Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Oh look, it's another phone game. Jeez these sure are becoming popular around here.

Lets get right into a gameplay video, since images don't really show off the game very well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrJ7fS7u32A

If you like what you saw, you can DL it here for android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nhnent.SKQUEST
or here for iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crusaders-quest/id901858272?mt=8

The concept of this game, is your team of 3 moves right across the map, attacking enemies and using skills to kill them. The game will put on the bottom of the screen the icon for an ability, your task is to match 3 of them as much as you can to use more powerful versions of the skills to beat the level. As you form combos, you eventually are able to use other skills, similar to ultimates to deal even more damage.

Currently in early release, this game has a storyline like most phone games, and has a PvP coliseum, as well as limited time dungeons, and even raids. I'm really enjoying the PvP a lot in this game, even though the defender is computer controlled. The AI does a good job at using their skills, and it's not like Brave Frontier where who fires off their abilities first typically wins. The TTK(time to kill), is a lot longer in this game than others, which allows for healers to do their magic, or your team to set up combo chains with skills, etc. I have not tried raids yet, as they do require a significant amout of stamina in order to do. This game does have IAP, but I do think it's decently fair in giving out units, and isn't greedy as hell like Summoners War was/is?

The gameplay looks simple, but I do feel the skills allow for a pretty complex combo system, where you can CC lock people down and chain skills on them if you get the right set up going on with your team. For example quite often I can root the enemy team in place, throw a giant shuriken across the screen, and immediately start a juggle. The shuriken will hit them on their way up, as well as their way down if timed right, in which I can immediately follow up with another root. This is very difficult to pull off in practice, but is very rewarding when it happens. Each character has a regular skill that's bound to them, and unchangable, but the ultimate can be switched from character to character, allowing for countless changes to team compositions and playstyles.

Some things for anyone interested in starting:
1) Join the line app I've set up. DL Line App from the store, and then go into Line, go to add friends, and then click QR code at the top and scan this image.
2) Don't go pull crazy with heroes. Work on leveling up 1* characters. When you max level a character the first time you get IAP currency. When you evolve them to the next tier, they sell for more money. It's worthwhile to level up 1*'s to 2* max level, or even 3* and then sell them for honor points.
3) If you do decide to go full gacha for heroes, the first pull is 6 gems, and each pull afterwards is only 5. Make sure you have room for all your new characters, because if you leave the pull screen to buy more space for your heroes, you'll have to spend that initial 6 gems again.

Game is loads of fun, DL it, DL line app, get in line app and ask questions. Everyone is pretty fun and helpful so far.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Sure, I'll give it a shot. In as DontMM.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Get on the line app. We have a bunch of people in there already, and quite a few are already pretty knowledgeable about the game.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
I've been playing this a few days, haven't done much aside from evolving my healer. Used to be a nun, female, but when I evolved her she turned into a dude who heals though the power of his handsomeness.

Just like me IRL

also my random archer dude evolved into a power ranger

I'll get on line later, reading this on my cell phone at work and trying to scan my phone screen with my phone is giving me warnings about destroying the universe.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sure why not.

I'm a sucker for these games.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

If you can't scan it search for the group Crusaders Quest! I'll accept you when you do

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Coldbird posted:

I've been playing this a few days, haven't done much aside from evolving my healer. Used to be a nun, female, but when I evolved her she turned into a dude who heals though the power of his handsomeness.

Just like me IRL

I'll get on line later, reading this on my cell phone at work and trying to scan my phone screen with my phone is giving me warnings about destroying the universe.

My archer turned into a furry. :(

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Yeah when you evolve a 1,2, or 3 star they turn into a random new character. Only 4* naturals and above will stay the same. The good thing is the first time you max level a character you get a gem. So every single portrait in the tome is basically a gem you can earn.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
Is this a game that requires rerolling at the beginning to get a good character?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Cruseydr posted:

Is this a game that requires rerolling at the beginning to get a good character?

No. Just play. Work on leveling characters to their max level, and then sell them for honor. Every time you level a character to max level you get a gem. That means you'll get a gem when you get a character to 1* level 10, 2* level 20, 3* level 30, and so on. Use your gems early for food to continue playing. That's what most people are doing and are having good success with it. When you evolve a character from 1* to 2*, it randomly changes into a different type. So early on you should be getting a good amount of gems.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
So if you're supposed to sell characters for honor, which ones should be actually kept?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is tough to say for sure. Get in line, there are some experienced people in there who can help.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Why am I downloading a separate app to chat? Seems dumb.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Because the game throws you into random channels, and if you get DC'd it throws you into another random channel. It would be better if you could designate a default channel that you always went into, but it doesn't.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 18, 2014

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Is there some weird reason why google play is saying it's not compatible with the nexus 4? It says it's fine with the nexus 7 and xiaomi 2s, but I don't carry those around with me

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!

Coldbird posted:

Just like me IRL

Screenshot/save the QR image and Line can pick it up later.

In as Buttsong

PVP is pretty lovely, every hour you can maybe win your first round for 2 honor and then be useless against teams of 3-4 stars. Maybe it gets better but right now the effort:reward ratio is pretty small.

Tequila fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 18, 2014

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Tequila posted:

Screenshot/save the QR image and Line can pick it up later.

In as Buttsong

PVP is pretty lovely, every hour you can maybe win your first round for 2 honor and then be useless against teams of 3-4 stars. Maybe it gets better but right now the effort:reward ratio is pretty small.

If you do well, the next battle is free. So once you get a good team rolling, you can chain rewards. Also, the fastest way to get honor is max your friends list. 50x3 honor daily adds up. We should get a google doc going to add friends.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
My healer turned into a chef, wearing a giant chef hat.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I'm really enjoying this game so far. It's quick and easy to play and the IAP doesn't seem too intrusive. From what I've read, it seems like you should be saving the gems for increasing your slots and for utility purposes rather than pulling and getting units that you can just grind up.

What are people running with? It seems like you really need a healer so starting out, so your choices seem limited to Leon (tank), healer and DPS.

GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!
Been playing since the Korean release, and I'll share my thoughts on the game:

Leon is all kinds of broken and powerful at 5*/6*; don't sell him early on and at 5* you can ride him into gold league easily along with two other trash 5*'s of your choosing.

Don't worry too much about honor and gold early on. Once you get into hardmode you can grind repeatables forever to get 10,000g and ~100 honor a pop.

Grinding boss stages drops bread much more frequently than normal stages.

Currently the Korean metagame "worth using/saving because they're better than equivalent 4*+ units of their same class" include:
Warrior: Leon, Joan of Arc
Paladin: Alexander, Kreimhild
Archer: Giparang, Hanzo, Sigruna
Hunter: D'Artagnan
Wizard: Korin, Sasquatch (this guy's attack is broken as all hell for pvp, enjoy stunning opposing Leons forever), Dorothy
Priest: Mew, Yeowoodang, WoompaWoompa (apparently he was bugged, not sure if it's fixed now), Nursespy

Obviously, take all tier lists with a grain of salt; any unit can be decently useful if equipped with a good weapon and breaded up sufficiently.

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

From what I can gather, nothing under 4* matters because everything randomly evolves into something else of the same class. Once you evolve a thing from 3* to 4* then it stays that thing until 6*.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

That's correct

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Can someone explain why I'm eating bread to train? Is it just giving me XP? I'm not sure what's going on in these games most of the time. I just got to the point where I could upgrade Leon so I'm playing this super casually. Currently running Leon, my Fox-archer, and a nun who I don't have enough honor to upgrade. There are too many drat resources. Honor, gems, gold, meat, bread...

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I'm about tapped out with Faraway, so I'm in as MrWedgie.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Cotato posted:

From what I can gather, nothing under 4* matters because everything randomly evolves into something else of the same class. Once you evolve a thing from 3* to 4* then it stays that thing until 6*.

Nothing but the "Legendary" type characters. There are one of each class, and they show up as prizes in the Ancient Dungeon, according to the Tome. Also, Leon is one.

Most of my Honor has come from sidequests. Is there a more consistent source available?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I finally got it to work! I'm in the LINE chat and my in-game name is GlaucuSA.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Qylvaran posted:

Nothing but the "Legendary" type characters. There are one of each class, and they show up as prizes in the Ancient Dungeon, according to the Tome. Also, Leon is one.

Most of my Honor has come from sidequests. Is there a more consistent source available?

That's not true. If you pull a natural 4*, when you evolve it, it moves to it's 5* form, it won't switch to another character.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Zotix posted:

That's not true. If you pull a natural 4*, when you evolve it, it moves to it's 5* form, it won't switch to another character.

How does that make what I said not true? I'm just saying that the Legendary cards start out at 1* and stick with one progression all the way to 6*. Everything else hops around types from 1* to 4*. Anyways, from the interface it looks like it doesn't matter whether you pull a 4* from a contract or promote one from a 3*, it will still be locked into a set 5* and 6* form.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Just the way that you replied to it I guess. You replied "nothing but the legendary characters", when he was talking about characters changing who they are when evolved. It's only 1-3*. Anyways no need to keep going with this. 1-3* naturals will change when they evolve, while 4-6* stay the same, the only exception to this rule are legendaries.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

This seems interesting. In as Kheldarn.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I meant "nothing under 4* but the legendary characters", but now I can see how it could have easily been interpreted the other way. Anyhow, I think we both understand how hero promotion works, and hopefully everyone else does, too.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
I'm just getting a black screen when I load the app now. Anyone have any ideas?

Damegane
May 7, 2013
I'm in as Damegane. Man, every resource you need for upgrading stuff comes in such short supply. Except for bread, but bread usage is limited by gold anyways.

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

IOS users might want to hold off on the new update today, it wiped my saved game data (and a couple of others on FB) even though I had the game synced to my Game Center account.

[edit] The emergency maintenance fixed it IGN: Conzai

Black Bo[X] fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 19, 2014

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
Is the Gacha only way to get Legendary heroes or does random switcheroo when leveling up include legendary heroes?

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!

Wassbix posted:

Is the Gacha only way to get Legendary heroes or does random switcheroo when leveling up include legendary heroes?

edit: my bad. read it wrong.

Suicide Pacmen fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 19, 2014

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Wassbix posted:

Legendary dungeon 20f. Two avail each week supposedly.

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

Looks like they changed some of the repeatable dungeon rewards to give out honour. Black and White 5 & 10 award 30/50 a pop. I'm sure there are higher level ones as well but I haven't cleared past stage 13.

GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!
Ugh, repeatable hardmode quests got nerfed hard from 10k gold to 4k. Hurray! More grinding!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
My Polar Archer Lady turned into Giparang and my god she is so good. Is the Jump from 3*-4* all so huge?

Also my Chef turn into a Reindeer man that heals by placing muscular statues of himself

• Locked thread