Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster
e past four months. US policy is wrecking the Russian economy as we prepare for continued war in Syria and Iraq. China, Russia, and Iran continue to support Assad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

in communist russia ruble spends you

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

the ruble is halved? ay, there's the rub.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
in zelda games if u smash jars inside them are rubles. hth

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: im making GBS threads in the toilet :siren:

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

ilikedirt posted:

This woulda worked better if it were an India joke

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Not really sure why Russia hasn't just invaded the rest of Ukraine at this point, given that they're hosed.

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf

dad gay. so what posted:

:siren: im making GBS threads in the toilet :siren:

:ohdear: it's been FOUR minutes! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE UPDATE!!

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

ilikedirt posted:

those are ruppees, I believe. Not to be confused with the currency that Russia has used for hundreds of years. Also copecks lost half their value, givng even more meaning to the phrase: I don't give two copecks.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

ilikedirt posted:

i guess the rubles must have been putin the jars at some point

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Marvin Freeman posted:

:ohdear: it's been FOUR minutes! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE UPDATE!!

about to wipe, then showering because of the debris

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

dad gay. so what posted:

why wipe if you're going to get in the shower right away? so wasteful...

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Russian economy and then all of Russian society will collapse and then Obama will open the flood gates and every last Russian in Russia will move to America.

This is what Obama wants for this country, he wants to ruin it by flooding our streets with Russians. Probably communist russians even

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
It's kinda neat in a way how that whole situation in the Ukraine allowed us an opportunity to wither and destroy the big scary "Red Menace" in a way that didn't involve war.

I'm pretty dumb about this kind of international stuff, but are the sanctions part of the reason why gas is getting so cheap recently?

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf

dad gay. so what posted:

thank you

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

chaosbreather posted:

the ruble is halved? ay, there's the rub.

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014
Wait, is this truly how war is waged in the twenty-first century? I was led to believe that war never changes.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The yankee satan is no match for The Lion Assad

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30508944

here's the actual press release

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Wicker Man posted:

It's kinda neat in a way how that whole situation in the Ukraine allowed us an opportunity to wither and destroy the big scary "Red Menace" in a way that didn't involve war.

I'm pretty dumb about this kind of international stuff, but are the sanctions part of the reason why gas is getting so cheap recently?

Gas is getting cheap because the rest of the non-opec world has being ramping up production and harvest of secondary oil reserves for the last 20 years and its now hitting its stride. Shale oils, deep sea harvest are technologies that are now paying off after decades of development.

The US is less dependent on foreign oil and fuel than it has been in many decades, also to the point where it is now a huge exporter of natural gas on a scale never before seen. There are more suppliers for countries that import to choose from.

Half of Russia's economy is dependent on exporting natural gas with oil at a $100/barrel price. The sanctions of the last 8 months, and the drop in oil price is crushing Russia's economy. They have good foreign reserves of cash and good export $$ at the moment, so they'll be fine for a while, but they are definitely not in a sustainable position at the moment.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Top Russian exports:

1. Oil
2. Natural gas
3. Stolen credit card numbers

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Big Beef City posted:

The Russian economy and then all of Russian society will collapse and then Obama will open the flood gates and every last Russian in Russia will move to America.

This is what Obama wants for this country, he wants to ruin it by flooding our streets with Russians. Probably communist russians even

There aren't enough natural hot springs in the US to support that kind of slavic immigration!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Internetjack posted:

Gas is getting cheap because the rest of the non-opec world has being ramping up production and harvest of secondary oil reserves for the last 20 years and its now hitting its stride. Shale oils, deep sea harvest are technologies that are now paying off after decades of development.

The US is less dependent on foreign oil and fuel than it has been in many decades, also to the point where it is now a huge exporter of natural gas on a scale never before seen. There are more suppliers for countries that import to choose from.

Half of Russia's economy is dependent on exporting natural gas with oil at a $100/barrel price. The sanctions of the last 8 months, and the drop in oil price is crushing Russia's economy. They have good foreign reserves of cash and good export $$ at the moment, so they'll be fine for a while, but they are definitely not in a sustainable position at the moment.

I wish I knew how to post like this......

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Three-Phase posted:

Top Russian exports:

1. Oil
2. Natural gas

4. Wives

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
my buddy's work truck runs on natural gas and regular gas it's pretty awesome

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
just lol if you use the ruble

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

5. Terrible dota players

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

soscannonballs posted:

5. Terrible dota players

No more dota discussion is allowed in this thread.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
i wonder what putins gonna do about it. it's not like he can pull out of ukraine and say he's sorry. especially after he made such a big deal about it lol

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
people with class spell it rouble u loving serfs

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Tsinava posted:

i wonder what putins gonna do about it. it's not like he can pull out of ukraine and say he's sorry. especially after he made such a big deal about it lol

go full on crazy. with the image hes built i imagine its gonna be pedal to the metal

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Three-Phase posted:

Top Russian exports:

1. Oil
2. Natural gas

6. Dash cams

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Internetjack posted:

We can thank GBS pussy punter Mook Face for destroying Russia.

TAR SANDS for the win!

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

you have it wrong, redshirt. this is also going to gently caress up mookface's job. opec is keeping oil prices low to put tar sands out of business too. oil has to be expensive for that inefficient process to be profitable. i pray for mookface every night

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TEAYCHES posted:

you have it wrong, redshirt. this is also going to gently caress up mookface's job. opec is keeping oil prices low to put tar sands out of business too. oil has to be expensive for that inefficient process to be profitable. i pray for mookface every night

They're not going to stop until every drop of oil is squeezed out.

Congress will soon pass that stupid pipeline project and that will only continue this trend.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

redshirt posted:

They're not going to stop until every drop of oil is squeezed out.

Congress will soon pass that stupid pipeline project and that will only continue this trend.

no you dont get it, its not profitable to extract oil from tar sands, its an extremely expensive method of making crude. if congress passes the stupid pipeline, that only causes the price of oil to drop further

the lower the price of crude, the less it pays to invest in ridiculous poo poo like offshore and tar sands

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TEAYCHES posted:

no you dont get it, its not profitable to extract oil from tar sands, its an extremely expensive method of making crude. if congress passes the stupid pipeline, that only causes the price of oil to drop further

the lower the price of crude, the less it pays to invest in ridiculous poo poo like offshore and tar sands

Don't think so. Once you've built the infrastructure for extraction and delivery, you don't just give it up.

Also, as mentioned, US oil production is a literal weapon in a war against petro states and pseudo petro states like Russia.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

TEAYCHES posted:

OPEC has high tech oil producers by the balls, they could literally drop the price to 10 cents/gallon and make a profit still.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

are you saying I can get wife for half price now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

redshirt posted:

Don't think so. Once you've built the infrastructure for extraction and delivery. you don't just give it up.

Also, as mentioned, US oil production is a literal weapon in a war against petro states and pseudo petro states like Russia.

for a liberal you really dont understand how markets work, or the role opec plays in the energy market

• Locked thread