Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Here's some stuff Stephen Tobolowsky said about his time on Heroes; it's pretty hilarious: http://www.avclub.com/article/stephen-tobolowsky-59769

I'd much rather link his podcast, in which he may (or may not) have had even more to say about Heroes, but I'm afraid I don't remember which installment it was in. If anyone wants to find it, the podcast is here (it's a great podcast)

As I recall, in the specific episode of the podcast I'm thinking of, he talked about how Heroes nearly literally killed him.

Argue fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

From what I can remember, it had to do with a horseback accident he had. The doctor said he had to keep his neck as still as possible and not turn it a lot, or his neck would break and kill him. Having been informed of this at length, the Heroes crew then kept asking him to do stuff that he really just shouldn't. I don't remember if they actually went forward with filming those or if it only got as far as him refusing to film them.

(Incidentally, this is also the same reason Stephen Tobolowsky holds Dan Harmon and Community in high regard; when he told them about it, they wrote around his limitations because they really wanted him to play that guest role and he said it made him feel useful again :unsmith:)

Edit: Oh, that Community tidbit seems to be unrelated to the horseback riding accident; it was a different medical thing that happened years later, which sounds about right timing-wise.

Argue fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 1, 2015

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I found it!

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-tobolowsky-files-ep-14-lost-in-act-1/

The Heroes stories start about 20 minutes in, but I recommend listening to the whole thing anyway because he tells stories quite well. The Heroes story provides a hilarious insight into how convoluted the show's development process was. I might have oversold the bit about them almost killing him (I think it may have been a different show/story where that happens), but the story he told around that was pretty cute too.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's peak NBC though. They love bringing back failures to run their shows or network

Cool, maybe that means we can get another season of Journeyman :(

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Reminder that Tim Kring thought it was a good idea to use Scrum, an Agile workflow used by software engineers, to plan seasons. What does this mean? Well, basically, it means that at any given point, they were never planning any more than 4 episodes at a time.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

No, he got cured by the Catalyst from Hiro's mom which was the ingredient needed to perfect the power formula and also I remember way more about this show than any person ever should.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

My favorite part of this episode was how the unpowered guy spent several minutes smashing a glass case, getting his friend killed in the process, while the kid with the power to go through walls and take anything with him stood there watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Nathan is his grandfather. Even if the Hammer was Nathan, none of this, fortunately, will ever matter again!

• Locked thread