Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
op u should use twine it's the new hot poo poo

http://twinery.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
what language, op?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

pygame i guess. your game might run like poo poo cause its python but its a non tedious language to use

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

BIG BOY EXPO 2K posted:

what language, op?

english, you heathen

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
use unity 4.6
if you are dead set against unity you are an idiot and you should use flash instead. AS2 is easy mode. (getting flash onto android is not easy mode)

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
use Adventure Game Studio it takes care of all the pointing and clicking for you

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I don't really understand what tedium you want taken off your hands if game maker is too baby, but unity doesn't help enough.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Actually, I remember an "ideas guy" who swore by something called construct.

As someone who can code it looked too retarded for me to take seriously, but it might be up your alley?

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
ummm idtech? i dont know game engines much

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

monkey posted:

use unity 4.6
if you are dead set against unity you are an idiot and you should use flash instead. AS2 is easy mode. (getting flash onto android is not easy mode)

LOL if you can't get Flash onto Android. I've published like 50 apps for Android with AIR. Noob.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

runupon cracker posted:

LOL if you can't get Flash onto Android. I've published like 50 apps for Android with AIR. Noob.

It's a fair warning though. AS2 > AIR > Android is not a thing. You have to use AS3.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
i had a dude tell me he had an idea for me to program once

it was an app that when you take a picture of something the app tells you what it is.

so like a visual cortex. i wasn't even graduated yet so i couldn't do my half of the job (creating a visual cortex) to make our millions that we would split 50/50 idea man and programmer

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Fancy Corndog posted:

so like a visual cortex

There is totally an AIR library for that, noob.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
lowtax quit being a loving noob and use Adobe products on something awful forums I know all my retard web dev trash idiot friends love that poo poo (but for some reason all my smart friends don't have Adobe anything installed on anything??)

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
can I help

here is my portfolio

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

monkey posted:

It's a fair warning though. AS2 > AIR > Android is not a thing. You have to use AS3.

Why would you even use AS2? It's absolute junk compared to AS3.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

how me a frog posted:

Unity does not do 2d fine, it doesnt do it at all. What it does do is 3d with a fixed camera so it looks 2d. Seeing as how the source game is basically dwarf fortress in space i cannot abide such a waste of resources.
You're right about what it does but you're wrong about the waste of resources. From my understanding modern hardware is far better at rendering 3D to the point that there are games that have migrated from real 2D to fake 2D for the performance gain.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
OP don't let this stop you, make a kickstarter

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
also have you looked at the new Unreal engine? Might be overkill but supposedly you can do 2D stuff with it

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Elukka posted:

You're right about what it does but you're wrong about the waste of resources. From my understanding modern hardware is far better at rendering 3D to the point that there are games that have migrated from real 2D to fake 2D for the performance gain.

Yeah, that's something we did with AIR, using the Starling framework.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

runupon cracker posted:

Why would you even use AS2? It's absolute junk compared to AS3.

Why would you even use Flash? It's absolute junk compared to Unity.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

monkey posted:

Why would you even use Flash? It's absolute junk compared to Unity.

That's why we're switching. We do almost exclusively 2D, and Unity was too much of a hassle for that when we first started.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
assembly or gtfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Idea guys choose DeVry

• Locked thread