Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I hate to say it, but Season 1's huge success killed the longevity of the show. Tim Kring wanted to have a different cast for each season, but everyone loved most of the characters from Season 1 so he had to bring them back. It really got ridiculous with how they insisted on not killing off characters when they had clearly run out of things for them to do (Hiro being the most egregious example). Instead they solved their problems with characters losing their powers, or getting new ones, or getting amnesia, which is textbook bad writing.

I really have no idea why they thought bringing back four? different versions of Ali Larter's character was a good idea. She's walking cardboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

You can blame a lot of the problems on the producers literally making everything up as they went along, since they admitted there was no long-term plan. They retcon their own mythos several times over by the end.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

A big problem was the various writers not working together/actively working against each other. Like how for a season Parkman left his wife to shack up with another powered person but then someone else comes along, kills her off and writes him getting back together with his wife. Or the abortive Claire as nerd fantasy, with a nerd boyfriend and working at a comic shop, another plotline that was quickly dropped.
Or the need to have flashback episodes to explain EVERYTHING about the backstories of certain characters. Particularly the Sylar ones that keep retconning his own origin.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nomapple posted:

I bailed out of Heroes very early (end of season 2). Looks like I didn't miss out on much. I was so optimistic for most of season 1 though. Will probably watch out of masochistic curiosity, definitely keeping an eye on this thread. I kept reading the thread for The Following long after I stopped watching that mess of a TV show because it was so entertaining.
You got out at the right time. I made it until a few episodes into the carnival season, and by then I was just done with it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I would bring back HRG but that's it. They ruined or used up the other characters past the point of return.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

NBC aired a teaser during the Super Bowl earlier that had HRG in it, so there's your first returning character

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Firstborn posted:

I'm confused. Okay, we got Horn-Rimmed Glasses guy coming back. He's pretty much the best dude anyway. Is it all new characters, or just all new actors playing the old characters?
I'm pretty confident it's mostly new characters years later.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I guess we have to assume that they are going to follow the end of the last season where the public became fully aware that there are people with powers? I guess if you go into the future a bit that could be interesting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

I was cautiously optimistic about this until I found out that Kring is still in charge of the writers room, and that they actually reached out to Quinto to get him to come back. I even liked that teaser, but the fact that at one point they were trying to get Sylar back really suggests that they have no idea what they're doing.
It's not a good sign. Like I get bringing HRG back since he's a major part of the mythology, but what is Sylar going to do at this point? Like most of the other characters he was used up by the end.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

Best thing to do would be to have the first few minutes of the new season be a re-edited version of the season 1 finale, only Sylar dies. That leaves that entire season wrapped up nicely, and we can just move onto HRG and Levi doing their thing.
That and actually have the fight that we were promised between Sylar and Peter.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I doubt any planning advanced beyond 'we want to have a new cast', since the show took off pretty quickly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Super Dude posted:

I can't believe I'm getting pulled into this show again. The same thing happened when they brought back 24. :(
The return of 24 was good though?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Eh, I think it was much better being 10 episodes, so they cut out a lot of the awful filler side plots that only existed to pan runtime (see: Kim and the Cougar, and Jack's wife getting amnesia).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That's peak NBC though. They love bringing back failures to run their shows or network

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That whole thing where the fans pointed out to Kring that he stranded Peter's Irish girlfriend in that dystopian future, which was never followed up on.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just to troll the fans, Caitlyn or whoever should just randomly return from the dystopian future.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Valeyard posted:

There's been some lovely minor casting recently that wasn't worth posting. But..

http://deadline.com/2015/03/masi-oka-cast-heroes-reborn-hiro-nakamura-1201400097/

:flashfap:
Of all of the characters I feel like this is the one that they didn't need to bring back the most, except for maybe Ali Larter's million characters.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It really started to enter parody by the end.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That's especially funny since she's not involved.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

What else can they really do with him? They've already done the 'discovers powers thing', and the 'loses powers' thing. The character's not that interesting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Wonder if the miniseries will have enough time for Kring to meltdown again?
It's already happening, look at the cast

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There was so little cohesive vision on the show. Nearly in every episode something from previous ones was ignored.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ThaGrandCow posted:

There's a 4th identical twin that the story has never mentioned!
You know Kring would totally do that if the actress signed on. He already pulled that once.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is going to be a glorious trainwreck

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It certainly seems like it's heading in that direction.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Still no Ando or Peter

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Did anyone else make it through the fourth season with the carnival dude and the deaf lady who could make energy with her violin or something? I made it through, but can't for the life of me remember a single drat thing that happened aside from the things mentioned in this post.
I made it maybe 6 episodes. After reading the description of how that storyline continued, I don't regret it at all.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Brock Samson posted:

stop my sides i cant
That's so bad it's amazing.

And I guess they are already revealing that Claire gets killed sometime after she posts that video online.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

I like when JJ Abrams was casting his first Star Trek movie, the Ando actor was up for the role of Sulu, but they didn't want to take two actors away from Heroes. Hard to think that was once something that concerned people.

Actually I think Greg Gruneberg was in a deleted scene in the 2009 Trek movie, too.
He was Kirk's stepfather. You can hear his voice at one point when Kirk takes his car for a joyride.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Total Nonstop Ando
(Ando Not Included)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Two Heroes Reborn video games are being released to coincide with the show's premiere. They will serve as prequels to the series, filling in at least some of the 5 year gap in time between the last season of regular Heroes and the new show.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/08/2-heroes-reborn-games-will-act-as-prequels-to-the-show?abthid=559d8c1dbf3066b00f00000b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Chakotay and Seven on the last episode of Voyager for no reason

• Locked thread