Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
Seriously, open sans was great why was i not consulted on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

the goal is to make things as difficult to read as possible

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the new font owns. be a man and accept that, op

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
A/B testing is for shitlords, everything should be based on one persons personal preference

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

what are you talking about it looks normal to me

AAAAAAAA BBBBBBBBBBBBB CCCCCCCCCCC

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

uG posted:

A/B testing is for shitlords, everything should be based on one persons personal preference

wut

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I seriously cannot tell any difference.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I seriously cannot tell any difference.

u prob r tard

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

gettin mad about fonts is pretty r tard so let's have a tard party

Anorexic Robot
Nov 11, 2012
maybe if it was a little skinnier.... maybe an Anorexic Roboto font?

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lowtax asked all the people who matter and did a test/feedback cycle. You just weren't invited.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Antialiased text looks loving awful and is going to be the leading cause of eye issues in five years. The new text looks like dogshit for anybody with good vision.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

gently caress da Mods posted:

Seriously, open sans was great why was i not consulted on this

Who're you?

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
Font should be 10 times bigger

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
i agree op, and think it should be changed to courier new

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Antialiased text looks loving awful and is going to be the leading cause of eye issues in five years. The new text looks like dogshit for anybody with good vision.

pretty sure antialiasing is controlled by your computer not the website

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Doctor J Off posted:

petition to make D&D all in courier, to match government guidelines for official memos

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Doctor J Off posted:

gently caress that, asterisks look retarded in courier new. plain old courier 4 lyfe

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

open sans is hot, looks great, airy and inviting.

this roboto condesnsed is like 80's programming bullshit, prolly nerds w/ no g.d. or sense of web typography were in on this 'testing' yall bitchin bout

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cShYbLkhBc

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

are there actually people who give a poo poo about fonts? cause that's hosed up, if true

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gently caress da Mods posted:

open sans is hot, looks great, airy and inviting.

this roboto condesnsed is like 80's programming bullshit, prolly nerds w/ no g.d. or sense of web typography were in on this 'testing' yall bitchin bout

Most goons are like 45+ now man. We like it cos it looks better with reading glasses.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Mange Mite posted:

pretty sure antialiasing is controlled by your computer not the website

Serif fonts are anti-aliased. Old font that isn't ClearType is typically aliased unless you have ClearType on in your program and/or OS. These fonts look okay on mobile but there's no way around them looking smudged or blurry when blown up to monitor sizes.

http://annystudio.com/misc/anti-aliased-fonts-hurt/

If you aren't blind, this poo poo will soon make you.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Serif fonts are anti-aliased. Old font that isn't ClearType is typically aliased unless you have ClearType on in your program and/or OS. These fonts look okay on mobile but there's no way around them looking smudged or blurry when blown up to monitor sizes.

http://annystudio.com/misc/anti-aliased-fonts-hurt/

If you aren't blind, this poo poo will soon make you.

Look at this loving smar.....

Oh you are right actually.

Lowtax is adding a $10 feature where you can upgrade to a font that wont blind you though.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
hi I'm Grandpa Idiot Fucker and I dont use Cleartype or anti-aliasing because I like staring at individual pixels like a loving caveman

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Al Nipper posted:

Font should be 10 times bigger

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
DIdt Microsoft get rid of cleartyype in windows 8

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Mange Mite posted:

DIdt Microsoft get rid of cleartyype in windows 8

No, and it's on by default. You have to be an intentional retard to turn it off.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
Make all fonts SVG, problem solved. loving AOL should hire me to be one of those dudes with the crazy hair that makes nutso predictions about the future.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I love having my eyes constantly shift like a Dorito staring at wall after playing Guitar Hero for twelve hours.

Sorry man but not everyone has an OLED monitor or poor enough vision not to notice the smudginess. I wish the text looked great because caveman text sucks but the technology just isn't there yet. The other forum changes are great and all I'm hoping for is a toggle between old and new font

Serif looks great on mobile though

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

I love having my eyes constantly shift like a Dorito staring at wall after playing Guitar Hero for twelve hours.

Sorry man but not everyone has an OLED monitor or poor enough vision not to notice the smudginess. I wish the text looked great because caveman text sucks but the technology just isn't there yet. The other forum changes are great and all I'm hoping for is a toggle between old and new font

Serif looks great on mobile though

My monitor is half a decade old and somehow it manages to display the font without destroying my eyes and turning my screen into a series of smudges.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Lowtax posted:

My monitor is half a decade old and somehow it manages to display the font without destroying my eyes and turning my screen into a series of smudges.

How old are your eyes?

the font looks loving fine

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 17, 2014

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Lowtax posted:

The font is too drat narrow!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Lowtax posted:

What are your settings? What browser?

This is what the forum text looks like on my monitor (Dell something) in Chrome:

The ghosting/smudges/streaks on text are hard to focus on and give me (and I know a few other people) headaches while reading. It's not really an aesthetic issue as much as a health issue. It really is painful. :(

Ugly (although non-eye-strianing) text:

edit: Here's what it looks like on 6+. Click for big, you'll see it's very, very smooth

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 17, 2014

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

The ghosting/smudges/streaks on text are hard to focus on and give me (and I know a few other people) headaches while reading. It's not really an aesthetic issue as much as a health issue. It really is painful. :(

Ugly (although non-eye-strianing) text:

Are you kidding? That's clearly worse.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Illuminti posted:

Are you kidding? That's clearly worse.

Define "worse" because it's 100% crisp on my screen with no smudging and blurring.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

what teh gently caress is a font

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
this is waaaaay better than open sans. that font was for the birds

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

fonts are a really important thing to care about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Cant say i really see much difference if at all. If you hate it that much post from awful app

Also who says half a decade instead of five years. You sound like some kind of internet nerd

• Locked thread