Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tiggum posted:

In fact, why are they calling this new show Heroes? Why not just say "Hey, it's a new super hero show, and we've got that one guy people actually liked from Heroes back to play a similar character."

AFAIK its not actually a new series and is just a mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing I never liked about Heroes was the reveal that people have had superpowers throughout history but nobody knows about it because for some reason every single time someone gets powers they hide them. It worked a lot better back in the beginning of the first season when they let you think it was a new thing.

Remember how the characters all got their powers from the eclipse, except they didn't and some had them all along? Then in a later season everyone lost their powers during another eclipse? And how neither event was every explained at all?

Or the broken helix symbol that showed up everywhere in the first season that they also never really explained, other than it was the logo of a company that Papa Petrelli ran.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A big problem was the various writers not working together/actively working against each other. Like how for a season Parkman left his wife to shack up with another powered person but then someone else comes along, kills her off and writes him getting back together with his wife. Or the abortive Claire as nerd fantasy, with a nerd boyfriend and working at a comic shop, another plotline that was quickly dropped.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hiro's powers would be fine if he was the main character that the show followed around all the time. Then you could do stuff like turn him into a Dr Who knock off. Or they could have had Hiro address the audience through Ando by explaining that yes, his powers could solve most problems but life comes through struggle and trying, not just fixing everything instantly.

They could have done an episode at the end of a season revealing that Hiro has actually been working in the background, letting people fix their own problems but correcting things if they got too bad, basically acting like a safety net.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the big problem with the constant prophecies was they were just too close to the "present" so the show ended up running into a lot of the dates they set for the future but there was no way that that future could have happened.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zachary Quinto has confirmed that he isn't returning so the whole thing is just extra pointless now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That is an extremely lovely teaser.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

I was just thinking the other day about how popular Masi Oka got thanks to Heroes (mainly season one) and then just had his career completely dry up once the show vanished. At least Sylar and Hayden Panetierre were able to springboard from Heroes.

Isn't he actually a special effects artist and the acting stuff just a side project for him?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

To be fair, Masi Oka isn't really lead caliber.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing that bugs me about Nathan is how quickly he ditches his wife and kids to hang out with Claire.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

Not one part of it loving happens or even comes close to loving happening

That was their issue with every single bad future they showed. None of them ever seemed anywhere near close to happening.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She's busy ruining another show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Then the series ended with Claire demonstrating her power live on nationwide TV.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

How? They already showed that pretty much nothing can actually kill her. Maybe being burned to ash but other than that she'd just regenerate.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pan Dulce posted:

Someone catch me up. What the gently caress did Claire do to make everything hunky-dory to make Evos and Humans all hippy happy together?

She's the one who exposed everything to the world.

Also I can't take this guy seriously after his Adult Swim show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is kind of goofy that it took this long for someone to come up with a name for people with powers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did anyone else check the screen from Primatech to see if they recognized any names? I saw Micah on there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AbstractNapper posted:

So they are just continuing in the same universe, right? I mean, they dumped all but one (or few) from the old cast, and probably are going to have some guests later on, but this looks like the same garbage with a new cast, trying to fit in an explanation of why the old ones got wiped out.

More people from the old cast are going to start trickling in over the series as Hiro and Parkman still need to show up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

precision posted:

edit: thought Claire's Lesbian Roommate was kinda stupid, but not stupid like "let's use a great character actor for Sylar's dad and then have him appear in like two scenes ever and do nothing"

He was originally going to be the big bad of that volume, until Fuller came back and reminded them that they had literally just got done with that plot with Papa Petrelli.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

They stole this from House of Cards.

Heroes was doing it like that back in its original run.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

Random related comic's question: Has there ever been a comic with the cliche of people suddenly getting powers for some purpose and have it turn out that these powers were in fact a curse, and everyone used them in terrible manners?

I want to see a super-universe where the people hating those with powers are kind of justified by the fact most of them are actually horrible bastards.

Not a comic but Brandon Sanderson has a book series where people start getting superpowers out of nowhere and it turns them into complete dicks. The powered people conquer the world and carve it up into their little fiefdoms while the main character works for a resistance that fights back.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Those googles look really stupid.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, while burning down his house may be cathartic it sure was a dick move considering how close his neighbors were.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

His thing is he doesn't just play a nerd on TV, he is one in real life.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

precision posted:

remember when the show said the powers came from an eclipse

Even though a lot of people had powers before the eclipse, including Nathan who just happened to get them like six months before.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, if I could make copies of myself I would make sure to not actually go places myself.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Then he goes straight to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I thought was funny is that he somehow tied his hair in a ponytail between leaving the present and arriving in the past.

Also my big question is did HRG and Hiro actually ever interact in the original series because I don't remember their paths crossing. Certainly not enough for the "old friend" treatment.

• Locked thread