Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite cooking tool
Food processor
Slow cooker/crock pot
Classic skillet
Saucepan
Pizza Stone
View Results

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Noyemi K posted:

Ah yes, Sandra Lee is the essence of what I wanted out of this thread. Going into the OP.

Make sure to put her Hannukah cake full of non-kosher ingredients too, that's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
still waiting on a good "I bought a ready meal but it had a human femur in it" story

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

a hole-y ghost posted:

lasagna in a slow cooker??

Worst idea, but not my idea. That stuff disintegrated when you put a fork in it; the pasta was so overcooked.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Lets be fair, its not the worst idea, I've seen recipes for slow cooker hot wings.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Noyemi K posted:

Worst idea, but not my idea. That stuff disintegrated when you put a fork in it; the pasta was so overcooked.
well yeah.. you could cook the sauce in a slow cooker i guess but theres no way you'll get pasta to hold up in there

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Lets be fair, its not the worst idea, I've seen recipes for slow cooker hot wings.

That seems like it could be okay though :confused:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

nah they'll fall apart.

what happened to the cheese on the lasagna?

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Noyemi K posted:

they would probably come out rubbery, wings need to be fried crispy

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

a hole-y ghost posted:

nah they'll fall apart.

what happened to the cheese on the lasagna?

The ricotta seemed fine but there seems to have been too much cheese on the top. It was a humongous layer that was pretty overcooked on the edges and pretty chewy everywhere else, not really nice and gooey.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

yeah you cant have it in a closed container either or else it wont get nice and brown on top

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I bought some cod the other day and then boiled it into a chowder. Didn't really add any vegetables besides garlic and onion because I wasn't sure how well the fish would turn out. Turns out it was pretty good; I'm still trying to figure out what to add to the next batch besides potatoes.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Noyemi K posted:

Frying is a critical step dammit.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Unguided posted:

I bought some cod the other day and then boiled it into a chowder. Didn't really add any vegetables besides garlic and onion because I wasn't sure how well the fish would turn out. Turns out it was pretty good; I'm still trying to figure out what to add to the next batch besides potatoes.

Get some assorted shellfish and make a cioppino

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I have two, not exactly what you asked for but still lazy cooking. One is when people use red bell peppers in all of their dishes to add color, or green onion? Like why don't you match the flavor profile? Anyways the other time was when I didn't have bread, but had tortillas. So I made a pbj with that. It was lovely.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Haverchuck posted:

they would probably come out rubbery, wings need to be fried crispy

This is what I normally do as a matter of fact, but I didn't know people actually tried to take the lazy route and crock or bake besides my mom. A few weeks ago we had "Orange wings" out of the oven, and, uh, they came out so unappetizing I couldn't eat more than a bite. It was less the taste and more the frustration at the waste. Here's how it went:

The wings were to be marinated for about 24 hours in orange juice and orange slices.
The wings were to be ovened for a bit and then finished on the grill.
The grill could not be started for whatever reason, so they finished in the oven.
They came out bland, because they weren't seasoned and orange juice alone isn't really much of a marinade. They were also a bit mushy.

So we wasted like a half gallon of orange juice and 50 or more wings. They ate it all up anyway though. I hate it when we get wings and my mom insists on making them, because that means they're going in the oven and that they're going to suck loving hard.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I dont even boil water on the stove for oats or ramen noodles or soup. I just put it in a bowl, add some water, and microwave it.

You can also make pretty quick scrambled eggs in the microwave, they taste ok but
I do this to feed them to my dog, he doesnt seem to mind.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Noyemi K posted:

The wings were to be marinated for about 24 hours in orange juice and orange slices.
The wings were to be ovened for a bit and then finished on the grill.
The grill could not be started for whatever reason, so they finished in the oven.
They came out bland, because they weren't seasoned and orange juice alone isn't really much of a marinade. They were also a bit mushy.

haha thats mega gross. who would actually go through with that!

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Haverchuck posted:

haha thats mega gross. who would actually go through with that!

ugh, my mom. She's really not a lovely cook, not by a stretch, but lately she's just been getting a lot more complacent about everything. And there are some things I'd never trust her to make, such as pasta bakes.

Making ziti, she didn't cook the pasta before saucing and ovening it. :barf:

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I put fish sticks in the toaster op. Then I fill a drinking glass with ketchup and dip them in it and eat them. Two at the time.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
(I have a really small toaster)

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Noyemi K posted:

ugh, my mom. She's really not a lovely cook, not by a stretch

Noyemi K posted:

Making ziti, she didn't cook the pasta before saucing and ovening it. :barf:

:confused:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

My bf puts a mixing bowl of water and dry pasta in the microwave. He has the necessary levels of shame not to do it when he thinks I'll notice, but I know.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

My bf puts a mixing bowl of water and dry pasta in the microwave. He has the necessary levels of shame not to do it when he thinks I'll notice, but I know.
i guess that could work if it was a really small bowl but doesnt it get unevenly cooked?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I swear she is capable of good food. She's just gotten so tremendously lazy that standing up for more than ten minutes is "a hard day", literally. So the laziness has made her cooking mostly unpalatable for me.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

so shes not a good cook anymore.. its okay you can say it

we're all friends here

e: what did she make before though?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Decent burgers, fried chicken, great oven mac, good pizzas when they were topped sensibly, good roasts and stuff.

She got into a downward slide at around 2009 though and things slowly started crumbling. It started with her philosophy on cakes, which is that "no one really ever makes a whole cake from scratch". Which is easy enough to do and turns out great :confused:

e: though I've only ever actually seen her make a cake from scratch once and it was way too heavy, so I guess she was always sort of lazy but it just got worse and she nosedived in the past two years.

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 17, 2014

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Noyemi K posted:

Decent burgers, fried chicken, great oven mac, good pizzas when they were topped sensibly, good roasts and stuff.

She got into a downward slide at around 2009 though and things slowly started crumbling. It started with her philosophy on cakes, which is that "no one really ever makes a whole cake from scratch". Which is easy enough to do and turns out great :confused:
hmm well i hope your mom pulls thru the depression

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Get some assorted shellfish and make a cioppino

do you have a recipe because I fuckin love cioppino and want to make one

I've been getting back into cooking lately, cooking rules

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

do you have a recipe because I fuckin love cioppino and want to make one

I've been getting back into cooking lately, cooking rules

White wine, fish stock, poo poo loads of butter, a chopped tomato, onions, garlic, and fishy bits. Red pepper flakes are good too. Bay leaves and whatnot. Google might have some other ones.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I used to make my ramen in hot water from the sink. Too lazy to boil water.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

serious norman posted:

I used to make my ramen in hot water from the sink. Too lazy to boil water.

you can't be serious (,) norman

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.
Instead of making a decent meal with a protein, a starch and a vegetable I just said "gently caress it" and left out the veggies and used hotdogs and Pillsbury to make pig in a blanket. I dipped it in ketchup so I guess technically I did have a veggie.

spatula massacre
Aug 2, 2012

I don't want to be your little research monkey boy, the creature that I am is only going to destroy.
When I was younger I tried buttering bread before putting it in the toaster to really infuse the butter with the bread and set the toaster on fire.

:how:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

NObodiesGeek posted:

Instead of making a decent meal with a protein, a starch and a vegetable I just said "gently caress it" and left out the veggies and used hotdogs and Pillsbury to make pig in a blanket. I dipped it in ketchup so I guess technically I did have a veggie.

so was it good or poo poo, 'cause it kinda sounds like poo poo unless you used beef hotdogs which are Tasty and Good

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

For people who want to eat pulled pork but don't have any of the knowledge or equipment, a crock pot is a godsend. Grab someboneless pork shoulder, add pretty much whatever recipe you find that suits your taste, and let that thing go for 8 hours. Add a bag of chips and some sandwich rolls and you have lunch for the whole week for like $20.

I got really lazy and just got the Campbell's slow cooker sauce for it, 2.5 lbs of pork shoulder with that on top in the slow cooker and while it's not the best, it wasn't bad for starting at 3 AM while kinda drunk.

Tl;dr crock pots are worth the $30 you'll spend on one and post your favorite crock pot creation

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

pillsbury stuff is really salty and not good for adding stuff to tho

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.

Noyemi K posted:

so was it good or poo poo, 'cause it kinda sounds like poo poo unless you used beef hotdogs which are Tasty and Good

I was being lazy and cheap so it was bar s. Since then I've grown up and refined so it's usually Hebrew or something as expensive, if I even eat a hot dog which is rare.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I don't approve of israel's actions in the gaza strip but god drat is Hebrew National a good hot dog

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Pressure cookers are really good for 'slow cooked' recipes. It's about 3 times faster and because it's mostly sealed to build up pressure it does an even better job of preserving flavor. I use it for slow cooked beef recipes that would normally take 4-6 hours. I haven't used it yet for dried beans and such but supposedly it works really well for that too. I used to think it's a dumb gimmick but after reading Heston Blumenthal (spergy British 3 star michelin chef) recommend it in one of his books I decided to buy one and try it out, haven't gone back since. I'm a spergy try hard amateur cook myself so sorry, I don't have any horror stories to share involving laziness.

Noyemi K posted:

Hahaha, you can literally make a good cake by going 1/4 flour, 1/4 eggs, 1/4 sugar, 1/4 butter with a pinch of salt. Sure you can sperg about details to make it more fluffy or moist if you want to but it's perfectly servicable in that form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

Make sure to put her Hannukah cake full of non-kosher ingredients too, that's the best.

Her "King Cake" is also quite bad.

Unsurprisingly, my mom finds Sandra Lee's advice usable so that might be part of it. We can't tell the difference! :downs:

e: I mean I get Sandra Lee has had a hard life and powered through it and all that but she's not a good cook, why does she have a cooking show?

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 17, 2014

• Locked thread