Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
No I'm not. Is there a game maker thing that assumes you can code but will take the tedium off your hands. Everything on the market seems so user friendly breaking it to do anything other than babby first retro pixel metroidvania game is as much work as handling all the boring poo poo yourself. I wanna turn the ancient gbs cyoa YLS 3 into vidya gem. I have permission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

i hear unity is cool for indie poo poo but i don't know if it will 'take the tedium off your hands', seems like anything that will do that by definition assumes you are a dumb babby wannabe programmer

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
it's like Facebook, but with/for ____________. Soooo, that shouldn't cost any more than $500 to make, right?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

i hear unity is cool for indie poo poo but i don't know if it will 'take the tedium off your hands', seems like anything that will do that by definition assumes you are a dumb babby wannabe programmer

Unity doesnt do 2d sadly, albeit it can somewhat pretend to. Massive waste of resources.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I am willing to drop up to 1k on a licence if there is like, how do i put this, for music there is expensive cool software. There is also fruity loops. All the game ones seem very fruity loopy. Tests have confirmed my impression thus far.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I have an idea: a car that runs on water instead of gasoline

How do I get millions with this idea (please do not share outside this forum or take my idea)

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
I met a literal retarded person at the court house who was telling everyone about his idea to make a weed powered rocket

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

uG posted:

I met a literal retarded person at the court house who was telling everyone about his idea to make a weed powered rocket

How does it work?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I'm the idea guy behind "Live Laugh Love" and the "It's not about wating for the storm to pass, it's about learning to love dancing in the rain." products.

I could be swimming in frumpy middle-aged office-lady pussy but I chopped my dick off a long time ago.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

how me a frog posted:

How does it work?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Why arent we funding this?

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
he described a naive implementation of a steam engine that used weed as the energy source via combustion

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I have an idea: a car that runs on water instead of gasoline

How do I get millions with this idea (please do not share outside this forum or take my idea)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkGMY63FF3Q

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

uG posted:

he described a naive implementation of a steam engine that used weed as the energy source via combustion

How did he propose to use the rotational force to generate lift?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Use SFML, SDL, or Gosu. Not sure how much of the work you're looking to have done for you but you said you don't want "babby's first game creator" aand 2d games are easy enough. There's also LOVE.

RainMaker
Oct 25, 2012

This is me every time you post.

how me a frog posted:

Science will do that bit.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

how me a frog posted:

he was literally retarded so i didn't go into a tirade about physics but believe me i was shaking and huffing

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

uG posted:

how me a frog posted:

How does it work?

how me a frog posted:

Weed gets you really high come on this is basic physics

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Quickscope420dad posted:

Weed gets you really high come on this is basic physics

But how high does it get you cause space is really fucken high. None of this is helpful to me btw, but I spose thats not much of a benchmark.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

how me a frog posted:

But how high does it get you cause space is really fucken high. None of this is helpful to me btw, but I spose thats not much of a benchmark.

weed is fuckin cosmic

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
weed is made of star stuff nigga

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

uG posted:

star stuff nigga

brb getting a legal namechange

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

how me a frog posted:

Unity doesnt do 2d sadly, albeit it can somewhat pretend to. Massive waste of resources.

Unity's done 2D without dumb workarounds since 4.3, and the 4.6 2D UI stuff is pretty ballin'.

That's slang for "good", right?

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
Now listen up you shits, I'm the brains here. So I don't care if you have a 'degree' or 'experience', talk back to me and you're off the team. Like balls rolling off a cliff.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

how me a frog posted:

How does it work?

It doesn't. The astronauts end up getting really high and eating all their freeze dried ice cream.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
unity does 2d fine if you want to use it

other recommends for easy peasy 2d game: phaser.io, and plus it will be on a webpage

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

sexy young infidel posted:

unity does 2d fine if you want to use it

other recommends for easy peasy 2d game: phaser.io, and plus it will be on a webpage

Unity does not do 2d fine, it doesnt do it at all. What it does do is 3d with a fixed camera so it looks 2d. Seeing as how the source game is basically dwarf fortress in space i cannot abide such a waste of resources.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
ill do the character design i love working for free and drawing anime hair

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

how me a frog posted:

Unity does not do 2d fine, it doesnt do it at all. What it does do is 3d with a fixed camera so it looks 2d. Seeing as how the source game is basically dwarf fortress in soace i cannot abide such a waste of resources.

I think they were working on the 2d but I'm not an expert... if ur ok with javascript, phaser.io really does make it easy to load sprites and animate them and do events like when your guy runs into a wall or shoots a gun or something

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

sexy young infidel posted:

I think they were working on the 2d but I'm not an expert... if ur ok with javascript, phaser.io really does make it easy to load sprites and animate them and do events like when your guy runs into a wall or shoots a gun or something

I have an engine that can do that and a lot more which I wrote with my cousin who has since moved on to bigger and better things. Me I work a full time job but want to make this game cause I won the, for lack of a better term, IP in a bet. I can do all the logic but I want to pay for a thing where i can just assume the game loop, saving etc just works. Exporting to Android would be a welcome bonus.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

how me a frog posted:

No I'm not. Is there a game maker thing that assumes you can code but will take the tedium off your hands. Everything on the market seems so user friendly breaking it to do anything other than babby first retro pixel metroidvania game is as much work as handling all the boring poo poo yourself. I wanna turn the ancient gbs cyoa YLS 3 into vidya gem. I have permission.

Why not Game Maker? Takes a great deal of tedium off your hands and let's you code everything. The only thing that's not coded are the events, those are through the objects. I've tried quite a few others and keep coming back to GM for 2D games for both it's power and ease of use.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Oh, me? I'm a creative type. A creative. I yearn for death.

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009

Fat Lowtax posted:

Oh, me? I'm a creative type. A creative. I yearn for death.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Tarkus posted:

Why not Game Maker? Takes a great deal of tedium off your hands and let's you code everything. The only thing that's not coded are the events, those are through the objects. I've tried quite a few others and keep coming back to GM for 2D games for both it's power and ease of use.

Game maker does not let you easily modify classes in the way you could if you coded the whole drat thing yourself. Gm is the epitome of my original post. Easy and intuitive but if you want to do anything complex its a limp dick wrapped in gluten free ham.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
try the phaser.io it was real easy to get up and running for me, and it has a game loop and some localstorage utilities so u can easily mash classes into JSON and save them

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

how me a frog posted:

Game maker does not let you easily modify classes in the way you could if you coded the whole drat thing yourself. Gm is the epitome of my original post. Easy and intuitive but if you want to do anything complex its a limp dick wrapped in gluten free ham.

Well, I guess there's AGK2 from The Game Creators. You can use their BASIC (which is garbage) or develop the game using their libraries in visual studio which are OK. Or Unity which is a cluster gently caress for 2D and doesn't compile natively for android (I don't think). I can't really think of anything that would fit the bill for full control and easy to use. GM can be unwieldy for complex stuff and can really allow you to paint yourself in a corner, so to speak, however it's probably the best blend for the fastest development I can think of. If you plan things out you can give your objects certain amounts of functionality similar to classes in C++ including inheritance.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
dunno why you don't just use Gosu or SFML or something then. I mean the Game Loop and Saving are two very easy pieces of the puzzle compared to things like procedural-generation map classes that work well

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

You could try Stencyl. It's actually being used to make pretty good looking metroidvanias

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Justus posted:

You could try Stencyl. It's actually being used to make pretty good looking metroidvanias

This is so much of the polar opposite of what I was asking for I am baffled by how you even managed to make this post.

Before anyone else like you posts, yes I have considered using lego. No.

• Locked thread