Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Nope I don't think so. I'm aware this is a dumb question. :(

Is it a big rotating station or is it a platform? If it's a platform the bays might be full (so wait for someone to leave) OR your ship is too big so go away

efb so badly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

When did this get added? :confused:

Not complaining, it was sorely needed. Only reason I saw it is because I had just killed my last pirate before taking a break.

Xesis
Jul 11, 2002

For those that are using an Xbox 360/One controller, which setup do you use? Right now I'm on controller + yaw, but it's annoying to have to use the keyboard for strafe thrusters (Q+E). Any recommended setups/bindings out there? Someone mentioned about having one earlier, but never actually posted it.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Interdicted a player, told him my nick was better and tried to shoot him. He escaped. :c

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Frank Horrigan posted:

Not complaining, it was sorely needed. Only reason I saw it is because I had just killed my last pirate before taking a break.

I noticed it a few days ago. Pretty recently I'm guessing.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Frank Horrigan posted:

Either early gamma or late beta 3. Can't remember when I encountered it last.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

BlueGrot posted:

Interdicted a player, told him my nick was better and tried to shoot him. He escaped. :c

Go to SC and interdict him again! They're almost never smart enough to actually jump to another system, so odds are he's bumbling around in the same area you nabbed him.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

It was in Sol, I'm omw to the Orion Nebula.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I just got things installed, went to take off, and was greeted by the pre-flight checklist.

None of the joystick axis work in the checklist. They work fine in the tutorials, but in the checklist they just endlessly loop between (for example) left roll and right roll. Can't even take off. Great start.

Edit: had to rebind it all to get past

ritorix fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 17, 2014

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ernie Muppari posted:

Is it one of the big rotating stations with the Babylon 5 entrance, or one of the smaller ISS style ones where the parking spaces are all just outside?

You weren't spelling it 'jotenheim' for a few hours were you by any chance? :doh:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I'm going to join a friend over near the starting area, buy/equip and Eagle, and interdict & kill players for fun right near a star in an independent or anarchy system.

Just one question, is the only way to tell if someone is a player by that they have no faction in the contacts list? I don't even know if I've ever seen another player.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

It irks me. Jotunheim is indefinite article. Jotunheimen is definite.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Kenshin posted:

I'm going to join a friend over near the starting area, buy/equip and Eagle, and interdict & kill players for fun right near a star in an independent or anarchy system.

Just one question, is the only way to tell if someone is a player by that they have no faction in the contacts list? I don't even know if I've ever seen another player.

Players have hollow blips on the radar.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Frank Horrigan posted:

Players have hollow blips on the radar.

Also, players always have CMDR in front of their name. But the blips is the best way to tell at a glance.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I preordered this and have been anticipating for months, so my desktop rig would brick on launch day. :smith:

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Hah, looks like the chucklefucks at Frontier purged all open tickets again. Three weeks with no response and they deleted it without even acknowledging it. :bravo:

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

This thing should convert fuel into gold.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Elenkis posted:

This thing should convert fuel into gold.

Good god, I wonder what the fuel rate is on that :aaa:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Frank Horrigan posted:

Hah, looks like the chucklefucks at Frontier purged all open tickets again. Three weeks with no response and they deleted it without even acknowledging it. :bravo:

Chucklefucks? Seriously?
:allears:

I mean I filed a few tickets that never got responses but I'm not taking it personally.

Edit: please do not take this as me fellating the developers rather pointing out that mass purges of open tickets (of which I'm guessing there are a ton of pointless ones) is relatively common when you get done pushing out a bunch of bug fixes. If this issue is so pressing, maybe try opening a ticket again?

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 17, 2014

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Xesis posted:

For those that are using an Xbox 360/One controller, which setup do you use? Right now I'm on controller + yaw, but it's annoying to have to use the keyboard for strafe thrusters (Q+E). Any recommended setups/bindings out there? Someone mentioned about having one earlier, but never actually posted it.
There is a ludicrously complicated one that uses the bumpers as shift-buttons. I couldn't even find the right settings to setup like that.

I use a mixture of that one and the default (controller without yaw) setup. The important thing is to setup a yaw/rotate button somewhere, I use left stick press.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

peter gabriel posted:

You weren't spelling it 'jotenheim' for a few hours were you by any chance? :doh:

I...I've never actually attempted to get to Big Harry's. :blush:

Frank Horrigan posted:

Good god, I wonder what the fuel rate is on that :aaa:

Man, a Class 4 D was enough to keep my Type-9 topped off after a quick post-jump pass (like, ~2 seconds of scooping at most). Maybe you don't even need to be near a star for that one to work?

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Chucklefucks? Seriously?
:allears:

I mean I filed a few tickets that never got responses but I'm not taking it personally.

Edit: please do not take this as me fellating the developers rather pointing out that mass purges of open tickets (of which I'm guessing there are a ton of pointless ones) is relatively common when you get done pushing out a bunch of bug fixes. If this issue is so pressing, maybe try opening a ticket again?

Yeah, that was probably a little excessive, just frustrated because this is the second time I've had a ticket about this issue get purged. I originally complained about it back in Beta 3 and they wiped all the tickets in the switch to Gamma, so for it to happen AGAIN is just... :suicide:

I understand why they do it and it's perfectly reasonable to do so, but goddamn it's annoying.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
edit: Nevermind, this is offtopic.

Flying spaceships through asteroids rule.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Frank Horrigan posted:

Yeah, that was probably a little excessive, just frustrated because this is the second time I've had a ticket about this issue get purged. I originally complained about it back in Beta 3 and they wiped all the tickets in the switch to Gamma, so for it to happen AGAIN is just... :suicide:

I understand why they do it and it's perfectly reasonable to do so, but goddamn it's annoying.

What's the problem you're ticketing.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

This is probably a silly question, but are there multiple servers like for one-off gaming? Or is there a persistent world like in EVE except with first-person piloting and less miscellaneous bullshit to get in the way of shooting mans?

I hope I'm not dumb for making an EVE comparison but it's the closest thing I've played to what this seems like. Are there any Goon guilds or whatever?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I'd basically want one of two things from this game.

A. a big dumb campaign where big dumb space men tell me how xyz is a serious threat and I need to blow it up Freelancer style, leading to a cool spacemans fight somewhere. It can be the worst dross imaginable as long as it exists.

or

B. goons telling me where to fly as a crew, flying there, and then getting into huge space battles with other goons making GBS threads on pubbies.

I'm not big on space trucking, although I'm willing to do it to unlock space combat which is why I generally play these games. I'm also not keen on playing as a pirate, or even hunting pirates, it's just not my deal. But big space battles, scripted as part of a campaign, or instigated by goons who are big on starting poo poo are entirely my thing. Just checking to see if Elite would be my sort of game or not, since it's actually kind of hard to tell, even checking the OP. I'm also more then a little wary of buying this solely for multiplayer, as it's a smaller game funded by kickstarter, not Eve, so who knows how long that'll keep up.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 17, 2014

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

life is killing me posted:

This is probably a silly question, but are there multiple servers like for one-off gaming? Or is there a persistent world like in EVE except with first-person piloting and less miscellaneous bullshit to get in the way of shooting mans?

I hope I'm not dumb for making an EVE comparison but it's the closest thing I've played to what this seems like. Are there any Goon guilds or whatever?

It's persistent, and there is a goon group but grouping is still... don't want to say "crap", but it's not fantastic. There's supposed to be an update to it early next year.

Rookersh posted:

So I'd basically want one of two things from this game.

A. a big dumb campaign where big dumb space men tell me how xyz is a serious threat and I need to blow it up Freelancer style, leading to a cool spacemans fight somewhere. It can be the worst dross imaginable as long as it exists.

or

B. goons telling me where to fly as a crew, flying there, and then getting into huge space battles with other goons making GBS threads on pubbies.

I'm not big on space trucking, although I'm willing to do it to unlock space combat which is why I generally play these games. I'm also not keen on playing as a pirate, or even hunting pirates, it's just not my deal. But big space battles, scripted as part of a campaign, or instigated by goons who are big on starting poo poo are entirely my thing. Just checking to see if Elite would be my sort of game or not, since it's actually kind of hard to tell, even checking the OP.

It wouldn't.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Halfway to the orion nebula! o/ Now playing the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I bought the game! Now I get to play the most exciting part of it: downloading it and watching the pilot training! Is there a shared Spotify playlist we should be using for optimal Space Onion Hauling Experience?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Frank Horrigan posted:

It's persistent, and there is a goon group but grouping is still... don't want to say "crap", but it's not fantastic. There's supposed to be an update to it early next year.

So like, not really guilds just yet. I'm mainly just wanting to know if I can get through space without shooting at/getting shot by other Goons. I only play games with Goons and want to, like, wave at other Goons as we fly by each other and nod in our space-helmets and maybe give a thumbs-up as if to say, "Oh, poo poo, sup, fellow Goon? Let's not space-rape each other, k?"

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Interdict pubbies.

Ask them if they like bumper cars.

Boost into them.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

life is killing me posted:

So like, not really guilds just yet. I'm mainly just wanting to know if I can get through space without shooting at/getting shot by other Goons. I only play games with Goons and want to, like, wave at other Goons as we fly by each other and nod in our space-helmets and maybe give a thumbs-up as if to say, "Oh, poo poo, sup, fellow Goon? Let's not space-rape each other, k?"

Yeah, you'll be fine. There's no large scale griefing like there is in EVE. If someone is camping and area shits on you, just switch to solo mode and fly through before going back to open.

Bargearse posted:

Interdict pubbies.

Ask them if they like bumper cars.

Boost into them.

Sit at the back of the station in a Type 7, full pips to shields. Boost through the letterbox when you see someone trying to dock. :iamafag:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Frank Horrigan posted:

Sit at the back of the station in a Type 7, full pips to shields. Boost through the letterbox when you see someone trying to dock. :iamafag:

Best part about this is it isn't illegal!

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Am I the only one getting awful lag?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Anyone know the jump ranges of a Viper Mk. Murderboat with mostly A components and Many Guns?

vvv - awesome thanks!

Lima fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 17, 2014

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Lima posted:

Anyone know the jump ranges of a Viper Mk. Murderboat with mostly A components and Many Guns?

I've got around ~12 ly on mine, and it fits those specifications to the letter.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Drake_263 posted:

I'm gone for two days and there's forty pages of new posts on the old thread, and a new thread - so much reading!
Now, have some :words: for a change..

First Impressions - Zorgon-Peterson Adder - Boldly Going Where No Reptile Has Gone Before

Sweet. Can you do this for some of the other ships in the game? I'm looking through the old thread now for stuff you've done, but maybe some of the info has changed since then, and it'd be handy to have it in more or less one place.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Frank Horrigan posted:

Yeah, you'll be fine. There's no large scale griefing like there is in EVE. If someone is camping and area shits on you, just switch to solo mode and fly through before going back to open.

Ok awesome. Downloading it now, or syncing or whatever it's doing. I won't get to play tonight because for some reason my girlfriend keeps wanting to "spend time with me" and "talk about rings" and whatever, I dunno what's up with that.

Anyway, yeah, that's mostly what I was worried about. At least in EVE you could get out of getting griefed mostly by staying out of low-security systems, but you'd still get griefed doing the most mundane thing in the game, mining, to make enough money to survive slightly longer the next time you got griefed. Of course there were things you could do as a more experienced player to warp to safe zones and what-not, but mostly it's a big grief-fest. Then I discovered Goons and just hung with them.

That said I'm glad to know that if I want to just check out the game I won't get griefed right out of the gate while I'm learning how to fly and do combat and space-truck and all that poo poo.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

SquadronROE posted:

I bought the game! Now I get to play the most exciting part of it: downloading it and watching the pilot training! Is there a shared Spotify playlist we should be using for optimal Space Onion Hauling Experience?

http://open.spotify.com/user/1249838373/playlist/3rPd74Oi18GFczoIkTKyHy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Frank Horrigan posted:

grilldos posted:

What's the problem you're ticketing.

• Locked thread