Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Lol wait a HEALTH ISSUE reading the forums? Hahaahahahahaha gtfo of here if reading gbs physically hurts you gahahahahaga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Armchair Calvinist posted:

The ghosting/smudges/streaks on text are hard to focus on and give me (and I know a few other people) headaches while reading.
lmao, I never get tired of reading about the illnesses this new font have inflicted

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Seriously this font is so extremely bad.

I just want to be able to read actual paragraphs on the forums again.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Fredrik1 posted:

Seriously this font is so extremely bad.

I just want to be able to read actual paragraphs on the forums again.
Can you please post a screenshot of the forums so I can see why exactly you are unable to read paragraphs?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Fetus Tree posted:

Lol wait a HEALTH ISSUE reading the forums? Hahaahahahahaha gtfo of here if reading gbs physically hurts you gahahahahaga

I disabled CSS on the forums with an addon so it doesn't affect me but yes antialiased text is known for giving a large portion of people migraines, headaches, shifting eyes/pupils, and other issues which is why nobody uses ClearType except for people who had their eyes replaced with literal balls of poop

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Lowtax posted:

Can you please post a screenshot of the forums so I can see why exactly you are unable to read paragraphs?

exactly why is bc anybody whining abt fonts is probably illiterate

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
I think the last font everyone complained about was better than the new font everyone is complaining about, but that's just my opinion

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I didn't notice but now that you guys mention it my eyes really hurt.....

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

antialiased text is known for giving a large portion of people migraines, headaches, shifting eyes, and other issues which is why nobody uses ClearType
Hahahahahahahahaa holy poo poo are you for real?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Sintax posted:

I didn't notice but now that you guys mention it my eyes really hurt.....
The Something Awful Forums font: digital darwinism weeding out the weak from the strong.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Lowtax posted:

Hahahahahahahahaa holy poo poo are you for real?

I mean you can laugh, but blurred text isn't all that great to look at for anybody. Post a screenshot of what it looks like on your end?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
hey OP how are you able to tell what the font name is? I looked in the CSS and I don't see it

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Lowtax posted:

hi I'm Grandpa Idiot Fucker and I dont use Cleartype or anti-aliasing because I like staring at individual pixels like a loving caveman

technically you are staring at individual pixels AA or not.

but anyways i like the new font.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

I disabled CSS on the forums with an addon so it doesn't affect me but yes antialiased text is known for giving a large portion of people migraines, headaches, shifting eyes/pupils, and other issues which is why nobody uses

ClearType except for people who had their eyes replaced with literal balls of poop

LOOKS FINE 2 ME

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Fetus Tree posted:

LOOKS FINE 2 ME

I don't have this problem on mobile either. Refer to:

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gnarlyhotep posted:

hey OP how are you able to tell what the font name is? I looked in the CSS and I don't see it

Are you using Firefox?

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Fetus Tree posted:

Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Screen Like Nigga Close Your Eyes Haha

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

spud posted:

Are you using Firefox?

yeah

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

I mean you can laugh, but blurred text isn't all that great to look at for anybody. Post a screenshot of what it looks like on your end?

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

drat i wanted to make some smart rear end quote about you using Chrome. Guess this is why you are a mod and im not.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

I mean you can laugh, but blurred text isn't all that great to look at for anybody.
Yes, nobody anywhere should ever use anti-aliasing. I don't know how literally every media form in the world gets away with it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah that looks pretty blurry on my end. :confused:

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

i use chrome WhatFont extension, but honestly i knew what it was off the bat

lol i know typography so its like im not sure bout all this anti-aliasing, i just know it looks like doody garbage compared to open sans which isn't doo-doo garbage, sup lowtax

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I want to keep know what secrets lowtax has to keep his half decade old monitor displaying new fonts so crisply and clearly

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

i have full retina display, font still is roboto bullcrap dildo font

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Yeah that looks pretty blurry on my end. :confused:
I guess I possess supernatural powers bestowed by the Lord Jesus Christ Himself, because somehow I can read this without suffering from fontache.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

lowtax, why are u such a roboto fan over open sans?

i remember like being so happy to see open sans why you do it man

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

like what next? lol oswald? lol montserrat? lol sansita one? lol LOBSTER??!?!?

where does it end brah

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Fetus Tree posted:

I want to keep know what secrets lowtax has to keep his half decade old monitor displaying new fonts so crisply and clearly
I haven't done anything. It also looks completely legible on my 4 year old laptop. But then again, I possess the Eyes of Magical Anti-Aliasing Tolerance.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

gently caress da Mods posted:

lowtax, why are u such a roboto fan over open sans?

i remember like being so happy to see open sans why you do it man
Because everybody complained about Open Sans.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

Lowtax posted:

Because everybody complained about Open Sans.

ok. i just. :(

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
sorry i made fun of you goons for having shifty eyeballs i dont really care and usually post from awful app anyway.

tho in all seriousness the font doesnt bother me. i do usually browse the forums from a second monitor with larger font anyway tho so maybe thats why

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I dig Open Sans too, but everybody complained it was too vertical. Less people complained when I shifted to Roboto.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lowtax posted:

I dig Open Sans too, but everybody complained it was too vertical. Less people complained when I shifted to Roboto.

Do you have insurance though? If I pour bleach into my eyes and go blind, I could say it's because I spend 23hrs of each day looking at the forums.

I do prefer Open Sans though.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

spud posted:

Do you have insurance though? If I pour bleach into my eyes and go blind, I could say it's because I spend 23hrs of each day looking at the forums.

I do prefer Open Sans though.
When my head explodes ala Scanners, please let the major news outlets know it was from the intense headache I suffered from viewing anti-aliased text.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
i boot up a special windows 95 windows VM every time i browse the somethingawful forums so i can view the text there the way it was meant to be viewed

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lowtax posted:

When my head explodes ala Scanners, please let the major news outlets know it was from the intense headache I suffered from viewing anti-aliased text.

Eh I don't get a headache at all, looks ok to me. I just preferred Open Sans.

I've made a note about the Scanners thing though, so rest in peace.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
whats wrong with aliases

mine is Frank Turlingdrome

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Can you just like phone me up and read me all the posts so I dont have to use my eyes at all? Thanks.

Actually when I go back and read that anti aliasing article my right eye stops kind of hurting randomly. Is there some sort of lovely plugin I can get to make the forums whatever godawful font that uses so my grandpa eyes dont hurt thanks.

A Stupid Baby fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Meh, whatever, it's annoying to read.

This is the old font that I have no issues with.

It's clear, it's not overly anti-aliased, and the letters are actually the same size and rendered the same way.

This is the new font

There are four l's in there and all of them are rendered differently, most of the letters are rendered differently even if they are the same letter. There is anti-aliasing everywhere on places that doesn't seem to make any sense, sometimes the anti aliasing is on the left side of the character and sometimes it's on the right. The "u" in "full" has anti aliasing in the middle, but no other letter seem to follow that pattern. Some characters are two pixels wide and others are only one.

There are no consistency at all.

• Locked thread