Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DrVenkman posted:

This opinion, and ones like it, are the dumbest thing I've heard. Sony leaked all their employees information (Resulting in a class action lawsuit), embarrassed themselves and tanked their own movie just so they can release it again as some sort of stunt?

The ads will be pulled in the next few days and of course the movie will eventually get released. But Sony aren't so stupid that they're going to say "Yeah we pulled it because of this, but hey it's coming out in March!".

Don't forget that Sony only actually pulled it because theatre chains did. Had they gone ahead and shown it then this 'lovely stunt' would've fallen apart. This 'stunt' argument has so little merit that I'm surprised people feel comfortable saying it out in public.

FALSE FLAG WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Seriously though, I wonder why they won't at least put it on VOD. Maybe they're considering a delayed theater release and/or they'll put it on VOD once this whole thing blows over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm just happy I don't have to deal with another year where all my friends keep asking me if I saw the Seth Rogan movie yet, and the answer is always no but they keep asking.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

DrVenkman posted:

This opinion, and ones like it, are the dumbest thing I've heard. Sony leaked all their employees information (Resulting in a class action lawsuit), embarrassed themselves and tanked their own movie just so they can release it again as some sort of stunt?

The ads will be pulled in the next few days and of course the movie will eventually get released. But Sony aren't so stupid that they're going to say "Yeah we pulled it because of this, but hey it's coming out in March!".

Don't forget that Sony only actually pulled it because theatre chains did. Had they gone ahead and shown it then this 'lovely stunt' would've fallen apart. This 'stunt' argument has so little merit that I'm surprised people feel comfortable saying it out in public.

No one here is making an argument that sony leaked 100TB of intrrnal data and called in a terrorist threat against people who see their movie... to promote their movie. What it looks like they are doing now is using the shitshow to build buzz. There's quieter ways to shelve a movie forever if that was really their intention.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

raditts posted:

FALSE FLAG WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Seriously though, I wonder why they won't at least put it on VOD. Maybe they're considering a delayed theater release and/or they'll put it on VOD once this whole thing blows over?

It'll be VOD, they just won't announce anything yet because honestly I don't think they know what to do. It's a shame they pulled it altogether because the Drafthouse and others got in touch with Sony to say that they're happy to show it (Drafthouse are now going to show Team America instead).

I would expect something official after Christmas now at least.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

935 posted:

No one here is making an argument that sony leaked 100TB of intrrnal data and called in a terrorist threat against people who see their movie... to promote their movie. What it looks like they are doing now is using the shitshow to build buzz. There's quieter ways to shelve a movie forever if that was really their intention.

How does it build buzz? It would've been an entirely successful movie anyway and any extra profit they would get in theory would be negligible. But, do tell me the quieter way they could shelve a movie? Do they just wait until the 25th and not release it? They put out a simple press release to say the movie was being pulled. That's about as quiet as they could make it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I've really no particular interest in Rogan or Franco's films or lives, but I do find this whole situation terribly interesting and can't help but wonder; what are the odds either of these two men will have careers in Hollywood after this? Like obviously it's victim blaming to blame them and if anyone outside North Korea (or whoever is responsible) is to blame at all it's whatever exec at Sony greenlit this film, but I can't help but feel like Rogan and Franco are the easy scapegoats in all this. Particularly since the odds of any state actors punishing North Korea over this are non-existent. It seems like if Sony/Hollywood wants to punish someone, the only people they *can* punish is the filmmakers/crew.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I've really no particular interest in Rogan or Franco's films or lives, but I do find this whole situation terribly interesting and can't help but wonder; what are the odds either of these two men will have careers in Hollywood after this? Like obviously it's victim blaming to blame them and if anyone outside North Korea (or whoever is responsible) is to blame at all it's whatever exec at Sony greenlit this film, but I can't help but feel like Rogan and Franco are the easy scapegoats in all this. Particularly since the odds of any state actors punishing North Korea over this are non-existent. It seems like if Sony/Hollywood wants to punish someone, the only people they *can* punish is the filmmakers/crew.

I don't think it will have much effect because I think most people in the industry will understand that if the movie were released it would have made plenty of money. I don't think Rogan or Franco will really be blamed, although they will probably need to make something less controversial as their next projects. I'm sure throughout this production of this movie there were plenty of nervous executives that just went with it because hey, its Rogan and Franco how can anything go wrong. They may not have that level of total freedom again for a while, but their careers will be fine.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think it will have much effect because I think most people in the industry will understand that if the movie were released it would have made plenty of money. I don't think Rogan or Franco will really be blamed, although they will probably need to make something less controversial as their next projects. I'm sure throughout this production of this movie there were plenty of nervous executives that just went with it because hey, its Rogan and Franco how can anything go wrong. They may not have that level of total freedom again for a while, but their careers will be fine.

They'll be fine. But it means that a project that's potentially troubling won't see the light of day because now you have hackers and protests to worry about. Sony set a precedent and if that's the case then where do we go next? What's the next big group to get offended by something?

Of course, it also means that VOD is now looking like a more viable market and this day and day release stuff could come back up. It gives Sony a great reason to just release it themselves, but it seems like they're pulling back on that for now.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 18, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Basebf555 posted:

Actually the movie would've probably bombed if none of this firestorm would've happened. It's pretty clear that the Sony Execs thought it was terrible. If anything this might have been a blessing in disguise for them. Agree that it will have little effect on their careers though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

They'll be fine. But it means that a project that's potentially troubling won't see the light of day because now you have hackers and protests to worry about. Sony set a precedent and if that's the case then where do we go next? What's the next big group to get offended by something?

Of course, it also means that VOD is now looking like a more viable market and this day and day release stuff could come back up. It gives Sony a great reason to just release it themselves, but it seems like they're pulling back on that for now.

I'm not sure this really will set much of a precedent because controversial projects have never been made because of brave, adventurous studios(I suppose there have been rare exceptions). Its always because someone gets enough cache in the business that their name alone can get any project greenlit. There will always be some A-list actor or director who is willing to use their clout to get a potentially controversial film made.

And I think the pulling of the movie was much more in response to the threats of violence and terrorism, which wouldn't necessarily be relevant to a lot of other controversial issues.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Actually the movie would've probably bombed if none of this firestorm would've happened. It's pretty clear that the Sony Execs thought it was terrible. If anything this might have been a blessing in disguise for them. Agree that it will have little effect on their careers though.

A few out of touch execs said there was too much swearing and that it was too violent and they disliked it because they didn't know who to market it to. It's probably not worth taking their opinion on board. And it was a comedy coming out on Christmas Day, it would've been just fine.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

This right here is the exact thing I thought of when I heard the cancelled the movie based on threats.

Terrorists are going to kill the theater industry not pirating. (sarcasm on the last bit)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

If the next Seth Rogan/James Franco film comes with the tagline "from the people who brought you a major diplomatic incident", I'll consider this whole mess worthwhile.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Red Bones posted:

If the next Seth Rogan/James Franco film comes with the tagline "from the people who brought you a major diplomatic incident", I'll consider this whole mess worthwhile.

"Their last film was so funny it was BANNED in theaters!"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe rectal feeding and Seth Rogen are now part of our national discourse.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I can't believe rectal feeding and Seth Rogen are now part of our national discourse.

The pillar of western culture :911:

Hope it's still on internationally. I really wanted to see it this Christmas and I can't imagine the DPRK has any terrorist cells in my lovely town.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Krowley posted:

The pillar of western culture :911:

Hope it's still on internationally. I really wanted to see it this Christmas and I can't imagine the DPRK has any terrorist cells in my lovely town.

I'm not convinced that the hackers are anything other than bored teenagers.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I had a free early screening I was going to go to of this tonight, but I guess not anymore.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Loki_XLII posted:

I had a free early screening I was going to go to of this tonight, but I guess not anymore.

Show up with your ticket, you might be able to parlay it into a free movie or something.

You know, if you want to go see some dumb Hobbit poo poo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

Show up with your ticket, you might be able to parlay it into a free movie or something.

You know, if you want to go see some dumb Hobbit poo poo.

That's a good point. Why didn't terrorists threaten the Hobbit instead?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well I kind of hope Seth and James have a lovers spat that turns into a murder/suicide.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CPL593H posted:

Because:

A: The Hobbit makes money!
B: The Hobbit is only offensive to people who don't want to sit through long, boring slogs!
C: The Hobbit features fake dictators getting theirs (I assume, I'm not actually going to watch the movie)!
D: Kim Jong-Un loving loves him some J.R.R. Tolkien!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Am I wrong to the think that even if their formula has run a bit thin, Franco and Rogen seem like genuinely funny, likeable guys?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Frackie Robinson posted:

Am I wrong to the think that even if their formula has run a bit thin, Franco and Rogen seem like genuinely funny, likeable guys?

Yeah, but while this kind of sucks for them I can't really say I'm that upset that I didn't get to see a Seth Rogen movie. It looked funny enough for watching on Netflix if I had nothing better to do at the time though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Frackie Robinson posted:

I'm with you. I've never hated them in anything and generally enjoy them. I think Pineapple Express and This Is The End were hilarious. Neighbors was a nice surprise too.

I'm the moron who actually like The Green Hornet.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I don't think we are going to get this on VOD either. Comcast are refusing to put it up through their VOD, and much like the theaters, once one takes a stand the rest will follow suit.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

LesterGroans posted:

I'm with you. I've never hated them in anything and generally enjoy them. I think Pineapple Express and This Is The End were hilarious. Neighbors was a nice surprise too.

I'm the moron who actually like The Green Hornet.

I'm that moron too. It probably helps that I didn't know/care about the Green Hornet character beforehand.

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

TyrantWD posted:

I don't think we are going to get this on VOD either. Comcast are refusing to put it up through their VOD, and much like the theaters, once one takes a stand the rest will follow suit.

Because North Korean terrorists are going to come blow up my house if I watch the movie? C'mon now, this is ridiculous.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Electric Sugar posted:

Because North Korean terrorists are going to come blow up my house if I watch the movie? C'mon now, this is ridiculous.

Because if, say, Comcast put it out on demand, whoever did this could threaten to hack Comcast next. Most companies probably know their security isn't good enough to protect against that sort of thing (at least not any better than Sony), so they'd rather stay out of the line of fire.

I'm sure the movie will get released months or a year from now when everyone's forgotten about all this. But I can certainly see why companies right now are covering their asses.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, but while this kind of sucks for them I can't really say I'm that upset that I didn't get to see a Seth Rogen movie. It looked funny enough for watching on Netflix if I had nothing better to do at the time though.

The bigger problem here is the awful precedent this is setting.

Erebus posted:

Because if, say, Comcast put it out on demand, whoever did this could threaten to hack Comcast next. Most companies probably know their security isn't good enough to protect against that sort of thing (at least not any better than Sony), so they'd rather stay out of the line of fire.

I'm sure the movie will get released months or a year from now when everyone's forgotten about all this. But I can certainly see why companies right now are covering their asses.

Sony can't collect on the insurance policy if the film is released on video or VOD services.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5gi5g2iDAQ

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CPL593H posted:

No one gives a gently caress about the hobbit.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah but if someone hacked Comcast and was like "cut everyone's rate in half or we'll blow up every Comcast building" and it worked whoever did the hack would be hailed as national heroes.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah but if someone hacked Comcast and was like "cut everyone's rate in half or we'll blow up every Comcast building" and it worked whoever did the hack would be hailed as national heroes.

Hackers, get on it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Neo Rasa posted:

The funny thing is I feel like a corporation like Comcast would take their chances on a threat like that. It's gotta be relatively easy for a successful movie company to cut their losses, get an insurance kickback, and move onto the next movie. I imagine if the demands got any more intense than that they would probably just call their bluff and hope nothing actually happens as a result.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

explosivo posted:

The funny thing is I feel like a corporation like Comcast would take their chances on a threat like that. It's gotta be relatively easy for a successful movie company to cut their losses, get an insurance kickback, and move onto the next movie. I imagine if the demands got any more intense than that they would probably just call their bluff and hope nothing actually happens as a result.

Comcast has the budget to drone bomb whoever threatens them. So yah, they'd call the bluff.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

how many more lovely no name towns are going to use this as an excuse to buy 50 ton tanks for their 8 person police departments?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

how many more lovely no name towns are going to use this as an excuse to buy 50 ton tanks for their 8 person police departments?

They don't need an excuse to do that. They do it anyways.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

MacheteZombie posted:

Comcast has the budget to drone bomb whoever threatens them. So yah, they'd call the bluff.

Half their annual gross would be about 25 billion. I'd definitely order up a few drone strikes for that.

Edit: not to mention the fact that if Comcast were hacked and it took down their entire network for two weeks the outage would really just be business as usual and customers wouldn't even receive a credit for the lost time unless we specifically called them to complain. For most people there isn't really an alternative anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

DrVenkman posted:

It'll be VOD, they just won't announce anything yet because honestly I don't think they know what to do. It's a shame they pulled it altogether because the Drafthouse and others got in touch with Sony to say that they're happy to show it (Drafthouse are now going to show Team America instead).

I would expect something official after Christmas now at least.

Except now Paramount is blocking Team America as well.

• Locked thread