Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gothsheep posted:

I find the trains especially funny in this level. Because the game seems to have no idea what to do with them. They come right out of nowhere, moving too and being too large to really be avoided, and then they hit the player, and the game has no idea how to handle collision between the player and a fixed object, so it just freezes the player in place while they pass through you, and then you move on. I have no idea why they exist at all. It would be really easy to just say 'subway traffic has been shut down' and maybe even have people supposedly held hostage in cars or something, but no.

The only purpose they serve at all seems to be giving you something to fly missiles into, which is hilarious from an in-character stand point. "Oh no, they shot a missile at me! Quick, I'd better use this commuter train as a shield to protect myself!"

They can't even figure out how Superman's level of power should relate to a locomotive.

This game never ceases to amaze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

My favorite thing about the SUB WAY is that the game also can't handle high fps, so in the tunnels the game runs too fast and Superman flies around like a crazy person.

If you're referring to the thing where Superman freezes in place for a second and then launches forward, that's just from getting caught on the geometry. I've had that happen in the ride stages as well, specifically while trying to fly through that one ring from the last ride that was wedged between two buildings. If you're referring to the zigzagging everywhere and constant need to stop and turn around, that's just the regular gameplay running a little faster. Even when you're running at the game's usual low framerates, Superman controls like a bus being driven by a dying fish.

MassRafTer posted:

Hearing the next ride stage is so bad is kind of a downer.

If it helps, it's still way better than the stage before it, just like every other ride stage. I said it was awful, but I think it's pretty clear by now that this entire game is awful. The four levels I was talking about are just memorable in addition to being awful.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

GauRocks posted:

If you're referring to the thing where Superman freezes in place for a second and then launches forward, that's just from getting caught on the geometry. I've had that happen in the ride stages as well, specifically while trying to fly through that one ring from the last ride that was wedged between two buildings. If you're referring to the zigzagging everywhere and constant need to stop and turn around, that's just the regular gameplay running a little faster. Even when you're running at the game's usual low framerates, Superman controls like a bus being driven by a dying fish.

He probably means that Superman seems to fly faster in the tunnel than elsewhere. There's not a lot to load so Superman is just as unwieldy but now even faster!

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
That's the same reason the enemies in Space Invaders get faster as you kill more of them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I've learned something about this level, new update should be up tomorrow. This game is seriously amazing.

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

I've learned something about this level, new update should be up tomorrow. This game is seriously amazing.

Ooh, I bet the same thing happened to you that happened to me. If so, I was really hoping that you would find it. It pretty much made my day when it happened to me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I suspected I was on to something and confirmed it. I found a strategy to beat this level and it works! It also leads to really frustrating encounters with enemies because this game is garbage. Come check it out, you need to see how you beat this level.

Part 18 (Superman Wins The Metro): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reGYgOMehHY

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That was indeed amazing.

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008

GauRocks posted:

If any level in this game deserves a gamebreaking glitch that lets you skip the entire level, it's this one.

I think I've already made my opinion on this level pretty clear. I don't even know how you were intended to beat the level legitimately, because I found that by accident and I wasn't going to question it.

Please don't look up anything about the next level. I've been waiting the whole LP to see how you end up dealing with it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Superman is in a computer simulation of Metropolis?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mraagvpeine posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Superman is in a computer simulation of Metropolis?

That is the premise of the game, yeah. A bad, glitchy simulation, apparently Lex put only as much effort as he absolutely had to.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Holy poo poo this level made me angrier when I saw how to beat it than it did when it was killing you.

What on earth was anyone who worked on this game ever thinking?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GauRocks posted:

I think I've already made my opinion on this level pretty clear. I don't even know how you were intended to beat the level legitimately, because I found that by accident and I wasn't going to question it.

Please don't look up anything about the next level. I've been waiting the whole LP to see how you end up dealing with it.

I can't look it up in the strategy guide and I won't look at GameFAQs unless I have failed something several times or have an inkling I know what to do and want to confirm it. It'll take a bunch of failures for me to resort to that in a ride stage.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So Superman stops Lex's goons from taking over the metro by leaving after punching like 10% of them, maybe. Sounds good.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

So Superman stops Lex's goons from taking over the metro by leaving after punching like 10% of them, maybe. Sounds good.

Well, they're taking over Lex's computer simulation of the metro. So why does Superman even care what happens to it in the first place? Or to anything aside from his kidnapped friends in the rest of the game?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

That is the premise of the game, yeah. A bad, glitchy simulation, apparently Lex put only as much effort as he absolutely had to.

Well, if you think about it would work in Lex's favor to have Superman get stuck in walls or unable to figure out how the gently caress he's supposed to progress, wouldn't it? The game crashing means that lex has won just that much more.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

THE SEVENTH RIDE! It is almost over. For much of this level I wondered why I was warned about this level. There was some bullshit but I got through it. Then it happened. This game is so loving stupid.

Part 19 (Seventh Ride): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnzadVQZT8E

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Ahahaha, what the gently caress.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
It would of made more sense if they were all like that. Doesn't Lex call it a maze?

A straight line is a pretty poor maze.

Waiting until the absolute last segment to actually make it a maze is just plain bad design, though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Well that was stupid.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I wouldn't put it past them to have a basic each ring adds x seconds to the timer. If you do that you can let almost anyone make a ride stage and have it completable.

Also when you were out in the middle of nowhere supes was going faster.

Edit: They actually made a maze!

Major_JF fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 25, 2015

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Man, the start of this video. You are so sick and apprehensive of this, it's like the beginning of some kind of break down. And to think when you started this LP you tried to be positive and even kinda enthusiastic. But it's understandable given the bullshit of this game so far, and particularly the bullshit of this level. It was bad enough when you were just having trouble trying to get through badly designed, erratic ring paths, and when those minigames are bad, they are really loving bad. There were a couple of times I thought we'd arrived at "Then it happened". Then you got to the final section, and wow that is some really botched, idiotic design. Anyone here know if there's any kind of logic or something behind that bit?

Also, I definitely noticed before how the game makes you move a lot faster when it's not struggling to render things like buildings, or enemies. Does that also trip up the timer too, or does it just make Superman faster and more jittery without speeding up the clock? Would explain why you always have an extra three or four minutes at the end of each of these ring sections.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

Ahahaha, what the gently caress.

Yeah.

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008
You solved that surprisingly quickly by going down the end path first. Finding that real goal early probably saved you a good fifteen or twenty minutes.

Here's a fun fact about this level: there is always one green ring somewhere. I know this, because I ended up solving the level by following all the obvious rings, backtracking Superman's entire flight path, and finding out that one of the branching side paths was actually lit up. Then I did the same thing many more times until I learned which ones lit up in sequence and flew through every single ring in the level, which finally took me to the real goal. Why did I decide on such a stupid, pointless waste of time? A glitch, of course. I had figured out which goal was the real one by the audio cue, but the two times I tried to fly down the path straight to it, the gray rings killed me like they normally would in any other level. I have no idea how or why that happened, because everyone else I've ever seen playing the level just flies down that path and wins. Whatever caused it, I spent three hours on this level learning how to navigate through the city and find places without the aid of the rings. I was absolutely livid the first time I saw someone fly right on down that path and beat the stage in two minutes.

At any rate, congratulations on solving Lex Luthor's maze. The last level, well... At least you won't need to hurry up and freeze any tornadoes.

GauRocks fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 25, 2015

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

You suffer for our gaming sins and we thank you for it.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I think I just realized what this game reminds me of. I like to think there's some alternate universe where there are levels after Superman escapes the simulation and they all play flawlessly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I just recorded a big batch of multi-player. It's everything you could imagine and more.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It's hard to believe it's almost over, but that ring maze was fantastic and I only hope it gets topped by either the last action stage or multiplayer.

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It's hard to believe it's almost over, but that ring maze was fantastic and I only hope it gets topped by either the last action stage or multiplayer.

Why hope for just one?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Finally caught up with the thread. I was hoping you'd be done by the time I did but like you said I can see how you wouldn't be looking forward to pumping out S64 videos every few days. Gotta admit when I first started the LP I didn't care much for your commentary, I thought you already sounded monotone and depressed. But as the game went on I came to appreciate your consistency and reliability when it came to talking over this game, where most would have devolved into screaming profanity at every glitch and hiccup long ago. Thread's been pretty quiet since updates slowed down so I just wanted you to know there's still people looking forward to seeing the next video :)

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Hell I played this game and had no idea/recollection of there being multiplayer. I'm ridiculously excited to see what a trainwreck it is and if it's something worth torturing friends with.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

MassRafTer posted:

I just recorded a big batch of multi-player. It's everything you could imagine and more.

More than what you can imagine is exactly the sort of thing I think you don't want from this game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ironslave posted:

More than what you can imagine is exactly the sort of thing I think you don't want from this game.

But at some point in the game, you get it anyway.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SUPERMAN 64 MULTIPLAYER! We recorded a bunch of Multiplayer Fight, which as you might guess is the game's death match mode. It's quite the mode. Join us as we venture into the Town, Ship and Subway to battle, learning as we go. The audio is a bit rough since this was recorded spur of the moment. I basically just laid my headset between the two of us. I apologize for the noise of bags rustling every once in awhile, we had delicious snacks from Super 88 (as should be apparent.)

Part 20 (Multiplayer Fight): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SugfWAh5IFo

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008
You guys played enough of the race mode to qualify as a separate video?

Calling it right now, episode 21 is the best episode of the whole LP.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Haha. That screen shake when you get hit is amazing. Best pvp ever.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
So, am I understanding this right? The multiplayer is actually an entirely different game with separate controls, abilities, and powerups?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
It reminds me a lot of "Foresaken", what with the incomprehensible first person floating vehicle combat in ugly tunnels.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GauRocks posted:

You guys played enough of the race mode to qualify as a separate video?

Calling it right now, episode 21 is the best episode of the whole LP.

It's either the best or the worst.

Ramengank posted:

So, am I understanding this right? The multiplayer is actually an entirely different game with separate controls, abilities, and powerups?

Yep! I actually knew this but had forgotten until I saw the ships flying at me so we were both playing blind. "Move Forward" is B in single and multplayer so that is at least the same?

Robert Denby posted:

It reminds me a lot of "Foresaken", what with the incomprehensible first person floating vehicle combat in ugly tunnels.

Mercy Graves has the Superman logo tattooed on her cheek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I liked how you can't play as Superman even though the picture you see before choosing multiplayer clearly shows him fighting with Braniac, who you can choose.

• Locked thread