Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf
Why is your username what it is? Does it have a special meaning? Perhaps it's a hilarious pop culture reference? Maybe you just slapped your dick on the keyboard and said gently caress it?

Explain why you chose your username! :toot:

As for me, I was gifted this username by Lowtax in the Post here to become members of the 1986 MLB Topps trading card series thread. Apparently he was a pitcher "nicknamed Starvin' Marvin."

EDIT: jesus christ, my worst gbs nightmare is coming true. Title should say CHOOSE, not chose. Could a nice mod help me out? :ohdear:

Kosher Pickup Line fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
i was given my name, and several of the ones before that

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i didn't, ralp did

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i thought the thread was for a new name for gbs

its the curse of not reading threads

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
nah

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf

gary oldmans diary posted:

no, now explain who gary oldman is and why you are his diary?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
mine was suggested in a thread where i asked for a new username

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

gary oldmans diary posted:

its the curse of not reading threads

Though I did not choose my name, I did name gbs

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf

The Wizard of Poz posted:

mine was suggested in a thread where i asked for a new username

yours is an example of a good username! it references both the Wiz' of Oz and that one bugchasing site on weekend web.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
yeh, that's right. what you posted is true.

ASSASSINS!
Jan 2, 2009
i really liked lightning bolt when i chose it

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It's a strong, clean and powerful name, like me

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

your name is poo poo mate

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I am felonious, and also I am drunk. Not too difficult, OP

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Posted in an rear end in a top hat thread

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Somebody had to do it eventually.

spatula massacre
Aug 2, 2012

I don't want to be your little research monkey boy, the creature that I am is only going to destroy.
why'dya think OP?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nobody gives a single gently caress

Nekodoshi
Aug 4, 2007

I'm only as smart as the content of my posts.
My username is based on the tale of the chinese zodiac. When Buddha invited the animals to his party, the cat was lied to by the rat, and was told that the party where they would be assigned years was on a different date. So that night the cat went to bed, dreaming about a party- and glory- he would never get to have.

Roughly in japanese it supposedly translates to "year of the cat". I guess I strongly identify, i get dicked over a lot in life, mostly emotionally. :smith:

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Nekodoshi posted:

My username is based on the tale of the chinese zodiac. When Buddha invited the animals to his party, the cat was lied to by the rat, and was told that the party where they would be assigned years was on a different date. So that night the cat went to bed, dreaming about a party- and glory- he would never get to have.

Roughly in japanese it supposedly translates to "year of the cat". I guess I strongly identify, i get dicked over a lot in life, mostly emotionally. :smith:

what the gently caress is this retarded poo poo hahahaha

spatula massacre
Aug 2, 2012

I don't want to be your little research monkey boy, the creature that I am is only going to destroy.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548525&highlight=

probs more too.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Because aardvarks are awesome.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
elpintogrande name change thread.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
I heard fragmaster was some dude here, and at the time I gave all my wow characters fart names.

If a mod or someone could change it to whatever stupid thing I don't think of, that'd be cool.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Long, long ago (in 1976) I was part of my high school's computer team. Back then, we didn't really have a computer at our school, we had a teletype unit and a suitcase-sized 300 baud modem. With this, we would connect to the mainframe at MIT, which was only about 30 miles away. We used this access to help students look for colleges that had the classes and majors they were interested in taking. All of this was controlled by various numeric commands, to access various folders and command functions. One day when no students required a search, I began a systematic search. We had a short list of numeric commands, I began putting in other commands. Eventually I had a fairly large list of various commands that allowed me to access all kinds of things, like text files, proto-email and contact information for staff, post-docs and grad students.

At the same time, I was doing a research paper on Genetic Engineering. This was a new field (the first organisms, bacteria, had been genetically modified just 3 years earlier, in 1973. I was eager to learn about this, so I messaged some grad students and an associate professor to get information. They got back to me, but the professor pointed out that what I was doing was prohibited, as I was cracking the system (MIT uses the term "Hacking", not for computers, but for pranking) The professor was willing to give me limited access to the system, so I could continue my research, on the condition that I ceased all further attempts at cracking. I agreed.

The professor, tongue firmly in cheek, gave me the username "Genesplicer" or "Gensplcr" because they were limited to 8 characters. I have used it ever since.

So, if you do the math, I have used this username for 38 years. Which is somewhat longer than the average goon has been alive.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Kuato seemed OK to me, so made it my username/avatar combo. My original name was my e-mail address preface.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

genesplicer posted:

Long, long ago (in 1976) I was part of my high school's computer team. Back then, we didn't really have a computer at our school, we had a teletype unit and a suitcase-sized 300 baud modem. With this, we would connect to the mainframe at MIT, which was only about 30 miles away. We used this access to help students look for colleges that had the classes and majors they were interested in taking. All of this was controlled by various numeric commands, to access various folders and command functions. One day when no students required a search, I began a systematic search. We had a short list of numeric commands, I began putting in other commands. Eventually I had a fairly large list of various commands that allowed me to access all kinds of things, like text files, proto-email and contact information for staff, post-docs and grad students.

At the same time, I was doing a research paper on Genetic Engineering. This was a new field (the first organisms, bacteria, had been genetically modified just 3 years earlier, in 1973. I was eager to learn about this, so I messaged some grad students and an associate professor to get information. They got back to me, but the professor pointed out that what I was doing was prohibited, as I was cracking the system (MIT uses the term "Hacking", not for computers, but for pranking) The professor was willing to give me limited access to the system, so I could continue my research, on the condition that I ceased all further attempts at cracking. I agreed.

The professor, tongue firmly in cheek, gave me the username "Genesplicer" or "Gensplcr" because they were limited to 8 characters. I have used it ever since.

So, if you do the math, I have used this username for 38 years. Which is somewhat longer than the average goon has been alive.

That owns

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf

genesplicer posted:

Whoa! That's pretty cool!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

its a reference to my gf

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

genesplicer posted:

nerd

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
let me paint you a picture:

it is the year 2006, and im gay

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I was drunk reg'ing

forward pass
Dec 9, 2005

Y'all get back now.
It was available.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Marvin Freeman posted:

EDIT: jesus christ, my worst gbs nightmare is coming true. Title should say CHOOSE, not chose. Could a nice mod help me out? :ohdear:

heh no, you are stuck with it

to answer your poorly worded question, mine is a combo of one of Bill & Ted's favorite words and the ancient Egyptian word for "peace"

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

genesplicer posted:

Thats a great story man, I'm glad you're still around :)

I'm just a goofy Grateful Dead song as I registered in my "wilder" days.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

As I tell my students, "Duh."

The cool part was I had access to MIT, but also to other colleges on something called the ARPANET. It was pretty freaking cool!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i was super into the wheel of time when I was a teen

I win again, Lews Therin

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

I am what you would call "noveau poor".

Just kidding, I have always been a poor uneducated prole. the "new" part comes from my penchant for doshonesty

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

gnarlyhotep posted:

heh no, you are stuck with it

to answer your poorly worded question, mine is a combo of one of Bill & Ted's favorite words and the ancient Egyptian word for "peace"

Be a nice mod! Please rename thread to "why did you choice your username?"

A monkey would make a silly detective. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Marvin Freeman posted:

Maybe you just slapped your dick on the keyboard and said gently caress it?

Nailed it!

• Locked thread