Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Really this was a no win situation because if Dolph lost we would just laughing about Dolph losing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

like they've definitely just sold Seth's entire character around "will always lose without security." He managed to beat Cena with security and lost to Dolph without

I guess that's fine, he is a heel and super fun to watch, so I shouldn't get bummed out

e: I mentally block out anything involving Jack Swagger so I guess I forgot about that

He still comes off powerful while still being a fun chickenshit heel. As long as has the curb stomp as finisher, regular fans will think of him as a strong wrestler.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Seth is at his best when he gets to play 'assassin' like in the Survivor Series match.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

waffle iron posted:

He still comes off powerful while still being a fun chickenshit heel. As long as has the curb stomp as finisher, regular fans will think of him as a strong wrestler.

Dexters Secret posted:

Seth is at his best when he gets to play 'assassin' like in the Survivor Series match.

Yeah, he has that Edge-like vibe of always being a threat and able to sneak wins and finishers out of nowhere despite choosing to cheat whenever possible

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Daniel Bryan posted:

nah it's fine, Seth has talent and I don't think this was them giving up on him

they clearly like seth a lot and its not like they have any better candidates for top heel when lesnar is not around

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Cardboard Box posted:

they clearly like seth a lot and its not like they have any better candidates for top heel when lesnar is not around

Yes but when business is down that's when they do things you wouldn't expect like Dolph beating Rollins clean. That's all I'm saying. Not thinking that's what this is but it wouldn't surprise me. Seth has been made to look pretty incompetent three days in a row.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah i was mostly agreeing with you

also honestly a little surprised that the live smackdown only managed 12 pages but then again i didn't watch either

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 17, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Daniel Bryan posted:

Yes but when business is down that's when they do things you wouldn't expect like Dolph beating Rollins clean. That's all I'm saying. Not thinking that's what this is but it wouldn't surprise me. Seth has been made to look pretty incompetent three days in a row.
Uhhh he said that he was the mastermind behind getting Jericho killed and getting Brock to kill Cena :smug:

But yeah I get what you are saying

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
YAY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9XtV3Uj524

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Welp, looks like Bryan is 100% right: Reigns is a perfectly fine talker when you stop scripting his promos. If everything he said on TV was like this video that would solve a lot of problems.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

See that is a great promo. More of that please

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

he actually came across like a human being there

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Delsaber posted:

Welp, looks like Bryan is 100% right: Reigns is a perfectly fine talker when you stop scripting his promos. If everything he said on TV was like this video that would solve a lot of problems.

There are lots of great actors who are given poo poo scripts and still make it work and give a good performance, I think the same situation applies here in general

"This performer, on a scripted TV show, is real good - but only when he isn't following a script"

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 17, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Valeyard posted:

There are lots of great actors who are given poo poo scripts and still make it work and give a good performance, I think the same situation applies here in general

"This performer, on a scripted TV show, is real good - but only when he isn't following a script"

It really doesn't at all - the vast majority of the history of wrestling is based around performers who improvise and play off the feeling of the crowd on any particular night, and the best have always been those who have a natural feeling that comes across as a reflection of their personality (usually turned up to 11, as the saying goes). Pro-wrestling is closer to improvised theater than television or films (or scripted plays) and has always been better when treated that way - the moment matches get hammered down to be laid out move for move, the majority come across as bland and unnatural, and the same goes for promos and interviews.

If they want their show to be like television, maybe they should hire some unionized actors :colbert:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Some guys are improved by a having a script, others are completely hamstrung. I dare say that most of these guys all sound the same, because they're written by the same people.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Blasmeister posted:

Yeah, he has that Edge-like vibe of always being a threat and able to sneak wins and finishers out of nowhere despite choosing to cheat whenever possible

This is a good point. Seth's whole gimmick is that he's an opportunistic shithead who also happens to be talented. He's good in the ring and people recognize that in promos, but he'll worm his way into a victory by any means necessary - why do things the hard way when you can just use other people to get what you want?

I can totally imagine Seth having several brief title reigns like Edge, where he's recognized as a champion but each of his victories are the result of him being a total slimeball.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

I can totally imagine Seth having several brief title reigns like Edge, where he's recognized as a champion but each of his victories are the result of him being a total slimeball.

He needs a woman, who will it be?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Valeyard posted:

Paige.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Valeyard posted:

Becky Lynch, natch.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Too bad Kaitlyn had to dye her hair and then quit. I wanted a two-tone hair power couple.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Valeyard posted:

Summer Rae. Her over the top antics are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Writer Cath posted:

Summer Rae. Her over the top antics are fantastic.

Aren't they together for-realsies anyway? Maybe it's only a matter of time before it's on TV.

• Locked thread