Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think it's the only Russell Crowe movie that I've ever really enjoyed.

Also one of the best duel movies ever made.

This guy:

versus this guy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Professor Shark posted:

I think it's the only Russell Crowe movie that I've ever really enjoyed.

Russell Crowe was in L.A. Confidential hope that helps

also, Virtuosity

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
ya it's pretty awesome op

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Atoramos posted:

Russell Crowe was in L.A. Confidential hope that helps

also, Virtuosity

poo poo you're right, LA Con was also great.

I think I like this one a little bit more, less Kevin Spacey.

big dig
Sep 11, 2001

Cowboys > Ninjas

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
had enough commanding but not enough conquering

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4PzpxOj5Cc

But it had weevils!

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
actually it blows compared to the books gg

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

as if you know how to read

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
whoever wins, we lose

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Yeah I think I'll pick up the first book of the series, I've heard that they're great.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Seriously one of the greatest movies ever and the best thing about it is not a single goddamn insufferable female talks at all in this film. Literally it is 100% men the entire time I mean that is the kind of movie for me.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
It's like Pride and Prejudice but with the rum, sodomy and floggings toned down a bit.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
Actions scenes were good but the plot tended to drag on various places.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Seriously one of the greatest movies ever and the best thing about it is not a single goddamn insufferable female talks at all in this film. Literally it is 100% men the entire time I mean that is the kind of movie for me.

"insert semen joke here"

Same reason "The Thing" was such a great movie as well.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I thought it was cool how Russell Crowe was a teacher for the 10-12 year old "officers" on the ship during the down time.

Also, Russell Crowe has a smirk on his face for 95% of the movie. He's having such a good time doing what he loves :)

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I was sort of hoping that this movie would have more ship fight scenes than primitive surgery scenes and boring bitching scenes but I guess it's a delicate balance (no its not lol)

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Smashurbanipal posted:

It's like Pride and Prejudice but with the rum, sodomy and floggings toned down a bit.

A lot of people compare the author to a male Jane Austen.

just finished the 20th book in the series not long ago. highly recommend it, much better than the movie.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I literally walked out of the theater halfway through because I was so bored. It turned out p okay because I went into Tupac: Resurrection and that was good

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

RaySmuckles posted:

Actions scenes were good but the plot tended to drag on various places.

This also describes what it's like reading the books v. well, lol

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The actual best fight scene in the entire series is in Book Three, H.M.S. Surprise, and I recommend starting with that one (you can basically pick up any of them and start there at least before #15)

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
The books are great. The last, maybe not so much for me, anyway. But the movie wasn't bad at all. The story seemed a little… I dunno, truncated/rushed? Like they just took the middle section out of one of the books and just filmed that.

I wish they'd make another movie. I'd crack on like smoke and oakum to go see it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The movie was a pretty awesome slice of life and look into their lives and whatnot. Awesome movie.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
basically thr books are kind of like the money only longer. sometimes theres cool huge battles, and sometimes its like the characters struggling w/ alcoholism and money problems on land

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Also something they don't even mention in the movie is that Stephen is an intelligence operative and there's also a lot of spy stuff going on, esp. book five mostly takes place in Boston during the War of 1812 and there's lots of espionage and murder and it's awesome

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's the greatest Star Trek movie ever made. I really get the sense that the tone and feel of this movie is what Wrath of Khan was aiming for.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GNT1xQs-KcA

Kirk & Spock would be proud.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

Also something they don't even mention in the movie is that Stephen is an intelligence operative and there's also a lot of spy stuff going on, esp. book five mostly takes place in Boston during the War of 1812 and there's lots of espionage and murder and it's awesome

I knew that he was a spy from reading wikipedia and paid special attention to it while I watched it today.

Early in the movie when the French frigate just happens to show up behind them out of nowhere Stephen remarks that the French have spies everywhere... just like England.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Book 3 and 5 were easily my favorites but I enjoyed them all. At least up through around 12 after which I mostly kept going just because I was more than halfway through.

That said Bonden should have gone out way better than he did.

The film is a weird kind of mishmash of plots from a few different books but I still love it and rewatch it often.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Frosted Flake posted:

It's the greatest Star Trek movie ever made. I really get the sense that the tone and feel of this movie is what Wrath of Khan was aiming for.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GNT1xQs-KcA

Kirk & Spock would be proud.

I remember hearing Wrath of Khan was supposed to be Horatio Honblower in space so basically yes

I liked the Hornblower books how does this series compare?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
the only thing i remember from this film is the "lesser of two weevils" joke

Noah was good

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Mange Mite posted:

I liked the Hornblower books how does this series compare?

You'll enjoy them. I actually read the Aubrey/Maturin books first and kinda burned out trying to go straight into Hornblower afterwards and only made it through a few. It's been a few years so I should give the unfortunately named captain another go.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i dont read but i am proud to post on a forum among people that do or are good at pretending to

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Quickscope420dad posted:

Noah was good

You don't remember the cringeworthy second rate Darwin subplot?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Never seen it, gonna watch it at the weekend now thanks to this thread and especially the bit about no girls being in it. I miss those films.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
isnt Maturin a disgusting skeeze in the books? i remember something about him hiding food under his wig

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
it's got a one arm kid shootng a guy in the face

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Quickscope420dad posted:

god drat it that was my party joke before the film, no-one had ever heard it and it's such a terrible joke. now everyone thinks i got it from the film.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
THE BETTER OF TWO WEEVILS HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah I think I'll pick up the first book of the series, I've heard that they're great.

If you like cross-referencing naval terms you're gonna be a big fan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Cavaradossi posted:

god drat it that was my party joke before the film, no-one had ever heard it and it's such a terrible joke. now everyone thinks i got it from the film.
use escargot as your go-to bad joke you cannot lose

• Locked thread