Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sax
Mar 30, 2008

I'm your coffee, pal! :coffeepal:

boom boom boom posted:

Oh yeah, if you love super overproduced constant noise. I heard an episode where they added background noises to try to get across the concept of silence.

Radiolab also had (or still has?) this awesome feature where the they'd play an old school answering machine BEEEEEP before playing someone's recorded message, and the beep was easily twice as loud as any other sound in the show. Which is awesome when you're listening with earbuds.

Basically the sound design for that show is loving terrible.

e: and I don't care about serial because the market is kinda saturated with "Man kills girl" right now.

Sax fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
Serial was interesting for maybe the first couple episodes.Then it just kept dragging on forever and ever.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWVT5pP_l9qRjvfpD5LaA5AMC3y4CNgbf

Or:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6ab2d45a77/the-last-episode-of-serial

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Podcasts You Drive Your Volvo To

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

kaynig

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

i started listening to http://swordandscale.com/category/podcast/ and the episodes are hosed up and the host uses dramatic music and melodramatic speech to emphasise the creepiness of the cases. it made me feel uneasy about my voyeurism and i hope he's replaced with a nice white lady so i can continue chatting about dead teens with my work colleagues without dissonance.

jk, http://swordandscale.com/sword-and-scale-episode-27/ is about a bunch of fd up rednecks and a woman covering for her son's murderer by trying to blame her other son (also the murderer's son), so i feel plenty superiro

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Bringing this back because I'm listening to the last episode and want to note this new example of boomboomboom being wrong.

Sax posted:

e: and I don't care about serial because the market is kinda saturated with "Man kills girl" right now.

Real life also has too much of this for my taste. Super played out.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
UYD 4 life

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Tegan and Sankara posted:

i started listening to http://swordandscale.com/category/podcast/ and the episodes are hosed up and the host uses dramatic music and melodramatic speech to emphasise the creepiness of the cases. it made me feel uneasy about my voyeurism and i hope he's replaced with a nice white lady so i can continue chatting about dead teens with my work colleagues without dissonance.

jk, http://swordandscale.com/sword-and-scale-episode-27/ is about a bunch of fd up rednecks and a woman covering for her son's murderer by trying to blame her other son (also the murderer's son), so i feel plenty superiro

This sounds real good

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
NPR is such poo poo. besides listening to the news it's either nerds jacking off about some stupid science poo poo or rich white people recounting their non-problems as kids with their parents/siblings or their non-problems in current life.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

sea tbelts

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

detectivemonkey posted:

Bringing this back because I'm listening to the last episode and want to note this new example of boomboomboom being wrong.

I will admit I wasnt expecting it to just stop, but with maybe a surprise serial killer and an appeal maybe several months after the show stopped.

Aside from this, I've almost never been wrong.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

fits my needs posted:

NPR is such poo poo. besides listening to the news it's either nerds jacking off about some stupid science poo poo or rich white people recounting their non-problems as kids with their parents/siblings or their non-problems in current life.

It's hard to listen to, even for a big old liberal like me. I remember there was a segment on some poor middle class white woman who was being persecuted by her neighbors because there was a written homeowner's agreement not to hang dry clothing outside and she insisted on doing her part for the environment by hang drying :thumbsup:

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

boom boom boom posted:

Oh yeah, if you love super overproduced constant noise. I heard an episode where they added background noises to try to get across the concept of silence.

Yeah, Radiolab would be good if it wasn't for the sound effects and music. They don't add anything of value to the podcast, they're just distracting and annoying.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
These shows feel like the kind of self-congratulatory superficial essays the producers were trained on in college and continue to write for Slate / New Yorker / Salon / etc. The people being interviewed are actually providing all of the content and insights, but the pacing and editing style reduces them to inhuman quotation banks for the "charismatic radio-friendly personalities" to use.

Seriously, shut the gently caress up hosts/editors and let an idea breath. And it's made for an audience terrified their kids have focus and attention problems.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Fandyien posted:

Podcasts You Drive Your Volvo To

i drive a volvo station wagon and i enjoy serial

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

fits my needs posted:

too bad it's the only decent source of news on the radio

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I have to let the internet know that I find it kind of weird that so many listeners of the podcast are convinced Jay murdered Hae and that Adnan is not guilty. I was desperate for some forum reading about Serial so I turned to Reddit and found may people posting there really have it in for Jay. I feel bad for him.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
I've listened to maybe 4 episodes of Serial and while it's really good and engaging I kinda feel like pawing over this poo poo for my entertainment is kinda ghoulish, especially given that some people at the end were like "wow what the gently caress an inconclusive ending??? what????" as if they'd forgotten they weren't listening to radio CSI and expected a cool resolution.

that's my extremely unique and boring opinion thanks for readign

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
It's extremely ghoulish and I feel like Sara Koenig initially saw an angle where her perceived investigative powers could do some good when she initially learned about the case. Instead Serial seems to have further made a mess of real peoples' lives for nothing more than entertainment.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Jay just gave his account of the events. Completely different from what he told the jury and perjuring himself in the process.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/12/29/exclusive-interview-jay-wilds-star-witness-adnan-syed-serial-case-pt-1/

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/12/30/exclusive-jay-part-2/

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

the black husserl posted:

too bad it's the only decent source of news on the radio

20 people were shot in congo today
50 people blew up on a bus in sri lanka today
112 chinese factory workers burned to death in an accident today
2344 women were raped in India last night
etc.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

20 people were shot in congo today
50 people blew up on a bus in sri lanka today
112 chinese factory workers burned to death in an accident today
2344 women were raped in India last night
etc.

Jay's getting around.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

Oh sorry, I thought this was the thread for people who are fans of serial loving. (:yum:?)

Serial Fucker would be a pretty good name. Did raspy use that one yet?

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

mysteryberto posted:

Serial was interesting for maybe the first couple episodes.Then it just kept dragging on forever and ever.

This. It's first half is really engrossing, and the second half is just a lot of wheel spinning before it peters out and you're left disappointed.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

this isn't how you perjure yourself and the Baltimore DA isn't charging its main cooperator in a huge murder conviction with perjury especally while the convicted party's appeal is pending

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Has Jay ever told the same story about that day twice?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

FordPRefectLL posted:

i drive a volvo station wagon and i enjoy serial

v70 1999 4 life
just like gus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe