Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hakkesshu posted:

Is Misfits worth watching past series 3?

Yes. Rudy really comes into his own after season three and stops feeling like a substitute Nathan and the new probation worker is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I thought Heroes was rad when it first aired in Season 1.

I thought Season 2 was not as good but okay.

I never finished Season 3. Never started Season 4.

The thing about Heroes is just what other people have said. The writers had no idea what they were doing with the metaplot or even where they wanted to take any of the characters. A character like Peter didn't need his powers taken away - there's an easy story arc with the character who was so empathetic that it took on the powers from other people becoming detached from those same people due to the power he wields where he could lose those powers as he loses the empathy he has with them and then, y'know, can settle at a more reasonable level of protagonist.

Also, the fact that every season involved a prophecy of the future. It might have been interesting if the general idea was that stopping it only made it worse. Sure, you stop New York from exploding, but then there's a cataclysm for the whole US. Oh, you stopped that? Well, now it's the whole world. Something - anything - other than what we got. Heroes is probably the most disappointing TV series I've seen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the big problem with the constant prophecies was they were just too close to the "present" so the show ended up running into a lot of the dates they set for the future but there was no way that that future could have happened.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The first two episode set-up with Hiro seeing New York explode 31 days in the future and then ending the episode with him returning back to seconds after he departed was probably the single best set-up for a season I had seen at the time. It was so anti-LOST by basically telling us what was going to happen and WHEN it was going to happen that it basically blew most of us away. I still can't believe the writers that gave us that two episode opener when on to write Season 2 and 3.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Yes. Rudy really comes into his own after season three and stops feeling like a substitute Nathan and the new probation worker is great.

Yeah but then this guy came along and completely killed it all dead

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Valeyard posted:

Yeah but then this guy came along and completely killed it all dead

Finn was poo poo, but he didn't ruin the show.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Finn was great. The last few series were brilliant. Rudy definitely improved the show.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Golbez posted:

I don't understand why we need more Heroes. A better show has already been made. It's called Misfits Alphas and it was wonderful.

Fixed that for you. Alphas is a better comparison to Heroes than Misfits is and it's a shame that it got cancelled after it's second season.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Final episode of season 1 after all the setup and everything I was so hyped and so let down, I mean it's only a tv show so who cares but on the other hand squandering an opportunity to tell a really cool story by just taking a poo poo like they did...

And then I watched every episode after because I am a glutton for punishment. Misfits was great early on ("save me Barry!"), Alphas as well - I hope we get to see something that learns from all those shows but I don't see myself getting my hopes up (though they are bringing back the best character...)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gaunab posted:

Fixed that for you. Alphas is a better comparison to Heroes than Misfits is and it's a shame that it got cancelled after it's second season.

So, anybody remember the 4400? :v:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
One of the things I remember being the strangest was Nathan getting killed every single season. It's like the writing team hated Adrian Pasdar, wanting to write him out, but then they change their mind over and over again.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
The best part was when Nathan died, but came back for absolutely no reason at all. Even the writers later said "It was a miracle"

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

thanks alot assbag posted:

The best part was when Nathan died, but came back for absolutely no reason at all. Even the writers later said "It was a miracle"

Nathan died in every single season.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

bbf2 posted:

Nathan died in every single season.

Sounds like a superhero series to me.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

The difference is that in Breaking Bad they didn't decide to cockpunch the audience. If that same scenario happened in Heroes the gun would have ended up being a throwaway means to smuggle meth across the border and maybe once mentioned in passing or would have been a plastic toy for Junior.. Breaking Bad was very good at writing by the seat of its pants, but that is the exception, not the rule. And heroes was lazy even by some already lax standards.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is this a joke? They can't be rebooting heroes

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

The difference is that in Breaking Bad they didn't decide to cockpunch the audience. If that same scenario happened in Heroes the gun would have ended up being a throwaway means to smuggle meth across the border and maybe once mentioned in passing or would have been a plastic toy for Junior.. Breaking Bad was very good at writing by the seat of its pants, but that is the exception, not the rule. And heroes was lazy even by some already lax standards.

It wouldn't even have been that, it would just have been dropped and maybe there would have been an online tie-in comic laden with Nissan Versa ads featuring it.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Rocksicles posted:

Is this a joke? They can't be rebooting heroes

Been a thing for well over a year homie. This is actually the second thread discussing it since the announcement.

Shbobdb posted:

Breaking Bad was very good at writing by the seat of its pants

loving what

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I blocked out all things Heroes, i only caught this because it's been top of the first page.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kinda sad seeing so many people say they never watched season 4. Season 3 was ultimate bullshit but 4 was fairly good with the Evil Carnival led by T-Bag Magneto.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I bailed out of Heroes very early (end of season 2). Looks like I didn't miss out on much. I was so optimistic for most of season 1 though. Will probably watch out of masochistic curiosity, definitely keeping an eye on this thread. I kept reading the thread for The Following long after I stopped watching that mess of a TV show because it was so entertaining.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
This thread reminded me that Ali Larter for some reason had three roles in that trainwreck.

Thanks a lot you guys :mad:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nomapple posted:

I bailed out of Heroes very early (end of season 2). Looks like I didn't miss out on much. I was so optimistic for most of season 1 though. Will probably watch out of masochistic curiosity, definitely keeping an eye on this thread. I kept reading the thread for The Following long after I stopped watching that mess of a TV show because it was so entertaining.
You got out at the right time. I made it until a few episodes into the carnival season, and by then I was just done with it.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I quit watching when the guy with the glasses watched Sylar and Veronica Mars have sex before trying to kill them.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Martout posted:

This thread reminded me that Ali Larter for some reason had three roles in that trainwreck.

Thanks a lot you guys :mad:

I hope the new episodes introduce the final Ali Larter triplet!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I found it!

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-tobolowsky-files-ep-14-lost-in-act-1/

The Heroes stories start about 20 minutes in, but I recommend listening to the whole thing anyway because he tells stories quite well. The Heroes story provides a hilarious insight into how convoluted the show's development process was. I might have oversold the bit about them almost killing him (I think it may have been a different show/story where that happens), but the story he told around that was pretty cute too.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

You dumb or just tasteless? Breaking Bad is widely recognized as one of the best shows ever created!

Polkergeist
Sep 2, 2011
Zachary Levi (from "Chuck") cast as the lead! http://tvline.com/2015/01/16/zachary-levi-heroes-reborn-cast-nbc/

This is fantastic news. :getin:

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

precision posted:

Kinda sad seeing so many people say they never watched season 4. Season 3 was ultimate bullshit but 4 was fairly good with the Evil Carnival led by T-Bag Magneto.

Yeah nothing more sad than people who don't have an infinite amount of free time to stick around waiting to see what happens to the show that was getting exponentially worse with each season

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Polkergeist posted:

Zachary Levi (from "Chuck") cast as the lead! http://tvline.com/2015/01/16/zachary-levi-heroes-reborn-cast-nbc/

No, they won't get me again. I remember getting pumped about Kristen Bell being cast in the original show. Surely she did such a good job on Veronica Mars there's no way they can make a fuckup out of it on this show!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Are the same creators and writers team involved (or any subset of them)?
Because if they are, I'm staying far away from this.

And yeah, I agree that Heroes had almost one good season (the first one minus its finale) but what really ticked me was how hosed up that second season was; so many pointless stories and characters and at least one thread left tangling unresolved because the writers strike happened and instead of providing some closure in the next season/chapter, basically Kring decided that gently caress all viewers of his lovely series.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Polkergeist posted:

Hmmm this is...interesting. He looks like a Sylar

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zachary Quinto has confirmed that he isn't returning so the whole thing is just extra pointless now.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

muscles like this? posted:

Zachary Quinto has confirmed that he isn't returning so the whole thing is just extra pointless now.

To be honest, that's for the best. Sylar is one of the reasons that show went to poo poo. Quinto is a good actor, but he should have only been in one season.

I hope the Sylar character does not return. He's just be there killing people we don't know to get powers we don't care about because he can't kill the main characters.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I almost think the only one that would be worth coming back is Noah anyway. I try to think which characters I'd like to see that didn't turn out to be terrible, like say Mohinder, but then I realize even he had his face/heel turn for no good reason. Hiro is just overblown by this point into a stereotypical nerd catchphrase generator, and Masi Oka is a regular on Hawaii 5-0 anyway. I think you've done literally everything you could even hope (or fear) with the Petrelli family. Nobody wants to see another Niki clone...though I'm sure the execs are thinking "Hey, everybody likes that clone show Orphan Black, don't we got one of those?"

I could go on. Basically they kinda need to burn it and start over.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would bring back HRG but that's it. They ruined or used up the other characters past the point of return.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's just, how can they bring back Noah as a main character and then never do anything with Claire ever again. I really think they should just wipe the slate clean.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Hakkesshu posted:

It's just, how can they bring back Noah as a main character and then never do anything with Claire ever again. I really think they should just wipe the slate clean.

How about Noah and The Hatian doing an Xfiles type thing.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

They can just reference her (e.g. she's at a peace conference in Switzerland) and then move on with Noah's story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Heroes is big into alternate timelines. What if they just did one where HRG never received Claire? Loyal company man through and through.

• Locked thread