Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
would the US win?
yes. america rules and the enemy would face terrible losses
yes, but barely. the coasts would occupied but cruz would be holding out in the rural areas
no, america would be wiped out.
goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
the year is 2017. the world's nuclear arsenal have been disarmed by the obummer treaty of 2015. president cruz begins his genocide against democrats. the world declares war to end the genocide.

assume that the genocide is performed by young republicans that would otherwise not be in the military, that the military is exclusively full of republicans and every democrat would be worthless militarily, that all strategic nuclear weaponry is gone (but not things like nuclear powered carriers, etc), and that the united states is at war with a coalition of every single country on the planet. also, the only requirement for victory is that the united states must defend its shores and maintain the federal government long enough to complete ted cruz's second term as president.

could the united states win? i want to see fair argument from both sides here. i have my opinions but i don't want to bias the discussion by using my authority as OP to influence the debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
no theyre too fat lol

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

no theyre too fat lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if there was no use of nuclear weapons I don't really see how anyone could beat us

and that was 2011 we've only spent more since then afaik

for one thing we've got a way bigger navy than anyone else by far, like we have 11-12 aircraft carriers and meanwhile the next country on the list has 2-3 (and they aren't as good as the US ones).

if all we had to do was defend and not try and occupy the whole globe and no one could use nukes on us I think we'd have a fair shot.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
yeah the US navy would decimate the rest of the world's pretty quickly and then they'd just keep launching cruise missiles into countries until they surrendered.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Moridin920 posted:

if there was no use of nuclear weapons I don't really see how anyone could beat us

and that was 2011 we've only spent more since then afaik

for one thing we've got a way bigger navy than anyone else by far, like we have 11-12 aircraft carriers and meanwhile the next country on the list has 2-3 (and they aren't as good as the US ones).

if all we had to do was defend and not try and occupy the whole globe and no one could use nukes on us I think we'd have a fair shot.

where is all the oil coming from to make your things work

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

All those illegal Mexicans will act as fifth column and BAM republicans were actually right all along. Prez Cruz is probably one of them.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

duckmaster posted:

maybe you havent heard but the us actually has a gently caress ton of oil in it its just weird to get to

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sure, the rest of the world has basically negligible capacity for overseas operations, because why would you even bother fighting a country halfway around the world?

Can we add a magical land bridge from Asia/Europe to Canada?

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If every country on earth stopped trading with the US during the war it might do more damage than any actual physical war itself.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Ya except against north Korean hackers

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm pretty sure we still have enough nukes to make the planet uninhabitable, so it depends on your definition of "defeat"

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

duckmaster posted:

the us, canada and mexico, where the usa gets most of its oil from

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Simstim posted:

the us, canada and mexico, where the usa gets most of its oil from

so the US has to defend canada and mexico as well to win this war?

it's getting harder!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The foreigners would pretty much have to ride cargo ships or something over and vaporizing every last one of those would be the one application the US's quadrillion-dollar planes that don't fly and boats that don't float are actually completely qualified for. I guess they could head across the north pole through canada, but driving through canada would leave them bored, listless, and unwilling to fight, gradually wandering off to Tim Hortons blend in seamlessly with the natives.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
could an adult pummel an dendless stream of children into dust? probably, at least for a while before succumbing to fatigue, so the answer op is:

it depends

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

duckmaster posted:

it's getting harder!

no, they just have to defend the oil fields. and that's assuming dictator cruz hasn't enacted mandatory rationing like during ww2

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm pretty sure we still have enough nukes to make the planet uninhabitable, so it depends on your definition of "defeat"

read the rules rear end in a top hat

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

duckmaster posted:

it's getting harder!

Nobody's going to invade Mexico are you kidding me they have entire fields of just heads there. Any invaders trying to get into WWIII from the south will route around mexico through the gulf cause it's just too violent. And attacking canada has its own set of issues as noted above.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The numbers game suggests the US could hand every other country on the planet its rear end.

But let's be honest: we're far too incompetent for it to actually play out like that. We'd trip over ourselves fighting a war on every front. We'd find a way to lose.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
yeah the us is p good at stomping poo poo in

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Simstim posted:

no, they just have to defend the oil fields. and that's assuming dictator cruz hasn't enacted mandatory rationing like during ww2

The day the American people cannot fill up their Hummer H3s is the day the war is already lost

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

have you ever played civ and you're in a completely dominant oposition, in fact imagine you've already completed win coniditions bu chose to continue to game "for fun" / sadistically, and now you leave a few other civs alive to toy with, like surrnounding their cities entirely with armies and occasionally just wrescking their poo poo or making them dow hat you want them to do

for hundresds of years

that's us basically

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The Whole Internet posted:

The numbers game suggests the US could hand every other country on the planet its rear end.

But let's be honest: we're far too incompetent for it to actually play out like that. We'd trip over ourselves fighting a war on every front. We'd find a way to lose.

I feel like immediately after fending off the first wave the US government would respond by trying to invade everywhere, simultaneously

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
You think we're going to lift a finger for the loving Democrats? No thank you.

Sincerely,
The rest of the world

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
the rest of the world would have to gear for total war which would be painful but would win in the end. I'm pretty sure how to build several big badass aircraft carrier isnt really a secret but no one else can afford em atm. However cruz's term would probably be over by the time the united human forces defeat america

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

america would complete the alpha centauri project before the rest of the world could full mobilize and thus america would win by having an entire planet of america

CCrew
Nov 5, 2007

Russia hosed us up pretty bad in a simulation I saw once called modern warfare, so no OP

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the concerted effort of the entire world to destroy the crazed goliath of the united states is a fascinating contemplation, i imagine six or seven normal people, who have rarely had to deal with such terror in their lives, physically subduing a violent psychotic, perhaps a huge one like andre the giant, hoping against hope they can quell his murderous rage before they are all crushed to death in his mighty hands

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You mean take over and occupy the rest of the planet? Lol no, not until we finish developing Terminator legions.

We would rule the oceans with our 10 carrier battle groups and ~40 nuclear subs, though, and the navy could gently caress up any place within a few hundred miles of the coast.

Freestyle
Sep 2, 2014

by R. Guyovich
lmao we couldn't even defeat unorganized, illiterate, malnourished goatherders who fight with 40 year old soviet surplus gear and drive 80s pickups, and you ask if we could defeat the rest of the world?? How much time do you spend playing CoD?

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
to be fair those goatherders are the strongest enemies available

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

dirty mountain dudes are the paper to the civilization's rock

cf. ibn khaldun's muqaddimah

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

If we're seriously talking the whole world uniting against the US, then yeah, US would lose just like Nazi Germany did to Soviet Russia.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Concerned Citizen posted:

all strategic nuclear weaponry is gone (but not things like nuclear powered carriers, etc)

make the nuclear powered subs/carriers meltdown and autopilot/suicide crew them onto enemy shores

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

without nukes the US navy would beat the rest of the worlds navies, it's larger than nearly every other navy combined, wed defeat mexico and canada in a land war very quickly securing both borders and then steadily conquer latin america, probably europe and africa. probably wouldnt be able to defeat the asian countries on land

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Machai posted:

make the nuclear powered subs/carriers meltdown and autopilot/suicide crew them onto enemy shores

there would be like 50 areas around the world where you are told not to get near like 15 miles of them?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I completed, like, most of high school and I listen to talk radio all day, so you can assume I basically know everything there is to know on any subject. Economically speaking, it's not like we get anything critical to our very infrastructure from a bunch of dirty goddamn foreigners. We can get along without the rest of the world, but can they say the same for us? Without our Bud Light, NASCAR T-shirts, and Adam Sandler movies the rest of the world crumbles into a Mad Max hellscape within six months.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
we could actually just wait and most of the world would starve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
like with most fights, it's all about who gets the first punch.

see 9/11. we lost that war b/c they got the first punch (WTC centers)

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

• Locked thread