Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
for serious though op, what's your degree in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
why does anyone get a liberal arts degree. loving faggots

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

hey baby, lemme buy you a drink. hm? what do i do? heh, well, i am in grad school, naw i am way better than all those chumps with jobs and careers, i'm gonna be so successful someday. no, i do a lot you know, mostly helping out with this project to categorize different types of tyrannasaurus rex fossilized stool samples, cool huh?

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Justin Tyme posted:

hey baby, lemme buy you a drink. hm? what do i do? heh, well, i am in grad school, naw i am way better than all those chumps with jobs and careers, i'm gonna be so successful someday. no, i do a lot you know, mostly helping out with this project to categorize different types of tyrannasaurus rex fossilized stool samples, cool huh?

and, uh, can you spot me? i only get paid $500 a month

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
i got a doctors degree in chriropractic nmedicine im a real doctor a 100% real world medicine doctor not a fake one. real life doctor irl

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008

1gnoirents posted:

I wish I completed school. I'd do anything to go back and not waste all that time. If I were prone to being depressed that'd be a real downer. All I have to show are memories of short lived fun times. I had real potential to take advantage of the system and live cushy.

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. -- Bertrand Russell

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

logical phalluses posted:

this is what i thought my first year of grad school too op.

slowly it dawns on you that your "noble" contributions will almost certainly amount to no tangible benefit for anyone ever, your hypotheses are often wrong and if they are you'll have wasted years of your life and anyone successful in academia is an autist shithead with no life.

in science in particular, it's a pretty lol-worthy system that's analogous to 19th century pre-union factories where the people actually doing the fundamental work to create the science are getting paid almost nothing (at least 75% of my time in grad school was spent in experimentation rather than learning anything, I had almost no courses because they needed me on the bench lol), expected to work for 60+ hours a week and not take weekends or holidays. when you're done, you can take an even shittier post-doc job with slightly better pay and after two or three of those when you fail to find a tenure-track position, you can kill yourself and end the misery

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Greed is eternal posted:

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. -- Bertrand Russell

like a philosopher has anything worth saying. lemme know what steve jobs had to say about wasting time oh wait he was too busy getting loving rich to waste time

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Business Octopus posted:

slowly it dawns on you that your "noble" contributions will almost certainly amount to no tangible benefit for anyone ever, your hypotheses are often wrong and if they are you'll have wasted years of your life and anyone successful in academia is an autist shithead with no life.

in science in particular, it's a pretty lol-worthy system that's analogous to 19th century pre-union factories where the people actually doing the fundamental work to create the science are getting paid almost nothing (at least 75% of my time in grad school was spent in experimentation rather than learning anything, I had almost no courses because they needed me on the bench lol), expected to work for 60+ hours a week and not take weekends or holidays. when you're done, you can take an even shittier post-doc job with slightly better pay and after two or three of those when you fail to find a tenure-track position, you can kill yourself and end the misery

Listen to this motherfucker, he gets it

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Business Octopus posted:

or get your phd and go into industry and start at six figures :whatup:

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

ElGroucho posted:

Listen to this motherfucker, he gets it

steve jobs never even finished college, let alone grad school. gently caress the bench. DO, MAKE, EARN. that's how you win

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

The Protagonist posted:

i'm still an undergrad and already getting paid to do research :smugdog:

then i'm first in line for a full ride as an GRA, continuing my research, followed by a cushy position at a commercially-noncompeting national laboratory so no stressful corporate crunchtime bullshit

i'm sure you guys have some really cool jobs though

can you get me a job? I promise you won't regret it

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
grad school was fun :( my campus was amazing, just stunning.

now i look into a brick wall when i look out of the window :(

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Gay Roads posted:

why does anyone get a liberal arts degree. loving faggots
i doubled majored in music and neuroscience and then got an MA in music history. what can i say, it's what interests me the most. more generally speaking: money, a needlessly large house, a guady car - the true intellectual cares not for these things.

different strokes for different folks. live and let live. don't worry, i won't come with in 1000 feet of your lovely office park or your Applebees friday night happy hour. :)

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

Skinny King Pimp posted:

or get your phd and go into industry and start at six figures :whatup:

most people have to get a post-doc before they can go into industry because grad school isn't considered experience lmao

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008

Business Octopus posted:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Rambling Robot posted:

grad school was fun :( my campus was amazing, just stunning.

now i look into a brick wall when i look out of the window :(

lmao I was living in one of the "dorms" at PSU last year which was basically just a really lovely apartment building and my room on the tenth story looked straight out into a brick wall and it was so insanely depressing I actually morphed into Fyodor Dostoevsky

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
can people stop complaing about school itt. this thread is about how awesome school is.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Harime Nui posted:

lmao I was living in one of the "dorms" at PSU last year which was basically just a really lovely apartment building and my room on the tenth story looked straight out into a brick wall and it was so insanely depressing I actually morphed into Fyodor Dostoevsky

are u sure bc last i checked dostoeyevsky was known for being a GOOD writer

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Goons have metamorphosed into a bunch of weird hateful bitter men who consider screwing around with a banks IT system so they can buy gadgets meaningful than self actualization and the quest for knowledge.

All you guys are doing is chruning the work better people than you worked out at grad school.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

Dostoevsky was an optimist!

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
Kleenthe_SmugAcamadeicDog

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

sexy young infidel posted:

Kleenthe_SmugAcamadeicDog

Kleen owns. YOSPOS posters blow.

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008

Harime Nui posted:

you turned into a degenerate gambler?

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

opus111 posted:

Goons have metamorphosed into a bunch of weird hateful bitter men who consider screwing around with a banks IT system so they can buy gadgets meaningful than self actualization and the quest for knowledge.

All you guys are doing is chruning the work better people than you worked out at grad school.

they've been that way since day one, friend

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Higher education is a tricky thing. Although it was used as a way if bettering oneself, now it's just another step to take in order to get a job and career

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

opus111 posted:

Dostoevsky was an optimist!

Fine, I turned into the Underground Man , sheesh

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Gaunab posted:

Higher education is a tricky thing. Although it was used as a way if bettering oneself, now it's just another step to take in order to get a job and career

that's a necessity in the us. it costs too much to ignore how you're going to pay for it after you're done, so people are naturally gravitating toward fields that have better earning potential

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

Fine, I turned into the Underground Man , sheesh

All goons are underground men.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i'm doctor of love but only if you cool with that boo

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

dads a mall cop posted:

i'm doctor of love but only if you cool with that boo

"And my prescription is...some vitamin D." :heysexy:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Gaunab posted:

you can't keep putting off real life

sure you can it's called working in academia

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Gay Roads posted:

"And my prescription is...some vitamin D." :heysexy:

*unzips pants and releases the sun*

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I got you all beat. The best degree is the one mah gal is getting as a doctor of physical therapy. She's a veteran and going to work for the VA. Hello no malpractice insurance and stay at home dad status for me beotches

(finishing my degree in criminal justice atm, can't wait to not use it)

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
i like grad school

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008

Ramsus posted:

I got you all beat. The best degree is the one mah gal is getting as a doctor of physical therapy. She's a veteran and going to work for the VA. Hello no malpractice insurance and stay at home dad status for me beotches

(finishing my degree in criminal justice atm, can't wait to not use it)

lol your bragging about your gf on gbs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Yeah, but she isn't real i meant anime pillow

• Locked thread