Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bishop posted:

everything. Sony being a Japanese company is a technicality nobody cares about

Except the Japanese owners who are beholden to Japanese power dynamics.

Fear is probably that NK would kidnap Japanese or launch a coordinated attack on Japanese infrastructure. With that, you'd have some drat intense pressure from above to pull the movie.

This crosses the rubicon and is the first time a movie has led to threat of cyber attacks, which I'm aware of, and were threats with enough credibility to get the film pulled.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ariong posted:

I didn't really care about this movie before, but now I legit want to check it out.

There's always that element, which makes it easier to pull the plug.

You set up a digital distribution through an unconnected shell, which you have loan your holding all revenue from the movie through Luxembourg, with no intent to pay the loan back nor any need.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

THE PENETRATOR posted:

sony motion pictures of america, u fuckin moron bitch

Who the gently caress do they work for? Not that I expect you to know.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

sony pictures is american and this decision was probably made by them

Nah, decision was made by Japan. NK was threatening a cyberattack or hostage taking against Japan, which would be enough to get the Japanese to pressure heavily for the Americans to cave while finding a way to make money off caving.

I think the world needs a good Great Dictator revival.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Smoremaster posted:

so when are we gonna liberate the north koreans??

We'll liberate them by pushing videos of dear leader with swiss prostitutes to their not-existing cellphones.

the black husserl posted:

The Interview was projected to do bad even before the hack and afterwards it looked even worse. This lets Sony dump the movie while deflecting the blame towards the Wusses in Congress

State gave the go-ahead for the film. What the gently caress is there to deflect? lovely Japanese network security practices?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

ivory tower hollywood elite thought theyd get some easy money and laughs at the expense of an insane dictator. insane dictator instead pulls some of the finest insane dictator moves ever and just destroys them. very satisfying imo

Hollywood executives throw pitch by State and relevant security agencies first, get greenlight. Foreign nation launches unprecedented terrorist attack against America. Japanese executive falls on his sword over dishonor.

Its how you climb the gently caress'n ladder.

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

i didnt read more than like 3 posts in but has no one pointed out that its just a publicity stunt?

Not really, though? Blowback was to be expected. Threatening your distribution chain and individual executives with death of them and their families if the movie went through? Probably prepared for as a contingency with digital distributorship set up in case that were to occur, with USGov backing.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 18, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zippy the Bummer posted:

how can anyone in the united states or first world in general remotely feel threatened by the norks? north korea is a loving joke of a nation

Japanese data security practices. Even the Norks can beat that. Hell, I bet a room full of middleschoolers could beat that.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Korranus posted:

Guess what movie is gonna float around NK's pirate DVD players more than any other in a few weeks?

What is, "Seducing Mr. Perfect," Alex?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 18, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Neukoln19 posted:

Ahem. Ladies and gentlemen: corporations do not believe in anything. Sony is a corporation. If they knew they would make 200 mil on opening week and that someone would blow up a theater they'd still release the movie.

Point is: I'm a huge idiot

The end

watch Sony start a loving world war involving America

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

"(North Korea is no longer) two persons and a fax machine."
-U.N. report

oh poo poo, thats enough to take down Japan

Quick, somebody better call Abe and tell him its time for an American restructuring

Ivor Biggun posted:

Yes, lets nuke North Korea to protest their human rights record.

Its the humanitarian response. North Korea just attacked the United States on US territory. Thats a pretty loving big deal, ya kno?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Implication: Then give me your money to become elected as President so that I can reimburse you $5 for everyone who watched and didn't contribute. For freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Your Rain posted:

USA attacks everyone on their soil what's your point lmbo

Death to North Korea, paid for by Japanese.

• Locked thread