Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Solkanar512 posted:

New official drink of D&D:

Havana Club is a legit rum. It's easily the best in its price range and it boggles my mind that you yanks don't have it readily available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Majorian posted:

I'm glad he did this, but UMAP is still a pretty black mark on his legacy.

Hahaha Fidel is the worst boogeyman

"Draconian labour camps! Yes!"

*three years pass*
"Ah, hell, my heart just isn't in it, abolish that poo poo"

as authoritarian rulers go, he's one of the best

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mans posted:

Wait, why does opening Rum markets to the U.S. will risk an increase in price and decline in quality? It's a Cuban-French enterprise.

Or is there a risk that American capital might stick their dick in them and pollute Havana Club with the insultingly bad quality that is characteristic of American booze?

I was going to rebut this with some quality American liquor, and realised that I literally couldn't think of a single good American liquor

some bourbons, i guess?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Realtalk Cuba is a good country by a lot of metrics for its area and history. It's still got tons of trouble with all kinds of fun semi-command-economy things, and it generally can't compete with major "Western" countries. The reason that Castro tends to get lionised is because his administration has managed, through extremely adverse conditions, to provide a real-world example of a tough and not completely dysfunctional non-capitalist economy (also no doubt some "no, gently caress you dad"-ism, but eh).

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

whitey delenda est posted:

Evan Williams bourbon, many things Sazerac makes, for sure. A lot of other mass produced bourbons are no longer owned by an "American" company.

And yes the addition of a U.S. Sized demand pool to the market for Havana club could probably really gently caress up their production, although Pernod would probably be able to step up.

Four Roses is pretty good afair, that's American, right?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

That's, like, twenty years ago, dude, the country is (to many people's great surprise) still running and still way ahead of regional averages in some p. important metrics

like, I can respect the sentiment that this does not make the whole "repression" thing OK, but it's really not that controversial

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Is there a good account of that mess anywhere, by the way? I never really understood that part of the Cuban revolution - I've been under the impression that it was more or less the standard post-victory power struggle that got even nastier than normal, is this accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

HorseLord posted:

Well, he said a bunch of outright lies fed to him by his generic cuban expat community, things we know are false because Cuba is a country people can go to very easily, including people who do fun stuff like compile evidence and statistics and poo poo. So I'm not going to believe anything else he said, either.

you seem like a very pleasant, fun person to be around, just thought you should know that

• Locked thread