Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

• A digital download Elite: Dangerous
• Your very own Eagle fighter ship docked in a secondary location in-game
• Exclusive pack of ship paint jobs
• A ‘day one’ ship decal
• A digital players guide
• A digital concept art book

uh did they not include any of this on purpose or is it just me

Word is that stuff comes later this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Reason posted:

Lame. I just want to blow people up and rob their poo poo.
You can do this, but it's really more of a "be a pirate from whose perspective?" It's probably easier to act as a roaming privateer.

You'll also need to rely on the Black Market to sell cargo you take.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

• A ‘day one’ ship decal

There sits a post a page or two back in the old thread with a link to a forum comment from a dev saying that the "included stuff" should be here by the end of the week and apologizing for the delay.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
It's not the road to riches but I'm having fun being a combination of bounty hunter and pirate. There's a independent system between Big Harry's and Ingwaw (probably spelled that wrong) that I've been hanging out in. Pirate all the NPC transport ships and attack the wanted ships for bounties, which also often have cargo that I can sell on the black market in Ingwaw. Whenever I need to turn in bounties I just pay off the fines at Ingwaw (I'm just getting the low bounties for attacking NPC's until they dump cargo, killing them tends to make the venture unprofitable) and then collect the rewards at the system that I'm robbing.

I haven't seen any players yet though, goon or otherwise. I'll be glad when I upgrade to a Cobra though, I'm doing this in an Eagle with a tiny cargo hold (I might honestly try this in the Adder instead, since it holds more).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Reason posted:

Lame. I just want to blow people up and rob their poo poo.

Here's what you can do:
You can blow people up. You get fined unless they're wanted.
You can rob their poo poo. Costs money, cargo space for the robbing equipment, ammo costs for the robbing equipment. You get fined unless they're wanted.
You can sell their poo poo. You sell massively below galactic average, only on blackmarkets and if you get scanned - there's another (potentially gigantic) fine.

The money you make will be off the Wanted people which makes you a bounty hunter, not a pirate. The parts that are pirate specific lose you money (or are incredibly like to lose you money for very little reward).

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

• A ‘day one’ ship decal

You should have all but the last two already, with the missing ones coming at the end of the week accoring to a post on FD's forum. You should also get a second free ship!

e. beaten

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks
A bunch of anarchy systems are stuffed with excellent mining belts and good supply refining stations to help provide for a player piracy economy. Of course you have to go find that stuff out and actually try it, and since you're talking about pirating players there's no way to force them to expose themselves to you in open play.

Depending on your viewpoint this either is reasonable or proof that this game is terrible that you should :frogout:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

How do you locate your preorder eagle? I didn't see any assets list or similar.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

This probably seems like a stupid question, but is my save file stored serverside? As in can I play on my lunch break at work, and get home to be exactly where I left off?

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

SperginMcBadposter posted:

How do you locate your preorder eagle? I didn't see any assets list or similar.

The galaxy map (and system map for the right system) have a blue ship icon next to systems/stations where you have ships stored, and a gold world icon next to systems/stations where you have mission deliverables.

For ships, you can also go to any station that has a shipyard and the shipyard screen will show you what ships you have stored where.

Icedude posted:

This probably seems like a stupid question, but is my save file stored serverside? As in can I play on my lunch break at work, and get home to be exactly where I left off?
Yes.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks guys. Space!~

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

The training videos are pretty good. There's a few really bad bugs still in the game but they're all pretty rare, so unless you hit some bad luck you'll know whats up before you see one, but this is a pretty harsh sandbox environment and it's totally normal to be all

at times, so ask questions.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

haha look at this guy, can't even fly with Flight Assist off :smug:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Oh no! I scratched my paint :smith:

Popoto fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 16, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm mildly annoyed that none of the buyable Viper paintjobs appeal to me. The Mercenary scheme is ok I guess.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

:911:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm so sad I didn't catch the Wireframe ship skin when it was around. :(

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Wanker posted:

If you guys have any ideas, or useful info/links that you feel should be in the OP - gimme a shout!

Add this.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
To add to the OP : How to be Explorer / Trader / Combatant from scratch plz I'm flailing in space (having fun)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

StarMinstrel posted:

To add to the OP : How to be Explorer / Trader / Combatant from scratch plz I'm flailing in space (having fun)
OP needs to check his PMs, the pointers created by me, updated by Galaga Galaxian, and then updated/formatted further by me are waiting to be added

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Reason posted:

If I want to be a pirate will I have to live in anarchy systems? Is it feasible to just be a pirate?

Here's my guide to being a pirate, if you also want to enjoy the other stuff the game has to offer:

Have an Anarchy station to sell your goods. You don't have to live there.
Operate in a border system. Exclusively pirate the systems that aren't in your chosen major faction - The Feds don't give a poo poo if you pirate Independents or the Empire, and vice versa.
Never bother paying off your bounties thats just dumb.

There's actually some crazy money to be made pirating, but you have to be smart and careful, and both understand the areas you'll be working in and have a ship that's properly equipped for the work you'll be doing. I'm actually probably going to end up going pirate alongside my revolutionary freedom fighter status myself, to be honest!

We'll also be working, I'm sure, on flipping a system or two near Big Harry's to anarchy, and then boom, profit! Big Harry's is my home (but I don't do Illegal stuff there), the Anarchy system is my dump site, and the entire Empire is my prey.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Oh my loving god, I've been going to the forums proper to find staff updates like that. :aaa:

You're the hero Big Harry needs.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm mildly annoyed that none of the buyable Viper paintjobs appeal to me. The Mercenary scheme is ok I guess.

Counterpoint.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Well, I officially popped my Elite cherry - blew up inside a station due to REASONS. Don't launch your ship and switch to your map. Trust me, it is bad news bears

Also it is my first save reroll. gently caress you, loan officer.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

Well, I officially popped my Elite cherry - blew up inside a station due to REASONS. Don't launch your ship and switch to your map. Trust me, it is bad news bears

Also it is my first save reroll. gently caress you, loan officer.
It's ok before the rare nerf I bought a new cobra mk II, outfitted it, and filled the holds with Lavian Brandy, then promptly rammed myself into the side of the station while trying to exit.

Yeah, I rerolled after that.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Remember when you could boost with your landing gear down? I really miss watching people zip into the comm tower at the back of the station :smith:

Literally Kermit posted:

I lost an Asp the other day due to slamming into the fencing around the letterbox. The first station I had seen in literal days, I was carrying ~350 systems worth of advanced scans. :downs:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I've been dicking around with bounty hunting again. Swapped the c2 rail guns to c2 gimballed multi-cannons and haven't noticed a downside, while getting comparable performance, cheaper ammo, and less power drain. Welp.

Waiting for the economy to recover after AI trading hosed it, I bought some slaves in an anarchic system and trucked them to Shinigami for around 1700 profit/ton. I am officially a terrible person.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Big Harry's needs to join the Empire. :colbert:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Discuss it in the private games thread then. Make your case!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Started to do exploration. If you're poor as gently caress, it's astonishingly profitable. I just scanned down the two suns and the forlorn looking mug of a planet in the system I was flying to, and get more then 3 times the profit of my tea-trading run. Now I just have to jump to another system to actually sell this data. :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Some basic info on Factions

Something to keep in mind many won't realize right away, but systems and their governments are not monolithic entities. Every system has multiple factions, all of them vying for power and influence, and the things you do effect how well they succeed, and how much they like you.

Having a faction like you is a big deal - it means more and better missions from them on account of trusting you more. When they are allied, they will turn green.

If they belong to a major faction, you can also improve standing with the major faction, and get additional exclusive Federation, Imperial, or Alliance missions.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
OK, so I played for about three hours, have no clue what I'm doing and made a massive FOUR HUNDRED BUCKS when I could finally dock at a station. My meteoric rise has begun.

(How do I find my free eagle? I preordered yesterday so it should be out there somewhere, right?)

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
It's docked at a station near your starting location. On the Galaxy Map you'll see a tiny green ship icon next to the system its in, and in that system's System Map the icon will be at the specific station.

They really should add your personal fleet's info to the right-side ship menu.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Gort posted:

OK, so I played for about three hours, have no clue what I'm doing and made a massive FOUR HUNDRED BUCKS when I could finally dock at a station. My meteoric rise has begun.

(How do I find my free eagle? I preordered yesterday so it should be out there somewhere, right?)

It should be in the system you started in. Check the system map, and find the station with the extra icon next to it.
If you don't remember where that system was, go to any Shipyard and check the "stored ships" tab.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think you mean the Empire needs to join Big Harry's

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Gort posted:

OK, so I played for about three hours, have no clue what I'm doing and made a massive FOUR HUNDRED BUCKS when I could finally dock at a station.

After you get your Eagle, find either a resource extraction site, or a nav beacon, target Sidewinders, Eagles, Haulers, Type 6's. If they come up wanted, shoot them until they explode. It's easy money, early on. Once you get a few parts for your Eagle, you can easily take on Cobras and Vipers too..hell even lower level Asps.

-e sp

Remote User fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 16, 2014

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So one of the best features, by far, of operating out of Xihe is that one of the systems nearby is named "Huh" and it makes all the missions sound like they were ordered by one very busy, very easily distracted person:

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
How do guys using joysticks have their strafe up/down/left/right bound? Right now they're on my keyboard cause I've no logical buttons on my stick for them, it doesn't really matter but it's slightly clumsier when docking that's all.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Frank Horrigan posted:

Remember when you could boost with your landing gear down? I really miss watching people zip into the comm tower at the back of the station :smith:

I'm pretty sure that "comm tower" is placed there purely to impale ships that accidentally boost in the station.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

How do guys using joysticks have their strafe up/down/left/right bound? Right now they're on my keyboard cause I've no logical buttons on my stick for them, it doesn't really matter but it's slightly clumsier when docking that's all.

My throttle has an analogue thumbstick which is perfect for lateral and vertical thrusters.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Uhm is the game down right now? it says i am unconnected.

• Locked thread