Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Kachunkachunk posted:

Yep, you can reset your modules in an effort to repair them. I barely escaped police when they shot out my thrusters - I was moving at boost speed and without flight assist, so I had enough distance/time to reset the thrusters to and get the frame shift drive up and charging. Took scattered hits the whole time I was getting repaired. Super close call.

Welp how do I do this?

e: Figured it out and limping home. Thanks all! Friendship drive, engage!

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Yet another goon making the trip to the big thingy at the Galactic core trip report.

Still about 6,500 light years to go, just got into the "use less than 1,000 light year jump calculations" zone, during my latest stint I came across this:

I'm guessing it's a solar flare. Purely cosmetic but the big starey things are still impressive.

Moving away from being a nerd who's spending hours of his life pressing "j", pressing "t" at the other end and then pressing "j" again. I'm hoping that when they bring out the Thargoids, that they have a level of scariness as the Shadows did when watching Babylon 5 for the first time. No I don't mean a stupid 90's spiky black spaceship, but that level of something bad out there. Maybe starting to see "something(s) during witchspace jumps. Have reports of players getting their poo poo kicked in. Basically have the whole "here there be dragons" thing going on.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Those aren't just cosmetic. Try flying through one...

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Alain Perdrix posted:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with K+M for PVP. You may not be as good at flying as a lot of the players you meet, but that just means you need to do it more.

I'm not the only person who thinks the mouse controls are terrible, right? I have it bound to pitch/yaw. Either I have a choice between constantly making adjustments to fly in a straight line or enabling relative mouse x/y axis, which centers way too fast even with rate turned to the absolute lowest setting.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Seems fine to me once you rebind the awful default controls, but I've never played any other flight game so I wouldn't know what's normal and gently caress if I'm buying a stick for a game I only play to listen to music/podcasts while taking pretty pictures.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

NOTinuyasha posted:

I'm not the only person who thinks the mouse controls are terrible, right? I have it bound to pitch/yaw. Either I have a choice between constantly making adjustments to fly in a straight line or enabling relative mouse x/y axis, which centers way too fast even with rate turned to the absolute lowest setting.

Have you tried increasing the mouse deadzone? I found that helped with flying in a straight line. Relative mouse correction is terrible, turn it off.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cactus posted:

Those aren't just cosmetic. Try flying through one...

Woah is this a thing? I'm guessing massive heat buildup? I've never noticed it but that's actually really cool in a super nerdy way :buddy:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

Woah is this a thing? I'm guessing massive heat buildup? I've never noticed it but that's actually really cool in a super nerdy way :buddy:

Yeah that's it. It's one of the few hazards that face explorers, but like most its only really an issue if you're not paying attention. Otherwise you just abandon your refuel run and approach the star from another angle.

I had to stop last night because I was so tired and a little drunk, I was literally drifting off to sleep while playing. If I log in now to a loving space station I will be... somewhat displeased.

e:

I've seen this nebula before, but this particular one was undiscovered.

A ringed earth-like.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 13, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cactus posted:

Yeah that's it. It's one of the few hazards that face explorers, but like most its only really an issue if you're not paying attention. Otherwise you just abandon your refuel run and approach the star from another angle.

I had to stop last night because I was so tired and a little drunk, I was literally drifting off to sleep while playing. If I log in now to a loving space station I will be... somewhat displeased.

This happened to me with another explorer-hazard: I kind of napped for a moment and when I woke up my Asp had made an emergency-stop near a White Dwarf. Like Neutron Stars, White Dwarfs look so small you very easily get too close and get burned.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Hehe yeah Elite is a very relaxing game to play and it doesn't help that I listen to gaming podcasts, which all consist of intrinsically boring sounding people to listen to so this combines to make a dangerously narcoleptic situation. I logged in this morning and needed to repair a few modules. Never refuel off a supergiant! You're always closer to it than you think.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
What's the busiest system anyone has seen? I think this is the highest number of bodies in one system for me, but I've seen a very similar number maybe 2 or 3 times before.

Unfortunately it was mostly lovely moons.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Even if that was all moons and you didn't scan any of them, it would be ~38000 money just for honking the horn at the system. A system with lots of moons can add up to be worth 1-3 high metal content planet scans with no effort needed.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The only time I ever bother scanning moons if if they orbit a terraforming candidate because there's a good chance its moons are candidates too.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 13, 2015

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Stupid question: how do you know if a planet is a terraforming candidate?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Mr Darcy posted:

It'll say on its description on the system screen after you've scanned it. You can normally guess which worlds are likely to be candidates based on their distance from the central star - e.g. G-type stars with a sizeable rocky planet at ~1AU are likely to be terraformable. I'm sure there's a list of star types and distances out there, but I haven't found it yet.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Mr Darcy posted:

It'll say so in the description. If you're wondering about them before you scan them, it's between 250-700 ly from the star or so, depending on star type and planet size and atmosphere type and blah blah blah

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Hey guys i just reinstalled this after a long absence.

This has changed. Whats everyone doing these days?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

HardKase posted:

Hey guys i just reinstalled this after a long absence.

This has changed. Whats everyone doing these days?

All the cool and funny plans with the RJR got wrecked by the background sim and Powerplay, everyone's pretty much farting around on their own or doing stuff for Arissa Lavigny-Duval because she gives insane bonuses to bounty hunting payouts as her faction reward.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740324 is the new PGS thread, we don't quite have a common goal yet but things are in the works. If you want to play with goons jump into IRC, otherwise check out the Powerplay stuff and get the 1.4 beta to try the CQC arenas, they're really fun.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 13, 2015

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

nippythefish posted:

It'll say so in the description. If you're wondering about them before you scan them, it's between 250-700 ly from the star or so, depending on star type and planet size and atmosphere type and blah blah blah

And for that reason they're almost always clumped together, so if you find one it's often worth scanning the ones next to it if they're nearby as they stand a good chance of being candidates also.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What is a good Aryssa system for hunting?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

NOTinuyasha posted:

I use pitch/roll with roll on relative x-axis and pitch not. If you want to fly in a straight line, toggle on headlook.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Or add a small amount of dead zone to the roll axis to keep you from crazy wobble.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Welp how do I do this?

e: Figured it out and limping home. Thanks all! Friendship drive, engage!
Woot! Glad you did. It's pretty neat resetting. I believe it damages other modules to repair the one you reboot. Worthwhile for thrusters, easily. :P

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Gromit posted:

What's the busiest system anyone has seen? I think this is the highest number of bodies in one system for me, but I've seen a very similar number maybe 2 or 3 times before.

Unfortunately it was mostly lovely moons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
New thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741690

• Locked thread