Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
If I were in the "gently caress-it" stage of the presidency that Obama's in, this is exactly what I would do. Look at the half-assed, partisan complaints from people like Menendez. There just aren't that many cold-warriors left, and yet that's the only demographic that these conservatives can think to appeal to.

Exactly what could Obama do that would even approach, let alone reach the levels of treason and anti-American destruction he's accused of, accusations that a significant part of the US electorate believes? poo poo, at this point, he can write executive orders on immigration, normalize relations with Cuba, and do just about anything else the executive branch can do, and still not be as much of a comical bogeyman as he's been made out to be. Here's hoping for more angry Obama unilateral action in the face of a lovely congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ohjoshdarnit posted:

So I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on why Obama is doing this now. Sure they said to help the people but they've needed help for a while. Coincidentally Russia is reaching out to North Korea today to invite their leader for a visit. Is the U.S. cozying up to Cuba to send Russia a message? With Russia's economy not doing great the U.S. is a more attractive friend to have.

I speculate that Obama is going to use his last two years to troll the poo poo out of our do-nothing Congress. At this point, having been called every name in the book, there's almost nothing they can do against him. With immigration, and now with Cuba, his office has looked at the optics and polling on these issues, found the majority of the population to be in favor, and he's just going out on the limb and making the poo poo happen. Really, what does he have to lose, and what does he have to gain? He can't get any less popular with the Teapublican crowd, but he can sure as hell score points against them. On the other hand, he has always had an eye to the historicity of his presidency, and I imagine that this is just the first of a series of executive moves where he is simply going to checkmate the Republican congress.

Think of it this way: SOMEONE's going to have to be the first president or administration to clean out the closet on things like immigration and Cuba. Since he has already been accused of dictatorial, kinglike behavior, why not live up to the accusation, but do things that are popular among a majority of Americans? Why not get revenge and make terrible fools of the people who have tried to make a mockery of your administration to the detriment of the American people? Why not take the credit for being the man who fixed immigration, or ended the Cuba embargo?

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

Maarek posted:

I speculate that Obama is going to use his last two years to sign a bunch of horribly regressive bills that come out of the Republican congress in a desperate attempt to make his legacy that of a 'bi-partisan compromiser'. Sort of like how he was whipping Democratic congressmen to pass the piece of poo poo spending bill while they still controlled the senate.

There's good enough reason to believe that would be true as well. I'm certainly not going to argue with that. We'll see what happens; maybe I'm just caught up in a little bit of unwarranted enthusiasm here.

• Locked thread