Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
This will be great if this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Still higher approval rating that Bush, for fucks sake.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

I think it's safe to say the embargo is staying, for now.

We'll see, I think its just talk and it'll go through anyways.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

Rubio is saying they're going to petulantly refuse to confirm an ambassador or approve funds for an embassy:

They said that about his nominee for Surgeon General, and while maybe Ebola pushed it through, I doubt they really would've given in unless it was just a show for constituents.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Amused to Death posted:

So many how goons have defended the government of Cuba so far?

Also since the government is already funded for next year, do Republicans have any actual leverage in blocking funds for the embassy? Is there any discretionary money in the state department budget Obama can move around?

More blocking appointments is what they are threatening to do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zeitgueist posted:

They both should be. It's just fun to compare US criticisms and justification for a outdated and ridiculous policy.

Lots of countries do terrible poo poo, many way worse than Cuba. We don't embargo them. Lots of times we actively support them.

That is what I never understood: Why we embargo Cuba but actively support way way worse countries.

Unless its just hurt feelings from the Cuban Missile Crisis and Bay of Pigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KomradeX posted:

Isn't things what we call negotiating, ask for the moon and get something reasonable. You know the thing DnD has been dating Obama should have been doing with Republicans since day one, yet can't seem to see when another countries leader does it.

That is what I was thinking. It sounds like he knows its something he won't get, but it might get him something lesser...

• Locked thread