Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Isn't things what we call negotiating, ask for the moon and get something reasonable. You know the thing DnD has been dating Obama should have been doing with Republicans since day one, yet can't seem to see when another countries leader does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KomradeX posted:

Isn't things what we call negotiating, ask for the moon and get something reasonable. You know the thing DnD has been dating Obama should have been doing with Republicans since day one, yet can't seem to see when another countries leader does it.

That is what I was thinking. It sounds like he knows its something he won't get, but it might get him something lesser...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah this is just negotiating. I mean just the other day Fidel himself publicly stated his desire for normalization.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

That is what I was thinking. It sounds like he knows its something he won't get, but it might get him something lesser...

I think it's just something to make giving back Gitmo more palatable. Or maybe some kind of domestic cover to cash those back rent checks from the State Department

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

KomradeX posted:

I think it's just something to make giving back Gitmo more palatable. Or maybe some kind of domestic cover to cash those back rent checks from the State Department

The U.S. leased Gitmo from Cuba for like $3,000 a year in 1903 and it is not indexed to inflation. Every single check since Castro came to power combined would be worth about $100k.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

KomradeX posted:

That money might go part ways to cleaning up Cuba's 50 years of landmines around the base. Although they'd probably need international assistance to do it since the chance they still know where any of those mines are is essentially nil.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 29, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

As an American, it's fascinating to watch people demonize Cuba for having the nerve to resent the presence of an American military base. Both because of the wild hypocrisy and because I can remember feeling the same way myself. Natural instinct when you grow up assuming American power is essentially Good.

It's not even like we nurtured a Hong Kong there, for christ's sake, it's a military installation. How much resistance might be coming from the prospect of losing the convenient legal limbo of the detention center? Within the US political elite, anyway.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It's literally illegal under US law to spend a single dollar bringing a guantanamo detainee back to the United States (passed by Congress to prevent Obama from closing it) so we can't give it back until that's repealed or we manage to get every remaining prisoner taken by someone else.

It has been a long time since anyone needed the base and we mostly just kept it because "why the hell would we give a military base to some communists?"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

evilweasel posted:

It's literally illegal under US law to spend a single dollar bringing a guantanamo detainee back to the United States (passed by Congress to prevent Obama from closing it) so we can't give it back until that's repealed or we manage to get every remaining prisoner taken by someone else.

It has been a long time since anyone needed the base and we mostly just kept it because "why the hell would we give a military base to some communists?"

Why not kill two birds with one stone and give Guantanamo Bay back on the condition that Cuba accept all remaining prisoners?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I don't know if the Cubans would be more likely to shoot them or send them home.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Why not kill two birds with one stone and give Guantanamo Bay back on the condition that Cuba accept all remaining prisoners?

Nobody would take that deal. Cuba enjoys a good reputation around the world and that would be a great way to gently caress it up, no matter what they did with the prisoners it would piss somebody off.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Nobody would take that deal. Cuba enjoys a good reputation around the world and that would be a great way to gently caress it up, no matter what they did with the prisoners it would piss somebody off.

Turning them into productive good honest citizens would be fine for Cuba. And if they wanted to leave, well, wet foot dry foot is just 90 miles away.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

evilweasel posted:

I'm not aware of anything legal preventing us from just not detaining them, obviously I understand it would look bad politically. I suppose the law might say "current or former", but that seems like a dick move.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I wonder how long it'll be before MLB does some barnstorming.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

sullat posted:

Turning them into productive good honest citizens would be fine for Cuba. And if they wanted to leave, well, wet foot dry foot is just 90 miles away.

Hence why the deal would be unacceptable to the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sullat posted:

There are actually some prisoners the US wants to keep and would gladly keep on US soil if it weren't for Congress literally banning them from doing so.

• Locked thread