your money and get out. Doesn't exactly aid the creative process.

So yeah, the problem isn't the writers. Often when the writers are left alone on products Vince doesn't care about you get stuff like NXT.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah, Dunn is the director for all their shows because his dad saved a bunch of tapes from a burning car so Vince gave him a job for life.

So does Dunn even have any training in broadcast or communications, anything that might make giving him a lifetime job a good idea? Because otherwise the second Vince is gone he's gonna be the first one up against the wall.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

RZApublican posted:

So does Dunn even have any training in broadcast or communications, anything that might make giving him a lifetime job a good idea? Because otherwise the second Vince is gone he's gonna be the first one up against the wall.

That is what Alex Greenfield (head Smackdown writer from 2005-2007) says:

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2014/7/1/5857390/hi-my-name-is-kevin-dunn#243156405

On JR's podcast, he said he had a pitch to Vince to completely overhaul the visuals and production of Smackdown by hiring a director from an NBA team and arranging the set differently from the Raw set. Dunn heard that and spiked the entire thing.

http://www.podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=619&pid=455845

Though it should be noted that Greenfield admits he was a pain in the rear end to work with and Dunn probably had something to do with his flame out at the end.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

RZApublican posted:

His rear end is so gone when HHH takes over.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

projecthalaxy posted:

I wonder what's even on the tapes. Like did Daddy Dunn risk his life for a bunch of super boring 70s house shows?

It was tapes that were to be sent to TV for local markets, pretty much the core of the business in the 70s.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

achillesforever6 posted:

I think Meltzer once said that it's actually pretty expensive to have some of the old stuff converted, so if they don't think there's a big enough audience they aren't going to bother.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I'm surprised that more gossip doesn't come from the writers considering how weird the business is, how many writers WWE goes through, and how little they matter to the company individually. Guess it's a combination of non-disclosure and some of them (I guess) already being sources for Meltzer/newz

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Fat Lowtax posted:

I'm surprised that more gossip doesn't come from the writers considering how weird the business is, how many writers WWE goes through, and how little they matter to the company individually. Guess it's a combination of non-disclosure and some of them (I guess) already being sources for Meltzer/newz

They had a podcast but it quickly devolved from weird Vince stories into twitter talk.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Just a reminder that SMACKDOWN IS LIVE AT 8PM EST!!!

Roman Reigns and Bray vs Ambrose is all that was announced I think.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fat Lowtax posted:

These reasons and it's also a great way to be blackballed from future writing positions. You don't hear a whole lot about writers rooms in the entertainment industry for just this reason.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Should someone start the GDT now and include Main Event?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Should someone start the GDT now and include Main Event?
Yeah Cesaro and Kidd vs the New Day should be good

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Thread here!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688465

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Act now and get a personalized video message from PN News for only $25!

http://www.celebvm.com/pnnews

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Honestly, I'm wondering why the WWE bothers with writers at all. Just fire them all and let Vince and his cronies and Dunn do what they want.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Cornwind Evil posted:

Honestly, I'm wondering why the WWE bothers with writers at all. Just fire them all and let Vince and his cronies and Dunn do what they want.

Then who would Vince bully and deflect criticism onto?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Gonzo McFee posted:

If we're lucky, Dunn.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I thought PN News was dead.

Anyway i messed up the thread title as its 4 BACK TO BACK WWE events.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
They are running the most absurd commercial on Hulu Plus. This guy with a lisp is talking about how he was thinking about quitting his job so he could watch Raw before discovering that it was on Hulu Plus. He rambles on about all the WWE content gets to watches while they show him getting a WWE tattoo. And it ends with "Don't get it twisted. I'm not a wrestling fan. I'm a WWE fan. Absolutely."

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm reminded of that Family Guy episode where it's revealed Meg functions as the lightning rod for her family's negativity because otherwise the family would tear each other to shreds due to their immensely deep flaws (comedy aside).

I have to wonder what would happen if that was removed from Vince and co.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Cornwind Evil posted:

I'm reminded of that Family Guy episode where it's revealed Meg functions as the lightning rod for her family's negativity because otherwise the family would tear each other to shreds due to their immensely deep flaws (comedy aside).

I have to wonder what would happen if that was removed from Vince and co.

Patterson and Brisco would be back on tv wearing dresses within a matter of hours.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If you aren't watching Smackdown, you missed Eric Rowan do a top rope splash

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sigma posted:

If you aren't watching Smackdown, you missed Eric Rowan do a top rope splash

If you are watching Smackdown you need to take a long, hard look at what you're doing with your life.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

TheJoker138 posted:

If you are watching Smackdown you need to take a long, hard look at what you're doing with your life.

I'm also doing a simultaneous watching of Nitro and an LP of Sonic 06.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

Smackdown is usually better and way less painful than Raw :colbert:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
If you're watching Smackdown you know that The Bunny wasn't written off TV after all

gently caress yeah!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Smackdown wasn't bad at all actually.

• Locked thread