Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
if you don't have to pay for it. Can't understand why anyone would prefer to work a lovely job over studying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
*smirking* sure buddy

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
i'm doing grad school and also working full time. it's tough but i'm making $ and learning lots of cool stuff :]

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
haha yeah why would people want to make tangible contributions to society over filling their skull with more worthless garbage that does nothing, are they not selfish assholes or something?

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
agreed. master's degree was cool b/c i was basically getting paid to drink and read books. law school is not so cool however. of course, i suppose it's more of a "trade school" than a "grad school"

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
you can't keep putting off real life

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

some people expect to be paid a lot of money to spend years hanging out with horrible people and having to do a lot of work

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, you weren't doing anything with your 20s anyway

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

www.skullmund.com

Gaunab posted:

you can't keep putting off real life
i lived "real life" in America the Corporation for 3 years after college. left a bad taste in my mouth, quite frankly. fortunately, i was blessed with the intellect and work ethic to not have to accept such an objectionable fate. kind of like a guy who is stronger than his rapist, i ripped the dick from my rear end and escaped his clutches :)

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I didn't learn much in grad school but it gave me a piece of paper that bumped my pay up considerably (nearly double). Of course I also have more debt now so I actually makes less somehow.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Greed is eternal posted:

if you don't have to pay for it. Can't understand why anyone would prefer to work a lovely job over studying.

I always find it funny when people go to grad school for something that doesn't pay them off of a grant.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
this is what i thought my first year of grad school too op.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Demonachizer posted:

I always find it funny when people go to grad school for something that doesn't pay them off of a grant.

woah, when you quote something it's backwards too? neat

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
grad school hella owns, i agree. gettin paid to dick around in a lab and play with lasers is pretty much the greatest thing.

plus maybe i can cure cancer or like huntington's disease who knows

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

can't believe a goon in gbs is posting about how great it is not getting a job

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Skinny King Pimp posted:

grad school hella owns, i agree. gettin paid to dick around in a lab and play with lasers is pretty much the greatest thing.

plus maybe i can cure cancer or like huntington's disease who knows

because you're not doing a humanities degree, right op? right??

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Grad school was p much worthless and I say this as a stupid gently caress who wasted a year going after an MA in history then said gently caress that noise and went into IT and doubled my salary within a year so gently caress it I'm middle class now

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

HonorableTB posted:

Grad school was p much worthless and I say this as a stupid gently caress who wasted a year going after an MA in history then said gently caress that noise and went into IT and doubled my salary within a year so gently caress it I'm middle class now

stem wins again

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

www.skullmund.com

dads a mall cop posted:

can't believe a goon in gbs is posting about how great it is not getting a job
uh, grad school is a job. you get paid to teach undergrads and/or do research. the definition of a job is money in exchange for services. loving retard idiot bitch gently caress.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

logical phalluses posted:

this is what i thought my first year of grad school too op.

this guy knows what's up

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

uh, grad school is a job. you get paid to teach undergrads and/or do research. the definition of a job is money in exchange for services. loving retard idiot bitch gently caress.

lol

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

i lived "real life" in America the Corporation for 3 years after college. left a bad taste in my mouth, quite frankly. fortunately, i was blessed with the intellect and work ethic to not have to accept such an objectionable fate. kind of like a guy who is stronger than his rapist, i ripped the dick from my rear end and escaped his clutches :)

You are such a loving goon, we need a new level of classification for you

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

jalopybrown posted:

haha yeah why would people want to make tangible contributions to society over filling their skull with more worthless garbage that does nothing, are they not selfish assholes or something?

tangibly contribute a baconader into your fat face vs. learn the secrets of the universe which will eventually lead to world-changing breakthroughs (e.g. better baconaders for everyone)

hmmmm tough choice

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you know what else owns

drugs

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Grad school is for tard babies

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

I Am A Robot posted:

tangibly contribute a baconader into your fat face vs. learn the secrets of the universe which will eventually lead to world-changing breakthroughs (e.g. better baconaders for everyone)

hmmmm tough choice

lol i actually agree but this reads like a scientologist also hope you aren't studying art because it's baconator not baconader you philistine

naem
May 29, 2011

You know how vulcans in star trek- calm, intelligent, logical, bland nerdy looks on their face- have to return to their home planet once every 7 years to battle for mates in a violent sex orgy?

On earth we call that grad school

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Moridin920 posted:

you know what else owns

drugs
you know what owns even more

grad school and drugs

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

naem posted:

You know how vulcans in star trek- calm, intelligent, logical, bland nerdy looks on their face- have to return to their home planet once every 7 years to battle for mates in a violent sex orgy?

On earth we call that grad school

yeah basically this is what happens at the annual departmental retreat.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Lol if the world scares u so much u stay in school ur whole life. More lol if youre in debt or paying them, slightly less lol but still lol if they are payin you.

I loved school, but I love stackin all this paper more

Just lol all around

Im a year and a half outta college and over six figures suckkkkkk my diiiiicccckkkkk

Cash Rules Everything Around Me, CREAM, get the money, dolla dolla bills yall.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I love loling at my friends as they bitch about academic problems, no one cares about your hermetically sealed bubble world, and your problems are bullshit

Omg becky was late for her test and lab is so frustrating, and my student's are so dumb and this teacher is sooo mean

:saddowns:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Waroduce posted:

Omg becky was late for her test and lab is so frustrating, and my student's are so dumb and this teacher is sooo mean

:saddowns:

wrong thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3198184

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Sorry I am el o el ing at "acadamia" in general

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I wish I completed school. I'd do anything to go back and not waste all that time. If I were prone to being depressed that'd be a real downer. All I have to show are memories of short lived fun times. I had real potential to take advantage of the system and live cushy.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You're a masochist or a moron op

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Uh I mean, knowledge is power! learning is its own reward! the point is to make yourself the best human being you can be, that's why it's called the humanities! hahahahaha!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I think today might be the day I finally break my 14 year cleanstreak and hurl

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Harime Nui posted:

Uh I mean, knowledge is power! learning is its own reward! the point is to make yourself the best human being you can be, that's why it's called the humanities! hahahahaha!

LOL accurate

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i'm still an undergrad and already getting paid to do research :smugdog:

then i'm first in line for a full ride as an GRA, continuing my research, followed by a cushy position at a commercially-noncompeting national laboratory so no stressful corporate crunchtime bullshit

i'm sure you guys have some really cool jobs though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Harime Nui posted:

engineering master race checking in

• Locked thread