Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Technical Analysis posted:

Tonight's Southpark has already been rewritten.

I would really like to see a Team America sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
i didnt read more than like 3 posts in but has no one pointed out that its just a publicity stunt?

absolutely no way at all they are fully going through with never showing this movie ever and just eating the millions of dollars of loss

this story is making sony the star of the show and their movie is hyped up now by people they havent paid a dime to, theyre gonna announce "oh wait actually we are showing it jk" and there will be another news story about the whole thing in a week or so and then theyll sell every seat in the house and make up the money they lost in the hacking thing

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

ivory tower hollywood elite thought theyd get some easy money and laughs at the expense of an insane dictator. insane dictator instead pulls some of the finest insane dictator moves ever and just destroys them. very satisfying imo

Hollywood executives throw pitch by State and relevant security agencies first, get greenlight. Foreign nation launches unprecedented terrorist attack against America. Japanese executive falls on his sword over dishonor.

Its how you climb the gently caress'n ladder.

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

i didnt read more than like 3 posts in but has no one pointed out that its just a publicity stunt?

Not really, though? Blowback was to be expected. Threatening your distribution chain and individual executives with death of them and their families if the movie went through? Probably prepared for as a contingency with digital distributorship set up in case that were to occur, with USGov backing.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 18, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SaltLick posted:

americans love doing poo poo out of spite so they should have done a media blitz telling americans to go see their movie because itll piss off some browns yellows

Reds. If there's one thing that can unite America it's a good old-fashioned commie hunt.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

the black husserl posted:

Hey idiots: This movie wasn't going to make sony any Money, so they aren't releasing it. It's called capitalism, love it or leave it.

you are such a loving moron its unbelievable

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

PromethiumX posted:

This probably has more to do with the class-action lawsuit by ex employees and getting sued to high heaven for having piss poor network security. I can only guess they are overreacting to the situation rather than legit scared that NK will terrorize some bitches.
It's more reducing Sony's exposure to a dark abyss of a lawsuit if some crazies actually attack a screening of the movie. Plus, now Sony gets to file an insurance claim on the aborted release while trialing a straight to VOD release of a major motion picture with absolutely zero accountable risk. Win all around for Sony.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Yivgev posted:

you are such a loving moron its unbelievable

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

absolutely no way at all they are fully going through with never showing this movie ever and just eating the millions of dollars of loss

this story is making sony the star of the show and their movie is hyped up now by people they havent paid a dime to, theyre gonna announce "oh wait actually we are showing it jk" and there will be another news story about the whole thing in a week or so and then theyll sell every seat in the house and make up the money they lost in the hacking thing

this is pretty believable

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Stoic Commie posted:

yep, that's some pussy poo poo alright

how can anyone in the united states or first world in general remotely feel threatened by the norks? north korea is a loving joke of a nation

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

Hollywood executives throw pitch by State and relevant security agencies first, get greenlight. Foreign nation launches unprecedented terrorist attack against America. Japanese executive falls on his sword over dishonor.

Its how you climb the gently caress'n ladder.

Not really, though? Blowback was to be expected. Threatening your distribution chain and individual executives with death of them and their families if the movie went through? Probably prepared for as a contingency with digital distributorship set up in case that were to occur, with USGov backing.

do you have an article about this being a decision by sony corporate and not sony pictures or not?

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
funny north korean joke: haha millions of starving north koreans try to survive on grass. They are fools and glorious leader departs for sweden, special swimming pool full of hookers and BMWs is ready for him. All hail glorious leader

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zippy the Bummer posted:

how can anyone in the united states or first world in general remotely feel threatened by the norks? north korea is a loving joke of a nation

Japanese data security practices. Even the Norks can beat that. Hell, I bet a room full of middleschoolers could beat that.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Because sometimes we care about the Souths? (souts? suks? does the ROK get a name like "norks?")

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Korranus posted:

It's more reducing Sony's exposure to a dark abyss of a lawsuit if some crazies actually attack a screening of the movie. Plus, now Sony gets to file an insurance claim on the aborted release while trialing a straight to VOD release of a major motion picture with absolutely zero accountable risk. Win all around for Sony.

i could buy this as well i guess

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

sexy young infidel posted:

funny north korean joke: haha millions of starving north koreans try to survive on grass. They are fools and glorious leader departs for sweden, special swimming pool full of hookers and BMWs is ready for him. All hail glorious leader

Guess what movie is gonna float around NK's pirate DVD players more than any other in a few weeks?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Korranus posted:

This was my take also.

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

How did NK even pull this sophisticated of an attack off in the first place? Don't they like barely even have a computer? Christ, even the threats are all written in engrish.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Korranus posted:

Guess what movie is gonna float around NK's pirate DVD players more than any other in a few weeks?

What is, "Seducing Mr. Perfect," Alex?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 18, 2014

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

haha that is some pussy poo poo

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
thank you kim jon un for sparing us from this lovely movie

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster

GoatFood posted:

How did NK even pull this sophisticated of an attack off in the first place? Don't they like barely even have a computer? Christ, even the threats are all written in engrish.

they have a bunch of loyalists in other countries

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gaunab posted:

I just wanted to see Lizzy Caplan on the big screen

:page3:

can we at least agree that Lizzy Caplan is a dream waifu?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
Fine Sony but you have to promise to release another dumb unfunny movie in its place

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Terrorism works.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I guess Sony didn't learn their lesson with the PSN hack that was like 2 years back? Don't skimp on IT security, Sorny.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

the black husserl posted:

Hey idiots: This movie wasn't going to make sony any Money, so they aren't releasing it. It's called capitalism, love it or leave it.

Sony pictures is not the American government :eng101:

You don't know what censorship means

Second, Sony dropped it because it was a legit cyber attack. All their PCs are loving bricks for the most part, they are using pens and paper to conduct business, and they've lost tons of vital data and documents majorly disrupting their business. Is is legit VERY loving bad.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
What was Sony gonna do? All the major theater chains in the US and Canada dropped the movie. The number of theaters that were going to show the movie was cut in half literally overnight, and the smaller theater chains would've most likely followed suit.

So Sony can shelve the movie for now, and then just release it later. Canceling the Christmas release doesn't mean they're canceling the movie.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

NutritiousSnack posted:

Second, Sony dropped it because it was a legit cyber attack. All their PCs are loving bricks for the most part, they are using pens and paper to conduct business, and they've lost tons of vital data and documents majorly disrupting their business. Is is legit VERY loving bad.

DPRK account spotted.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sony is throwing away millions of dollars because North Koreans got upset and they got maybe the most awesome free publicity on the planet: Pissing off what amounts to a Banana Republic, China's little tumor they keep around for a joke. Everyone was gonna see that loving thing and Sony was going to make enough money to single handedly finance the war they were going to start with it.

This is some lame poo poo.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Ahem. Ladies and gentlemen: corporations do not believe in anything. Sony is a corporation. If they knew they would make 200 mil on opening week and that someone would blow up a theater they'd still release the movie.

Point is: I'm a huge idiot

The end

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Dear Terrorists: please threaten to blow up theaters that show the next hobbit film, tia.

LiquidFusion
Feb 11, 2004
Ezra < Me < Jake

Technical Analysis posted:

Tonight's Southpark has already been rewritten.

This honestly wouldn't surprise me. They've turned out an episode in 48 hours before.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Neukoln19 posted:

Ahem. Ladies and gentlemen: corporations do not believe in anything. Sony is a corporation. If they knew they would make 200 mil on opening week and that someone would blow up a theater they'd still release the movie.

Point is: I'm a huge idiot

The end

watch Sony start a loving world war involving America

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

hemophilia posted:

Sony is throwing away millions of dollars because North Koreans got upset and they got maybe the most awesome free publicity on the planet: Pissing off what amounts to a Banana Republic, China's little tumor they keep around for a joke. Everyone was gonna see that loving thing and Sony was going to make enough money to single handedly finance the war they were going to start with it.

This is some lame poo poo.

i watched some trailers on youtube.

the movie seems to be another hollywood waaaaacky comedy. not much of value is lost.

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any DPRK apologists in D&D (or among the LF exiles)

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

NutritiousSnack posted:

who cares? it's sony.

they're not exactly nice guys themselves.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

Because sometimes we care about the Souths? (souts? suks? does the ROK get a name like "norks?")

it's sorks

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
US continues its' culture of bullying another nations. Now they want to make movies about murdering other leader of states, how low can they go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
This is a shame, the teaser trailer made it look awesome as hell.

• Locked thread