Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
i miss the old gun thread and its hilariously delusional posters whose idea of "compromise" is "deregulate suppressors and automatic weapons and in exchange we get free non-mandatory secure gun storage"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

goku im piss posted:

can't wait for the Jennings/Jimenez Lawgiver

Lorcin SMARTGUN 2000!

Fool and the World
Dec 8, 2010

goku im piss posted:

can't wait for the Jennings/Jimenez handtaker

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Alexzandvar posted:

But in the future when the technology behind them is more advanced what will be the excuse for not using them? I would much other own a gun only I can use rather than not so someone can't kill me with my own gun.

Because this is an idiotic comic-book fantasy on the level of judge dredd's gun.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Pauline Kael posted:

Ha yeah really, the grabbers are obviously the bright ones in this fight.

all evidence indicates that gun otaku are belligerent morons

Fool and the World
Dec 8, 2010
You know cams...

No one cares :monocle:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk if anyone has every used a biometric fingerprint scanner in here or not but that poo poo is not something I want to be relying on when I need to use a gun

I had one on a laptop and it was a cool gimmick but didn't work perfectly every time. My work has a fingerprint scanner I need to use to clock in and out and again, not perfect every time. Sometimes it takes 2-4 tries for it to register. That is something I really don't need in a life or death situation.

Maybe in a couple decades but the tech just isn't there yet.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
guns are better than kids, imo

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Alexzandvar posted:

What is the explanation for the NRA being against Smart Guns?

why is a toddler opposed to playtime being over

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
what is it with sjws and image spamming, does it break their addled little brains to read stuff they disagree with

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Triple A posted:

I would legit dig a license system here over the permit paper and club BS we usually have to deal with as long as it's as comprehensive/painless to get as the finnish driver's license

Laws around pistols vary by state, some of them suck rear end (NY, CA) some are much easier (VT). It's mostly the blue states that like to deny constitutional rights. Even in NYS though, once you have the permit, you can buy pretty much anything you like, though you do have to have each pistol added to the permit, which requires a visit to the County Clerk, usually has to be scheduled out a few days or weeks. I'm lucky in that I live in a fairly red upstate county where the Clerk and the County Judge are gun guys and make it as easy as they can within the constraints put on them by the pricks downstate that make the rules.

tl;dr, 'progressive' states arent

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

sexy young infidel posted:

what is it with sjws and image spamming, does it break their addled little brains to read stuff they disagree with

the dumb and passionate express themselves via facebook macros

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Moridin920 posted:

idk if anyone has every used a biometric fingerprint scanner in here or not but that poo poo is not something I want to be relying on when I need to use a gun

I had one on a laptop and it was a cool gimmick but didn't work perfectly every time. My work has a fingerprint scanner I need to use to clock in and out and again, not perfect every time. Sometimes it takes 2-4 tries for it to register. That is something I really don't need in a life or death situation.

Maybe in a couple decades but the tech just isn't there yet.

no currently existing smartguns use fingerprint scanners

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Pauline Kael posted:

Laws around pistols vary by state, some of them suck rear end (NY, CA) some are much easier (VT). It's mostly the blue states that like to deny constitutional rights. Even in NYS though, once you have the permit, you can buy pretty much anything you like, though you do have to have each pistol added to the permit, which requires a visit to the County Clerk, usually has to be scheduled out a few days or weeks. I'm lucky in that I live in a fairly red upstate county where the Clerk and the County Judge are gun guys and make it as easy as they can within the constraints put on them by the pricks downstate that make the rules.

removal of guns from society is progress

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Pauline Kael posted:

I am pretty familliar with some of the BS Cali and NY give you guys based on what others have told me

it's actually harder to get a handgun in NYC than in most european countries

sexy young infidel posted:

they are not used to disagreement

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
you know what's crazy to me is that back in like 1980 there were only maybe a dozen shall issue states but now practically every state has shall issue concealed carry and liberalized gun laws and it seems like the gun control thing just isn't happening guys sorry maybe next century

it sucks tho rite because murders are at a record high as a result of these crazy liberalized gun laws, it's practically a death wasteland out there

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

fanged wang posted:

guns are better than kids, imo

feed your children to your gun

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
help help i got shot twice just trying to post in this thread... by that guy who was mad at chik-fil-a

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Tezzor posted:

Right they use those stupid watches. Because, there's no way that if someone intended to steal your pistol that they would be able to steal your pistol and your making GBS threads digital watch that you would never ever wear for any other reason, and that you keep in the container with the pistol itself. Also, like any other sort of IT security measure, it would take hackers about 15 seconds to figure out how to work around the watch nonsense and get an app out there for commandeering smart guns. There was a time when it seemed like the grabbers actually were trying to increase safety amongst law abiding gun users, but for at least the last 20 years it's been abundantly clear that this is just culture war stuff and the left wont accept anything less than a full repeal of the 2nd amendment.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

"when i need to use a gun"

all these "bad guys" invading my suburbs

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tezzor posted:

well as far as I know biometric recognition, and RFID chip in the gun talking to an implanted RFID chip in the user, or a magnetic trigger that only works when you're wearing the appropriate magnetic ring while firing are the only mechanisms that will prevent a gun being fired by someone who shouldn't be firing it

granted I am not very informed on this subject but it seems to me like between those two things there isn't really a viable method yet

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
did you know more people are getting shot every day in america because of lax gun laws homcides are a skyrocket of blood and carnage if you look at all the facts

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it just seems so rear end backwards to me that instead of figuring out why people are going nuts and going on shooting sprees (lack of help for poor people, lack of mental healthcare resources, lack of good education, etc.) we're just trying to make the guns better

nutty people are going to figure out ways to hurt a lot of others. in China some people with knives managed to stab a bunch of people at a train station before anyone around even realized what was happening. the answer isn't to fix the weapon, the answer is fix the endemic issues in our society.

but that's hard I guess.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

shooting guns is a fun hobby but in no way do i have delusions that bad guys are coming to kill me and i need to protect myself

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Tezzor posted:

removal of guns from society is progress

Oh, it's Tezzor. I didn't notice with your new AV, sorry folks, don't feed the troll. This guy stated in the last big gun control thread in D&D that Alcohol should be outlawed because of its societal cost.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
arguing with gun otaku about smartguns is pointless because their standard isn't "on the whole, will the widespread adoption of this technology result in less innocent deaths," their standard is "is there any possible way this technology would be suboptimal for me personally, including in any and all imaginary scenarios that might possibly be conceptualized in the tequila nightmares of a white nationalist mental patient"

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
heck it is more dangerous time to be alive now than ever, due to guns

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Pauline Kael posted:

Right they use those stupid watches. Because, there's no way that if someone intended to steal your pistol that they would be able to steal your pistol and your making GBS threads digital watch that you would never ever wear for any other reason, and that you keep in the container with the pistol itself. Also, like any other sort of IT security measure, it would take hackers about 15 seconds to figure out how to work around the watch nonsense and get an app out there for commandeering smart guns. There was a time when it seemed like the grabbers actually were trying to increase safety amongst law abiding gun users, but for at least the last 20 years it's been abundantly clear that this is just culture war stuff and the left wont accept anything less than a full repeal of the 2nd amendment.

i carry a gun on my person for no apparent reason, but wearing a watch? a bridge too far

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Pauline Kael posted:

Oh, it's Tezzor. I didn't notice with your new AV, sorry folks, don't feed the troll. This guy stated in the last big gun control thread in D&D that Alcohol should be outlawed because of its societal cost.

that is of course a lie

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
bullets are raining from the skies on me right now and i'm catching them right into the chamber of my personal sidearm... what a f*ckin time to be alive

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tezzor posted:

arguing with gun otaku about smartguns is pointless because their standard isn't "on the whole, will the widespread adoption of this technology result in less innocent deaths," their standard is "is there any possible way this technology would be suboptimal for me personally, including in any and all imaginary scenarios that might possibly be conceptualized in the tequila nightmares of a white nationalist mental patient"

We should make murder illegal.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tezzor posted:

nah. I'm not a gun otaku (I don't even have any guns nor do I really want any) but even I can see the problem of relying on software to let a gun fire

can you imagine if a cop's gun malfunctioned and as a result he got killed? all 'gently caress the police' aside that would cause a furor

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
that's what you find when you look at the world is an america in crisis due to more people getting shot at this point in time by far than perhaps was shot 20 or 30 years ago when gun laws were much tighter is all i'm saying can i get an amen

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
smart guns worked in james bond.

and since the world of james bond is a hell of a lot more realistic than the world of the average delusional, borderline mentally ill gun nut in this country, i'll trust james bond's judgment over theirs.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FogHelmut posted:

"when i need to use a gun"

all these "bad guys" invading my suburbs

I used to joke about that but just last weekend in my chill suburban neighborhood I had a guy bust into my house and try to murder my roommate, and he only got off him and waited for the cops to show up cause I rolled up with a shotgun so welp

Just lucky the guy sucked at strangling cause I totally did not have a complete working gun in the house whne he came through the door

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 16, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just really feel like we need to fix issues in society that cause mass shootings instead of trying to fix guns.

thanks for cutting mental healthcare reagan you did us a solid there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Smartguns are the worst red herring. It's meant to look like a compromise, but is just a ban in disguise. It doesn't even deserve discussion. Oh you can have an abortion as long as your physician has admitting privileges at a nearby hospital. Oh you can vote, as long as you provide me with a government issued license. It doesn't fool anyone.

• Locked thread