Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
One of my older cats was just diagnosed with what I hope is a very early stage of feline HiV and diabetes. Has been a inside cat almost his entire life so no idea where this came from but going to start treatment as soon as possible. Has any one else gone through this, any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

this is a trying time for the cat too. please do not shame it for having unprotected sex

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Just try to be a friendly shoulder for your cat to lean on in these hard times, meow. Must be tough to go through, meow.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You might want to get yourself tested too.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

i think one of the reasons feline hiv is so widespread is that its really difficult to get a condom on when your shits all barbed

(also im sorry for your cat, from what i read they could have picked it up years ago)

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
Doesn't the H stand for human? Shouldn't it be FIV?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

dogcrash truther posted:

Not if his cat got it from sex with a human.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Awesome! posted:

this is a trying time for the cat too. please do not shame it for having unprotected sex

what cat isn't down with OPP?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

dogcrash truther posted:

Yeah I was in stupid mode when I wrote that.

Bupropion
Dec 14, 2014
My aunt's Maine Coon was diagnosed with that when he was about 6 and lived to be about 16. Towards the end he had some issues (infections and masses that had to be removed), but other than that, he was a perfectly normal cat. Just give him the meds he's supposed to get, and he should be (mostly) ok.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
FIV needs more awareness campaigns, maybe then cats would think twice before barebacking some calico in a dingy litterbox during a catnip-fueled haze

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Darth Freddy posted:

One of my older cats was just diagnosed with what I hope is a very early stage of feline HiV and diabetes. Has been a inside cat almost his entire life so no idea where this came from but going to start treatment as soon as possible. Has any one else gone through this, any advice?

FIV will make him more susceptible to infection, and with his diabetes, he will be at a higher risk of urinary tract infections and possibly kidney infections. FIV will make it more likely he will develop cancer. For the most part, it is just watching his behavior and activity and catching changes in eating and activity and taking him to the vet sooner than normal.

The normal testing for FIV tests for antibody - I assume he has been confirmed positive via another mehod as well?

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
I don't know anything about FIV, but my older cat was diagnosed a few years ago with diabetes, and chronic renal failure. In regards to that, I can tell you what you are looking forward to:

Controlled food intake. This means absolutely no more people food, or anything that isn't prescription food. At all. Period. No treats that are unapproved. If you have Pounce or anything like that, throw it out. NOW.

Controlled portions. This goes hand-in-hand with what kind of food. Fatty-Fat Cat is just going to drop some weight. This is a good thing.

Controlled timing of meals. No more feeding whenever your pet decides it's time to eat. You will feed your pet as your veterinarian describes, on a regular schedule, and stick to that schedule, with little variation. Sometimes the mealtime will have to be adjusted due to the consequences of your schedule, and you will have to change times because you cant be there to feed at the regular time. Know this in advance. If I have to change mealtime, I start planning a few days out and shifting the feeding an hour each time. (example: mealtime is normally at 7. In three days, I cant be home at 7, I wont get home until 10. I start a few days out delaying feeding an hour per meal time. This meal is at 8, the next one at 9, and so on.) A consistent schedule is actually a good thing. Animals can understand a routine, and will adjust accordingly. And tell you that it's getting close to "FOODS TIME MEOW-NOW".

Insulin shots. Not as big a deal for the cat as you would think. Always 5-10 minutes after the pet has consumed most of that particular meal. I give mine the shot in the scruff of the neck, and there seems to be little to no irritation, other than limiting the cat's free will to move for about 10 seconds. This will irritate your cat more than the shot, trust me.

Expense. This is where you will see a significant change, unfortunately. Prescription food definitely costs more than off-the-shelf stuff. Do a little homework. After 2 years, I discovered I could get the same exact food online for about 15% cheaper than what I was paying for it at the pet shop. The Insulin I'm using costs just under $90, and this bottle lasts 4 months. Needles are cheap, under $20, for a box of 100.

See? Most of the significant life changes will be on you, not on your pet. Cats are resilient. You can be, too. You will both be OK.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I used to volunteer at a shelter and one of the rooms I cleaned was the room for FIV cats (the other was a Feline Leukemia room). I went back and visited last month and one of the cats has been there for over a decade and he's still very active and healthy, so this isn't a death sentence for your kitty. Best wishes!

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
I've got a seal point that's probably 11 or 12 at this point who's got FIV.

He's a big fat attention whore who occasionally needs a vet visit that another cat might not, but he's otherwise healthy.

It's not a good thing, but your cat won't fall over dead from it next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Thanks for all the responses a lot of help. So far the hardest thing is the feedings since we have more then one cat so having to switch them all over to the science diet wd stuff. Will be getting some more. Look worm done soon to see if his Insulin levels are in a good range. Either way he has been more active and happy.

Shots are easy so far. He k ows what time they are at so will make a point to hide or use the litter box at that time, but has no problem taking the shot it's self.

Thanks again for all the responses.

• Locked thread