Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

tee hee
as awful as he was at apple, and as hilariously as he mishandled be, his current tech blog is actually really, honestly, no-foolin' good and worth reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I only read blogs about woodworking and stuff

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

strange maps and atlas obscura are really good blogs

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

wisdom

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

if only

her worst hire showed that she was also succeptable to smooth european charmer syndrome, and ended up paying a portuguese guy $110 million for 15 months of making incoherent gnomic statements and running their already-faltering ad business into the ground

from his chalet, jean-louis gassee lifts a wineglass in salute

no I meant the assumption that marissa was going to be good at the job

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

rotor posted:

same except blogs about gamergate

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Proteus4994 posted:

same except blogs about gamergate

Same, but college coed selfie galleries

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FMguru posted:

as awful as he was at apple, and as hilariously as he mishandled be, his current tech blog is actually really, honestly, no-foolin' good and worth reading

JLG was perfectly fine when he was at apple from the stuff I've read

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

qirex posted:

no I meant the assumption that marissa was going to be good at the job

its not a foregone conclusion but at least its someone who gets the internet and what good internet products and design looks like which is more than you can say for anyone else that would accept running loving yahoo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

poty posted:

its not a foregone conclusion but at least its someone who gets the internet and what good internet products and design looks like which is more than you can say for anyone else that would accept running loving yahoo
yeah marissas was hired not because she attended stanford but because she was a key player in building google into the internet godzilla that it is today. her glamor and charisma were also part of the reason, and legitimately so - part of a ceos job is promoting a company and being its public face, and she got sad sack yahoo two years of glowing pr and puff pieces. given that before her arrival yahoo was considered (along with hp) the most hopelessly hosed-up company in the valley thats worth a lot

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

rotor posted:

bae sacs

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

never hire a woman ceo, never

never works

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
every failed company ever has had a CEO. makes u think

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FMguru posted:

part of a ceos job is promoting a company and being its public face

agreed
                           \

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

yeah marissas was hired not because she attended stanford but because she was a key player in building google into the internet godzilla that it is today. her glamor and charisma were also part of the reason, and legitimately so - part of a ceos job is promoting a company and being its public face, and she got sad sack yahoo two years of glowing pr and puff pieces. given that before her arrival yahoo was considered (along with hp) the most hopelessly hosed-up company in the valley thats worth a lot

Marisa was hired at Google because she went to stanford

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

from his chalet, jean-louis gassee lifts a wineglass in salute
m. bison yes

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
when we added video calling to gchat in gmail marissa wouldn't sign off on doing a promo line on the homepage what a bitch lol

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
also the rumour was she somehow petitioned the city to put a stoplight in the middle of a block so that she could make left turns out of her private drive whenever she needed to exit the building lot

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

also the rumour was she somehow petitioned the city to put a stoplight in the middle of a block so that she could make left turns out of her private drive whenever she needed to exit the building lot

:what: there's a lot of weird poo poo that drives me up the wall about rich people but weird trivia like this always takes the cake for me

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

when we added video calling to gchat in gmail marissa wouldn't sign off on doing a promo line on the homepage what a bitch lol

goog video hangouts are awesome thx u for making them

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
:tipshat: have you guys tried the corp version yet?

https://www.google.com/chrome/business/solutions/for-meetings.html

it's nice working on a product that actually earns revenue

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mido posted:

:what: there's a lot of weird poo poo that drives me up the wall about rich people but weird trivia like this always takes the cake for me

She shut down Third street for several hours at rush hour on a weekday in order to have her Dale Chihuly (another colossal rear end in a top hat of a human being) chandelier delivered to her hotel penthouse

And fwiw I have no idea why she gets so much credit for being some kind of "design genius" I mean Google's homepage is pretty loving basic, it's like what one of my students might come up with as their first attempt at being cool and minimal

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

She shut down Third street for several hours at rush hour on a weekday in order to have her Dale Chihuly (another colossal rear end in a top hat of a human being) chandelier delivered to her hotel penthouse

And fwiw I have no idea why she gets so much credit for being some kind of "design genius" I mean Google's homepage is pretty loving basic, it's like what one of my students might come up with as their first attempt at being cool and minimal
compared to other search/portal home pages at the time (like yahoo or altavista, which looked like a pileup at a nascar race) it was like a la corbusier house

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Sagebrush posted:

she gets credit because she went with her own vision despite all the wrong whining from idiots taking cheap shots at it like yours

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

ive tested it and it works but we need some way to chromecast to a hangout so we can properly present our fart apps to our clients

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

suffix posted:

to chromecast to a hangout so we can properly present our fart apps to our clients

what the gently caress does any of this mean?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the place I started at uses chromecasts in every conference room and they kinda work but our wifi is lovely so it drops a lot

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

what the gently caress does any of this mean?

it means im in a video conference with some ppl and i want to show them my phone screen

it's my edge case

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I tried to find those in the NY office but didn't see any despite all the rooms, welp.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

marissa makers had sex with a horse

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:

Proteus4994 posted:

This isn't entirely true. My advisor at UCLA went to grad school (same lab group) with Sergey Brin, and his recollections of Sergey are........let's say not overwhelmingly positive

do tell plz

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BONGHITZ posted:

marissa makers had sex with a horse

i was the horse

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Tangra posted:

do tell plz

Proteus4994 posted:

He was too nice to get into details. When I pressed him the most he'd say was "well, he really wasn't there (in the lab doing research) very much". But some of his other grad students (I was only in his lab for about a year, they were there for 4-5) said that he'd occasionally make a remark or two about Sergey.

Funny thing is that he works at Google now so...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
my one stupid story about sergey like that is from a friend who was at grad school with them. sergey had the hots for his then girlfriend so when they all went paintballing he made sure to only shoot her or something.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

cool thing and also cool is the remote that is hard core jacked from boxee ftw

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
we're more of an ideas company :iamafag:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lol ok so the wife scored box seats to the niners game and I ended up sitting next to some yahoo lady and because I'm a pushy loudmouth with no internal censor I gave my unasked for opinion of mayer and oh hey turns out she's on the board

I asked her if she'd read the nyt article and she said no and I told her she should then the niners lost but it was a really good game regardless

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

lol ok so the wife scored box seats to the niners game and I ended up sitting next to some yahoo lady and because I'm a pushy loudmouth with no internal censor I gave my unasked for opinion of mayer and oh hey turns out she's on the board

I asked her if she'd read the nyt article and she said no and I told her she should then the niners lost but it was a really good game regardless
oh, rotor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

rotor posted:

what have you done

• Locked thread