Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

quote:

The mission of the Blue Wizards was to travel to eastern lands occupied by Sauron, and help to foment unrest among his subject peoples. Whether they succeeded or not, even Tolkien was unsure, though he imagined that they had probably failed ('...I suspect they were founders or beginners of secret cults and 'magic' traditions that outlasted the fall of Sauron.' - The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, No 211, dated 1958).

basically they figured out pussy, wine, and weed owned and spent the rest of their lives living like cult leader rock stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Here are the parts that people think are bad but are actually good:

- The dishwashing song

- That part where the dwarf sticks his axe hands out of the barrell like an awesome barrel dwarf of doom

Here are the parts that are actually bad:

everything else.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Inevitable posted:

Here are the parts that people think are bad but are actually good:

- The dishwashing song

- That part where the dwarf sticks his axe hands out of the barrell like an awesome barrel dwarf of doom

Here are the parts that are actually bad:

everything else.

The dishwashing song isn't bad, but its execution is. Too cartoony, like everything else in these shitbag movies. I blame Legolas' scene with the oliphants in Return of the King.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
the only decent scene in the second one is with the munchkin and the wyrm, since it's pretty well verbatim from the book but it also sticks out like a sore thumb for this same reason

it's also amazing just how many scenes would be appropriately backed by yakety sax

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

The Protagonist posted:

the only decent scene in the second one is with the munchkin and the wyrm, since it's pretty well verbatim from the book but it also sticks out like a sore thumb for this same reason

it's also amazing just how many scenes would be appropriately backed by yakety sax

Kinda sorta verbatim ish, but still handled poorly compared to the old rankin bass cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWVeZx2IP30

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
why is the elf king's face all hosed up but hidden by magic

that is shown once and never touched on again

i hate these movies

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

End Of Worlds posted:

why is the elf king's face all hosed up but hidden by magic

that is shown once and never touched on again

i hate these movies

It's meant to explain the Elves hatred and fear of Smaug, but it kinda falls flat like everything else

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the extended edition of the first hobbit was real bad. layers upon layers of bad

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Blue Raider posted:

the extended edition of the first hobbit was real bad. layers upon layers of bad

The regular edition was unwatchable, so I don't know what you were expecting out of the extended edition.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
like adding a ton of stuff that's not in the books is totes fine in theory

but like could you maybe go with cool poo poo instead of like
dwarf romance

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

BLARGHLE posted:

The dishwashing song isn't bad, but its execution is. Too cartoony, like everything else in these shitbag movies. I blame Legolas' scene with the oliphants in Return of the King.

I don't mind the cartoony stuff because it's from a kid's book so it should be. The book was silly as gently caress. That said, I wouldn't mind if the movies went darker either.

Where the movies go wrong is that they have the silly cartoony poo poo right next to the grim dark violent poo poo and it makes for some pretty bad tonal whiplash. These movies are a cobbled together awkward mess.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

BLARGHLE posted:

The regular edition was unwatchable, so I don't know what you were expecting out of the extended edition.

you dont understand. the normal edition was mediocre to the extreme but the extended edition had a flashback within a flashback. let that sink in

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Let's hang out with Frodo for a while guys, remember him? Remember Frodo? Man it sure is good to see him again. Holy crap are we still with Frodo? Wow I thought we would've moved on to the actual story by now but I guess it was important to see him get the mail.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I'm going to get dragged to this by my friends and I'm going to hate every minute of it.

EDIT: My older brother loves the dwarf romance. :negative: :smithicide: :negative:

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Viridiant posted:

I don't mind the cartoony stuff because it's from a kid's book so it should be. The book was silly as gently caress. That said, I wouldn't mind if the movies went darker either.

Where the movies go wrong is that they have the silly cartoony poo poo right next to the grim dark violent poo poo and it makes for some pretty bad tonal whiplash. These movies are a cobbled together awkward mess.

They also completely remove any tension from every fight scene by just making it a bouncy slapstick mess. And yes, the tonal whiplash would be dizzying if they didn't set it up right in the very first scene of the very first movie. It's all bowls bouncing off of fat dwarven guts, and Thorin somberly singing a dirge for his dead kingdom before they can even get out of the first chapter.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm going to get dragged to this by my friends and I'm going to hate every minute of it.

EDIT: My older brother loves the dwarf romance. :negative: :smithicide: :negative:

Kill your friends, problem solved.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

its a shame about the guy that plays thorin. he kills it and is one of the few redeeming things about the trilogy

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

his performance deserved better

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Blue Raider posted:

his performance deserved better

Yeah, I guess he's not terrible, but the scene at the end of the first movie where he's like "Yeah, Bilbo, I totally thought you were a coward before, but you're cool with me now" is loving utter garbage alkja;lfkje;lijalk;bnio;asvrbljkewnlk;asoi;fjaewklr;jawkl;gnakljgnlkq;gfn al;nv;jaklefnoi3wnoaNKWEF

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

BLARGHLE posted:

Yeah, I guess he's not terrible, but the scene at the end of the first movie where he's like "Yeah, Bilbo, I totally thought you were a coward before, but you're cool with me now" is loving utter garbage alkja;lfkje;lijalk;bnio;asvrbljkewnlk;asoi;fjaewklr;jawkl;gnakljgnlkq;gfn al;nv;jaklefnoi3wnoaNKWEF

stuff like that and his dirge by the fire i chalk up to playing th hand hes dealt

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Blue Raider posted:

stuff like that and his dirge by the fire i chalk up to playing th hand hes dealt

To be fair, from what I have seen this whole thing is the poor hand dealt to Jackson when he just wanted to cash out. To be fair in another way, it feels like he went about this whole thing in the worst possible way, ignoring every lesson except for the very worst from the first trilogy.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
I dare you to say Doggle Durr with a straight face.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

BLARGHLE posted:

There's a Legolas scene that's even worse than the oliphaunt scene in this movie.

Not spoiling it tho

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Flowers For Algeria posted:

There's a Legolas scene that's even orse than the oliphaunt in this movie.

Not spoiling it tho

Yeah, everything Legolas and every other character does in a fight scene in these movies is awful, but I feel it all stems from that particular scene in Return of the King, or maybe even the siege in the Two Towers

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

I dare you to say Doggle Durr with a straight face.

Also, I already call my dogs "Doggles", so yeah, :downsrim:

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 17, 2014

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I was about to say the TT siege was pretty cool but then I remembered the shieldsurfing bit gently caress I'mma post the Frank clip again

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
The fuckin' barrel scene was what killed it for me.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

it wasnt the hour they spent dicking around in lake town?

that continuous shot in the barrel scene was kinda cool but yes it was generally poor

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Hobbit movies ruled.

Goons just gotta hate everything that's not king of the hill or home alone

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

When they open a LOTR theme park it'll make for a sweet ride though

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Blue Raider posted:

it wasnt the hour they spent dicking around in lake town?

By that point I was asleep. I woke up around the time Smaug showed up.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Hobbit movies ruled.

Goons just gotta hate everything that's not king of the hill or home alone

No, I just hate everything that is a nonsense action scene......honestly, I'm not sure how to describe it beyond that...somebody give me some better adjectives!

The dwarves go from being cowardly, greedy little men who rely on Bilbo for their very survival to being bumblingly heroic warriors who only rely on Bilbo incidentally.

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 17, 2014

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Parallax Scroll posted:

who the gently caress are the blue wizards

They learn how to cast spells by getting hit by them.

Inevitable posted:

- The dishwashing song

What kind of dumbass hates that? I wish the movies had more songs like in the books.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Unguided posted:

Holy poo poo yeah I had a Blue/Red guy, three Baangas all dual classed covering the full range a Double Ninja and a healin' dude we were unstoppable

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I called them the Baanga Bros

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Unguided posted:

What kind of dumbass hates that? I wish the movies had more songs like in the books.

I also wish the movies had more songs from the book, although after hearing what they did with Down, Down to Goblin Town in the extended edition; I don't trust them in the least.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
never let dwarves party at your joint.

just dont

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Nathilus posted:

never let dwarves party at your joint.

just dont

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oBvkWgzzOI&list=PLC00BB6EBF33B103C&index=11

Make a barbeque out of it

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
i grew up on the hobbit and the rankin bass cartoon version, and i gotta say

new hobbit movies own, but why the gently caress are there no 48fps blu-rays? these overdone unnecessary stupid films are way more worth watching in HFR-3d while stoned out of your gourd because then it's like some crazy overdone broadway show but BDs are stupid and all low frames and poo poo

extended version owns for goblin song too, bite me

smaug definitely sucked though i am not gonna argue that

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Dewgy posted:

i grew up on the hobbit and the rankin bass cartoon version, and i gotta say

new hobbit movies own, but why the gently caress are there no 48fps blu-rays? these overdone unnecessary stupid films are way more worth watching in HFR-3d while stoned out of your gourd because then it's like some crazy overdone broadway show but BDs are stupid and all low frames and poo poo

extended version owns for goblin song too, bite me

smaug definitely sucked though i am not gonna argue that

gently caress you to death, you traitorous dog. You have made an enemy this day, Dewgy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BLARGHLE posted:

gently caress you to death, you traitorous dog. You have made an enemy this day, Dewgy.

an enemy of the goblin song in any form is a an enemy I am proud to have!!!

• Locked thread