Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Rubio has also vowed that Congress will not lift the embargo, so look for that to be an issue in 2016.

I wonder if he's getting ahead of himself out of his own ambitions. The embargo is broadly unpopular, even among many republicans, and even in a congress that has been incredibly petty and vindictive, scuttling this is going to look and play poorly. I don't doubt there will be those who try, but I get the feeling Rubio isn't speaking for as much of his party as he thinks he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

That's a good point, I'm not seeing anyone but Rubio running their mouth on the Republican side yet. However given this Congress I wonder if the mere fact that Obama normalized relations will be enough to make it popular enough it survives until at least 2016. No Republicans in Congress are really eager to support anything related to Obama.

I think what it will probably come down to is if the leadership and the business & money wing of the party support it. They can lose the culture warriors and no-to-everything-Obama people and still pass it with democrat support as long as Boehner and McConnell are willing to appease the money set.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I almost wonder if he's a fictional non-Gross so everyone can save face. How firm is it that Gross wasn't actually a spy?

Whatever group he was with had something to do with USAID, and they've got a few marks on their record, I recall.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

I think it's safe to say the embargo is staying, for now.

Doesn't look positive, but I'm not ready to put a nail in it until there's been time for everyone with a potential financial stake in it to do their thing.

Also,

quote:

“We have a Cuban-American expert, Marco Rubio..."

:laffo:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

PT6A posted:

gently caress Marco Rubio sideways, there's no way Alan Gross is an "innocent American" as he claims. I've been to Cuba around 10 times now, the customs form always seems to change, but the one thing it has been clear about for as long as I can remember is that you must not bring any satellite communications devices into Cuba, and there's a bunch more stuff you cannot bring in and leave in Cuba as well. Alan Gross can say what he likes, but he'd have to be illiterate or terminally stupid to not know what he was doing was illegal and would be seen as spying.

You can certainly argue that what he was doing shouldn't be illegal, but that doesn't make him innocent. I'm also suspicious of his motives.

He knew exactly what he was doing and he had the backing of the US government to do it. It may not have been cloak and dagger stuff, but it was espionage all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

This appears to have been the 'intelligence asset' -

And that's another thing. We've known about this other mystery person since yesterday but all these assholes keep saying is "a bloo bloo bloo nasty old Obama is trading dangerous criminal terrorist spies back to them for one innocent aid worker". It's a bog standard spy swap.

• Locked thread