Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

is that a puzzle? what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

corn in the bible posted:

is that a puzzle? what

It is a puzzle where you have to get the number that quickly flashes on screen while crab people fire at you. I decided it would be safer to just try one teleporter over and over because I am stupid.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

That looks really awful. I hope the random number gods have mercy and let you beat that soon.

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008
I completely understood the video. And also why there's only a minute of it.

This game really does save the "best" for last.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ok, I'm going to ask for help, strategies, anything to get past the teleporter puzzle.

At first I thought you just had to fly as fast as you could to avoid the crabs. That wouldn't work. Then I figured you had to freeze them, but they respawn. Between the crashes, the failures and the game I'm just out of ideas. I don't know how many times I have failed this mission, please say there is something obvious. I have a lot of footage and nothing to show for it so far.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

MassRafTer posted:

Ok, I'm going to ask for help, strategies, anything to get past the teleporter puzzle.

At first I thought you just had to fly as fast as you could to avoid the crabs. That wouldn't work. Then I figured you had to freeze them, but they respawn. Between the crashes, the failures and the game I'm just out of ideas. I don't know how many times I have failed this mission, please say there is something obvious. I have a lot of footage and nothing to show for it so far.
Gamefaqs says go to the year 2000; did you do that? Also if you want I can replay the entire game and try to record a video for you, and you can be my guest ;)

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

SUPERMAN 64: 2 EVERYONE ELSE: 0

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Tin Hat posted:

SUPERMAN 64: 2 EVERYONE ELSE: 0

We need a Superman 64-specific variety of kryptonite

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I picture MassRafTer locked in a room somewhere for the entire month of July, endlessly playing Superman 64, never able to quite beat it, weeping bitterly, and I know what Hell is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Niggurath posted:

Gamefaqs says go to the year 2000; did you do that? Also if you want I can replay the entire game and try to record a video for you, and you can be my guest ;)

I would if I could but the crabs keep shooting me before I can! I basically can't figure out a way to get rid of them for good or to avoid them to go through the stupid teleporters before they kill me.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
I found this walkthrough on gamefaqs i ... don't know if it's correct

quote:

You must find the key pieces in this level to disactivate Brainiac's
bad evil crazy and lazy technology. You will have to destroy every
single enemy in this mission to get all of the keys. You will need
each one to go on computers and junk. You will need to go to the
Tnunderdome. Go to the activator. Now follow the directions!
Use red pointers (arrows) to know which lasers to shoot. IT'S THAT
SIMPLY!!! Then you must go to the rooms that are up and below you.
Now you must throw the cans on four teleporters that send enemys
here. Now you must go back in time in the teleporters. Now you have
to help your "friends" out. First meet Jimmy, he will tell some junk
that you will need to know to complete the level. Disactivate
the three white beams. You must do this to help Jimmy from getting
enemies on his butt. Now you must freeze Jimmy to help him
from getting shocked by lightning (wouldn't it kill him anyways?).
Now you have to go to the Thunderdome, and fight some guy named
Brainiac. Now accross from this place should be another annoying
white beam (isn't the whole game annoying, haven't you had enough
of this game yet). Disactivate it! Now the spacecraft is
activated. Now go in the room above you. You will need to destroy
the freaking enemies. You must then activate the freaking console.
Now here comes the action (in the last level)! You must take the
red bomb and bring it to the Thunderdome. Put it in the center
of the Thunderdome. You must now act quick. You have to go to the
teleporters, and make sure you go to the year 2000 (y2k). If you
do not make it....your dead! Also freeze your buddys and push
them into the teleporters also. Or you will not be able to complete
the game. If you survive, well...CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE MANAGED
TO BEAT THE GAME WITHOUT ALSO BEING GLITCHED LIKE THE GAME! Now since
you have completed the game, you can move on to better games like
Soldier of Fortune PC.

so have you tried freezing your buddies and shoving them in the teleporters? i don't know what that means, is the year 2000 screen the screen with all the laser crabs and you have to magically figure out how to subtract the number to 2000?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Playing Soldier of Fortune is a good idea
I suggest putting Soldier of Fortune footage in a corner of the video

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

pathetic little tramp posted:

I found this walkthrough on gamefaqs i ... don't know if it's correct

so have you tried freezing your buddies and shoving them in the teleporters? i don't know what that means, is the year 2000 screen the screen with all the laser crabs and you have to magically figure out how to subtract the number to 2000?

I've read the walkthrough before and am deeply saddened as I realize the teleporter pizzle I am stuck on isn't that close to the end of the level. gently caress. Anyway it seems like there is actually a rhyme or reason to the puzzle (I was originally told it was random) so there's that. I'll post most of the failures I have soon, hopefully this weekend. I can/can't believe I've been stuck on this level for this many attempts with literally zero progress.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
So a trick I've heard from a friend:

There's a group of teleporters that looks like this:

code:
______
X     X|
X     X|_______
                       |
                       |
                 O   |
The O is the thing that lets you move down to a lower floor. the X in the lower right in this configuration always subtracts 25 from your number. You have to enter it 8 times. Also, do not get hit by crabs even once because the section after requires you to lose about half of your health and you will die.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

pathetic little tramp posted:

the section after requires you to lose about half of your health and you will die.

Every fact in this sentence is terrible. Especially that there's a section after the teleporters.

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008
The puzzle is not random, it's just that there are two rooms that look mostly identical to make them feel random. if you keep flying into the same teleporter position, you'll notice that your year keeps changing by the same two consistent amounts. I think I ended up finding a route where I only had to fly into eight teleporters, probably the same one that's posted a few posts up. If that still sounds like too much pain, the speedrun does it in four, and shows the best teleporter to pick in both rooms.

Remember when I said a while back that this game "never stops finding new and creative ways to make people miserable"? Yep. Two nearly-identical rooms.

GauRocks fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 13, 2015

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Well poo poo, I thought for sure I'd missed the end of the LP by now, but who could foresee such a bullshit last level, even by S64 standards? They keep trying to introduce new mechanics and none of them loving work what the hell game.

Well hang tough there brother, you've made it further than any normal man should. In fact, in terms of LPs of this game, is there even another one available? You could take comfort in the fact that once you finish this you'll be the orenronen of Superman 64, that's gotta be worth something right :v:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I think there might be a thing that was done to prove Superman 64 was actually beatable in the old LP challenge thread but there wasn't any commentary done for the videos so this is definitely the most complete Let's Play anyone has managed. I'm really hoping the tips people are giving get you past this last ditch effort by the game to prevent a finish though; it'd be a shame to have to quit this close to the finish line.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I know that this is really, really hard. Unbelievably hard. The hardest thing that you've ever done. And so I just want you to know one thing:

I love you.

That's all.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This is like the final push against the Big Bad, where the hero remembers everything his friends told him on their journey, and finds the strength inside to push that extra inch and win the day.

Except against Superman 64 you need an extra five miles, cause this bitch don't play. Good luck, Mass. I flat out could not make it as far as you have.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Have you considered cheating? Because I feel like it would be justifiable catharsis at this point.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I just want to let you know that I still have faith in you, that you can beat this game.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Yep, still hoping to see the finale of this awful game myself. It's got to be possible, even if only through brute force and once in a hundred attempts luck rather than skill. Of course that's a lovely and unfun thing to put yourself through so don't force it for the sake of e-cred or whatever.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Never lose faith

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

So what ended up happening? I'm guessing it's not so simple as stumbling into a solution for the game's final level.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I can barely remember where we left off, was it that bullshit crab teleporter room where he has to go through certain teleporters worth different values to reach a certain number? My god it's like this game literally hates the player, that isn't even a bug it's just malicious :(

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Takes No Damage posted:

I can barely remember where we left off, was it that bullshit crab teleporter room where he has to go through certain teleporters worth different values to reach a certain number? My god it's like this game literally hates the player, that isn't even a bug it's just malicious :(

Math teleporters. The issue was less that they existed and more that you had no frame of reference for which one was which because everything looks the same and you're almost guaranteed to be disoriented after taking one.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
This game truly earns its "Worst Game of All Time" title. It's just impressively miserable to play. This is the only LP I've seen where I actually started to feel bad each time it updated, because that meant MassRafter put himself through more of it. Perhaps it's for the better.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's funny, though. MassRafter was completely convinced there was no game that was so bad he couldn't beat it, and this game has proven him wrong.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's funny, though. MassRafter was completely convinced there was no game that was so bad he couldn't beat it, and this game has proven him wrong.

In a way, his failure shows off more about the game than succeeding possibly could.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's a lesson about hubris here somewhere.

Just as Metal Wolf Chaos is human civilization's high watermark, the last level of Superman 64 is its nadir. It was foolish of MassRafTer to try and beat it. No mortal has the fortitude.

How they fit so much raw hatred onto an N64 cartridge I'll never know.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Yeah, I think my faith broke.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I just went ahead and watched the last video you posted (Starship Failure) without really looking at anything else.

good poo poo great game

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's a classic story. His opponent seems to have him on the ropes, but ultimately Superman triumphs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

MassRafter v Superman got a perfect 100% on Rotten Tomatoes

• Locked thread